Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
Hey treave, if we go 1A, could we use our 4 Scholarly Knowledge and 2 Artistic Skill to write a quick martial arts manual for the rest of the kicks? I imagine it would be a crappy manual, but Qi Liuwu's understanding of martial arts, scholarly knowledge, and artistic skill should be high enough that he could figure it out.

Kipeci

Arcane
It was said that he needs personalized instruction to compensate for balancing issues since he doesn't have arms, I don't think a stick figure manual is going to be too great for helping that out. Plus, Jing seems like he'd just be better conveying stuff physically or by feel rather than by words.

Absinthe

Arcane
I was suggesting that we write him a manual in addition to the personalized instruction, so that he could pick up the rest by himself once we're gone.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was suggesting that we write him a manual in addition to the personalized instruction, so that he could pick up the rest by himself once we're gone.
"And so when your legs are nearly parallel to the ground, bend one knee and then stick the foot out. Most people will have to flap their arms a bit to stay in the air...... Um, how fast can you wiggle your ears?"

Absinthe

Arcane
Well we do have 4 Scholarly Knowledge and 2 Artistic skill, so we should be better than that.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Artistic skill - Rank 2 - "You understand what you should be doing, but you are not very good at doing it."

Scholarly Knowledge - Rank 4 - "You are as adept at it as any average practitioner of this skill. In other words, you are mediocre."

I wouldn't count them as strengths.

Though I agree it would be cool if we could teach him, the whole set.

Absinthe

Arcane
Like I said, I figure it would be a crappy manual. I'm just thinking it might be enough for Qi Liuwu to use, given personalized instruction and Qi Liuwu's own high skills (unarmed, scholarly knowledge, artistic skill), which should let him understand what we're trying to convey. I mean if we teach him half of the techniques and demonstrate the rest of the Wuying Leipo Kick a few times, then with the shoddy manual he could figure out the rest and complete the tech. I reckon this could work since he's the one who tried demonstrating the full eighteen palms to teach us.

In its own way, a crappy manual might be for the best :lol: because only Qi Liuwu could use it.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Bear in mind, we won't get so much of the palms if we don't invest the time to teach him here ourselves. We should either go all the way or leave, I think.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think I already explained this but, I am voting in favor of actually teaching him (AA vote here). I just want to make sure that not only do we teach him at least half, but that he could learn the whole thing.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think I already explained this but, I am voting in favor of actually teaching him (AA vote here). I just want to make sure that not only do we teach him at least half, but that he could learn the whole thing.
Why, though? Tech him half of the Wuying Leipo now in exchange for some Dragon Palms, and teach him the other half later in exchange for more Dragon Palms. Let's not give away it for free here.

Absinthe

Arcane
Dude, Qi Liuwu has been giving us dragon-subduing palms for free as is. He tried to give us all eighteen in our first meeting. We don't need to worry about a careful quid-pro-quo here. I'm sure he'll be happy to help us out with the rest if we can't just Wuxiang Qiankun it. Also, the dude is a bro and we want to make sure he'll be fine.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
AA

This dude is just awesome. How do we not spend some time learning from him and teaching him?

Esquilax

Arcane
Dude, Qi Liuwu has been giving us dragon-subduing palms for free as is. He tried to give us all eighteen in our first meeting. We don't need to worry about a careful quid-pro-quo here. I'm sure he'll be happy to help us out with the rest if we can't just Wuxiang Qiankun it. Also, the dude is a bro and we want to make sure he'll be fine.

Qi Liuwu is a friend and a BRO, and when it comes to friends who are good-hearted and trustworthy like him, thinking about what we get in return doesn't even cross my mind. The dude is awesome. That being said, I think it's a moot point because he probably needs to leave Chang'an soon anyways:

“Take a seat first, Xu Jing. I need to be going off again soon. There is – unfortunately – beggar business in the east.” He gives you a pained look as he says it.
D. You leave Chang’an, heading towards Luoyang in the east. Shaolin Temple is there, and it is clear they have at least part of the Xiaoming Jiuyang manual.

Not so sure how long Qi Liuwu and his protege, Ji Muo, are going to be in the area. It seems that Muo is heading towards Shaolin Temple, but I have a feeling that Qi Liuwu would probably be going with him. I don't see why he'd stick around here for long when he has business elsewhere.

Kipeci

Arcane
Because that puts us at a further delay?

Anyway, treave could we hear of the rationale behind the girls picking the moves that they did? I understand Cao'er going with Reikan for maximizing her broken perception stat as well as the diving eagle grip to put to use those pressure point skills, as well as Song opting for the No-Effort Sword Song, but I'm not sure why Yifang would want to know Jing's underwhelming self-style moves (except maybe to understand his counter better so as shore up her Qingcheng stab against it, but that doesn't tell us why she picked up the pine-felling lunge move, too) or Qilin to pick up the first step of the Mad Claws instead of Reikan or the Kuanglang Step or something.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think Qilin's rationale is that she needs an unarmed attack that is just raw damage instead of some kind of qi/poison/pressure point strike.

I was surprised Yifang went for Self-taught Sword though.

Tigranes

Arcane
Interesting. 1A is no brainer, but for the time constraint - we already lost Gao Ying by speaking to the beggars (which I don't regret), and given the nature of the constabulary incident where they already lost it to a mysterious attack, the trail may already be cold (and indeed, Gao Ying could well have left in pursuit of a lead).

I almost feel like we owe BJ an apology for inviting him to a good plan then fucking it up royally, but hey, he's not free from blame, having sent us Zhang. But he now suspects we have access to a manual at least and it's hard to see what good we can get out of finding him out of our own volition.

AD > BA.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tigranes, it was mentioned that if we want to talk with BJ, we have to do it now, before he becomes convinced we have the manual. So this choice, too, has an opportunity cost attached to it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Interesting. 1A is no brainer, but for the time constraint - we already lost Gao Ying by speaking to the beggars (which I don't regret), and given the nature of the constabulary incident where they already lost it to a mysterious attack, the trail may already be cold (and indeed, Gao Ying could well have left in pursuit of a lead).
Good point, but Shaolin isn't the optimal choice for us: how in the hell are we going to get past the Shaolin librarian monks without bringing the whole sect down on our head? Moreover, is it worth it to completely tank relations with them?

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't think the trail with the constables is going to run particularly cold. The constables were entrusted with the manual and would be investigating the trail without us.

As for Bai Jiutian, I have my doubts that he'd specifically discern it was Wuxiang Qiankun. He probably realized we used special sword techniques, possibly that they were reminiscent of their own formation, but I don't think he'd immediately conclude OMG Wuxiang Qiankun. Also, if we join the Ten Swords gathering he could get thrown off the trail since only Emei, Yao, Qi Liuwu, and Zhang Jue know that we have the Yuchang blade, so this revelation will tell him we've been hiding our swordsmanship and get him guessing different things. If we keep giving off signs of Wuxiang Qiankun though then he will certainly suspect it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Updated the tally.

Wait, treave, was this Xuxian guy a Shaolin monk or just a servant that worked there? I mean, before he found the manual, of course. If he wasn't a pugilist before, but he managed to become strong enough to injure the Abbot and develop a neigong as powerful as the likes of Vairya and Master Zhang even with only part of the Nine Yang Divine Skill manual (!), then this thing is absolutely fucking nuts.

He was a monk, the temple has no servants to do the dishes. He wasn't, or wouldn't have been strong enough to be part of the representatives for the Young Tiger Tournament two years ago, that's for sure. After the Burning Librarian Monk Incident monks were segregated by martial ability and restricted in the techniques they have access to, but you'll hear more about that if/when you get there.

edit: Also, I realize that I mentioned him in the same breath as Vairya and Zhang Jue, but that's because the ones most approximate to Xuxian's neigong level are dead. From what Jing could gauge, it's quite likely that Xuxian has neigong approaching the level of Wang Zhengchong or pre-timeskip Ahura, though his skills don't come anywhere near close.

treave, has Xiahou Yu found his family's killers yet, or are they still on the run? Attending this conference might give us a chance to finally find out who did it.

As far as you know, he hasn't.

treave How secret are our ties with Shun still? Manxing knows, is it common knowledge in imperial court circles? Liuwu also knows. But has this knowledge found it's way to some of other orthodox sects?

In Imperial circles they know that before ascending to the throne the prince once had a childhood playmate that was sent into exile. Your continued connection to him is not common knowledge. The orthodox sects would not really know unless someone blabs.

Hey treave, if we go 1A, could we use our 4 Scholarly Knowledge and 2 Artistic Skill to write a quick martial arts manual for the rest of the kicks? I imagine it would be a crappy manual, but Qi Liuwu's understanding of martial arts, scholarly knowledge, and artistic skill should be high enough that he could figure it out.

As long as he has had experience with the prior moves that could work, but it might take long enough that he hasn't made much headway the next time you meet. But it would help. Yeah, you could write one.

Anyway, treave could we hear of the rationale behind the girls picking the moves that they did? I understand Cao'er going with Reikan for maximizing her broken perception stat as well as the diving eagle grip to put to use those pressure point skills, as well as Song opting for the No-Effort Sword Song, but I'm not sure why Yifang would want to know Jing's underwhelming self-style moves (except maybe to understand his counter better so as shore up her Qingcheng stab against it, but that doesn't tell us why she picked up the pine-felling lunge move, too) or Qilin to pick up the first step of the Mad Claws instead of Reikan or the Kuanglang Step or something.

This is just what they start off learning, so they're picking what's easiest for them to understand, to begin with.

Yifang is interested in your personal philosophy and thinks both moves would add repertoire to her swordplay, particularly the second one. She is talented enough to devise variants of it on her own through further practice and her experience with Emei's style.

Qilin needed some fighting moves to work with, she already has good qinggong that is hard to improve by picking up more, and claw instruction gets rather physical with you guiding her arm movements from behind, so she enjoyed the intimacy. Also, she's not as studious as Cao'er and can't pick up two separate techniques that fast.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yifang is interested in your personal philosophy and thinks both moves would add repertoire to her swordplay, particularly the second one.
Good. We have such sights to show her! treave, can we ask Qi Liuwu where Jiu Mou is headed? perhaps we can join him if his destination interests us?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, can we ask Qi Liuwu where Jiu Mou is headed? perhaps we can join him if his destination interests us?

He's going all the way east to Tianjin. It's a trade center, but nothing else of note that you know of as far as martial arts go. It is likely just beggar business, since they run it like a trade union and there's actually a lot of administrative work involved compared to the other sects.

Baltika9

Arcane
I see. And why is Yifang so interested in our personal philosophy? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, just curious as to why we intrigue her so much. Uh, and what is Jing's personal philosophy right now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom