Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It actually started off as a place for adventuring and vagrant pugilists to rest their feet, hence the name. The criminal element only came about some hundred years or so back.

You're already having dinner right now, actually.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
  3. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Treave, is the food already paid for or do we have the treasurer with us? I just can't help but wonder if we're going to have an entertaining bill for all this that we can't actually pay.

^ Top  
  4. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Maybe working on fixing it up would be a good way for Lingshu to make a name for herself. Help make it into a haven for wandering heroes again. And then offer anyone promising a place in her new Qingcheng.

Just... not all on her own, and not by completely overthrowing the current establishment. We don't want a repeat of last time.

Yeah, I just meant bringing it up and asking about it. It's neat, and I imagine Jing would think it's neat. Most of his scholarly interests lean toward weaponry and military affairs, yes?

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Funny that you asked, Jiang is about to leave without paying. :lol:

But Lady Suien is holding the purse for this excursion, and given the current status of the city the word of the Emperor's agents can count for something. A bit of something.

You might have to write a letter to Shun, depending on how things turn out.

He would, after this fuss is settled. Whether she would talk is another matter, though.

^ Top  
  6. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    That's a good point. While he'd probably ask purely out of curiosity, knowing the codex we'd then start trying to combine it with our Fire Medicine to equip the Fire Cult with guns.

Which would be a potential theat to the country.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
  8. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    They don't know that we have gunpowder though ;-)

^ Top  
  9. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Really, for all this talk about how everyone's going to see Xu Jing as Fire Lord as a threat to China and whatnot... if nothing else, the fact that we're close personal friends of the emperor should help there. Of course, none of the authorities in the jianghu know about that, and the imperial court doesn't like us much.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    How would it help? The Emperor can not oppose the same Eight Sects that control almost all of the economy in the Empire and contribute a sizeable amount to its military forces. He can't support either us or the Fire Cult directly. So what exactly do you propose?

We are not going to war with China, but a confrontation with the orthodoxes is only a matter of time.

^ Top  
  11. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Mostly in that we're not an active threat to the country, its culture, and its way of life. If we were, the Emperor wouldn't put up with us.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I have this nagging feeling that Yunzi is in the same restaraunt as us at this very moment. Hopefully B3 gets her attention on us.
    And as it stands right now, he cannot afford to publicly help us thanks to Ahura's actions, e.g killing Wang.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    They don't control all of the economy, though. They do keep order in and around the cities and mountains of where they're established, and they are ridiculously powerful relative to non-pugilists (not to mention that they have a lot of influence among the people and other shadier things) but I think our perception is somewhat colored by the fact that Jing doesn't really care about much that's wholly unrelated to pugilism. He has been looking for a way to curb their influence and while I agree that he probably wouldn't publicly use the military against them or anything on that sort of level were they to try attack the Fire Cult and he knew that we headed it up, there's no reason to think that he wouldn't be providing any sort of support to us. Look to the situation with the Wudu Cult, he can figure out ways to support his friends without succumbing to external pressures.

^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Well, given that our buddy Jixuan Wuni and Shun are both in high positions of power in Tufan and Tang, respectively, they could stand united and make an effort to at least postpone the Eight Sects from going on a cross border excursion on the pretense of avoiding a diplomatic incident. Fangshi suggested something like this earlier, and that might be a good idea. I mean, we have two powerful people who think that Jing is a good guy and are willing to help us. Of course neither of them can help us openly, but if we can delay the Eight Sects for long enough, the Fire Cult can prepare a proper defense.

Of course, we're probably thinking ridiculously far ahead here. We'll cross that bridge when we reach it.

Where do you think all the money in China comes from? The rural areas bring in taxes and food, and the Eight Sects have done the Empire's job during Taisheng's reign. I'm sure that Emperor Xuande is turning things around, but he's only been Emperor for two years at this point. Gonna take a while to unfuck things:

The Eight Sects under the Douchebag Generation could exert a lot of pressure if they want to. In the Frathouse's time, Wang and co. chose not to involve themselves in political matters, but Nie Wuxing has been rather adamant about seeking out political connections. And there's Mao Sanjiao as well.

Shun has been fighting a lot of corruption along the way, and Operation: Immortal probably ensured that he would be able to get his reforms through with very little dissent, but you aren't going to fix three decades of misrule overnight.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    That doesn't say anything about the orthodox sects bringing in the taxes, though. What it did do was essentially make the prefects petty princes of a sort ruling over areas as they wished so long as they submitted some sort of tribute from their general area, it doesn't say anything about the Orthodontists actually being the collectors.

Note:
    These guys specifically protect the ones who are near-ish to them. This is as opposed to those 'central officials' not giving a shit and just extracting payment from whoever is in their jurisdiction without really providing anything in the way of security and so on.

The orthodox sects are definitely influential and powerful in military force, as well as being viewed positively by at least the people protected by them, but they're not the cornerstone of the economy. The main problem with the orthodox sects is that for Shun to devote his time to neutralizing them as a threat would mean that he has to take away resources from other areas, which is rather hard to balance for one of the world's largest and most populous empires with pressing military concerns on the borders as well as other severe internal issues. We've seen that Shun has at least launched some sort of campaign against the Bandit Kingdom in Youxia city to put it in its current state as opposed to how it was in the alternate timeline, I guess he views them as a more pressing concern for the moment. Which makes sense; if the bandits become less of a problem, then those who protect against the bandits aren't going to be as important.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    This does:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    That's because they're protecting the peasants from getting killed and having their stuff stolen by bandits, which would seem to strangle tax collection. They don't actually collect the taxes themselves.

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    How does it make them any less in control of the situation?

No Emperor would want them on their bad side, not until they have an alternative in place.

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    And he's evidently preparing that alternative by launching campaigns against the Bandit Kingdom, which would make their protection less necessary. He has time to continue down this current path, they're not attacking tomorrow.

There's nothing saying that his help needs to be obvious in the form of the whole Tang army marching out to meet the orthodontists or anything, the emperor does have his more subtle agents. We all love Gao Ying, right?

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    He is not going to replace their functions in a year. Hell, five years would be a stretch.

Which brings me to my initial question - what kind of help do you expect?

^ Top  
  21. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Do you think they're going to strike within the year? It takes a long while to travel to the area as one person, let alone an army. Coordinating the logistics for that and sending out the call for everyone to gather in the first place is going to take a long while since the orthodontists aren't set up like a military (remember the sort of set-up for striking against the pirates) on top of the time it takes them to figure out that the Fire Cult actually has a copy of the manual. They're not the kind of place that you want to attack on a whim, you want to be sure about it because launching such an attack will inevitably spill out an ocean of blood on both sides. I think he will have some room to offend their sensibilities by the time we are discovered.

I have to admit, I don't know. I'm not expecting an open military intervention or anything of the sort. Maybe supplies to hold out at the Fire Temple? Maybe he seizes some monastic possessions while the pugilists are out of town, diverting some of their forces to head back home and complain or fight? He's smart and he has smart advisers, I'm sure he can figure something out as happened with the Wudu.

What I do think is that it's strange to expect him to just say, "Nah, it'd be a bother with Orthodontist relations to do anything at all so just try not to die too painfully."

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes. I expect them to strike while the hysteria around the manuals is still strong. People who would be reasonable otherwise would be blinded ny the promise of power, or by fear of letting their enemies have access to the legendary manual. Leave it to Wuxing to spin the campaign of revenge while the death of Wang is still fresh in their minds, and you'll have an army on your doorstep within months. It's not like he cares much about spilling blood of his own allies.

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    It's been two years. It's not so raw that they would totally disregard any sense to chase the Fire Cult on rumors without taking proper preparations.

^ Top  
  24. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I mostly just wanted help with our PR, which is absolutely something the Emperor can do.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Kipeci, Tribute, I already asked about requesting Shun's aid to the Cult publicly a couple of updates age, here's the answer we got:
    We shouldn't expect him to publicly side with us, it would be suicide for his political career. At best we can expect him to just stay out of it, but I think Fangshi's idea to get Tufan and Shun to at least postpone them on the pretext of an international incident is a genius one. Gives us more time to build up and train our forces, and build connections.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.