Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, Xiaofang is important. I think we can safely assume that he works for Gao Ying.
treave said:
“Wait!” whispers Xiaofang desperately, “I’m the Emperor’s loyal servant!”

“Aren’t we all, when we find ourselves about to be beaten?” you smile.

“No, I do mean it. I serve the Emperor directly. I have heard of your name from my superior. We are on the same side!”

You groan. “I hope it’s not who I think it is.”
No one else among the Eunuchs would know that Jing is still active and affiliated with the prince - and instruct his subordinates accordingly.

But him being on Ying's side does not mean he is on ours. It is entirely possible that Ying wants to have an unfair trial to have Tang army invade Youxia City and put it back under Tang rule, for example.

The plot does not appear to be conducted by Ying, though. He is hardly behind the disappearance of one of the manuals, so the trail leading to Du Yao is not of his doing, at least. Still, one of the constables going missing at a time like that is highly suspicious. If he is captured, that would indicate that someone is trying to mess with the investigation. If he is hiding, that would implicate his involvement with the recent murder somehow. Both possibilities are not something you can safely ignore.

Of course, it might turn out that the bandits have nabbed a pretty lady in the midst of the brawl (this is Youxia City) and are now in the process of discovering their mistake - and the whole thing is a giant red herring, but I think after what Pang Xiahou said that turn of events is unlikely.

I think this list of Baltika9's I can agree to:

C. 1,5
D. 8
E. 8
F. 1,5
G. 2,4

The question is, where to put Jing and Qilin.

Definitely, but I think Jing should also talk to someone else instead of option 8. We'll just ruin his day yet more by showing up when we can get the straight story from our justice girls, and Jing's charisma is I think better suited to asking the servants, guards, or daughter about what's been going on.
Yeah, on second thought, Jing's talents match Qilin's, so talking to the chief might not be the best choice.

Based on Jing's own words, I am willing to assign him to the servants:
“No problem,” you grin. “I’m good at getting servant girls to spill the beans.”

A 3,7

While Qilin will handle rumor gathering (that is what she is best at) and join him in the search for Xiaofang. Yes, I think it is that important.

B 6,7

I am not too keen on having Lingshu and Yifand wander the streets, though assigning them for rumor collection might be not that bad of an idea. Still, I don't agree that they need to reinforce Qilin - it's the other way around. :)

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, I can agree to having Jing and Qilin both hunting for Xiaofang. Youxia is a dangerous place and I'd feel much more comfortable if Qilin had some muscle around with her.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
“Will it be a problem, Zheng Fan?” asks Lady Suien.
On a completely unrelated note, I never knew Chief Zheng had fans. With these people in charge I think our chances at a fair trial are quite good!

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol:
I am not too keen on having Lingshu and Yifand wander the streets, though assigning them for rumor collection might be not that bad of an idea. Still, I don't agree that they need to reinforce Qilin - it's the other way around. :)
That's kinda the idea: Yifang and Lingshu provide Qilin with muscle and protection (she's our second worst fighter, though awesome at street smarts and socializing) while she keeps them out of trouble and gainfully employed.

Baltika9

Arcane
Then again, when has she ever succeeded in reigning them in?
She never had to, really. I'm not sure what you're saying here. She's Number One, she can handle them, hell, that's her job.

Yeah, flop me to Nevill's Plan, he made some solid corrections.

Nevill

Arcane
That's kinda the idea: Yifang and Lingshu provide Qilin with muscle and protection (she's our second worst fighter, though awesome at street smarts and socializing) while she keeps them out of trouble and gainfully employed.
You forget that Qilin almost never gets in a fight. Anyone who messes with her gets poisoned horribly.

Really, the girls are much more likely to attract trouble than to protect anyone.

Anyway, with Jing around, we should have that covered as well.

Baltika9

Arcane
You forget that Qilin almost never gets in a fight. Anyone who messes with her gets poisoned horribly.

Really, the girls are much more likely to attract trouble than to protect anyone.

Anyway, with Jing around, we should have that covered as well.
This is Youxia City, dude. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong here. Besides, the girls are there to be her muscle and her backup in negotiations. A place like this may need some skull cracking to get answers, and Yifang and Lingshu are our top two in the category.

Nevill

Arcane
She's Number One, she can handle them, hell, that's her job.
We need to do waifu ranking one of these days. These are the things that need to be put to a vote.

A place like this may need some skull cracking to get answers, and Yifang and Lingshu are our top two in the category.
We are arguing details we already agreed upon, but I don't think Yifang and Lingshu qualify as the ones who would crack skulls for answers.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A. Xu Jing 8, 2
B. Chi Qilin 2, 8
C. Cao'er 1, 5
D. Yifang 7, 3
E. Song Lingshu 7, 3
F. Lady Suien 5, 1
G. Fu Xia 6, 4

There are eight tasks to carry out today:
  1. Inspection of Du Yao’s corpse, currently on ice inside his mansion.
  2. Questioning of Du Yao’s daughter, who was the first to find Jiang Zheng and her father.
  3. Questioning of the mansion’s help – the common servants.
  4. Questioning of Du Yao’s staff – his lieutenants, guards, and other people related to his business activities.
  5. Investigation of the mansion and its grounds for any clues.
  6. General investigation of the city for any rumours and leads that can be linked back to the death.
  7. Search for Xiaofang, the eunuch constable who is still missing.
  8. Questioning of Jiang Zheng, the chief constable who is being held in prison.

Baltika9

Arcane
We are arguing details we already agreed upon, but I don't think Yifang and Lingshu qualify as the ones who would crack skulls for answers.
I'd be much more at peace if Qilin had our best fighters with her. She can keep them out of trouble, they can keep her out of harm's way and provide asskickings where needed (8 speech= "Bad guys over there, they stole that kid's ice cream! Beat them up!")

And, yeah, she's our Number One. She covers all of Jing's weaknesses, he covers all of hers and they love one another like no one else. They're fucking adorable.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
C1 naturaly its the only way :)
E2
B3 also seems that it should work out
G4
F5
D6
A7,8
Damn we need 1 more person. I thibk i matched personalities to tasks

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A8,3
Jing has both the speech skills and the clout to question the constable. The "justice girls" don't. If this guy is hiding anything - like Xiaofang's involvement or location, we need to know. He's important as he is likely the only real witness. Jing has already proven his ability to get info out of servants as well...
B2,6
Qilin is good at bending other women to her will. She's also got the speech skills to investigate rumors.
C1,5
I want to pair Cao'er with Miss Feng. They are book bookworms, but also seem to have the fighting skills to back each other up in a fight. With their brains, they should be able to put together what happened and protect eachother should anything go wrong.*
D,7
E,7

These two have proven they are a hassle, yes, and that they don't mix well with the natives, however, I think that if we give them a task and set them to it, they are focused enough and capable enough to pull it off. They're a good team and should be able to cover a lot of ground together. More so than Jing or Qilin alone - especially since this is the only task I'm assigning them to.
F1,5
*See Cao'er.
G,4
As Nevill said, he's been working this beat for a while and should know his way around an interrogation with these types better than anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
And, yeah, she's our Number One. She covers all of Jing's weaknesses, he covers all of hers and they love one another like no one else. They're fucking adorable.
Yeah, I pushed for teaming up with her ever since we met. She is an ideal fit for us.
We would be a perfect, unbeatable duo (even though we aren't at a disadvantage being solo). Infiltration missions would go so much smoother with her around - each of you can charm their socks off the opposite gender, while the other sneaks around. Your fighting style revolves around your strength, while she would excel at diversions and covert assassinations (or knock-outs, if you prefer being non-lethal). Truly, there is little to no ground uncovered if you team up.
But I can't help but notice a severe lack of Cao'er in the updates. :( I want more spotlight for our creepy stalker!

D,7
E,7

These two have proven they are a hassle, yes, and that they don't mix well with the natives, however, I think that if we give them a task and set them to it, they are focused enough and capable enough to pull it off. They're a good team and should be able to cover a lot of ground together.
They are also the most gullible out of the team, and I think dealing with Xiaofang will require more finesse that those two could ever muster.

Also, I think it would be better to assign a man to talk with Du Yao's daughter.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Team Jing up with Cao'er and you'll get a first-hand account of what she gets up to with the corpse. The same applies for the other characters.

Sorry, it's just that you made me throw up in my mouth a little...

Nevill

Arcane
Of course, Lambchop19. Our heart belongs to Shun as our ass belongs to Zhang. Thank you for the reminder.

The trauma was too much for him, it seems.

Team Jing up with Cao'er and you'll get a first-hand account of what she gets up to with the corpse. The same applies for the other characters.
Hmm. I forgot some of the inter-character dynamics. I will rethink my vote a little.

Also, we have to consider the possibility that at least one of these options is a time/people waster.

Nevill

Arcane
Also, we have to consider the possibility that at least one of these options is a time/people waster.
If you don't have an idea which one - and we don't, - might as well assign people to everything.

Personally, my money is on the daughter/Zheng being red herrings. But we still need Zheng's account of what happened here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom