Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Surrender the Yuchang sword? FUCK. NO. They can pry it from our cold, dead hands.
Miecao is writing a recommendation though, and Qilin is pretty damn clever and good with words.
Miecao's word isn't worth too much these days, certainly not enough to get them to a Forbidden Technique (crazy,like incorrect theory: Wuxing revealed Miecao's favoritism and got Yifang kicked out of the monastery along with it, which is why she grew her hair out and Miecao is asking if we will take care of her).
Speaking of old gam-gam, treave, would she now be willing to pass down some of her unorthodox knowledge or words of wisdom to Jing? It is only thanks to her that we invented the Deceptive Fish Stab, after all.

Tribute

Arbiter
On the subject of our relations with the various sects, I have every intention of getting a solidly positive relationship with the Wudang sect if we ever get the opportunity, because A) we almost joined them in the first place, B) Big Wang was great, and C) Guo Fu belongs to that sect and he's a very loyal guy - we don't want him being ordered to oppose us. That and it really would be nice to pick up that qinggong if we can, but I really do quite like the Wudang.

We can hopefully get in good with Qingcheng as well if we work this right, especially considering how much mutual like there is between Jing and Song Lingshu already.

We should probably look into getting into Shaolin's good books as well. That'd be two of the oldest and most respected sects, and then also the largest sect.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't greatly care about the scroll right now, Absinthe.
I'd rather see to if that we have all help at hand when checking on the BROchick.

Tribute

Arbiter
Oh, and the Beggar's Sect. Getting in good with those guys would be ludicrously useful, considering all the wandering we do.

Kipeci

Arcane
That was actually Esquilax 's theory, which I must say is a sound one. But all of the sects have to put up with Wuxing's bullshit.
We don't know anything about the relationships involved here, which should give us pause, not encourage us to meddle. If Esquilax is right then you're basically balancing whatever irritation that they might have with Nie against their desire to stay in power as some absurdly strong pugilist runs around trying to restore people to their rightful places as sect head. We could provoke a very strong backlash here that could very well outweigh whatever benefits we might have if we made Qingcheng into a sect with a friend at the head of it.

Unless they, too, are Secret Policemen, I don't see your point. The Sects put their own people into place, just that Wuxing is trying to win maximum approval now. Restoring Lingshu isn't as horrible as you paint it as.
They appear to be collaborating very closely for unrelated people just established in their own things, don't you think? We introduce some uncertainty for their positions if we try to take out sect heads to replace them with ones we think are politically better for us. I'd prefer to quietly seek to amass power before getting entangled in that mess, especially since we know so very little.

Tribute

Arbiter
So yeah, that's four of the Eight Sects right there that we actually like and haven't burned our bridges with. I'd say that's not half bad, as long as we work at it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, and the Beggar's Sect. Getting in good with those guys would be ludicrously useful, considering all the wandering we do.
Yeah, I think that Chang'an should definitely be our next stop. The Beggars' HQ is there now, Huehueshan isn't far away (we really need to have a talk with Madam Nie), Shunbro may be around if he finished his galloping in Turfagistan, and Shaolin aren't far away.

Absinthe

Arcane
Surrender the Yuchang sword? FUCK. NO. They can pry it from our cold, dead hands.
It's really their sword to begin with, and we haven't been doing much with it since you guys went for kenjutsu. I would like to really do something with it, but then we'd have to quickly learn a lot.

Miecao's word isn't worth too much these days, certainly not enough to get them to a Forbidden Technique (crazy,like incorrect theory: Wuxing revealed Miecao's favoritism and got Yifang kicked out of the monastery along with it, which is why she grew her hair out and Miecao is asking if we will take care of her).
This I doubt. Miaozhu seems the type to respect her elders and predecessor. Now, if we go there, she will probably see the perfect opportunity to barter for the Yuchang Sword. If Cao'er and Qilin go there, then it's quite possible she would respect her predecessor's wishes and consent. Don't forget when we chose to disclose to Song Lingshu, that actually really paid off even though we blatantly put ourselves in a position of weakness by doing so. There are times when these things do pay off.

Speaking of old gam-gam, treave, would she be willing to pass down some of her unorthodox knowledge or words of wisdom to Jing? It is only thanks to her that we invented the Deceptive Fish Stab, after all.
I strongly second this. Our Yuchang tech is still stupidly low.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's stupidly low because you guys opted for the wodao tech only. Miecao can give you tips, but she can't teach you through sparring in her present condition, only through words. The only way to actually improve the sword technique is to either get a proper manual, or do it through battle.

Baltika9

Arcane
FIGHTAN it is then. Unless we get Chi You's, ours, original sword and spear, or we are faced with an extraordinary situation, no way am I letting go of the Yuchang sword.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Emei would have the manual you want, and it'll be easier to access than the Jiuyin Huagu Palm.

Esquilax

Arcane
Kipeci I'm not really arguing this choice because Qingcheng has an unassailable lead over a trip to the Emei Library anyways. I'll save my argumentative energy for when I have a vague, completely unsubstantiated suspicion that Master Nie is about to drain Yang Xue of his life force so that he can become the invincible dictator of the jianghu... unless we stop him right now by sneaking into Mount Huashan!

People really want to go to Qingcheng, and while I'd rather we focus on leads to investigate the Nine Yin Holy Art, I'm not going to push my agenda on this one as aggressively because the stakes aren't as desperate for now. You could also argue that given that the Eight Sects are searching through every rock of China for these manuals that sabotaging their conspiracy would also disorganize their efforts to look for it somewhat. And it would be nice to have a sect or two that likes us out there. So it's got that going for it.

Would you guys be up for switching to 2C? In 2C, we have Cao'er and Qilin investigate the scroll for us (Cao'er should have good rep with Emei considering how much time she spent training there and Qilin can contribute her guile and social skills, plus Cao'er can memorize the scroll) and Jing goes to Qingcheng to help out miss Song Lingshu. That way we could get the scroll, help out at Qingcheng, and not surrender the Yuchang Sword.

No, as Baltika9 said, it won't turn out like this. I think that this strikes me as a little bit of trying to have your cake and eat it too. We should put our full efforts in either task and not try to do both things half-assed here. If we're trying to get to the bottom of a conspiracy involving poisons and various shady connections to places, we probably need Cao'er and Qilin helping us here. However, your idea to send the girls off to Emei with the Yuchang Sword in exchange for a trip to the library will probably work, though I don't like it, because you're giving away a priceless weapon that many in the jianghu would do anything to acquire... in exchange for a trip to the Library that won't lead us to the Nine Yin technique manual by itself. Sounds like a shitty deal.

We haven't really spent much time cultivating our Yuchang Sword technique, to my regret, but then again we might be able to learn styles for it quickly with our new-found Wuxiang Qiangkun Skill. It allows us to learn techniques exceptionally quickly, so perhaps we'll have the opportunity to pick a few techniques up for it in the near future.

This I doubt. Miaozhu seems the type to respect her elders and predecessor. Now, if we go there, she will probably see the perfect opportunity to barter for the Yuchang Sword. If Cao'er and Qilin go there, then it's quite possible she would respect her predecessor's wishes and consent. Don't forget when we chose to disclose to Song Lingshu, that actually really paid off even though we blatantly put ourselves in a position of weakness by doing so. There are times when these things do pay off.

I don't know about that. If Cao'er and Qilin show up there without the Yuchang Sword, I think that Miaozhu will just refuse them entry, because she'll think that Jing is full of shit for not showing up for this personally. It's basically "Oh, he knew I'd ask about the Sword, and he sent other people to show up for him instead. No, of course I'm not going to let them into the Library. If Xu Jing has business with me, he better show up in person." We might be able to negotiate something if we show up personally and not give the sword up (despite being a Castration Nun, the old lady and her team were rather fond of us), but I don't think that she'll let Man Tiger Pig's friends in without the accompanying sword as a token of our goodwill.

Absinthe

Arcane
It's stupidly low because you guys opted for the wodao tech only.
Uh, that's because you gave us an all or nothing option which becomes distinctly unappealing when you take out the +1 Swords, already have a solid basis in swordsmanship (so the benefit of another sword tech is smaller), and would still have to train it for a full 3 months. That would make just about everything else higher priority.

Miecao can give you tips, but she can't teach you through sparring in her present condition, only through words. The only way to actually improve the sword technique is to either get a proper manual, or do it through battle.
If it helps us any to improve the Yuchang Sword technique, we'll gladly take tips.

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, I remember that way back when in Maniac Training Part I, Jing could have taken a CHA upgrade and become, in your own words, a "man of profound mystery." How would that Jing fare as the Cult's leader?
Philosophical blabbering that sways them.
Man, I'm really regretting not going for that MYSTARY JING! option. At first they'd be like:
DanBackslide-405338_604_403.jpg

But then we'd be like:
Wololo+_8404cf89a994d4b608db5e2836e033af.jpg

And then they'd be like:
450px-Majestica.jpg

Ah, the roads not taken...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's stupidly low because you guys opted for the wodao tech only.
Uh, that's because you gave us an all or nothing option which becomes distinctly unappealing when you take out the +1 Swords, already have a solid basis in swordsmanship (so the benefit of another sword tech is smaller), and would still have to train it for a full 3 months. That would make just about everything else higher priority.

All or nothing? What? You guys were the ones who determined the maximum time limit and the techniques you would want to learn and made the list of the final voting options yourselves. :lol:

Here's the consequence of the choices made: in the end, you didn't favour the Yuchang Sword tech, you picked the wodao tech, you didn't think it was a good investment of three months to master a self-made Yuchang Sword tech after you already had another sword technique, and as such your Yuchang Sword tech is stupidly low, as it were. None of this is really my doing.

If it helps us any to improve the Yuchang Sword technique, we'll gladly take tips.

You have it. :rpgcodex:

Absinthe

Arcane
Baltika9

That was another one of those cases where the timing was bad. Jing, you're getting trained by a master martial artist. Would you like to focus on your non-combat stats? To be fair, that was a pretty decent offer, since animals presently do not get along with Jing and 2 luck could've done a lot to improve Jing's fortune, and it even had Artistic Skill. But our minds were elsewhere.

I think we should try to maximize luck stat if we get another char in. See what happens if we manage to reach 10 Luck.

All or nothing? What? You guys were the ones who determined the maximum time limit and the techniques you would want to learn and made the list of the final voting options yourselves. :lol:

[...] None of this is really my doing.
"Determined." That clusterfuck was the epitome of indecisiveness. We were redoing the voting system like five times alone while we were trying to vote throughout that discussion. There was a powerful incentive to avoid adding new shit to the mix. I can totally fault you for that. :lol:

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I wanted to go Dog Adjutant just to see how a 0 Luck Jing would fare, but no such luck. :-(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"Determined." That clusterfuck was the epitome of indecisiveness. We were redoing the voting system like five times in that discussion alone. There was a powerful incentive to avoid adding new shit to the mix. I can totally fault you for that. :lol:

I... uh... :neveraskedforthis:

Yeah.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It seems that I'm not doing enough to really make that 1 LUC feel like it is actually 1 LUC. Fine, if you insist...

Esquilax

Arcane
It seems that I'm not doing enough to really make that 1 LUC feel like it is actually 1 LUC. Fine, if you insist...

Excellent. If we aren't captured by the orthodox sects and made to watch as Qilin and Cao'er are raped by Zhang Manxing within the next four updates, I will consider our voting to be a tremendous success. At that point, the event will break us psychologically the same way that Yang Xue was brought to despair by Li Ming. They have created a monster that they cannot hope to contain now.

Grimdark awaits us, bros. Embrace it with open arms.

treave, on an unrelated note, earlier, just before we sneaked into the Fire Temple, you said that "Jing wouldn't rate his chances against any of the Amesha Spenta" in a one-on-one match. With our recent neigong increase, would we be roughly equal to one of the younger, junior Amesha Spenta like Ameretat or Manah?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom