Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol: Sorry if you thought I was arguing for 1C, but I'm not talking about that. Publicly crashing the wedding and getting all the heat on us isn't my plan at all. My plan is to do Lingshu a solid and secure her and her sect's support for the future. I'm just throwing an idea about using BJ as our tool to bring the conspiracy to light, which we absolutely must do if we want the Cult to have a future in China. Nie and his buddies had time to consolidate their positions, yeah, but we have our leads and suspicions. We absolutely can bring the Douchebag Generation to justice if we investigate this.

Which leads me to my next point: Ahura's approach won't work for us as well, manuals or no. Personal power is all well and good, but we also have to build reputations and alliances, as well as become a powerful strategist, to carry us through. The Sects don't need to march halfway across Turfan to reach the Temple, it's right on the border with China and they'll be crossing friendly teritorry to get there. Logistics won't be a problem for them. I'm not saying that I'm ignoring them, just that we have other important goals and opportunities that we shouldn't give up to chase the shinies.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

One would think that Sanjiao does not place too much stock in honor - as long as it does not help him in his own goals. Since you will be trying to get at all the Eight Sects at once, and not at him specifically, I don't see a reason why he would not proceed with the marriage - if not now, then in a week.
Think about it:

It's not about him placing stock in honor, it's about everyone else. Besides, honor or no, there is no way, NO WAY, anyone would want their wedding to continue while people are shitting their pants. Maybe later, but....one week later? Nope. This isn't modern day, this is before the car. Everyone will have already journeyed home in embarrassment or left to hunt down the perpetrators. MAYBE in a few months, IF Song hasn't taken back power.

It's happening on his territory, under his watch. Yes, it humiliates the sects too, but that is irrelevant. HE is the one in charge here. It's his wedding, with his name on it. And not just him, but his whole sect. When people talk about it, they'll talk about the "Qingcheng wedding" and how Mao let all his guests shit their pants. Jokes wil be made about the odd odor coming from Qingcheng territory. "Joining Qingcheng? Are you going to bring diapers?" etc.

In the eyes of the commoners, they will have lost a great deal of respect and some of the other sects may blame them for their losing face as well.

edit: btw, lest anyone think this is bad for Qingcheng, I'm actually doing this because it's the best option I can think of for Song. If she marries Bai instead, there is a good chance we'll have to fight her and her sect at some point. It's better to humiliate them for now to save their lives later. (Yeah, I know, I'm such an altruist. :roll: Seriously, I don't want to do this chick real harm if possible. Think long term here, bros.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipeci

Arcane
Which leads me to my next point: Ahura's approach won't work for us as well, manuals or no. Personal power is all well and good, but we also have to build reputations and alliances, as well as become a powerful strategist, to carry us through. The Sects don't need to march halfway across Turfan to rech the Temple, it's right on the border with China and they'll be crossing friendly teritorry to get there. Logistics won't be a problem for them. I'm not sayong that I'm ignoring them, just that we have other important goals and opportunities that we shouldn't give up to chase the shinies.

And we aren't taking his approach. Actively doing nothing to antagonize people is better than his approach because at least it doesn't make everyone think you're a huge threat that needs to be stomped down and eradicated... that we also have strong personal relationships with the other cult of master poisoners and assassins, the emperor of the country and the guys who are about to be setting up control in Japan along with a decent number of important people in various positions should indicate that we aren't going to be friendless and alone, to say nothing of the people who will want to curry favor with us precisely because of the power of the fire cult.

I think we have enough friends that we can safely decide to stay away from attempting regime change in as many sects as possible in favor of cultivating a yet more intimidating personal power for the moment. I'm for installing regime change with our fists after that great power is secured, of course. The worst thing that can happen is that the orthodox guys power themselves up so that we don't even have the advantage of basically unmatched highly skilled fighters in addition to the numbers advantage, so I think that alone should be a good reason for pursuing 'the shinies'.

Should worst come to worst and the area is invaded en masse, Tibet is a mountainous land and I'm pretty sure we can find some sort of bottleneck somewhere to make numbers less of an advantage for their side.

I'm just throwing an idea about using BJ as our tool to bring the conspiracy to light, which we absolutely must do if we want the Cult to have a future in China. Nie and his buddies had time to consolidate their positions, yeah, but we have our leads and suspicions. We absolutely can bring the Douchebag Generation to justice if we investigate this.

We're more likely to be his tool than the other way around, and Jing has as of yet expressed no interest in unveiling anything about a conspiracy. The poisoning of the masters isn't in itself an insurmountable thing that they can never reside in the land with it as a stain on their record; the common folk just want to have some order so that they aren't stabbed by any passing bandit. The orthodox guys have a deeper enmity with the Fire Cult, but the poisoning of the masters is just one part of a list of grievances that they have with them; remember, a lot of people lost their lives on both sides, and proving that the Fire Cult didn't poison the masters (as unlikely as that would be) won't be bringing the dead back to life. The rift there isn't sealing any time soon.

We have basically none leads on investigating this anyway. All we know is that the orthodox don't know who they were poisoned by, the orthodox guys think it was the Fire Cult and the current orthodox heads had a lot to gain out of the matter. Those are really slim pickings to go around digging up convincing information after two full years of time to dispose of the evidence, and even if we did dig it up... do you think that people will accept the words of renowned scoundrel Xu Jing as the gospel truth the moment he speaks out about it? Especially when it's revealed that he is the leader of the Fire Cult, a figure that may have some slight interests in providing a biased account?

Baltika9

Arcane
Japan is three quarters of the way across the globe, our Imperial connections don't mean jack while the Fire Cult still bears the blame of Heihu and Wang's death, so Shun cannot help us at all. Our 'friends' in the pugilistic world are: Guo Fu, Murong Yandi and his Master, Lingshu...and that's about it. Our public reputation is likewise abysmal. Also, 'instituting regime change with our fists' is the exact same thing Ahura was doing...so, yeah.

As for leads, we have Chi Tianxie and his ex-wife, Nie Wuxing's current wife, knowledge of the Cult's innocence and Yao's testimony that Wang's poison qas of Wudu origin. The threads are there is all I'm saying.

Bros, I was right about Operation Maiden Capture, I was right about not sending Cao'er to heal the prince (and was even almost dead on about how she would die), I voted for going to the Fire Temple, entering the Fire Temple and for the Taoist option that saved our life and gained us a cult and a power boost.

Put your faith in me on this one, bros. I will take the blame if I am wrong.

Ahem. You are only assuming I was half right. We don't know what would have happened after that as treave never revealed it. I'm guess Ahura would have tried to wreck our shit though. Not sure if it would have made much difference in the end - but it probably would have added the twin flowers to our harem. :(

And I was leaning toward entering the Fire Temple anyway. You just sent me over the edge.

I've got the power, bros. The power to pick the right option and this is it. VOTE CB. VOTE FOR LAXATIVES.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lambchop19, you also voted for becoming a Turfag general. :P

And I'd rather blame Baltika9 anyway.

No, I'm saying two princesses are better than one.

Baltika9

Arcane
But we would have missed out on Firelordship. And that girl was also a monogamist so she was a bad deal, honestly.

Bah, girls talk about monogamy. They just need Qilin and Cao'er to break them in. And with the entire Turfag army on our side, we would have been able take down Ahura...eventually.

I'm not saying I pick the right choice every time. Just more often than you, Mr almost got us killed twice in the last few updates. :smug:

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not saying I pick the right choice every time. Just more often than you, Mr almost got us killed twice in the last few updates. :smug:
:lol: Ya got me there, I do tend to get overthink some things and make the wrong conclusions sometimes. Or vote for the most 40K/Khornate option out of principle.

Still win more good ones for us than I vote for bad ones. Those never end up winning anyway, so you could say that it's a team effort. No one's perfect.

Kipeci

Arcane
Japan is three quarters of the way across the globe, our Imperial connections don't mean jack while the Fire Cult still bears the blame of Heihu and Wang's death, so Shun cannot help us at all. Our 'friends' in the pugilistic world are: Guo Fu, Murong Yandi and his Master, Lingshu...and that's about it.

Japan is far off, yes, but it's not as if there's no material or manpower support they can provide. Similarly, if you think that Shun can't help Jing at all in this matter because he's the king of the country then I don't know what to tell you. He certainly found a way to spare the Wudu Cult when they've long been associated with a great many assassinations and dishonorable dealings and he'd only met the leader once! Similarly, he wants to check the power of the Orthodox-- he's not going to allow them to destroy the power base of an ally of his simply because they're butthurt about orthodox troubles, he's trying to phase the nation to a point where they aren't needed and don't have their overwhelming power. Don't downgrade the help he can give by saying that oh, he can't do anything. Similarly, while most of the people we're friendly with in the orthodox sects aren't in power, they're generally strong, influential people likely to become important later or else potentially serve as headers of certain factions within the ranks of the orthodox. You've also not mentioned our ties to the Wudu Cult, or the fact that we're almost certainly going to be having certain groups try to make friends with us because of the Fire Cult's power.

Our public reputation is likewise abysmal. Also, 'instituting regime change with our fists' is the exact same thing Ahura was doing...so, yeah.

Yes, and? Jing's a scoundrel, but so what about it? He's not running any popularity contest here. Orthodox guys generally dislike him, but the main body of the public really won't care much one way or the other unless we instill order in the countryside, in which case they'll probably be more inclined to hear about the benevolent side of his previous actions. Even the Wudu Cult gets some support from the nearby people since they keep away the bandits, and they're sketchy as hell.

Ahura wasn't about putting in regime change, he wanted the orthodox sects to be put out of power entirely so that he and his throbbing dick could provide order to the country. I'm confused by what you're saying; you were actively advocating trying to put Jing's friends in power throughout the orthodox sects, yes? Why is is suddenly bad now that I've said I wouldn't be against it if Jing were to get his act together and acquire the immensely broken manuals?

As for leads, we have Chi Tianxie and his ex-wife, Nie Wuxing's current wife, knowledge of the Cult's innocence and Yao's testimony that Wang's poison qas of Wudu origin. The threads are there is all I'm saying.

Yeah, and actually using that information for the first will get the ally heading the Wudu Cult or our wife executed because you're implying that they leaked out the secrets of the Cult to Nie's wife, the second is effectively worthless to state to the world because of course the head of the Fire Cult would say that and the third... I don't remember him saying anything about a poison gas, but mentioning Yao will get him essentially executed, too. He's in hiding for a reason, after all. That investigation seems more likely to wipe out half of our allies rather than grant us any new ones, since again, no one's going to take Jing at his word. No one took him up on his word about the son being a poisoner at Songfeng, and he didn't even have an incentive to lie about that! How much less will they trust his words when it turns out that, surprise! He's actually the head of the Fire Cult.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah no, Shun can't do jack for us publicly.
Ah, yes, being publicly in league with the evil foreign cult that killed the respected Grand Taoist. I'm sure that'll go over well with his court.
I can see us leaking all the evidence we find on the Conspiracy to the Constables through Gao and Shun, and getting the Emperor to bring down his righteous pimp hand on the Douchebag Generation. That should do it.

"He's the killer, I just know it!" is not probably not admissible court - even ancient chinese court. Also, we need to stop drawing up elaborate solutions to problems that involve Shun - the guy who we ditched twice now to run after Yunzi, "F you, old friend!" - or the nation of fucking Japan putting their necks on the line for us and committing military or political assets out of nowhere.

Nevill

Arcane
You can always count on Lambchop19 to cry "Theseus" whenever there is a male character involved. The trauma from EPIC runs deep.

Advertising caution with revealing our allegiance with the Empire to Yu because THESEUS? Check. Hating on Wuni because NAIM? Check. And now he is wailing on BRO Jiutian because of some irrational fears. Tsk-tsk-tsk.

Seriously, though, where does the dilemma of 'DO WE TRUST BAI JIUTIAN?" come from? This is reaching the 'Meeting with the Masters' level of retardation with all the 'do you trust the Gteat Taoist to do the right thing?!' questions flying around. I don't trust the guy. I don't mistrust the guy. I barely know him at all!

The question that should be posed it this: do you believe that the two of you have a compatible goal that you can work towards? I do, so I vote what I vote.

It's not about him placing stock in honor, it's about everyone else. Besides, honor or no, there is no way, NO WAY, anyone would want their wedding to continue while people are shitting their pants. Maybe later, but....one week later? Nope. This isn't modern day, this is before the car. Everyone will have already journeyed home in embarrassment or left to hunt down the perpetrators. MAYBE in a few months, IF Song hasn't taken back power.
As for 1C disrupting the marriage because Sanjiao loses face - well, I don't think so. Certainly he has much to lose from it, reputation-wise. But should Lingshu marry someone else, he will lose it all. Most of Qingcheng would unite behind Lingshu. Who would want to follow an incompetent leader? In that case, his best move would be to proceed with the marriage anyway without much publicity or fanfare and save what he can still save. There is nothing to lose for him if he does, and there is much risk if he doesn't. It would be a rational choice to make.

The bolded part is the important one. No way Mao will allow it to happen, and marriage is what serves this purpose best - that's why he is attempting it in the first place. He'll bear with humiliation if it saves him his position.

Also, we need to stop drawing up elaborate solutions to problems that involve Shun - the guy who we ditched twice now to run after Yunzi, "F you, old friend!"
I don't see a problem as long as we don't do it for our benefit alone. I don't think he appreciates the Grand Eunuchs ruling the jianghu through Wuxung or Sanjiao. Do not forget that the orthodox sects still control more than the half of the Empire's economy and are a large military force by themselves.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
"He's the killer, I just know it!" is not probably not admissible court - even ancient chinese court.
It is when the emperor backs it. But I reckon between Shun and Xiahou Yu they might have a bigger hard-on for due process now. Plus we haven't been good pals to Shun as of late, although I reckon he still likes us considering what we've done for him so far (minamoto and emperorhood).

Last edited:

You can always count on Lambchop19 to cry "Theseus" whenever there is a male character involved. The trauma from EPIC runs deep.
Nah, actually treave cried it for me this time. ;)

Actually, I don't think Bai is really Theseus. A Theseus betrays for love. Bai is too "perfect" for that. I think Bai is closer to Dio with more looks and fighting skill, but the Theseus name is more fun to throw around because of the obvious incoming betrayal etc. Just a gut feeling there.
Seriously, though, where does the dilemma of 'DO WE TRUST BAI JIUTIAN?" come from?
Apart from the fact that he's always been a bit of a dickhole and is aligned with someone we strongly suspect to have been the cause for half of the messes we've been involved in? (Rong, the Cult poisoning...ok, maybe not half...) I dunno.

(And who was it that said never to trust someone who wears that much white?)

Nevill

Arcane
Similarly, if you think that Shun can't help Jing at all in this matter because he's the king of the country then I don't know what to tell you. He certainly found a way to spare the Wudu Cult when they've long been associated with a great many assassinations and dishonorable dealings and he'd only met the leader once!
And here I was thinking he couldn't have exterminated the Wudu cult even if he wanted to and planned to kill the Emperor because he would have to commit genocide and destroy his own powerbase otherwise. But no, it turns out he did it out of the goodness of his heart because Tulu Huody was such a cutie.

Similarly, he wants to check the power of the Orthodox-- he's not going to allow them to destroy the power base of an ally of his simply because they're butthurt about orthodox troubles, he's trying to phase the nation to a point where they aren't needed and don't have their overwhelming power. Don't downgrade the help he can give by saying that oh, he can't do anything.
He does want to keep them in check. But he needs us uncovering their dirty secrets and rivalries to play them against each other. And he certainly can not make his support for our cause public. That would equate declaring war on the orthodox sects.

Similarly, while most of the people we're friendly with in the orthodox sects aren't in power, they're generally strong, influential people likely to become important later or else potentially serve as headers of certain factions within the ranks of the orthodox.
Wait, who are the people we are friendly with in the orthodox sects? I think Baltika9's list covers everyone, and two of them aren't even a part of any sect. Who are you talking about here? :lol:

Look, I know that you prefer building up the personal strength to the point when you are ready to leave Song Lingshu to her fate and go to Emei without Yifang to gain us entry and without sister Miazhou to decide if they can let us in or not (and she is the only person the Abbess referred us to), but I can't help but feel that a few political plays will benefit us and the Cult much more than merely being a badass and facing the united Eight Sects.

Apart from the fact that he's always been a bit of a dickhole and is aligned with someone we strongly suspect to have been the cause for half of the messes we've been involved in? I dunno. (And who was it that said never to trust someone who wears that much white?)
I meant that nobody here is arguing for hugs and kisses. A one-time job is all that is on the table riight now.

You can have a working relationship without having to expose your back, you know?

In any case, I want to get to Lingshu ASAP now. BJ is much less likely to backstab you when there are other people around.

And as far as him being aligned with Master Nie... I have my own ideas about that.

Last edited:

Nevill said:
A one-time job is all that is on the table riight now.
A one time job with major consequences.
As for 1C disrupting the marriage because Sanjiao loses face - well, I don't think so.
You don't think you lose face when all your wedding guests shit their pants? Wow. Remind me never to attend your wedding. :P
Certainly he has much to lose from it, reputation-wise. But should Lingshu marry someone else, he will lose it all.
Who cares about completely ruining him? Why is he suddenly our biggest threat? Fact is, we DON'T want him to marry her and this accomplishes that. But I see ZERO reason to have her marry someone else. If she marries, say, Bai - who is THE likely candidate, especially if he helps us rescue her from this bad marriage - Bai's sect will have an unprecedented amount of power. Sure, I don't know beyond the shadow of a doubt that he or his master is evil as fuck, but why would we help them take over a big part of the pugilistic world when we don't know for sure?

Nevill said:
The bolded part is the important one. No way Mao will allow it to happen, and marriage is what serves this purpose best - that's why he is attempting it in the first place. He'll bear with humiliation if it saves him his position.
And if he no longer has the clout to maintain his position because of this humiliation that he not only endured, but also allowed his sect and the other 8 sects to suffer, how would he stop Song from taking back authority?

Nevill said:
Most of Qingcheng would unite behind Lingshu. Who would want to follow an incompetent leader?
And see, you make my case here. He will look incompetent and since most of Qingcheg will unite behind Song anyway, she'll be able to take back power.

Nevill said:
In that case, his best move would be to proceed with the marriage anyway without much publicity or fanfare and save what he can still save. There is nothing to lose for him if he does, and there is much risk if he doesn't. It would be a rational choice to make.
For him, but not for Song. Do you remember what the girls just told us? She is choosing to do this right now for the good of the sect. Why would she continue to choose to do so if the guy has been humiliated?

Nevill

Arcane
Lambchop19 said:
You don't think you lose face when all your wedding guests shit their pants? Wow. Remind me never to attend your wedding.
Dude. Please. Bear with me.

Nevill said:
Certainly he has much to lose from it, reputation-wise. But should Lingshu marry someone else, he will lose it all.
Here is what I wrote. What part of it does imply that he doesn't lose face?

Seriously, dude. :rpgcodex:

Lambchop19 said:
Who cares about completely ruining him?
He does. Obviously. :|:|:|

Lambchop19 said:
And if he no longer has the clout to maintain his position because of this humiliation that he not only endured, but also allowed his sect and the other 8 sects to suffer, how would he stop Song from taking back authority?
This is what I am talking about. The only way for him to retain the authority would be to marry Lingshu and leave no other possible pretenders to his position, because that is how heirship works in Qingcheng.

What is stopping him from doing that?

Lambchop19 said:
He will look incompetent and since most of Qingcheg will unite behind Song anyway, she'll be able to take back power.
Is this not an incentive to marry her ASAP, no matter how it looks like?

Mao spent several decades infiltrating Qingcheng. He will not give up because he is too ashamed to proceed with the plan.

I kind of wonder if not paying Yao/sending for him the second time was his advice, after all, that landed on a fertile soil. Removing the leadership through the Killer Physician is a sort of a plan that I would not put past him. I am probably overthinking that one, though.
Lambchop19 said:
Why would she continue to choose to do so if the guy has been humiliated?
Why indeed. Why is the guy in power at all if Lingshu is capable of leading the sect by herself?
He is not going to lose all of his connections overnight because of the humiliation. It will weaken him, but not destroy him, and you can rest assured he will try to get back on his feet by whatever means possible. He does have influence on Lingshu.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom