Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
If we hear him out, I will say that I'll keep my mind open for backing out of Shun's thing if it isn't too relevant for us, but we can't really know what's going on if we don't ask and for the time being it seems that Yunzi's location is more likely to remain stable and known to us than Shun's.
Shun is The Emperor, once he starts adjusting to the changes we've made, we'll find him rather easily. If we ignore the fact that we can have him swing by the Cult later.
Yunzi, on the other hand, is always off doing something for her Cult. Seize the moment and go for our prize.

Kipeci

Arcane
Miecao and the others are not around, we're in the middle of nowhere and it will be quite a while before we hearfrom any of them and learn whatever the urgent goings-on in China are... or, alternatively, we could just talk to Shun right around here, since he's closer to us than Yunzi.

No option here says anything about dealing with zhang, we passed that up two times and I don't think we'll be getting many more chances for a while. Leave that to Qilin and her clan, anyway; she's definitely got that covered.

Yunzi's been at her cult for the past couple of years, we've gotten no hints about her going anywhere while Shun has urgent problems that seem more likely to require him moving around. Why would Shun take on the political liability of dropping by the Fire Temple, anyway?

I need to go to sleep, I just hope that we don't brush off a quick talk with our bro and regret it later.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is about the Eight Sects. Guess who is the disciple under all of their masters. You bet this mission will involve zhang one way or the other, and if we are under our liege's orders, you bet people will vote for keeping him alive just a little bit longer until he actually gets someone killed, because unlike us, he doesn't give a damn about Shun or anything else, is used to impunity due to status, and is dumb as fuck.

The worst part is that I can see people trying to rationalise working with him.

A quick talk argument doesn't work. If the majority of the voters decides to see Shun despite not knowing anything, who is there to prevent them from going with the mission? If we see Shun, we agree to the task.

Last edited:

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Speaking of Zhang. I think that he is another excellent reason why we should vote for A. Not that Shun would necessarily believe anything that he has to say, but the man has proven himself to be a huge self-centered asshole. We really aught to confront Shun about exactly the type of person Zhang is and how he tried to rape our women twice in addition to being a colossal jerk and coward.

I am not saying that Shun will have him killed on the spot, or even be able to do something right now, but we need to let him know that Zhang is bad news and give him explicit reasons as to why. If we run off and look for Yunzi, we are leaving Zhang as the only eye witness of what happened in the city, and you can bet that he already has some story that tries to make himself out to be a hero. I would rather not let him be able to try to wheedle himself into a better position and possibly try to blame this all on us when all that is needed is iron everything out is to have a chat with Shun.

Choosing A could help prevent this problem from becoming something much more sinister as time progresses.

Anabanana

Augur
Eh, Zhang Manxing was assigned to Tufan, presumably with the goal of marrying the princess, whereas this mission is specifically stated to take place back in China.

His Majesty has an urgent mission for you back in Tang lands.

And your argument is backwards; it's precisely because we don't know what he needs that we want to go see him. And it's hardly a majority of voters who want to see Shun, the vote is split halfway right now, and there is a huge contingent of voters who will definitely be voting to go see the Fire Cult even if A wins in this choice.

Nevill

Arcane
Kashimir Slippers said:
We really aught to confront Shun about exactly the type of person Zhang is and how he tried to rape our women twice in addition to being a colossal jerk and coward.
As if Shun or Ying are unaware of what the man is. Gao basically caught him in the act. They keep him around because 'he has his uses', and if you want to work with them, you'll have to accept these rules, too.

Or you can choose to go your own way, murder zhang and deal with the mess later. That way you are not obligated to keep him alive.

Anabanana said:
Eh, Zhang Manxing was assigned to Tufan, presumably with the goal of marrying the princess, whereas this mission is specifically stated to take place back in China.
He was not "assigned". He was invited by the prince of Tufan.
Now that the prince is dead and Rinchen is going to be married to Wuni, zhang will return back to the Central Plains.

Anabanana said:
And your argument is backwards; it's precisely because we don't know what he needs that we want to go see him. And it's hardly a majority of voters who want to see Shun, the vote is split halfway right now, and there is a huge contingent of voters who will definitely be voting to go see the Fire Cult even if A wins in this choice.
I am explaining why the argument does not work. If the majority of the voters vote to see Shun when the reason is not given, the same majority will vote to do the mission once it is explained. Despite a huge contingent of other voters, they will still be a minority.

This is why A choice will result in doing the mission if it wins, and not just "we'll decide when we hear it".

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Speaking of Zhang. I think that he is another excellent reason why we should vote for A. Not that Shun would necessarily believe anything that he has to say, but the man has proven himself to be a huge self-centered asshole. We really aught to confront Shun about exactly the type of person Zhang is and how he tried to rape our women twice in addition to being a colossal jerk and coward.

I am not saying that Shun will have him killed on the spot, or even be able to do something right now, but we need to let him know that Zhang is bad news and give him explicit reasons as to why. If we run off and look for Yunzi, we are leaving Zhang as the only eye witness of what happened in the city, and you can bet that he already has some story that tries to make himself out to be a hero. I would rather not let him be able to try to wheedle himself into a better position and possibly try to blame this all on us when all that is needed is iron everything out is to have a chat with Shun.

Choosing A could help prevent this problem from becoming something much more sinister as time progresses.
Dude. I think Gao Ying and Shun know exactly who they have working for them, this isn't their first political rodeo (it is ours, though. :lol: Jing and politics don't mix, as we've just seen). The only reason Manxing is on this mission is because Brother and Uncle pulled some big strings for his ass.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Be that as it may, it is still a reason to go for A over B. I am not saying that tattling to Shun about Zhang is the be-all-end-all of A. I am saying that it is another benefit of picking A over B.

I am trying to look at this situation with a "pros of A vs. pros of B" viewpoint. Unless I have missed something, I have yet to hear any reason why B is superior to A that didn't involve the harem, dislike of Shun/other pettiness, or how A would unequivocally lock us away from Yunzi. I feel that A has a lot more non-Shun vs Yunzi benefits.

Baltika9

Arcane
Like? A is just exclusively to help out Shun and gather intel.
B is just exclusively to go to the Cult and do our Yunzi thing (five fucking years, two murdered boyfriends and buckets of sexual tension. It's about fucking time) and fulfill our main goal for going to Turfagistan in the first place.

That's all the choices are about. zhang the Inferior can't really do shit because Shun and Gao know exactly who and what he is. Grand Eunuch Wang and his Brother are the only things keeping him useful to them. Politics and shit. A and B have nothing to do with zhang the Inferior, he is Gao's and Shun's problem now whatever we choose. Nothing we say can change their plans for him because we have no idea what the fuck we're talking about when it comes to politics. That's their game.

Nevill

Arcane
Kashimir Slippers said:
I am trying to look at this situation with a "pros of A vs. pros of B" viewpoint. Unless I have missed something, I have yet to hear any reason why B is superior to A that didn't involve the harem, dislike of Shun/other pettiness, or how A would unequivocally lock us away from Yunzi. I feel that A has a lot more non-Shun vs Yunzi benefits.
It's another of those "do you go searching for Yao and Cao'er, or do you do the misShun in Yuhua Halls?".

There was nothing pointing out that Yao and Cao'er were in trouble until we actively searched for them and became aware of the fact. The arguments were exactly like what we are seeing now - oh, we have neglected the main plot for so long, we must absolutely not skip this chance, blah blah. And in the end, the mission could have waited while Yao could not - and no logical arguments could have been made for it. We just wanted to see our friends.

And here, when given the option between the plot and the love interest, I choose the latter. Because the plot will find us by itself.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
We have already brought up how A lets us learn a lot about what has happened over the past two years and does not necessarily bind us to fulfilling Shun's task amongst other things.

I don't recall anything like that for B.

While we are talking about our purpose for being here, I don't even remember officially voting on us going here, so us being here is a product of treave's designs.

Baltika9

Arcane
There was a pretty big uproar of "FFS, LET'S GO SEE YUNZI ALREADY!" turnout after the Maniac Training Part II was over. That's why we're here instead of somewhere else, but then we got sidetracked with the tournament. And here we are.
As for tangible benefits of B, Fangshi already brought this up:
Kipeci said:
How will you know what threat it is if you go straight to Yunzi? We know where Yunzi is and she doesn't seem likely to move, but we have no idea if Shun will be sticking around for a few days or not or even where he is now. If it's the sort of mission that would be best with two, it might be possible to suggest that as an option and go to the Fire Cult to pick up Yunzi, but you won't know if you don't even meet with the guy.

My arguement is that Yunzi and her "cockblocker bodyguard or the week" are simply all around useful assets to have. So it will be a worthwhile task to pursue regardless of what Shun wants us to do.

As for whether or not he will be around, well it works the other way too:

treave said:
The Fire Temple is three days away from here. Sure, you can tell Gao Ying to go tell Shun to wait wherever they are until you finish whatever you want to do at the Fire Temple.

We can ask Shun to wait. If he needs our help he will wait. If not he can handle it himself. The same way that we can deal with Yunzi "later" we can also deal with Shun "later". There is the possibility that things will happen either way but I vastly perfer to pursue Yunzi in this case.

Look the last time we had this choice we chose to help Shun. Now it was fun and all but we also missed out on the lead-up to the challenge and maybe even a chance to avert the tragedy that happened there. Just because Shun begs and Yunzi doesn't does not mean we are not missing important things by going with Shun as well. This is hardly the easy choice so people claim it is.
Yeah, building bonds with the Cult and studying Persian Martial Arts, chilling with Rob Halford and generally getting cozy (or at least working towards it) with Yunzi. Also, Qilin and Cao'er have weird (but totally hot) ladyboners for her, so there's that too.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
L Nothing we say can change their plans for him because we have no idea what the fuck we're talking about when it comes to politics. That's their game.

Well, compared to any of the Emperor's other agents at this moment, you could probably give him a better picture of the two factions in Tufan as well as suggest that he support Rinchen and Wuni if that's what you want to do, given that you were in there influencing the event right up until the last minute. You were Rinchen's preferred choice for Princess Jinpa (hence them sounding you out first) and possibly the first person outside of the Tufan leaders to know of their plans, since if Zhang knew he would have been sitting tight inside the city lobbying to be picked.

Of course, Shun's a smart guy, he should be able to figure this out on his own if he wants to.

Nevill

Arcane
We have already brought up how A lets us learn a lot about what has happened over the past two years and does not necessarily bind us to fulfilling Shun's task amongst other things.
And I have explained why it does bind us.

B has us finding what happened at our own pace. It's not like we'll be shutting our eyes and closing our ears.

Baltika9

Arcane
L Nothing we say can change their plans for him because we have no idea what the fuck we're talking about when it comes to politics. That's their game.

Well, compared to any of the Emperor's other agents at this moment, you could probably give him a better picture of the two factions in Tufan as well as suggest that he support Rinchen and Wuni if that's what you want to do, given that you were in there influencing the event right up until the last minute. You were Rinchen's preferred choice for Princess Rinpa (hence them sounding you out first) and possibly the first person outside of the Tufan leaders to know of their plans, since if Zhang knew he would have been sitting tight inside the city lobbying to be picked.

Of course, Shun's a smart guy, he should be able to figure this out on his own if he wants to.
Or we can tell Gao a quick "see me at Fire Cult temple when you can. Also, Wuni and Rinchen are totes cool. zhang the Inferior is a doucher. K see you later."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, you want to expose the Fire Temple location to Gao Ying, huh.

'k.

Also, any short-term political changes taking place in Tufan are going to happen rather quickly, and what you said is really rather useless in terms of influencing Tufan because if the Emperor actually goes to see you, it'll be after everything is settled.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's what you implied when you said "you can have Shun meet you there later." I mean, who else is here?
Not like Gao magically grew a dick and is looking to steal our girl. Or is he....

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
You know what? Fuck it. No one has given me anything convincing as to why B is worth a damn. All I see are people trying to pick apart what I and others are putting forward as to why A is the best choice and acting like that somehow makes B better. I am not going to argue with people who are completely unwilling to budge and act like their option is just naturally superior without having to put forth new ideas of their own. Refutations don't count.

If you are hungry and a close friend offers you a sandwich, it is stupid to not take it and then try to find one yourself.

Good night.

in b4 :butthurt:

Baltika9

Arcane
Besides, with them providing public services and being somewhat known in Turfan, I'm pretty damn sure Gao and Shun can track them down by themselves whenever they want to. If they haven't already.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I said you can tell Gao Ying to tell Shun to meet you there later.

Just it has nothing to do with what I just said about making your report on the Tufan scene. Totally irrelevant. Whatever information you can give him will be outdated by then.

Baltika9

Arcane
Uh, obviously not. I just don't see why we can't say these two things in less than thirty seconds before running off.
You know what? Fuck it. No one has given me anything convincing as to why B is worth a damn. All I see are people trying to pick apart what I and others are putting forward as to why A is the best choice and acting like that somehow makes B better. I am not going to argue with people who are completely unwilling to budge and act like their option is just naturally superior without having to put forth new ideas of their own. Refutations don't count.
Refutations and countering is 80% of this DISCUSS! No one ever said that B is superior, I am very well aware that this is a divisive "LOYALTY VS LOVE!" topic for us that will cause tons of butthurt, with no clearly superior answer.
It's just that I've picked my option and stance and am sticking to it, just like you are with yours. If you haven't noticed, most of my "convincing" is of the "Bro. Bro please, vote B. Bro. Please." variety. :lol:
Aren't we all?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nevill - B
XenomorphII - A
Fangshi - B
skaraher - A
Zero Credibility - A
Baltika9 - B
Azira - A
Kipeci - A
Esquilax - B
Elfberserker - B
Kashmir Slippers - A
asxetos - B
The Brazilian Slaughter - A
Tribute - B
Lambchop19 - B
Rex Feral - B
Anabanana - A
Grimgravy - B
Akkudakku - B
archaen - A
kazgar - A
Bloodshifter - B
ScubaV - B
Jester - A
profreshinal - A
Tigranes - B
Smashing Axe - A
ERYFKRAD - A
GreyViper - B

Final tally:

A - 14

B - 15

That should be enough votes.

...:lol:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Let the butthurt commence.

Now without our report Gao Ying will poison Rinchen and Wuni to install zhang the Inferior as a sole ruler of Tufan. Everything is alright with the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom