Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Don't you think treave will want to have a say in this? I just don't see us starting over, no matter what. This story is coming to its conclusion, with the Tiger Adjutant as the protagonist. Talking about other combinations in another playthrough is simply silly. :rpgcodex:

Yeah, if it ends now I'll move on instead of tediously redoing the same storyline all over again with another character. Even if we continued, a setting change would be mandatory to keep things fresh. A time-skip into a later dynasty with other characters, for example, or dropping the current character in deep freeze and reawakening him in the modern day where all knowledge of ancient martial arts has been lost. The latter would have had a possibility of happening if you guys had ran off to Tianshan anytime before this update. Not anymore, though.

Esquilax

Arcane
And now with Esquilax's prodding, Jing's life is in even more danger - hence why the 'dex is planning the re-roll already. Lame times, bro. :/

Heh, I was joking about the whole thing. Of course I want a proper conclusion for Jing! To be honest, I think that the Goat Doctor character blows - I'm not much interested in a Julius Gallardo LP. Starting out, I was more interested in either a Goat Adjutant because I loved the description, or a Pig Farmer, where we'd play a big, dumb oaf who is blessed by fate. Though given treave's most recent post, if Jing does end up kicking the bucket, the character creation options will be significantly different than the ones that were available during the initial one anyways.

On an unrelated note, treave, if we gave up our own arm to Yang Xue back in the caves, would we have been able to arrive at Heihu Valley on time and possibly prevent the deaths of the Grand Taoist and the Abbot?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
On an unrelated note, treave, if we gave up our own arm to Yang Xue back in the caves, would we have been able to arrive at Heihu Valley on time and possibly prevent the deaths of the Grand Taoist and the Abbot?

Not in time to prevent the poisoning, but they'd have survived.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But... what we would have been able to influence? That battle was far beyond our abilities. 'Nie Wuxung level' hardly seems enough to make a difference.

Or would we have been able to prevent the explosion altogether? Was it really the qi that exploded? The fire medicine gave us all an idea that the unBRO sects put a gunpowder to use.

Baltika9

Arcane
'Nie Wuxing level' is pretty fucking good for a seventeen year old kid, we would've made a ton of difference in the actual fighting during the tournament itself.

Nevill

Arcane
'Nie Wuxing level' is pretty fucking good for a seventeen year old kid, we would've made a ton of difference in the actual fighting during the tournament itself.
So you think it would have been possible to avoid the explosion if there was one more Nie Wuxung on our side? It would make a ton of difference? Somehow I doubt that.

Baltika9

Arcane
Avoid the explosion? Hell no. Help out on the stage during the gang fight where Wuxing and his cronies were play-fighting and not actually doing shit? Hell yes.

Nevill

Arcane
Avoid the explosion? Hell no. Help out on the stage during the gang fight where Wuxing and his cronies were play-fighting and not actually doing shit? Hell yes.
But the Abbot have lost his life and Qi Liuwu his arms when they were trying to protect the rest of the team from the rocks. Which resulted from the explosion. Which you seem to think would have happened anyway.

I don't know, man. From what we've seen, the Frathouse were endangered more by the backstabbers than by actual foes.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I guess we would have arrived in time to save them from falling rocks.

Being at Nie wuxing level is nothing to sneeze at though.

Baltika9

Arcane
But the Abbot have lost his life and Qi Liuwu his arms whe they were trying to protect the rest of the team from the rocks. Which resulted from the explosion. Which you seem to think would have happened anyway.

I don't know, man. From what we've seen, the Frathouse were endangered more by the backstabbers than by actual foes.
Right, and the Manly Conqueror's Spear is strong enough to break through anything, which includes rocks.
Which means we could have saved Fangzhang and Qi Liuwu's arms from them.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
But... what we would have been able to influence? That battle was far beyond our abilities. 'Nie Wuxung level' hardly seems enough to make a difference.

It does if you're actually contributing, not all of the Amesha Spenta are as good as Vairya or Vahista. It'd be enough to force Ahura to beat a hasty retreat before the cliff collapses, at least.

Tribute

Arbiter
It seems that I'm not doing enough to really make that 1 LUC feel like it is actually 1 LUC. Fine, if you insist...
Sure it does. 1 Luck mostly seems to mean that his luck is extreme, and Jing stumbles into terrible situations constantly. First he gets beaten nearly to death and thrown off a cliff by bandits, only to be picked up by a guy who states outright he'll kill him if he tries to leave. Oh, and he's got an apprentice who is A) quite possibly insane, and B) in love with Jing. Then he gets sent off on a sidequest and ends up nearly accused of murder. Then he stumbles into the most dangerous man in the jiang hu who threatens to kill him and all his friends if he doesn't accept an apprenticeship, despite that life expectancy as one of Zhang Jue's apprentices is about that of a world war fighter pilot. And then it turns out that that sword he found means he's constantly being attacked by nuns who want to tear his balls off. Oh, and his new master smashed all of his meridians and nearly killed him in order to force him to master his qi.

A simple sidequest to fight some pirates turned into a life-or-death political struggle between two nations where he had to get himself beaten half to death to prevent a massacre.

A vacation to a mansion saw him get into a life-or-death fight with a toad demon.

Everything about the Black Dragon Society.

The fact that every time Jing introduces himself he ends up fleeing from the place while it's either literally or figuratively in flames.

He's the one guy in 20 years who runs into the crazed cannibal lurking in the tunnels underneath the palace, and almost has to hack his own arm off to escape.

He reaches Heihu Valley just too late to save any of the Frathouse Bros.

And the fact that a "freak accident" just murdered the prince of Tufan...

Oh, and then there's the part where a simple sneaking/investigation ended up awakening a god of chaos and darkness that he had to completely rework his own chi and momentarily achieve enlightenment in order to fight off.

LUC 1 comes up almost constantly, it's just that Jing usually either bullshits his way through it or powers his way through it, usually at some cost to himself. Also occasionally it results in good things, like him ending up on the good sides of the Frathouse, and the Sword Saint, and just stumbling across a legendary sword.

I have to wonder, though, what would a LUC 10 character be like? Would they have a perfect quiet life where they just coast through everything, or would they have similarly extreme luck, it would just mostly be good things and they wouldn't have to take absolutely insane risks in order to come out ahead?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Tribute said:
LUC 1 comes up almost constantly, it's just that Jing usually either bullshits his way through it or powers his way through it, usually at some cost to himself.
Comes with the sign.
Tiger Adjutant
Powerful, quick, smart and sociable, the Tiger Adjutant is a naturally impulsive character whose hot-headedness has been somewhat tempered by his upbringing so that he won’t mistake his own boundless courage for actual invincibility. He will at least look before he leaps. His strong, confident outlook on life has allowed him to forge ahead despite his horrible luck.
But yes, we seem to run into these situations constantly. Makes getting the best out of them all the more rewarding.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I have to wonder, though, what would a LUC 10 character be like? Would they have a perfect quiet life where they just coast through everything, or would they have similarly extreme luck, it would just mostly be good things and they wouldn't have to take absolutely insane risks in order to come out ahead?

Women = Bad Luck

Therefore

LUC 10 = No Women

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Women = Bad Luck

Therefore

LUC 10 = No Women
:hmmm:

Tribute

Arbiter
So we just sleep with an endless train of handsome men, then?

Jing's already pretty homo, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We should have gone for the Dog Adjutant. He would have all the women.

But then he would probably be castrated right in the prologue, too.

Naah, probably something worse.

All the woman who would chase us are ugly ones and we stir up homolust in handsome young men

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Qingcheng Succession

“I’m going with you.”

You look at Yifang, who is standing in your way. She had run out and stopped you right before you left the cottage. “Pardon me?” She stares at you, looking eerily similar to Cao’er. “I said, I’m going with you. You are planning to visit Miss Song, right? I will come too. She is my best friend after all, and I have not heard from her in a few months.”

You laugh. “It looks like you are as nosy as ever, little nun. Well, not like I have the right to say anything...”

“Please do not tease me, Master Xu!” she exclaims. “I am very serious about this. If you do not take me along I shall follow you anyway.” She would. In that respect, she and her sister are definitely alike.

“Take her along, Xu Jing.” Miecao is standing at the door of the cottage, Yao holding her hand as support. “Whether you visit Emei or Qingcheng, Yifang should be able to help you gain entry.”

“She would be bored keeping us company all day anyway,” adds Yao. You cannot help but sigh. “If the grandparents have said so, then I will let that be the final word.” Miecao is right – it would probably be easier to gain entry to both sects with an honest, upstanding orthodox pugilist like Yifang around. “I will keep her safe and bring her back as soon as I am done,” you say.

Yifang shakes her head firmly. “You do not need to worry about me. I am no longer the same girl you once knew.”

“In more ways than one, clearly,” you grin, making your gaze obvious as Yifang flushes. A sudden burst of killing intent from Miecao stops your teasing. The former abbess’s stony, unflinching glare bores into you and rids you of any impure thoughts you might be harbouring. “W-well,” you say, “if you are packed, then let’s be off.”

“So, why did you stop being a nun anyway?” asks Qilin. The four of you are sitting in a Chengdu restaurant, having spent some time gathering information about the Qingcheng Sect before making your approach.

“Grandfather and Grandmother needed someone to take care of them, and my sister was… well…” Yifang casts an awkward look at Cao’er, who only gazes back blankly. “What?” says Cao’er brusquely. It seems like there is a bit of friction between the two sisters – Cao’er had spent the better part of the last two years with you on the island, and that had left only Yifang to take care of Yao and Miecao in their old age.

“Do you not think you might be a bit selfish at times, sister?” says Yifang quietly.

“…I go with Jing. No matter what,” replies Cao’er with an air of finality. Yifang seems displeased; the argument is likely to continue. Qilin glances at you; you understand what she is trying to convey with her eyes – she is asking if you want to step in, or leave it to her.

A. You step in, trying to mediate the conversation between Yifang and Cao’er. Perhaps you can take charge and try to find a solution for all four of them to live together peacefully.

B. You leave it to Qilin to solve the problem between Yifang and Cao’er. She should be able to understand them better than you do; you’ll follow what she suggests.

The conversation moves to the topic of Song Lingshu and the Qingcheng Sect afterwards. It is a topic that makes you clap your hands to your face, leaning your elbows on the table. As it turns out, Mao Sanjiao is planning to marry Song Lingshu, a girl young enough to be his daughter.

“Again? Is this the season of marriage?” you groan.

“…disgusting old man…” comments Cao’er.

“It makes some amount of sense. Mao Sanjiao does not have an heir yet. Should Song Lingshu marry another man and bear a child, they could gain enough support to form another faction in Qingcheng, and threaten his reign,” says Qilin. “Right now, the entirety of the Qingcheng Sect is already united behind him. Making the popular daughter of the last sect head as his wife will only strengthen that support into something unassailable.”

“Under the leadership of Mao Sanjiao, they have also gone from strength to strength in the past two years by pursuing the policies Song Jiangke laid down,” you say, laying out what you have found. “In fact, they have absorbed many smaller schools, and turned them into branches of Qingcheng all over the country. They might not have the numbers of the Beggars, or the clout of Huashan, but as far as wealth and influence amongst the commonfolk go, Qingcheng Sect would rank very highly.”

“I would call it a well-timed move,” Qilin says. “The question is, is the girl being pressured into it, or is she doing it willingly?”

“I cannot see Miss Song doing it willingly,” says Yifang confidently. “We need to talk to her.”

“I don’t think we can just walk in there and demand to see her,” says Qilin. “Besides, the wedding will take place in two days, and a lot of luminaries from the other sects have been invited for the festivities. I hear that the new head of the Beggar Sect is already here, as are the masters of Taishan and Kunlun. I am unsure who Wudang and Shaolin would be sending, but as for Huashan, Bai Jiutian is present as his master’s representative.”

“Abbess Miaozhu will probably be attending too,” says Yifang.

“I think I have just about had enough of weddings,” you mutter, and Cao’er pats your hand tenderly. “Anyway,” you continue, “what do you suggest we do, Yifang? She is your friend after all – you know her better than we do.”

Yifang lowers her head in silence, thinking deeply. Then, she says, “I should be able to obtain an invitation if I ask. The people at Qingcheng still know me. We will be able to get in that way without doing anything wrong; they have set up rooms at the sect for the visitors.”

“They are also hiring more servants to assist with the big day. We might be able get in from there, Jing,” says Qilin. “That way, we also get paid!”

“Perhaps you could sneak in yourself to talk with her,” Cao’er says. “…you did it the last time with me.”

“Or we could just walk in openly on the day of the wedding to pay our respects,” you say, causing all three girls to glare at you.

It looks like Yifang and Cao’er would enter Qingcheng via invitation, while Qilin would infiltrate disguised as a servant. As for you…

A. You enter with Yifang and Cao’er, using the invitation to gain entry. You will disguise yourself as best as you can, allowing you to mingle with the orthodox pugilists more easily and befriend them. Even if they do recognize you, your invitation should shield you.

B. You infiltrate the help together with Qilin, talking your way into service. This should gain you entry to places like the bedchambers and the kitchen easily should the two of you think up some dastardly plot regarding the wedding, as well as pick up information from the servants.

C. You sneak into Qingcheng alone at night, separately from the others. It would be too late for you to sign up with the help or enter by invitation afterwards, but you only need to talk with Song Lingshu and find out what she thinks about all this.

D. You will arrive on the day of the wedding to pay your respects to the couple, walking in openly without any fear or invitation. There is no need for you to skulk around or pretend to be someone else.

E. This distraction might be a perfect chance for you to gain entry to Emei – the girls seem keen on poking their nose into Qingcheng’s business and you will let them do so while you head over to Mt. Emei to sneak into the library.

ERYFKRAD - x C>D
Tribute - A A
Nevill - B B
Smashing Axe - A B>A>C>D
Akkudakku - B B
Kashmir Slippers - A B
profreshinal - A B>C
Elfberserker - A C
Baltika9 - A B
XenomorphII - A A
Lambchop19 - B B
Kipeci - A E
Rex Feral - A C>B
ScubaV - A B
Azira - A B
GreyViper - B A
Anabanana - A B
Jester - B A
Absinthe - A C
archaen - A B
Kz3r0 - B A
Esquilax - A C
Grimgravy - A C
Zero Credibility - B B
Ganymede - A D

Final tally:

Mediate / Don't mediate

A - 17
B - 7

Method of entry

A - 5
B - 12
C - 6
D - 1
E - 1

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
AA for now. I don't want to stay uninvolved with Yifang and Cao'er, and I'd like to start building bridges with those sects we actually like. Song Lingshu will be our top priority here, but I do want to get on with mending our reputation with Wudang, Shaolin, the Beggar's Sect, et al.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Regarding invitations, to pre-empt any questions: etiquette dictates that the orthodox pugilists cannot make an unprovoked attack on you if you're here by invitation. The most they can do is challenge you to a friendly match to 'lighten up the festivities'. As for them possibly recognizing Cao'er as Yao's apprentice, they won't if she's cleaned up and well-dressed.

Of course, being able to get to the kitchen has its own advantages, as do the other choices.

Tribute

Arbiter
I suggest we go in under invite and remain entirely civil and friendly. We need to start working against the rumours that have been circulating in our absence.

Nevill

Arcane
BB.

Let the girls enter via an invitation while you infiltrate the building and give indigestion to everyone, then proceed to the final stage of the plan.

And I think Bai Jiutian will be attempting to do something about Lingshu, too. We might want to be prepared for that.

This marriage should not happen. It is suicide to allow Mao to control half of the pugilistic world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom