Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well, I only got this to say-

Show Spoiler
    I ATEN'T DEAD

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't know about you guys, but if we are still able to walk, I am going to Emei. I certainly would prefer being in a familiar element for a while.

Damn, that was nerve-wrecking.

^ Top  
  3. Major Spoilers:
    Show Spoiler
    Well, I think that there is still going to be some pretty heavy fallout from not choosing to go with Shun or Yunzi AND for leaving ZM alive. Also, it doesn't seem like we'll be leading the fire cult any time soon. :(

Fire Cult: 0 (Neutral)
    Neigong (Inner Strength) - 8/10
    Neigong
    Luanshi Wuchangdao (亂世無常道, Impermanent Way of the Chaotic World)
    Level 8: All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin. Increases the power and speed of your attacks when activated, as well as heightening your durability and perception. You can birth order from chaos and form chaos from collapsing order, switching between the two states when necessary. The chaotic state is the default state of being, and easier to maintain. You are able to absorb the internal energy of others at a moderate rate when in physical contact when in a chaotic state. (+2 Strength, +2 Agility, +2 Endurance (Chaos), +2 Perception (Order))
    Wuxiang Qiankun Skill (無相乾坤功, Formless Universe Skill)
    Level 1: A legendary neigong technique that births form from formlessness, allowing the user to imitate both the form and essence of another’s techniques even if it would normally require years of practice or decades of inner strength cultivation. You are able to mimic the techniques of practitioners with a lower level of internal energy when in an orderly state.

edit: srsly, just wait until the update comes out before reading the rest of the thread, if you don't want it spoiled...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Show Spoiler
    Oh my GOD! Don't tell me... We did it, didn't we? And what an awesome boost! Jing = Zen :yeah: Or in words of treave we are a little lying slut, whatever works for keeping Jing alive :smug:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    We did however take down the equivalent of Diogenes Canma before he attained supreme power. I'd call that a win.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    I hope Wang will feature in the update. Or at least a flashback of him.

It would be...fitting.

^ Top  
  7. Spoilers are totally pointless with you guys. :/

And we don't know just how successful we were or weren't. Let's wait for the update before we breakout the confetti, eh?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I'm rather disappointed that the Codex thinks our failure will result in Jing's death. REally Codex, just because Jing fails it doesn't mean he will die.
    Show Spoiler
    It might also mean Jing becomes the dark god and goes on a epic rampage of killing, trolling, raping and looting (in all orders possible), kills a lot of people he once liked until brought down by his enemies. Xu Jing is remembered as a monster.

So Jing becomes Amazo/Mimic?
    Excellent...
    ... or we become dead and Treave is just trolling us

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    I want that flashback of Wang whatever the outcome. :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Like Obi Wan(g) Kenobi :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  11. Well, in this case, treave did say failure meant death and the wrap up of this lp...

:rage:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Well, I think they would eventually kill Chaos God Jing.
    Unless Jing is so strong he becomes a daemon of Chaos Undivided (probably Slaneesh/Tzeentch, Jing is not a Khorne/Nurgle guy) and ascends to the warp after taking the world for the dark gods.

"Hi Lady Nuwa, do you miss me yet?"
    :mhd:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    "Is that a tentacle in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

^ Top  
  14. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Show Spoiler
    :yeah: we superman now

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Impermanent Way of the Chaotic World

You stir the chaotic mixture that is your qi, willing it to move. It circulates throughout your body turbulently, a darkness that is assailed from all sides by the light of the Eternal Flame. The heat is excruciating, burning you up from both without and within. You close your eye, seeing nothing but the light through your eyelid, hearing nothing but the roar of the flames. Your skin begins to redden, peel and char, but you shut out all thoughts from your mind but one: You will not see them again if you fail here. That thought, somehow, calms you down, and you begin to understand what you have to do. All flows from the Origin, and all return to it. The primordial chaos is not an existence separate from yin and yang, but their combined, original aspect. The Grand Taoist has shown you a possibility, a piece of hope that you can cling to.

To derive order from chaos.

To do that, you must find a beginning, a place to start.

It is akin to finding and grasping a splinter afloat on a raging ocean.

Once you do, however, you grasp the streams of yin and yang, and the threads of qi unravel naturally, as if it were meant to be. The chaotic qi inside you gradually stills, its violent turbulence subsiding into a gentle flow. Yin and yang are separated from each other, each aspect of qi forming a clean stream within you. They begin to flow in sync with the pure yang energy of the Eternal Flame, pulsing through your body while the heat transforms from a scorching blaze into a soothing warmth. You act not by will but by instinct, as your consciousness melds with it. Your perception expands, widening as it encompasses the room even while you keep your eye shut. Ahura is in front of you, frozen in mindless pain, hands clutching at his head as the Eternal Flame blackens his body, bits and pieces of ash breaking off and floating away. The Amesha Spenta too are frozen, but in shock, horror, and fear.

Before you know it, your consciousness is carried away by the Flame, soaring up past the stone ceiling and into the vast sky. You vaguely perceive myriad worlds and existences, boundless heavens and endless hells, that your mind can barely begin to comprehend. It would take forever to know it all, yet any seeker of the universe’s secrets would give all they had to pass into this realm. You hear a familiar voice, faint to the ear… it seems to be the Grand Taoist, but you cannot catch his words, only his tone.

It is one of pride and approval. You do not know whether you are hallucinating his presence; nothing seems certain or permanent in this place.

“I don’t know, it’s a bit dull, isn’t it?” you think, eliciting a vague sense of mirth from the presence.

It is dull, though. No fights to be had, no maidens to be teased, nor any stuck-up bastards to mock.

Really, you are not one for philosophical transcendence. Leave enlightenment to the monks and priests.

The Flame begins to recoil from you, as if it can sense your impurity of thought even though your form is pure. You get a gradual sensation of falling even though there is nothing to fall from and nothing to fall to. The sensation grows, faster and stronger, as you suddenly fly past a giant wall, taller than the highest mountains. It has been repaired with precious jewels in places, fine cracks running along its length.

It seems familiar to you somehow.

As if you broke it once before… but that cannot be right.

You continue to plummet, falling away from the wall. A sudden cold runs throughout your entire consciousness as you get the feeling that you are being watched. There is a gaze from far off in the distance, belonging to a pair of eyes that you cannot make out. It seems dark and terrible, yet exceedingly beautiful.

There is a quiet slither.

A flicker of intent.

And your qi dissolves back into chaos, yin and yang muddling together again in a featureless sea.

The universe appears to implode, rushing in towards you, as pain unlike any you have ever felt before permeates every fiber of your consciousness, somehow replacing your every sense. Pain that can be seen, heard, smelled, felt and tasted.

Then, all is darkness.

You catch a sniff of something pleasant and reassuring. You open your eye. One of the Amesha Spenta, the younger woman called Ameretat, is lying next to you in bed, her eyes closed in slumber. She is not wearing a single thread of clothing and from the feeling of your body, so are you. She shifts in her sleep, her full body pressing up close as if seeking your warmth. You have no idea how you got here, but your hand drifts to your throat – it seems fine, as if Ahura had never crushed it in the first place. There is a knock at the door before you can react. “I need to speak with you. I am coming in,” says Vahista, and he does so. “Are you awa-“ Stopping in his tracks, the Amesha Spenta averts his eyes and reverses his path, closing the door behind him, grumbling something about overdoing the healing process.

It looks like there is a lot that you need to discuss.

Vahista returns when you are presentable, Vairya entering the room after him with a knowing grin. Without saying a word to you, Ameretat slinks away with a little smile on her face as Vahista watches on with disapproval. “She lacks the discipline required to be one of the Amesha Spenta, but we are short of qualified candidates at the moment,” he says, though you are not sure who his words are targeted at. You catch the stink of alcohol on Vahista’s breath; it looks like he has been drinking even though the sun is still high up in the sky. He turns his eyes to you – they are a little bloodshot. Worry lines crease his once youthful face. “So, you must be wondering why you are still alive,” he sighs.

“I’m sure it’s because you have taken a fancy to me,” you laugh, and Vahista’s frown deepens. “You are alive because we have no choice. Lord Ahura is dead.” Angling his head towards Vairya, he nods. The Guardian of Metal shrugs and carries a tall mirror in front of you. You look at your reflection – it seems that your eyepatch has been replaced with a bandage. “Take off the bandage, and you will see,” mutters Vahista a bit unwillingly. You do so. The cloth strips fall away, revealing your hollow socket. At first you see nothing, but as you stare at your reflection, you begin to perceive a tiny little ember dancing in the depths of the empty eye. Your brow twitches when you do, slightly concerned at the sight.

“I guess you do see it,” says Vahista. “That is a sign that you have been marked by the Eternal Flame. For others it may appear in different places, and in different forms, but for you, that is how it has manifested.”

“Is this going where I think it is? This better not be going where I think it is,” you say, a bemused smile on your face. Vahista grits his teeth. “Loathe as I am to do so, I must call you L… Lor… L-Lord,” spits out the man finally, a grimace on his face. Vairya slaps him on the back non-chalantly. “Ah, do not be too bitter about our Lord Ahura’s death. This is the will of the Light, and the Flame has spoken. Well, not so much spoken, as chosen, but it is done.” Vahista pinches his brow, his expression that of a man who has lost all hope. A single tear trickles down his cheek. “I.. I can’t do this. Give me a minute. I need to get another drink. Vairya, can you take him down to the chamber? We will talk there.”

“Of course. We will see you down there. Now, my Lord, come with me,” says Vairya without a hint of worry in his voice. Vahista stumbles out of the room, and you follow Vairya as he leads the way. Before long, you arrive at the chamber of the Eternal Flame where you had confronted Ahura. There is no sign of him now. “He burnt away, into ashes,” says Vairya. Then, he says, quietly, “Just because I call you Lord, and accept your authority, does not mean I trust you or like you. You killed my rightful master last night… but I abide by the guidance of the Eternal Flame.” You do not reply to his statement, walking forward into the chamber. The Eternal Flame seems to have shrunk, now no larger than a small bonfire, but as you approach it roars to life violently. You did it once before – you try to do it again, creating order from chaos. Your qi unravels, transforming into separate, pure streams of yin and yang. Almost instantly, the Eternal Flame becomes calm, coiling around you as you move it to your will.

The other Amesha Spenta arrive just in time to see this sight – Vahista now appearing to be completely drunk in his grief, it seems – and as one, they all fall to their knees before you, murmuring their foreign prayers.

The word ‘Lord’ comes out of their mouth more easily for some of them now, as they finally accept the reality of their situation.

Of course, when the discussion begins, the first thing you realize is that you do not know a single thing about the rituals of their temple.

“You will not be able to learn them in just a week or two, Lord,” says Haurvatat, “but you do not need to, for now.”

“Ish.. Thish.. Lord Ahura wash our symbol, and we have not yet told the adherents of his passing. We needs to… to… possh…” mumbles Vahista, drinking more with every word he tries to speak. Manah, the young man with the braided hair, speaks for him. “It will take some time. We will reveal you as the new Lord once the worshippers are prepared for the news.”

“Yes, yesh,” nods Vahista before shaking his head, trying to clear it up. “The orthodox bastards… if they find out hish dead, they’ll attack. Before we’re prepared.”

“So, leave the running of the temple to us for now, Lord,” says Ameretat as she winds a lock of hair around her fingers playfully. Vairya nods. Haurvatat speaks next, casting a concerned glance at a weeping Vahista. “In the meantime, Lord, we have heard troubling rumours from the Central Plains. As outsiders to the land, we do not claim to know the whole story, but here is what we do know. This information is from Vahista, and all credit is due to him, Lord. The orthodox sects are on the move, searching for three powerful martial arts manuals that are rumoured to have reappeared in the jianghu. They say mastery of even one of those manuals will make the practitioner invincible.” She looks up at the scrolls lining the walls of the chamber. “From what I have heard, these scrolls are a reproduction of one of those manuals.”

“That’sh right,” Vahista hiccups as he waves his hand about. “Uni… uni… something… I’m useless! I can’t remember. I can’t do anything…” He continues crying.

“It’s all right, I can read,” you say, trying to put on a comforting, lordly tone. You turn your eyes to the scrolls. The words come to you easily – perhaps it is because of your new-found understanding of your neigong. The writings are scriptures, a strange jumble of both Buddhist and Taoist teachings. You do not fully comprehend the philosophy behind it, but you understand the practical theory that the writer was trying to convey almost immediately. The technique it teaches is called the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill (無相乾坤功, Formless Universe Skill), and it allows the imitation of the martial arts techniques of others. The foundation requires that the user be able to achieve qi of a formless, featureless nature, yet attain a high purity of internal energy; this may be why the technique feels easy to you.

“Oh, so that’s how you do it,” you say.

“Pardon me, Lord?” says Manah.

“This Wuxiang Qiankun Skill. I know how to do it now.”

“B-but that can’t be, Lord Ahura spent years trying to understand just the first level!” blurts out Haurvatat.

“Oh?” Vairya raises his eyebrows in an expression of interest at your words: as expected, he wants to test out the technique you have just understood. “You know, it is a pity I cannot fight you without your permission, Lord. Do I have it?” he asks politely.

“No,” you say flatly, to his disappointment. Getting pummeled by him is the last thing you need right now; you would really prefer to save such a fight for a better time. “So,” you continue, “How did this get here in the first place?

“We do not know for sure,” says Haurvatat. “It was here when the Temple first arrived, and two generations of adherents have spent their years attempting to decipher its secrets to no avail. Lord Ahura was the first to be able to learn the technique.”

“He was, was he? He must have worked hard. Good for him,” you reply. Ameretat giggles girlishly at your response, causing the older Haurvatat to glare at her until she stops. “As for the other manuals, we know of their names, but not of their location. The Xuanming Jiuyin Holy Art (玄冥九陰聖術, Profound Darkness Nine Yin Holy Art), and the Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill (晓明九陽神功, Dawning Light Nine Yang Divine Skill). Vahista said that word of these manuals reappearing has spread amongst the Tang pugilists, and I am sure the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill is part of those rumours too. It might only be a matter of time before they come knocking at our door.”

“All the more reason to keep Lord Ahura’s passing a secret for a while,” says Vairya. “We will pretend that he is alive and recovering well while making the necessary preparations in secret.”

“Until the time comes for you to reveal yourself and smite our enemies, Lord,” bows Manah.

It seems that they have accepted you as their Lord, but you feel distant from them: what they are doing now is solely out of obligation and duty, not out of any deep respect or loyalty. The failure of the ritual and the death of Ahura seems to have been placed on your shoulders, and had you not become marked by the Eternal Flame you get the feeling that the Amesha Spenta would have bore you a terrible grudge. You also get the feeling that abandoning your position is not an option, not without offering them an alternative.

“What do you propose I do until then?” you ask. “If I am not to discharge my responsibilities as Temple Lord, shall I continue on my wanderings?”

“That may be best for now,” nods Haurvatat. “We think it would be better if you investigated the Central Plains personally. As you have learnt one of the three legendary techniques that they are after, there is a possibility it might be easier for you to find and learn the other manuals, my Lord. You should also try to find the Holy Maiden while you are there.”

“Ah, about her…”

“Yes, yes, yes!” shouts Vahista. “Now she’sh engaged to you. Just like the both of you always wanted, I am shure Lord Ahura knew that…”

“Well, I wasn’t going to be asking about that, and I don’t want to be engaged to her,” you say defensively. “Like it or not, you are the new Lord, my Lord, and the Holy Maiden will marry you,” replies Haurvatat coldly. It seems that your quick refusal irks the woman slightly, though you do not know why.

“About this Lord thing,” you begin…

A. You like it. It feels good. They should continue calling you Lord.

B. You are not used to it. They should call you by name; you don’t feel comfortable being addressed as Lord.

C. You are to be called LORD MAN TIGER PIG. Nothing else.

D. You ask them to call you whatever they want to call you. Lord, your name, whatever it is. You don’t really care, but they should not stand on too much ceremony with you if they don’t want to.

E. *suggest a name*

It looks like the Fire Temple are asking you to go on your wanderings again. Perhaps you should consider seeking out more news of these powerful manuals that have attracted everyone’s attention.

A. You head north, towards the Tianshan mountain range and Tujue territory.

B. You head north-east, towards Chang’an, Huashan and the rumoured headquarters of the Beggars’ Sect.

C. You head east, towards Emei and Qingcheng.

D. You head south, towards the Buddhist kingdom of Dali.

E. You head west, deeper into Tibetan territory.

F. You refuse to leave: you are staying at the Fire Temple no matter what they think. You are the Lord and they cannot stop you from doing what you want.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  16. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    :bro:
    Good one.

Game over fire god hijacked your body. Fringing niggah.

^ Top  
  17. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Oh what a bombshell :) treave you outdid yourself and the pressure was immense waiting for this update :) I even feel a little bad for Vahista, but then again I feel good that he is on our side :smug:
    So now we should be the BEST possible Lord of this temple there ever was, lets get called Lord Vahista got trolled enough for now and I don't want to lose his loyalty. We should go find Yunzi so she can teach us the Fire Cult ways and we can teach her (if you catch my drift).
    This whole situation is great because we finally have an army to crush the dickless generation :incline:

Im voting AB - we find our Maiden (not for long) thanks to beggars info and try to gain some infodump, also learn what that beggar was doing in Tibet.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Jester Arbiter

Jester
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yunzi is in the Central Plains. There is nothing she needs from Tujue people.

And certainly not from the immortals.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Then either Beggars Sect or Emei?
    Then lets go to Beggars Sect and get some info, but don't spill the beans on what happened (only to our closest people).

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Not until her tribe is reunited, at least. It was the current Tujue tribes in power that scattered them in the first place, so it's not advisable for her to return right now.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Alright, -5 to neigong cap, but fuck it, this new skill is awesome. This trip was worth it.

Quick question, treave, can we learn the Yuhe Finger and other techniques from our companions now? "A legendary neigong technique that births form from formlessness, allowing the user to imitate both the form and essence of another’s techniques even if it would normally require years of practice or decades of inner strength cultivation. You are able to mimic the techniques of practitioners with a lower level of internal energy when in an orderly state." It seems like our companions should qualify for us to mimic.

^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    E- Spud :troll:
    and E- to Tibbets.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    So should we pick B in the last update there would be a nice crater where we stand now?

^ Top  
  25. Excellent update!

1A - Simply because Yunzi will have to call us Lord too. :D
    I'm thinking either B or D for number two. The beggars might know more about what is going on and the location of the manuals. Then again, those "formlessness" Buddhist techniques treave mentioned sound pretty nice.
    2B>2D>2A
    ...for now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.