Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, we probably don't want to make any of this personal. Anyway, I figure you guys should get a bit more details on the places you could visit where possible, so hold on a bit.

asxetos

Augur
Seeking further training at this point is stupid IMO, since i think that the sect summit is in less than a year (?) and i think we all agree that we should be there, in witch case it would be prudent to visit with a few sects beforehand and see whats going on.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nevill - A > B1 > B3
ERYFKRAD - A > B1 > B3
Baltika9 - B1
The Brazilian Slaughter - B2
Zero Credibility - B2
Rex Feral - A > B3 > B2 > B1
Akkudakku - B5 > B1 > B2
profreshinal - B2
asxetos - A
Elfberserker - B3 > B1 > B5
Anabanana - B2
Tribute - B2 > B1
profreshinal - B4 > B2
Smashing Axe - B2 > A > B5
Kipeci - B4 > A
TOME - B5
Kashmir Slippers - B3
RealDDc - B4

Current tally:

A - 4
B1 - 1
B2 - 6
B3 - 2
B4 - 3
B5 - 2

I'll deal with the flops later.

Now, let's look at the places.

B1. Tianshan Range, near Tujue territory. The place where golden fox leaves are harvested by the masked Xueguizi. Their leader is called the Tianshan Child Elder, a secretive and mysterious little girl that is said to have lived for more than a hundred years, eternally unaging. The Xueguizi are also a sect that is said to focus strongly on yin-based inner strength techniques, and have great knowledge of neigong.

B2. Chang'an, Huashan, pretty much known already. The HQ of the Beggars changes from time to time, and apparently has moved to Chang'an recently.

B3. Emei and Qingcheng should be familiar places by now. Not much to add here.

B4. The Duan clan is famed for three techniques in particular: The Yiyang Finger which was later taught to Shaolin when one of their kings became a monk there, the Duan Family Swordplay, and the Six Meridian Divine Swords, a finger technique utilizing different fingers to project cutting and piercing qi at the opponent after the form of the Duan Family Swordplay.

B5. You don't have any info on anything west of here, just that they have lamas.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
and the Six Meridian Divine Swords, a finger technique utilizing different fingers to project cutting and piercing qi at the opponent after the form of the Duan Family Swordplay.
So they're Rei from Fist of the North Star?

Cool, but I don't know if we'll have any need for this technique.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yiyang Finger is what Xuxian used at the tournament (he did train at Shaolin after all), and the Meridian Swords are the more advanced, powerful version of that finger art. If you have no desire for finger techniques, then yeah, B4 is probably not where you want to go.

Tribute

Arbiter
Is there any way we can apply that to our actual sword use? Have like eight additional swords made of chi or something insane like that?

Or shoot sword-beams out of our shouwang claws?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Finger techniques require intense mastery of qi projection to use, so it'll naturally transfer over to other applications.

Well, whether you get taught the techniques or not is another matter.

Tribute

Arbiter
I just wanted to surprise Master Zhang at the summit with our having figured out how to shoot sword-beams using his signature technique.

I think he'd be proud of us. Or at least amused by it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Eh, Raging Claws of the Mad Lion already does that. You just lack the qi projection mastery, but he can already use it to rend people apart from a distance if he wants to.

Tribute

Arbiter
Oh. Well now I just feel unaccomplished as his student.

Question: should we expect that shooting PRIMORDIAL CHAOS at people will have different effects from shooting normal qi at people?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Depends on whether it is a direct infusion, or if you are projecting the qi to bash, pierce or cut. In the latter it acts more like a weapon, doing external damage, in the former the nature of your qi will harm your opponent internally.

Tribute

Arbiter
So our qi doesn't act like freaky chaos bullshit unless it's in someone's body? That's good to know, actually.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
So our qi doesn't act like freaky chaos bullshit unless it's in someone's body? That's good to know, actually.
Most of the times its in our body. It is chaotic remember that Jing has problems with controling it. But I believe that with some training with Duan clan we can weaponize it even further.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I remember when treave said that no irreversible changes are going to happen for about 3 years since we started our training. That means one year to go so I guess nobody important or who we care about is going to die anytime soon, if we're not implicated.

Esquilax

Arcane
Chance for beggar network, man.

Hmm, the promise of a beggar network isn't nearly as enticing now as it was several years ago when we were with Yao. Back then, we were searching for the Woman-in-Black and we were just some kid with no name and no rep. Nowadays, Xu Jing is a pretty well-known and respected martial artist (even if we aren't exactly loved, people acknowledge our skills) and we've resolved that Chanfeng situation. I suppose we might be able to find out what sort of corruption has been going on from within the orthodox sects should we be successful in improving relations with them, but without Qi Liuwu in charge any longer, this particular reason doesn't seem as great as it was a couple of years ago.

As for powerful martial arts, we might get closer to learning the rest of the 18 Dragon Palms if we become friendlier with the beggars.

That's a good point. Our general approach in recent times has been more along the lines of perfecting already existing techniques rather than seeking out completely new ones (i.e. mastering the Wuying Leipo Kick and Shouwang Claws, investing in +1 Sabers so that we could perfect the Minamoto-ryuu Sword Style), so improving on an existing technique that is very powerful seems a bit more efficient than seeking out entirely new ones.

However, Qi isn't really in a position to teach us anymore, first because I am fairly sure that he is no longer sect head, and second, it's hard to teach the Dragon Palm technique if you have no palms to begin with. We'd either have to find some sort of art manual containing the technique - good luck understanding it with our crappy skills there - or you'd have to develop closer ties to another Beggar who would be willing to teach the Southern Maniac's apprentice such a powerful technique, which is also a tough sell.

B1. Tianshan Range, near Tujue territory. The place where golden fox leaves are harvested by the masked Xueguizi. Their leader is called the Tianshan Child Elder, a secretive and mysterious little girl that is said to have lived for more than a hundred years, eternally unaging. The Xueguizi are also a sect that is said to focus strongly on yin-based inner strength techniques, and have great knowledge of neigong.
B4. The Duan clan is famed for three techniques in particular: The Yiyang Finger which was later taught to Shaolin when one of their kings became a monk there, the Duan Family Swordplay, and the Six Meridian Divine Swords, a finger technique utilizing different fingers to project cutting and piercing qi at the opponent after the form of the Duan Family Swordplay.

treave, Jing's qi is equally yin and yang, correct? It seems to me that it would be impossible for Jing to use these sort of techniques with his particular condition. Then again, if the Xueguizi have that much knowledge of neigong, they also probably know how to make certain types of inner strength work with our unique qi. Is that the case?

The finger techniques seem pretty cool. But I'm also drawn to the mysterious west, where Xuxian's master resides.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Flopping to B3>B1>B5.

I am not so excited about finger techniques. I understand their usefulness and I don't mind at all if you bros wants to go there, but personally I am more of punching and sword guy.

Good points going to Emei:
- Catch up Yao and Mieco. Most likely updated news about current orthodox world and educated guesses.
- Catch up with Miss Song and maybe meet that Mao.
- Add Yifang to our harem.
- Possible Qinqqong upgrade. I know that you guys don't care about orthodox techniques, but our qinqqong skill level is rather low and Cao'er seem to have learned good qinqqong there.
- Yuchang sword tech?
- Possible to perhaps learn emei sword play. Yes,yes Orthodox techniques that people know about blah, blah, blah.

Pro Tiashan:
- Good place to upgrade our neigon I guess.
- exotic Tujue unarmed styles.
- Yunzi? Just my educated guess.
- HOOOOOOOOOOOOORDE

Pro Lama:
- The monk went there.
- Boldy toward Unknown.
- LAMAAAS
- Powerful finger tech?
- Other hard hitting shaoling esques techniques.
- Unknown harem options??????????

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
At this point, his qi is a convoluted, chaotic mixture that cannot be really called yin or yang. He would have to separate them to use those techniques properly, but nothing is stopping him from learning the form and then putting his own spin on the essence, depending on the technique. But it is said that the Tianshan Child Elder is the master of internal energy research, even more so than Wang was, though most are not sure if she really exists. The trip is rather far, though.

Also, you're not sure if Xuxian's master is in the west. Just that you think most of the lamas are there, and if you're looking for one, that's probably where you should start.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, this was a pretty big fuck-up: we basically got a 'kthxbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out. See ya." Definitely not what I was expecting and/or desiring, but just gotta live with it. And for what it's worth, I'm sorry bros.

I really am.
:negative:
At this point, his qi is a convoluted, chaotic mixture that cannot be really called yin or yang. He would have to separate them to use those techniques properly, but nothing is stopping him from learning the form and then putting his own spin on the essence, depending on the technique. But it is said that the Tianshan Child Elder is the master of internal energy research, even more so than Wang was, though most are not sure if she really exists. The trip is rather far, though.
Haha, this is even better than the original sales pitch for it. WIth a neiggong potential of 15, these guys are an absolute must for us to visit.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Yeah, this was a pretty big fuck-up: we basically got a 'kthxbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out. See ya." Definitely not what I was expecting and/or desiring, but just gotta live with it. And for what it's worth, I'm sorry bros.

I really am.
:negative:
Haha, this is even better than the original sales pitch for it. WIth a neiggong potential of 15, these guys are an absolute must for us to visit.

It's a shame, but I think either choice would have generated butthurt either way.

That being said in hindsigh Turfan is the place where I regret the most the choices I voted for. First missing A-team and now saying fuck you to Shu :negative:

Rex Feral

Prophet
In case anyone is wandering what we can learn in each location :

Southern Maniac's secret techniques

36. Conquering Spear of the Broken Emperor (+4 spears, 12 months)

37. Fiery Eye of the Serpent Tyrant (8 months)

38. Manly Lion's All-Conquering Roar (3 months)

Beggars' Sect (4 months round-trip)

39. Dog-beating stick (+4 staff, 9 months)

40. Dragon Palms (16 months)

41. Drunken Fist (+2 Drinking, 6 months)

42. Practice begging and slumming (Speech +1, 3 months)

Emei Sect (2 months round-trip)

43. Yuchang Sword technique. (+1 Sword, 3 months)

44. Study formation basics (Scholarly Knowledge +1, Guihe Formation unlocked, 4 months)

45. Yuhe Finger from Yao (3 months)

Wudu Cult (1 month round-trip)

46. Intensive Animal Training (4 months)

47. Crimson Silk Mastery (6 months)

48. Five Poisons Palm of Death (10 months)

Palace (4 months round-trip)

49. Train with Shun (+2 Swords, +2 Spear, +2 Saber, +2 Bow, 2 months)

50. Practice with detectives (Scholarly Knowledge +2, Detective Technique, 6 months)

Tianshan Range (6 months round-trip)

51. Steal golden fox leaves. (Golden fox leaves, 12 months)

52. Saber of the Flying Snow Fox (+2 saber, 12 months)

Tujue Steppes (7 months round-trip)

52. SUMMON THE HORDE (240 months)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom