Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
We had an entire year ahead of us when Zhang told us fulfill his mission. Look where that took us. We got distracted by shiny baubles, almost got ourselves killed, and never actually did what he wanted us to. There is no need to put something off if you can do it right now.

Just when I made a post talking about historical revisionism...

We had six months remaining on that mission, first of all, and the reason that we never completed it was that Lord Zhang, in his infinite wisdom, had changed the mission due to the Frathouse being killed and replaced with the Douchebag Generation.

I was under the impression that the big Fire Cult-Orthodox fight was at the end of the Year that Zhang had given us. If that is incorrect, then it is because I was wrong in remembering, not trying to revise anything. I was more pointing out that we had gone after side-mission after side-mission, all the while saying that we had plenty of time to finish what he had started.

I don't want to pass up this golden opportunity and let us get lost in trivial quests afterward.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Esquilax said:
Let's try and see remain a bit open-minded and see that both options have merit and try not to revise history to suit our arguments, shall we?
Well, apparently, these merits aren't equal in people's eyes.

My problen with Shun is this: 'Dude, I've sat you upon the throne with the Mandate of Heavens, I've brought you the the most brilliant advisor I could find, you've got your constebulary, you've got one of the best secret agents watching out for you, WHAT THE FUCK ELSE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?'

Kashimir Slippers said:
I was more pointing out that we had gone after side-mission after side-mission, all the while saying that we had plenty of time to finish what he had started.
And we ended up performing better in Zhang's eyes than if we would have done what he asked us to.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
And we ended up performing better in Zhang's eyes than if we would have done what he asked us to.

I don't want to belabor the point, but we don't necessarily know how it would have happened otherwise. We also shouldn't just assume that we can always side-quest ourselves into getting the most out of any situation that we can while avoiding the big picture.

And no offense, dude, but I would hate to be your friend if you keep that attitude IRL. There is more to friendship than the give and take. We also shouldn't forget all the help that he has given us during our life. Jing started out thinking that he was an instrument to be used for whatever Shun needs. He may have matured beyond that, but he most assuredly still feel indebted to Shun, or at least that he should help him when he asks for it.

Anyway. I have work to do, so I am ending my DISCUSS!!! here. Have fun everyone!

Esquilax

Arcane
And if you don't mind me interjecting on this point, that is one of the big reasons that I think we should go to Shun. Chasing after Yunzi doesn't really seem like it will have that much merit, as you put it, other than trying to get her to be our Waifu. Going to Shun not only lets us help him when he needs us, it also lets us catch up on what has happened in the last two years. We also want to keep our connection to him strong. We have left him in the cruel, conniving clutches of the Eunuchs, and our anrcho-liberal friend Scholar-bro. He might need some quality time with his bro to keep sane.

That's fair. We need to get up to speed with what's been going on for the past two years. A lot has changed and it seems that Nie Wuxing has enough power to teach shitheads like Zhang Manxing martial arts techniques that are completely outside of his own school. My initial theory here is that Nie Wuxing got a bunch of spineless and corrupt-as-fuck types who would kowtow to him in charge of the Frathouse schools. That motherfucker got his hooks in deep, and Shun is the best way of getting an overview of the situation here, you're 100% right about that.

The other issue is that it seems that the situation is extremely urgent (though we don't know how exactly), so taking a few days to run after the Fire Cult could worsen the situation considerably. If we had waited a few days upon meeting Shun, he would have been forced to exterminate the entire area in which the Wudu Cult resided. You rarely have time.

As for our LIBRUL friend Xiahou Yu, it is only a matter of time before his horribly idealistic policies lead to a multikult China that will usher in an ITZ in the next ten years where life is cheap and baby meat is plentiful. I love Scholarbro, but some of his nonsense must be curbed. /wcds

I was under the impression that the big Fire Cult-Orthodox fight was at the end of the Year that Zhang had given us. If that is incorrect, then it is because I was wrong in remembering, not trying to revise anything. I was more pointing out that we had gone after side-mission after side-mission, all the while saying that we had plenty of time to finish what he had started.

I don't want to pass up this golden opportunity and let us get lost in trivial quests afterward.

That's understandable, you've swayed me on A. However, I felt the need to get that out of my system because I think A LOT of people get stuck on a particular choice and are unwilling to see the benefits of other choices or look at other alternatives. I'm not excluding myself here entirely, but I like to think that I give things a fair shake when I look at a choice.

Well, apparently, these merits aren't equal in people's eyes.

My problen with Shun is this: 'Dude, I've sat you upon the throne with the Mandate of Heavens, I've brought you the the most brilliant advisor I could find, you've got your constebulary, you've got one of the best secret agents watching out for you, WHAT THE FUCK ELSE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?'

The guy is asking for a favour because you've been best friends since you were both babies, he's not ordering you around. :lol: We don't have an Emperor-Subject relationship any more; the man is asking us as our friend to help him out with this predicament, not as our liege. I think that's the most crucial distinction here and that makes me want to help him even more.

As for the best secret agents, his #1 agent for a situation like this is not available:

“Is Tufan so important that Shun is dragging his lazy ass all the way out here?”

“You can ask His Majesty yourself. Actually, we have been trying to find you when it turned out that you had left Yinhu Island. His Majesty has an urgent mission for you back in Tang lands. There is trouble with the Eight Sects.”

“Really. Why would he need me to investigate the orthodox sects?”

“Why would I lie to you?” smiles Gao Ying grimly. “His Majesty has his reasons, and unfortunately due to the nature of my commitments I am unable to help him with this particular issue. Of course, it is up to you whether you want to come or not. His Majesty was very clear on that point. I do not have the time to explain any further.”

He can't get Gao Ying on this and since this is related to matters regarding the jianghu, Xu Jing is his best bet. Given that we have some stature as a martial artist (though obviously not as much after "losing" to Jixuan Wuni) we're in the best position to take care of things.

Flopped my original post to A

Nevill

Arcane
We were in the best position to join the constebulary, and we didn't. We have our own life to live.

We could have missed this meeting completely had we gone with Yunzi a day before. What would Shun do then?

If his plans are always 'call Jing', then I guess he is not going to last long.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Theory: Shun has become anti-bro and wants to distract us while the fire temple is slaughtered.

Additionally, screw all of you for picking the faggoty option last every update. I wanted a princess! That is all.

Nevill

Arcane
Ten years later:

"Jing, there is one immortality ritual that I need your help with. I was told that you are best suited for the task, since we are childhood friends and all..."

Anabanana

Augur
Definitely going for A at this point. He needs our help, and I really want to find out what's going on, not just about Tufan politics, but also the orthodox sects. Nie Wuxing's had two years to consolidate power and I want to know what Bai Jiutian's been up to. I find it a far more intriguing story hook, personally, but hey, that's a matter of taste so.

And I don't think of this as doing a favor for Shun? I want to help him out because he's been our best bro since even before we met Yunzi. It doesn't matter how much we've helped him out before. At all. I don't want to abandon Shun for Yunzi, mostly because it's urgent and he's right here and can we at least meet him to hear him out before deciding whether we want to pursue Yunzi? I get that people really want to go for her but dumping Shun right when he needs you is pretty dickish, in my opinion.

Oh pffft. Now that's just unfair. Shun has always, always been very good about giving us a choice, and we've shown that we're capable of turning him down when we feel like it, such as in the police constabulary choice. I don't think this is going to lead us into being a mindless slave, we're helping Shun out as a friend. We would do the same for Yunzi too, if she got into urgent trouble.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Ten Years Later:

"Oh, Bai, last night was so wonderful. I can't believe how easy it was to trick the old Emperor. You are so dreamy."

"Now, Yunzi, you may take most of the credit. If you hadn't been leading that scoundrel Xu Jing along this whole time, he would have prevented my master plan."

"Oh, Bai, take me again!"

See? Two can play this game. :troll:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Ten Years Later:

"Oh, Bai, last night was so wonderful. I can't believe how easy it was to trick the old Emperor. You are so dreamy."

"Now, Yunzi, you may take most of the credit. If you hadn't been leading that scoundrel Xu Jing along this whole time, he would have prevented my master plan."

"Oh, Bai, take me again!"

See? Two can play this game. :troll:

Is that a promise for lesbian action? Definitely going for B.

Tribute

Arbiter
Am I the only one hoping that when we head back to find out what the Orthodox Sects we find out that Bai Jiutian is fed up with Nie's bullshit and has cut ties with him or something?

We keep getting hints that he might actually be a pretty decent guy, even if he and Jing can't stand each other.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Also one thing I do want to specify is that Shun is not here. He is back in the Central Plains, far, far away. If we go we will have a mission on our hands and might not be able to afford the time to meet up with Yunzi for a good time now.

While if we go to the Fire Cult, it's only a 3 day trip, we'll be back to help Shun in no time.

...said Rex Feral, utterly clueless to treave's grand designs.

Nevill

Arcane
Am I the only one hoping that when we head back to find out what the Orthodox Sects we find out that Bai Jiutian is fed up with Nie's bullshit and has cut ties with him or something?
Ha. Ha. Ha.

He is too smart and savvy for that. He kept the mask on for how many years? If he is fed up with him, he'll try sabotaging him from the inside.

Also one thing I do want to specify is that Shun is not here.
He is.
“Is Tufan so important that Shun is dragging his lazy ass all the way out here?”
[...]
A. You go with Gao Ying to meet Shun. If he has come all the way out here, he must have important plans for Tufan… though it could just be that he is stretching his legs instead of sitting in the palace growing fat.
I'd assume he is even closer to us than the Fire Temple. That does not matter. Once we listen to him, we will accept the mission.

Jing remains Shun's man, Bros before hoes and all that...
I can't believe I missed that. We are Shun's man... just like BRO manxing. :troll:

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane

We keep getting hints that he might actually be a pretty decent guy, even if he and Jing can't stand each other.

No way man, I got the exact opposite impression of Bai Jiutian:

She runs off towards her followers, vanishing down the slope. You are prepared to intercept Bai Jiutian – by throwing yourself bodily at him if need be – but he makes no move to stop her. Seeing the look of mild surprise on your face, he shrugs. “Do you expect me to chase after the Holy Maiden? Yes, I suppose that is what duty asks of me.” He seems more relaxed and casual compared to your encounters with him during the tournament.

“Shirking your duty? Why, your master would be shocked if he knew his prized disciple was such a lazy ass,” you mock.

“No need for vulgarities here, Man Tiger Pig,” says Bai Jiutian calmly. “True, as an upstanding orthodox pugilist I should capture the evil fire witch and have her do penance for the crimes she has committed – that is what my master would want, but…”

“But?”

“Well, I do not need to explain myself to you of all people – I do believe we are not that close.” His smile is gracious and kind, but it feels false and bitter to you. “Now that I have seen what I came here to see, it is time for me to move on to the next item on my agenda.” With one fluid movement the Huashan swordsman draws his blade from its scabbard, its beauty complementing his own. “We have unfinished business from the tournament, don’t we?” Clenching your jaw, you take a stance. Does he plan to fight you here?
The Sword Saint snorts. “Side by side? Somehow, I managed to take the brunt of the fighting. That’s the last time I fight ‘side by side’ with Brother Nie. Well, you should not miss your master’s moment of glory. Better hop on back to his side.” Bai frowns, then his eyes widen. “It can’t be-“ With a frown, he sheathes his sword, mumbling inaudibly to himself. “I’ll be seeing you around, Man Tiger Pig,” he calls out over his shoulder, turning to leave.

The guy is amazing at putting on a mask for everyone. Deep down, I'm pretty sure that BJ is just a snake that is using the respect and prestige of an orthodox sect to get on a power trip. My impression is that he was surprised that Nie Wuxing got picked to be leader of the orthodox world because he was hoping that he'd get the crown instead. The man's public persona and the way that he acted towards us in private seems to imply that he has a dark side that he is very good at hiding.

I don't think that they've cut ties. If anything, they've just been consolidating and getting stronger. They may not have the sheer martial arts skill of Zhang Jue or the Sword Saint, but they've got numbers, clout and resources.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Ha. Ha. Ha.

He is too smart and savvy for that. He kept the mask on for how many years? If he is fed up with him, he'll try sabotaging him from the inside.

Also one thing I do want to specify is that Shun is not here.
He is.
[...]
A. You go with Gao Ying to meet Shun. If he has come all the way out here, he must have important plans for Tufan… though it could just be that he is stretching his legs instead of sitting in the palace growing fat.

Jing remains Shun's man, Bros before hoes and all that...
I can't believe I missed that. We are Shun's man... just like BRO manxing. :troll:

Really. Damn, am I becoming inattentive these days.

Well, fuck, then it doesn't really matter who wins. We can always visit the other after that.

Besides, A would be nice in hearing just how urgent the situation is. If it really is life and death then we could go asap. If not, we could visit yunzi before.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
After reading all of the updates (and also the Epic before that) I must say treave you are good at this stuff.
But to the point - the choices made in last few updates dissapointed me somewhat. Good thing at least that we helped the right guy. Jing should have killed that dickhead Manxing on the first opportunity he had - in the tournament. Still I hope we kill him on first sight next time, Gao won't save him anymore.
I'm chosing B - a few days delay won't change much, orthodox sects are too big on tradition to try something rash.

Also I'd like to propose that on the next possibility we try to improve our qinggong skills - would help us in a tight spot if we have to run. Also we could use it against some of the possible 'tank' ground oriented foes. Upgrading neigong would be immensly usefull agains those ki using monsters that we tend to meet from time to time.

Too bad Jing isn't skilled in any of the long range combat styles, maybe a bit of throwing weapons training could go a long way in giving us more options in the future?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Rex Feral said:
Well, fuck, then it doesn't really matter who wins. We can always visit the other after that.
Let's not pretend that this is the case. If we listen to Shun, we'll go for the mission immediately because 'bros b4 hos! we must save the country! for the Emprah! for the homo ending!'

It's like searching for zhang manxing hoping to talk things out - you know that once you find him you will murder him in the most painful way. It is illogical to think otherwise.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I'd vote for the option that gets zhang the low killed as soon as possible. :hmmm:

Nevermind that, I'm still going for B. No way we leave here without at least a goodbye kiss.

All in all it wasn't so bad here. We managed to get Yunzi's pretender killed, we set in motion Wuni's marriage with the princess. We fought some cool guys.

Nevill

Arcane
We've got Yunzi's personal friend on the throne and supported the faction that wanted the Tufan kingdom to remain independent. We did some manly tiger pigging and slapped the princess on the butt. We helped TRU LUV and I hope we get some Yunzi point out of that once the word gets out. All in a day's work. I'd say it was worth it.

Nevill

Arcane
I wish we could have gained +1SWORDS, but life's not perfect.
Well, there is always Rob Halford. Last time we've met, we could have got +1 SWORDS if we asked him nicely enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom