Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Quick question: after our transformation, what the hell is up with our meridians? Do we still have none? Did the fire burn meridians into us along the same paths as our old ones? Do we grow meridians as we switch into Order mode and then shed them when we switch into Chaos mode?

Also with regard to the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill: the most obvious way of overcoming this that I can think of is for our opponent to do a technique we can read and copy as far as internal energy goes, but that our physical body is not up to pulling off. Is this a viable strategy? Are we going to need to maximize Str/Agi/End as much as possible to make sure that our body can keep up with what we want it to do?

You still have none, even in Order mode. All that changes is that the stream of your life force is divided cleanly, and you can manipulate each stream for a certain period of time before it snaps back into Chaos mode.

That is a viable strategy, though it depends on whether their neigong is what drives their higher physical stats. If it is, it usually means their internal energy level is already higher than yours anyway, and you can't copy it. If it isn't, well, it is rare to find a fighter that has base physical stats higher than yours, but it would work.

]Will having a high skill make corresponding techniques easier to imitate? For instance, can we bullshit-copy our opponents' unarmed techniques with a level of 8?

This also makes techniques easier to learn from direct instruction, right?

It won't make it easier to imitate because as long as the opponent's internal energy is lesser than yours, it's a guaranteed success. Say you don't have any axe skills, and you fight Pang Xiaohu again. If you have a higher internal energy, and battle him, and have an axe in hand, you can match his axe skills just through Wuxiang Qiankun.

And yes, you'll pick up techniques more quickly from direct demonstration. Cuts the time by quite a lot.

Tribute

Arbiter
So if Qi Liuwu still had arms and he demonstrated the Eighteen Palms again we'd actually pick it up immediately this time?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So this what a 'broken' technique is like, eh?

If it was merely above average the pugilistic world wouldn't be in a turmoil over the mere rumours of its reappearance.

So if Qi Liuwu still had arms and he demonstrated the Eighteen Palms again we'd actually pick it up immediately this time?

If your internal energy was greater than his, you'd be able to mimic the whole set of movements after he showed it, using his style of neigong, and the ability to do so would fade after a while. If he kept repeating it over a week or so, though, you'd likely pick up the full set and then become able to use your own neigong with the technique.

Tribute

Arbiter
Huh. I'm wondering why he expected us to pick it up immediately after one demonstration the first time, if we still can't do it even with this incredible legendary neigong.

Was it just because he was really drunk at the time?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Huh. I'm wondering why he expected us to pick it up immediately after one demonstration the first time, if we still can't do it even with this incredible legendary neigong.

Yeah. He wasn't even supposed to show it in the first place anyway.

Also, your skill with Wuxiang Qiankun is only at level 1, which is where I'm basing the explanation from. It gets... better.

If a wuxia main plot is revolving around a super technique or three, you can be pretty sure they're broken.

Oh fuck I forgot to leave room for the one where you self-castrate to get godlike power. brb retconning.

Elfberserker

Liturgist

Yeah. He wasn't even supposed to show it in the first place anyway.

Also, your skill with Wuxiang Qiankun is only at level 1, which is where I'm basing the explanation from. It gets... better.

Holy fuck that skill is broken.

At this rate the only orthodox sects senior or master techniques we can't use that technique seems to be wudang or maybe shaolin. At least with our current lvl 1 technique, I feel my powergaming side getting excited when we level up that neigong technique:bounce:

Tribute

Arbiter
Oh fuck I forgot to leave room for the one where you self-castrate to get godlike power. brb retconning.
Nah, we'll leave that one for Gao Ying. Then we can be tag team legendary neigong Shunbros (who barely tolerate each other).

Baltika9

Arcane
Which only means I will only let you guys level it up very, very slowly.

So getting level up is like getting Christmas present?
I think we got enough presents for the moment.
Leaving this here to persuade some more 1A votes and flops:
We're their new figurehead, their world just got destroyed and they need something new to believe in. Being meek, irreverent or treating them as peers isn't going to cut it. They are accustomed to servitude and dogma. They want us to be their god. We need to be it.
They'll be uber-respectful in public. This is more about our private relationship and how we present ourself to them.
They expect you to be at least that, if you can be more then they'll be pleasantly surprised. They're not really too enthused or hoping for too much here.
It sounds like they want us to act the role as well as fulfill the duties of the role, if that makes sense. Going "Yo bros, call me whatever, it's cool. I'm just a bro like you yo" sounds weak and is a bad starting point. We're at a point where we can define the beginnings of our new relationship, peerhood is not going to serve us well. This is not the modern day where we live by a mantra of equality. People here, especially amongst the Fire Cult of all places, would expect a hierarchical system.
It sounds like they want us to act the role as well as fulfill the duties of the role, if that makes sense. Going "Yo bros, call me whatever, it's cool. I'm just a bro like you yo" sounds weak and is a bad starting point. We're at a point where we can define the beginnings of our new relationship, peerhood is not going to serve us well.

So we probably should vote B call us by our name for now? The role will probably grow on Jing anyway
That's pretty much peerhood as well. It puts us down to their level.
Fair enough. A is my second preference and I don't really expect External Flame to have a chance at winning. I just really think being buddy buddy with these guys is not the answer. Achieving a position beyond reproach is.
Sets much higher expectations too, though. We'd better live up to them in full and then some. But if we do, we'll get that much more respect.

As a hot chick in red once said:
Melisandre said:
It was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.
You're right, their previous leader was the pinnacle of humility. They would expect their new god to be equally humble.

He might have been an arrogant dick, but he took care of his own and commanded respect. His Amesha Spenta didn't just obey him out of duty, like they do with us, they loved him. Now that Jing has been thrust into a position of responsibility, he actually has to be worthy of it. But I think that you're right and that these people, given their strict hierarchies, would appreciate it if we conducted ourselves as a strong leader at all times.
That sounds to me like the best of decisions. And I can't see Jing deifying himself.
I dunno, A makes him accepting of his new role (but not immediately vainglorious/I AM GOD!) so it is definitely an in-character option.

Also, I think A just puts us in a stronger position to assert our authority and get respect out of these guys, but at the same time places much higher expectations on us (i.e: you wanna be the Lord, you better earn the respect due to such a station through deeds and feats; for a well-connected and powerful guy like us, it won't be too problematic). D seems like the wishy-washy "eh, what's up with this joker?" approach.

And from a personal viewpoint: we have been the servant for too long. It's time we became a ruler.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can't tell. Doesn't look as Persian as some of the other members, though he doesn't look Han either, but there appears to have been a lot of mixing in the Fire Temple folk, both with Han and with the other ethnicities in the region.
So... how many children Yang Xue had? :D

Elfberserker

Liturgist
The way I see it that Yunzi is already their new unofficial leader with Ahura finally dying. Even if we start acting like Lord and they are dogmatic people, I still think that they rather see Yunzi taking charge, who actually cares about them and has worked her ass off as their leader. I am fine with Yunzi being firecult real leader while we are just figurehead.

If you really want to learn their respect then stay in their temple to learn their culture and rituals or at least become new scary badass to scare douchebag orthodox generation away.

Tribute

Arbiter
I wonder what Zhang Jue would think about or new imposed alleigance to this bunch of crazy foreigners?

Baltika9

Arcane
If you really want to learn their respect then stay in their temple to learn their culture and rituals or at least become new scary badass to scare douchebag orthodox generation away.
Nah, F is the 'spit in your face, I do what I want because FIRE GOD FUCK YEAH!' They have a plan to put in motion for us, so 2F is kinda dumb.

And while Yunzi did lead them, unofficially, for two years, we are the next chosen of the Flame, their new Ahura Mazda. Like it or not, we are THE big guy for them, Yunzi won't be taking charge openly at all and while they do expect us to be the figurehead, us actually stepping up to the plate will be a very welcome surprise for them:
So...they just want a figurehead/badass warrior as a front?
If our job just consists of literally "look tough, fuck bitches" then we're the bestest Ahura Mazda they'll ever find.

Until, of course, we begin our reforms.

They expect you to be at least that, if you can be more and help lead the temple successfully then they'll be pleasantly surprised. They're not really too enthused or hoping for too much here.
Now that we have been pretty much handed our own extremely powerful faction (in terms of individuals, not public image), I would rather we capitalize on that and make ourselves their leader. 1A is the best for that, I think. But I get your viewpoint.

Speaking of which, treave, can we get a run-down of our Amesha Spentas and their skillsets?

Baltika9

Arcane
I wonder what Zhang Jue would think about or new imposed alleigance to this bunch of crazy foreigners?
The only thing he would worry about is "is there anyone here worth fighting?" He sheltered Minamoto pirates, he really doesn't give two shits about your nationality.

Tribute

Arbiter
Nah, F is the 'spit in your face, I do what I want because FIRE GOD FUCK YEAH!' They have a plan to put in motion for us, so 2F is kinda dumb.
Yeah, no need to ruin their day any more than we already have.

The only thing he would worry about is "is there anyone here worth fighting?" He sheltered Minamoto pirates, he really doesn't give two shits about your nationality.
I just wondered if he would be amused.

"Oh, you're in charge of a cult now?"

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Speaking of which, treave, can we get a run-down of our Amesha Spentas and their skillsets?

Vahista - Fire guy, Righteousness
Vairya - Metal guy, Dominion
Manah - Animal guy, Purpose
Armaiti - Earth girl, Devotion
Haurvatat - Water girl, Wholeness
Ameretat - Plant girl, Immortality

Unless you pick F, you're not going to find out more for now.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
You can't tell. Doesn't look as Persian as some of the other members, though he doesn't look Han either, but there appears to have been a lot of mixing in the Fire Temple folk, both with Han and with the other ethnicities in the region.
So... how many children Yang Xue had? :D

I think the question is that can we surpass him in number of fathered children? Can we even perhaps surpass kenghis chan

And while Yunzi did lead them, unofficially, for two years, we are the next chosen of the Flame, their new Ahura Mazda. Like it or not, we are THE big guy for them, Yunzi won't be taking charge openly at all and while they do expect us to be the figurehead, us actually stepping up to the plate will be a very welcome surprise for them:
So...they just want a figurehead/badass warrior as a front?
If our job just consists of literally "look tough, fuck bitches" then we're the bestest Ahura Mazda they'll ever find.

Until, of course, we begin our reforms.

They expect you to be at least that, if you can be more and help lead the temple successfully then they'll be pleasantly surprised. They're not really too enthused or hoping for too much here.
Now that we have been pretty much handed our own extremely powerful faction (in terms of individuals, not public image), I would rather we capitalize on that and make ourselves their leader. 1A is the best for that, I think. But I get your viewpoint.

Good point.

I guess it boils down do we want to lead and take responsibility or do we want to continue our current way as much as we can with our new Firelord title

Tribute

Arbiter
Armaiti - Earth girl, Devotion
This is the one who was chaperoning Yunzi, yes?

Which one did we sleep with? Plant girl? That seems pretty normal for cultivating plant/wood themed chi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom