Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We can still troll people easily enough; imagine BJ and the others having to address us with the respect that a foreign general is due when we go to compete at the Huashan summit.
Why would they have to? Would we wage war on China if they don't?

Most of our trolling occurs in battle, anyway
Stuff that happened outside of battles, off the top of my head:
- Condom seller
- Ghost hunter
- Secret police officer
- Operation: Immortal

This is not something a general does in his working hours.

This is grasping for straws. As an official we don't have as much freedom as a free agent. This is not to be contested.

We have plenty of time to do important things.
That means you consider too few things to be 'important', because I certainly don't. Just traveling to Mt. Emei from the north takes a month, and that is only one way. The more places you need to visit, the more time you need for traveling. China is a big country.

Generals have more resources to amass power and territory to themselves than random martial artists, yes?
The offer is not good enough to quit the current line of work.

If you hate palace life, why would you want to be a king, anyway?
Khan, actually. I want to be my own man, not someone else's.

Besides, having Wuni as a liege... He is weaker than Jing and more stupid. He would be a poor substitute for Shun.

Do you think that the average Chinese soldier would actually have more integrity in facing the apprentice of the Southern Maniac?
Don't know. I haven't seen Chinese soldiers covering in fear yet. Didn't say I wanted to be a Chinese general, either.

First wife is just a title, and if anything we have more of a chance to meet up with Yunzi since we're going to be in the area instead of heading away for who knows how many years.
It is a meaningful title, as Jing refuses to make anyone but Qilin his first wife.
The princess is the sourse of our power, we have to listen to her in these matters. She wants a monogamous relationship. If we don't like the terms, we can leave.
Our other girls might be content to be just concubines, but would Yunzi? Being in the area does nothing to improve that.
If the princess is just one of our wives, then it's not a problem. But it is not going to happen while Jing is a member of the Tufan court. She is royalty, and we are not.

I don't see this discussion going anywhere. I list something, you answer with "we'll still be able to do it to a limited extent" or "that's not really important". Well, for me it's important, and I am not going to limit my opportunities and my harem just to become a general in a country I didn't care about yesterday.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Why would they have to? Would we wage war on China if they don't?

They're upright orthodox guys who are expected to adhere to these sorts of customs?

Stuff that happened outside of battles, off the top of my head:
- Condom seller
- Ghost hunter
- Secret police officer
- Operation: Immortal
This is not something a general does in his working hours.

I wouldn't really classify any of that as trolling. Trying to pass enormous amounts of bullshit for the second half, certainly, but not really trolling. Condom royalties really aren't trolling anyone, I think.

This is grasping for straws. As an official we don't have as much freedom as a free agent. This is not to be contested.

And there are many, many benefits that we get in exchange for sacrificing a little freedom in ways that will help Jing to be better at tactics, logistics and so on.

That means you consider too few things 'important', because I certainly don't.

I don't really view much of what we're leaving behind in China as all that important beyond what was mentioned, and even some of that I don't really care that much to do. We can chat with everyone we know isn't going to move around and go to the tournament, that's good enough for me. Wandering aimlessly around for months or years to have a chance encounter with the Sword Saint doesn't really appeal to me.

The offer is not good enough to quit the current line of work.

Do you have a better idea of how to become a king or khan than getting into a position with a lot of soldiers under your command? The current line of work is aimlessly wandering around not even committing to training, Jing needs stuff to do.

Khan, actually. I want to be my own man, not someone else's.

Then maybe you should consider getting into a position to do something about it and give Jing more mass power so that he can achieve that goal? Jing already has the capability to wander off among the Paleo-Siberians or whatever as his own guy, but if you want a khanate you'll need to give a little now to secure power for later.

Don't know. I haven't seen Chinese soldiers covering in fear yet. Didn't say I wanted to be a Chinese general, either.

We haven't really gone up against Chinese soldiers aside from the time where we tore that guy's arm off, and then there'd been both less time for the rumors about Jing to circulate and they had no clue who he was. If you're going to be a Khan you're going to be overseeing some guys, deciding that they're all pussies and unfit for your rule because they don't want to fight you when you're much stronger than them won't get you too far.

It is a meaningful title, as Jing refuses to make anyone but Qilin his first wife.

Jing doesn't want the numbering scheme at all, going from treave's updates.

The princess is the sourse of our power, we have to listen to her in these matters. She wants a monogamous relationship. If we don't like the terms, we can leave.

Treave said that she didn't care for polygamy. There's nothing said about Jing deciding to go through with her wish and kicking Cao'er and Qilin to the curb, Jing's too attached to them to do that.

Our other girls might be content to be just concubines, but would Yunzi? Being in the area does nothing to improve that.

They can all be wives. If Yunzi wasn't put off by Jing's obvious association with already Cao'er, Qilin and Yifang when they were all together I'm not sure why she'd suddenly put her foot down for swapping out Yifang with the princess here.

I don't see this discussion going anywhere. I list something, you answer with "we'll still be able to do it to a limited extent" or "that's not really important". Well, for me it's important, and I am not going to limit my opportunities and my harem just to become a general in a country I didn't care about just yesterday.

This discussion isn't to convince you, I know that you pick one option and stubbornly stick with it. I've never been able to say something to make you decide that you'll flop on some issue, why would you start now? But I want to go over this generally because I think that most people here would actually want to go with C if they considered it a bit more.

Nevill

Arcane
They're upright orthodox guys who are expected to adhere to these sorts of customs?
Not when they concern you. When did you adhere to their customs?

I wouldn't really classify any of that as trolling. Trying to pass enormous amounts of bullshit for the second half, certainly, but not really trolling. Condom royalties really aren't trolling anyone, I think.
Trolling or not, this is the kind of activities we won't be able to do.

BTW, 'condom royalties' had Jing pretending to be someone who he wasn't in order to gain entrance to Yuhua Halls for free. It was trolling alright.

And there are many, many benefits that we get in exchange for sacrificing a little freedom in ways that will help Jing to be better at tactics, logistics and so on.
Not seeing them. Money? When was the last time we needed money? We have plenty of pocket change waiting for us in Yuhua Halls anyway, more than we can spend. Power? Power to do what? I don't see those benefits. So far I can't remember when we were powerless to do anything we really wanted.

Oh, Baltika9 wants power to relocate the Fire Temple, but I don't think this is our immediate goal.

I don't really view much of what we're leaving behind in China as all that important beyond what was mentioned, and even some of that I don't really care that much to do.
Ok, I get that. I do, though.

Do you have a better idea of how to become a king or khan than getting into a position with a lot of soldiers under your command?
Certainly. You only need to murder the previous one accidentally, and you are all set. Worked for the title of a general.

WIf you're going to be a Khan you're going to be overseeing some guys, deciding that they're all pussies and unfit for your rule because they don't want to fight you when you're much stronger than them won't get you too far.
They had their orders. If they are too cowardly to carry them out, they are poor soldiers.
It took them an hour to apprehend us, and we didn't even move. Pah!

Jing doesn't want the numbering scheme at all, going from treave's updates.
But that is still a thing for the purposes of the court.

Treave said that she didn't care for polygamy.
ORLY?
Sure. She says she wouldn't really know but she believes relationships should be monogamous. And then she gives you a suspicious stare.

They can all be wives.
ORLY?
You'll probably be appointed a minister or general, ceremony is soon and they're okay with polygamy but no way in hell Jing is going to make her his main wife over Qilin so you have a bit of a problem there.
To reiterate - the court is ok with polygamy as long as the princess is the main wife, else we have a problem. The princess herself wants monogamy.

I'd say there is a problem, and you are trying very hard to ignore and downplay it.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
She says "she doesn't know but thinks relationships should be monogamous."
She's undecided. Qilin will "help" her decide.
:incline:

Nevill

Arcane
She says "she doesn't know but thinks relationships should be monogamous."
She's undecided. Qilin will "help" her decide.
The court still needs her to be the main wife. It is a matter of prestige. She is their princess.

And we have this:
no way in hell Jing is going to make her his main wife over Qilin

And then we have Yunzi, and I doubt she would want it, either.

Kipeci

Arcane
Not when they concern you. When did you adhere to their customs?

Not if we aren't a figure like a general that they do need to publicly respect the rank of, at least.

Trolling or not, this is the kind of activities we won't be able to do.

BTW, 'condom royalties' had Jing pretending to be someone who he wasn't in order to gain entrance to Yuhua Halls for free. It was trolling alright.

'Pretending to be someone else' isn't trolling. We were legitimately a peddler of condoms in that scene. Maybe if the condoms had all turned out to be fake and we'd swindled Yuhua Hall out of a lot of money it could be called trolling, but that was not trolling. At any rate, Jing should still be fairly capable of pulling that sort of thing with folks who don't know Jing's roll. If anything it allows for more trolling opportunities in many situations because he can reveal that he is a Tibetan general casually. Have you ever seen any dramas where some minor authority figure takes issue with a king or emperor in disguise and attempts to pull some sort of petty punishment on them before the guy reveals themselves so that the minor authority figure shits themselves? That sort of thing is still very possible.

Not seeing them. Money? When was the last time we needed money? We have plenty of pocket change waiting for us in Yuhua Halls anyway, more than we can spend. Power? Power to do what? I don't see those benefits. So far I can't remember when we were powerless to do anything we really wanted.

Oh, Baltika9 wants power to relocate the Fire Temple, but I don't think this is our immediate goal.

You're the one saying that you want to carve out a kingdom, having troops and authority on top of cash and influence really goes a way towards making that happen more than just being some guy. It also keeps things stable in Tibet without needing to boost zhang to some sort of authority, further enlarges the harem, allows for much more hardcore Tibetan training and Fire Cult involvement, etc.

Certainly. You only need to murder the previous one accidentally, and you are all set. Worked for the title of a general.

Alright, so who are you planning on murdering to get their title? I don't think you're going to get a majority behind killing Shun and the imperial family thoroughly enough that someone like Jing could be considered as a contender for a new dynasty. We haven't as of yet seen any option to return to the steppe, and Jing himself said that he was never going there again.

They had their orders. If they are too cowardly to carry them out, they are poor soldiers.
It took them an hour to apprehend us. Pah!

Which orders? Chain of command was a bit disrupted there, I think. A portion of that time was doubtlessly a part of them figuring out who in the world was in charge and what to do. Given that they'd just seen Jing kick an axe into the heart of their king amidst other badass feats like deflecting lasers with swords and so on, I can understand some amount of hesitation.

To reiterate - the court is ok with polygamy as long as the princess is the main wife, else we have a problem. The princess herself wants monogamy.

I'd say there is a problem, and you are trying very hard to ignore and downplay it.

Marry her, marry everyone else when we get the chance. What's so hard about this? If Qilin isn't the first wife, so what, it's a number.

Nevill

Arcane
Sorry. Forgot. Kill the fucker. It is not like we give a damn about what people think about us anymore.
Just so that we are on the same page. You are aware that it makes things more difficult for your country that you expressed the concern for? And not just because he serves Shun?

I've said it plenty of times, but A1 has Princess Jinpa marrying Prince Lobsang and unifying the land - that makes your neighbour twice as big.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So how will this General thing play out, then? What will we be doing in the first place? It sounds like a huge job and responsibility (hell yeah it is, responsible for the security of an entire nation and the lives of all the guys in your charge) so it would be nice to know what our responsibilities, resources (personal and public) and advantages of accepting would be.

It means I'm not going to change the genre of the LP. Things like finally becoming king and managing countries is for the ending. The focus of the LP will always be on adventuring. I think I stated as much before.

asxetos

Augur
Voting B2.

I know i asked for the option to go after zhang in the first place but i was hoping you could throw it in as an extra for the B choice.
I am not going to vote for it directly so that you can later screw us over for whatever reason :P

Baltika9

Arcane
Soooo, if becoming a general prevents us from adventuring and forces us to serve Turfan loyally and forever, what will we be doing then? You didn't really answer my question.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, fuck it.

Okay, I'll let you guys manage the troops with C.

If only to stop the fucking questions.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol: Sorry, didn't mean to drive you crazy. But it's a big decision to make when you're giving out contradictory information, i.e:
"You are prohibited from adventuring and must stay with your new wife or the marriage is anulled."-"The focus of the LP will always be about adventures and wacky wuxia stuffs. You will never play in government roles"
That just leaves me wondering, "okay, what the fuck is the point of us becoming a Turfan General , then? What will we actually be doing."

I'll just stay with B2 for now and drive Turfan into chaos. Hopefully we still get to hook up with Yunzi and spend some quality time with Rob Halford. If not, well, shit.

Nevill

Arcane
Of course. We will run away from marital life in the first month and get back to Manly Tiger Pigging.

Kipeci

Arcane
Alright. We won't even act in our own interests if it requires giving up any scrap of freedom of action, no matter how many bridges it burns or opportunities we lose. I'm at a loss as to how we're ever going to get to that khandom that people want if we're not willing to take any intermediate steps to get to that point, but that isn't even on my list of personal priorities so it's not something I'll argue about on end for. At least B takes the princess with us so that there's still a possible gain to the harem from this debacle.

kazgar

Arcane
Bah, the Btards won with the last update.

this whole Turfan adventure has been fucked from the start, people so busy chasing tail instead of chasing power.

kazgar

Arcane
If we get powerful and kick everyones ass, we won't need to chase a harem, they'll come to us with no effort.

kazgar

Arcane
A1 Fuck this place, Fuck being a general, Fuck marriage, lets see how high that negative unorthodox level can get.

Esquilax

Arcane
A1 Fuck this place, Fuck being a general, Fuck marriage, lets see how high that negative unorthodox level can get.

Bad idea, killing Zhang Manxing unifies the two Tibetan Kingdoms and makes them even more powerful. On the other hand, I'm not fond of kidnapping the Princess and it feels a little EXTREME for my tastes. Also, I'm not sure how Rinchen will react to this - she might have thought to marry Wuni earlier, but with a dead brother and a kidnapped sister, she might step up and become a leader.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom