Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Hey, if you want to get blamed for A going to shit and take Lambchop's blame, be my guest.

BROS, A IS ALL ABSINTHE'S FAULT.
    Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    But Ean for the most part couldnt really die.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    As his heir, Jing must surpass him without immortality. Anything less is unacceptable.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The scene from Snatch comes to mind.

- Anything to declare?
    - Yeah, don't go to Tufan.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    fixed

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Divine Flame Apotheosis

“Are you going to be okay, going in alone?”

You chuckle lightly, adjusting the length of the sash around your waist so that the wodao does not hang too loosely. “Since when have you been a worrier, Qilin? Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.” She bites her lower lip, frowning at you. “I still think we should just leave. It’s too risky.” Cao’er nods, handing you a roll of spider silk that you wrap around your wrists. “…Don’t have a good feeling about this.”

“It needs to be done,” you say, giving the both of them a quick peck on the forehead. “I felt something wrong in the Temple, and I’m afraid if I leave it be it’ll mean trouble later down the line.”

“Well, you better come back soon,” pouts Qilin. She places her hands on her belly. “After all, I’m…”

“What? I thought- How did- Cao’er, is it true?” you ask in a panic. Of all the times to drop this piece of information on you…

Cao’er shakes her head slowly. “She’s lying.” Qilin laughs out loud, giving you a mischievious grin. “Oh, I just thought I’d give you a bit more incentive not to act so rashly,” she says, winking. You let out a great sigh – your heart almost stopped there for a moment – and rub at your eye-patch. “I swear, you are more dangerous than the Amesha Spenta.”

“Oh, you know you like it.”

You gently rap the top of her head with your knuckles. “I need to go now.” Giving you a wistful smile, she nods. It looks like you have not allayed their fears over this reckless incursion of yours, but you don’t plan on giving up now. There is a full moon tonight – though it will not help your visibility in the open, the deeper shadows of the moonlight will afford you cover. It is almost midnight; this time you will manage to penetrate the Fire Temple and uncover its secrets.

You scale the high walls of the temple. There are a few guards patrolling the perimeter, but they do not spot you as you gain entry to the interior through an open window. It is the Amesha Spenta you need to watch out for, but you do not see any of them. The moment you set foot inside the temple proper, however, you feel a sudden chill run down your spine. There is a great disturbance of qi somewhere within the building, swirling. Raging. Scorching. It is oppressive and overbearing, and the deeper you make your way into the temple’s innermost chambers, the more adherents and worshippers you see laying splayed out on the floor, rendered unconscious by the overwhelming power burning at the temple’s heart. You doubt that you could have made it this far unchallenged in normal circumstances, but tonight…

You are unsure whether you have chosen the right time or the wrong time to visit.

As you near your destination, you begin to hear some faint shouts. You quicken your footsteps, breaking into a run after a short while. You have a feeling that stealth is no longer a concern. You run through the strange architecture of the temple, going down countless flights of stairs, until you arrive in a large, square chamber that could rival some of the halls in Daming Palace. You duck close to a wall, not wanting to reveal yourself too soon.

At the center of it all is a pillar of flame, pure white in colour, stretching from the ground to the ceiling. It is the cause of the sweltering heat in the chamber, yet you sense that it is not the source of power that you felt. Around the flame stand the five Amesha Spenta, their arms outstretched, desperately pouring their qi into the fire in an attempt to control it. A strong wind swirls around the room, whipping up long scrolls on the wall that are filled with – strangely – Han writing.

“It’s no use!” Haurvatat shouts. “We cannot subdue him! He will awaken!”

“It’s too soon! This is all wrong!” cries out Manah.

“Just shut up and keep working! We cannot let our Lord emerge as a corrupted god!” Vairya this time, the tendons on his limbs bulging as he strains to contain whatever it is within the fire. They do not seem to notice your presence just yet – all of them are too preoccupied with the task at hand. You see a faint darkness at the center of the white flame; gradually, it reveals the naked shape of a man.

Ahura.

His eyes are yet closed, but as his shape grows more and more distinct, a twisted smile spreads very slowly across his lips. Although he stands in the center of the conflagration, he remains unburned, his skin unblemished and unmarked.

Vahista lets out a foreign curse as he redoubles his efforts, stepping closer to the fire. “We must strengthen the Eternal Flame! It will purify our Lord! Tonight is the crucial period... once we pass this stage, his recovery is assured!” The white flame burns more brightly and strongly than before as it flares up in response to Vahista’s qi. The overwhelming power that you have felt begins subsiding slowly; what the Amesha Spenta are doing is beginning to take effect. Then, Ahura’s eyes open: they, too, are pure white, as if the Eternal Flame itself burns within his body. Though you can see no pupils, you get the dreadful feeling that he is looking around the room.

And for just a single moment, your gaze meets his.

The Eternal Flame explodes.

The chamber is flooded with blinding light, the Amesha Spenta crying out as they are hurled away. You raise your hand to shield your one good eye, but to no avail. When you lower your hand, your vision slowly returning, Ahura is standing in front of you in all his naked glory. The aura that he emits is that of divinity – a god... but one consumed with madness. He is glowing with power, yet a darkness ripples within him. You realize that there will be no escape.

Not from him.

You mutter a quiet apology to Qilin and Cao’er.

Ahura stretches a hand towards you, filled with hostile intent.

With a shout of defiance, you leap at him; if you are going to go out, you might as well go out fighting. You unleash everything you know against him, kicking and clawing with all your might, sending him stumbling back.

The living god is surprised for just a brief moment before bursting into a creature of flame and shadow, roaring as his hands blur in a movement that knocks aside all of your attacks with ease and ends up closing around your throat. A scorching pain radiates throughout your neck. You retaliate by grabbing his throat with both of your hands, though it burns your fingers to do so, and shove him hard. It looks like he has no presence of mind – Ahura only snarls like a mindless beast as your surprise attack pushes him backwards further, just enough to step into the center of the chamber.

As if on cue, the Eternal Flame erupts around you, roaring back to life and blinding your vision again. For some reason, the white fire does not harm you; instead, its essence seeps into your body. You feel the impurities in your inner strength being burnt away as it reacts with your qi. You grow gradually weaker, and the fire grows steadily hotter, as if feeding off your life force. The heat is starting to become unbearable. Your qi begins to go out of control as it attempts to fight off the Eternal Flame, with your body as the battlefield. A terrible pain shoots throughout your entire body, almost knocking you out: it is a familiar one, one that you felt once before when Master Zhang destroyed your meridians.

You grit your teeth, but Ahura screams, and his fingers crush your throat. You choke, gasping for breath as blood begins bubbling out of your mouth, but still you keep your grip on him. In the mad god’s desperation you feel his qi pouring into you, attempting to destroy you from inside out. You try to absorb it, to mitigate the damage that he is doing, but the sheer torrent of qi is almost too much for your body to handle. It is half light and half dark, orderly and chaotic, and suddenly you realize what the Grand Taoist had done.

He had transformed Ahura’s qi from order into chaos, turning light into darkness. The result had wreaked havoc and destruction on a body unprepared, unadapted to handle such a change. Perhaps the Eternal Flame was meant to purify and to regenerate Ahura, but the Amesha Spenta may have known nothing about the qi that he now lived with, and its side-effects. The Flame seems to have succeeded in restoring his internal energy to a certain extent, but the process is yet incomplete, and you appear to have interrupted it at the worst possible moment.

Your sight wavers. This is a fight you cannot win, your strength waning with every second. Ahura has even taken control over the Eternal Flame, as he directs it to destroy you in his pain and anger: your chaos appears to be anathema to the light of the fire, as it seems driven to destroy you at all costs.

Through the flames you see the Amesha Spenta, shouting in desperation and anger, though you cannot hear their words.

The scrolls hanging on the walls flutter, strangely unburned. On the border between life and death, everything seems still and cold, despite the flames raging about you.

From what little you can make out as your mind begins to wander, they are scriptures written to teach a martial arts technique.

A few words from the scrolls stay in your thoughts even as all others melt away.

All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin.

A. All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin. Chaos is the source of both yin and yang, and the two combined can dissolve back into chaos. If the Grand Taoist could turn Ahura’s qi into that similar to your own, it might be possible, even with your limited understanding, to transform your own qi, drawing out yin and yang from the primordial chaos. Where Ahura was unable to change the nature of his own qi and was burnt by his own flames, you must succeed. You will attempt, against all odds, to derive order from chaos, wresting control of the Eternal Flame to turn it against the man that once embodied it.

B. All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin. The chaos is infinite in its depth, and boundless in its hunger – in the end, all returns to it, no matter yin or yang. You will not let pain nor a crushed throat stop you; Ahura’s amateur use of his chaotic qi will not match yours. You draw in and absorb everything you can: you will take in the Eternal Flame and Ahura’s qi – all of it – no matter how much it hurts you. You are not sure whether your body will be able to handle the strain of channeling such power, but your willpower will not be shaken by such petty concerns. After all, you are the disciple of Zhang Jue.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So that is how we can become the Fire God and lead the crusade against the orthodox sects.

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh, yeah, you're not out of the fire yet. One of these two choices will lead to failure.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So... are there enough hints to guess which one?

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You should come to your own conclusions. :troll:

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, I am leaning to the conclusion that trying to absorb everything when Ahura's reserves are overwhelming and the Eternal Flame is of unknown origins is beyond reckless. There is nowhere in our body to store that much power.

I can see us changing ourselves so that the Flame would not hurt us anymore.

But damn, this is going to be tough.

^ Top  
  12. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    So basicaly A is the 'we defeat the guy and try to stay alive' and maybe upgrade our understanding of the force... I mean qi.
    B is the maximum fuck option.
    Cant say which will succed :( its 50/50 gamble without hints

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    A is 'we change the nature of our qi'. Essentially becoming the new Ahura Mazda - if we survive.

But then again, our qi is unique, and most importantly, it is a plot point. Can it be changed at all?

^ Top  
  14. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    I dont think so. More likely we would just learn to control our ki... no idea what is the right thing to do...

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    There is something that strikes me as true in the description of B, as crazy as it sounds. Chaos is uncontrollable by its nature.

Damn.

^ Top  
  16. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    True that. Still we have no idea how treave wants to play out the options.

^ Top  
  17. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Im going with B thats what master Zhang would do. We dont have the skill to control the chaotic ki, do we?

And if it fails at least everyone else dies with us in a gigantic exlposion :D

^ Top  
  18. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Voting A.

Something bugs me a lot about "You draw in and absorb everything you can: you will take in the Eternal Flame..." in B option.
    I dont think anyone could handle that.

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, yeah.

But controlling ang transforming your own qi to become the very opposite of it (and yes, the Eternal Flame is the opposite of chaos) is going against its nature. We have never cultivated the understanding of our qi.

Absorbing everything is what chaos does. All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin. There is something right about that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Great, just great. Ok, looking at the wording of the choices:

A - "it might be possible", "against all odds"
    B - "You are not sure"

it looks to me like B might be the safer option of these two. Or at least Jing thinks that. Of course, even if that works we would be in no condition to defend against the probably pissed off cultists around us. Nice work getting us in this position people.

^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Gut feeling vote here: A

^ Top  
  22. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    But our qi, although chaotic, is not the origin of chaos.
    The Eternal Flame is the origin of Order.
    If something must change then it must be our qi, else you are trying to wrestle down a fundamental force of nature, no?

^ Top  
  23. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Exactly. So if there is no bs logic behind this then B is the option that we have to take.

^ Top  
  24. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I'd also assume, by earlier treave's quote, that the consequences here are either "you lose bodily hair", and "you die".

And seeing as how the flame would have no reason to burn us if A works... yeah. :|

Chaos and order are both concepts, though.
    I have no idea what our qi is, to be honest, but it is a manifestation of chaos inasmuch as the Flame is a manifestation of the order.

I guess I'll put my vote as B.

My kneejerk reaction was to go A, though, just because of how mad B sounds when you hear it first.

...We'll end up a flower, won't we?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.