Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The problem is that he has been made the scapegoat he won't know anything, this is why we should send the two dolts to speak with him and the boss' daughter, in this way we will prevent them to get in harm's way or cause trouble with tasks that hardly will gain us any insight even if we assign more skilled people to them.
Makes sense.

Though I suspect that his daughter might know more. She is the closest to Du Yao, and she should know who would benefit from such turn of events. I don't think the dolts are the right tools for the job that requires to see though people's motives. Case in point: Lingshu and Mao Sanjiao, or her own father. The girl is just blind when it comes to the darker side of the world.

Lambchop19 said:
Assuming things about the character of a man we just met? He knew Dao and we know Dao was ALL KINDS of shady. Doesn't have to be the chief that's shady here though. There could be something he'd hold back relating to Xiaofang or the manual that Jing alone could get out of him.
Why Jing alone and not Jing's companions, though, assuming that he wants to keep it a secret from the other constables?

Lambchop19 said:
Plus, this guy knew Dao personally. If anyone has the inside dirt on who might want him dead and why, it's him. Do we really want to trust such an important lead to the B team?
All they need is to relay the information to us. If Zheng is willing to speak, they will do exactly that. And I see no reason why he wouldn't.

Out of all the people, Zheng has the least reson to hide things from us. This is why I assign people who are bad at seeing through the words to hearing him - they won't need to.

If he wants to sacrifice himself fpr the good of the Empire - he can just testify against himself. There is no need to investigate it further, then. Evidently, this is not the case.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Why Jing alone and not Jing's companions, though, assuming that he wants to keep it a secret from the other constables?
Again, Jing knows Shun and this guy has been instructed to cooperate with Jing, not Qilin etc. His constables may not be willing to press him for any details and even if he volunteers them, he could order them not to reveal them to us.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I have a modest proposal to avoid DISCUSS!!! Hell, why we just don't settle down the tasks one character at the time?
There is quite a consensus about Cao'er and Lady Suien assignement to 1, 5 so we can make a progressive list as we reach consensus, like this for example:
A. Xu Jing
B. Chi Qilin

C. Cao'er 1&5
D. Yifang
E. Song Lingshu

F. Lady Suien 1&5
G. Fu Xia

From there who we discuss next?
My suggestion is Yifang & Song Lingshu, do we want to keep them as a pair or split them up with more world savy people?

Nevill

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
I have a modest proposal to avoid DISCUSS!!! Hell, why we just don't settle down the tasks one character at the time?
Just look at the tally in the same post with the update. It helps to get an idea of what people are considered to be capable of what.

Jing - an all rounder. We can assign him anywhere, and he will still be useful.
Qilin - best at rumor gathering, otherwise an all rounder.
Lingshu - talking to the servants, talking to the chief, search for Xiaofang.
Yifang - talking to the servants, talking to the chief, search for Xiaofang.
Fu Xia - predisposed towards talking to the lieutenants; can also talk to Du Yao's daughter and gather rumors.

Kz3r0 said:
My suggestion is Yifang & Song Lingshu, do we want to keep them as a pair or split them up with more world savy people?
I strongly insist on keeping them a) together b) busy and c) out of the most important parts of the investigation.

I want Jing to handle Xiaofang case, and I don't want Lingshu and Yifang anywhere near it. Everything else is fine with me.

Last edited:

Brolios, our team consists of ourselves, 5 girls and one dude and only one of these options involves a chick.
I think we're overlooking the obvious solution here:

A2
B2
C2
D2
E2
G1345678

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Just look at the tally in the same post with the update. It helps to get an idea of what people are considered to be capable of what.

Jing - all rounder. We can assign him anywhere, and he will still be useful.
Qilin - best at rumor gathering, otherwise an all rounder.
Lingshu - talking to the servants, talking to the chief, search for Xiaofang.
Yifang - talking to the servants, talking to the chief, search for Xiaofang.
Fu Xia - talking to the lieutenants, Du Yao's daughter, and rumor gathering.

I strongly insist on keeping them a) together b) busy and c) out of the most important parts of the investigation.

They have good upbringing and are sympathetic ladies, send them to talk to the daughter. Also let them talk to the servants.
I wouldnt send fu xia to the daughter, he thinks himself a womanizer.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
But yes, putting Du Yao's daughter in a sack and getting away should be on the list.

So should wandering the streets shouting out Yunzi's name so that you get two more people to help with the investigation, but you'll notice that I have left it out... for now.

Nevill

Arcane
They have good upbringing and are sympathetic ladies, send them to talk to the daughter.
Which would be fine if we were here to relay our condolences, but we are not.

We need to question her, not just console her. A man with a sense of tact should handle this task - that leaves Jing and Fu Xia. He does have enough sense not to make moves on a mourning woman if it won't help the case any. Zheng attested to the fact that they are professionals.

He does have enough sense not to make moves on a mourning woman if it won't help the case any. Zheng attested to the fact that they are professionals.
Uh, huh. So much sense that he hit on the wives of the legendary Man Tiger Pig right in front of him and got paralyzed for his trouble. So professional that Zheng ordered them to travel in separate groups from then on.

I think it's more likely that:codexisfor:strikes again.

Nevill

Arcane
Uh, huh. So sensible that he hit on the wives over the legendary Man Tiger Pig right in front of him and got paralyzed for his trouble. So professional that Zheng ordered them to travel in separate groups.
You have to admit that the man is a fast learner, though. :P

Really, I would not compare how he behaves himself with his teammates and how he handles the jobs given to him.

And I can't help but think that Zheng's order was directed to us more than it was directed to him. Seriously, paralyzing a co-worker over a word you didn't like? :lol:

I think it's more likely that:codexisfor:strikes again.
It is evident that Fu Xia is Theseus and he is cooperating with Naim Xiaofang to swindle you out of your harem. We got it already.

profreshinal

Arcane
A 3,7
B 2,6
C 1,5
D 6,8
E 6,8
F 1,5
G 4,7

Cao'er and Lady Suien on the CSI parts.
I'm keeping miss Song and yifang together. They're going to the prison, Jiang will just tell his story and they can retell it. I don't see anything more usefull coming from Jiang.
Miss Song, Yifang and Qi'lin in the city as 2 good cops and 1 bad cop.
Qi'lin interrogates the daughter, Jing the staff and Fu Xia the officials.
Fu Xia and Jing going on a search for Xiaofang.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Tally (12:30 GMT 03.04.14):
Code:
N    a    b    c    d    e    f    g
1    0    0    *    0    0    *    0
2    4    5    0    3    5    0    4
3    5    4    1    3    3    0    3
4    3    2    0    1    1    0    10
5    1    0    *    0    0    *    0
6    0    8    0    2    1    0    5
7    7    4    0    6    5    0    2
8    6    3    0    5    6    0    1

kazgar
A7,8
B6,8
C1,5
D3,4
E3,4
F1,5
G2,6

Kipeci
A3,7
B4,6
C1,5
D8
E8
F1,5
G2,3

Grimgravy
A2,4
B3,6
C1,5
D6,8
E2,8
F1,5
G4,7

Nevill, Baltika9
A3,7
B6,7
C1,5
D8
E8
F1,5
G2,4

Azira
A2,8
B2,8
C1,5
D3,7
E3,7
F1,5
G4,6

Lambchop19
A2,8
B2,3
C1,5
D7
E7
F1,5
G4

Kz3r0
A3,7
B6,7
C1,5
D2,8
E2,8
F1,5
G3,4

Akkudakku
A4,8
B6,7
C1,5
D7,2
E7,2
F1,5
G3,4

Zero Credibility
A4,8
B2,3
C1,5
D7
E7
F1,5
G6,7

asxetos
A2,7
B2,8
C1,5
D3,7
E3,8
F1,5
G4,6

GreyViper
A5,8
B3,4
C1,3
D2,7
E2,7
F1,5
G4,6

profreshinal
A3,7
B2,6
C1,5
D6
E2,6
F1,5
G4,8
So if this to be believed, the chief should expect a delegation of 3 people. At least they will keep him entertained.

treave, please check D2/E2 again. We have the following people voting E2:

Kz3r0, Akkudakku, Grimgravy, GreyViper, profreshinal

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
A. Xu Jing 5,8 We do have good perception and a way to get people to talk.
B. Chi Qilin 3,4 Good with servants and streetwise
C. Cao'er 1,3 Should be obvious, she should be able to determine the cause of death.
D. Yifang 2,7 Good sidekick to Song
E. Song Lingshu 2,7 Has a way to get people to like her.
F. Lady Suien 1,5 a CSI
G. Fu Xia 4,6 just brawn's

profreshinal

Arcane
I'm changing my vote. After thinking about it I noticed Song and Du Yao's daugther have a lot in common. Both are single child of the big Papa that then got murdered. Song can convincingly play the empathy card and gain trust. I'm pairing her up with Qi'lin since Qi'lin is the best talker and should be able to exploit this. If there's anything there, this should reveal it, also it makes an otherwise general purpose member usefull.

A Xu Jing 3,7
B Chi Qilin 2,6
C Cao'er 1,5
D Yifang 6
E Song Lingshu 2,6
F Lady Suien 1,5
G Fu Xia 4,8

Nevill

Arcane
Checked all the votes and edited, but they still do not match up with your tally. Will need a third opinion.
Rechecked the tally and fixed the mistakes. We have 14 voters so far, right? Then Jing's and Qilin's total points should reach 28 each, as everyone assigns them for 2 tasks. Yifang's should be 22, and Lingshu's 23. Fu Xia should be at 27, as only Lambchop19 left him with a single task.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I counted 13 people, not including Smashing Axe yet.

Anyway, no rush, the update will only come after the weekend.

LWC1996

Learned
A-7,8 -> might be safer if he handled these constables alone
B-2,3 -> she should be able to handle the servants, also she's smarter than D & E.
C-1,5 -> her specialty
D-2 -> girls talk more easily to one another, these two are the most sincere of the lot especially given the death of the father. They'll put her at ease, easier for her to talk. Very important. Don't send a man yet.
E-2 -> ditto
F-1,5 -> see C.
G-4,6 -> he should be competent at these two tasks, don't want him messing up with the daughter, he's been known to flirt, might give the wrong impression or say the wrong things.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Well, fuck. I hope we get this over quickly.

A. Xu Jing: 7, 8

B. Chi Qilin: 3, 6

C. Cao'er: 1, 5

D. Yifang: 3, 7

E. Song Lingshu: 3, 7

F. Lady Suien: 1, 5

G. Fu Xia: 2, 4

Kz3r0

Arcane
Actual tally with all the assigned tasks:

A. Xu Jing
7 -8

People really want to talk with the constable it seems.

B. Chi Qilin

6 2 - 3
Roaming the mean streets is settled but not who will be interrogated at the mansion.

C. Cao'er 1&5
Unanimous.

D. Yifang
7 3 - 8
Yfang will roam the mean streets searching for the missing eunuch, yeah, right, but there is doubt if she will talk to the constable or the servants.

E. Song Lingshu
7 - 8
The odd couple to roam the mean streets is complete and she will talk to the constable.

F. Lady Suien 1&5
Unanimous.

G. Fu Xia
4 -6

He will talk to the staff att the mansion and will collect rumours.

Reassuming:
Xu Jing, Song Lingshu and Yfang will search for the eunuch after talking with the constable.

Cao'er and Lady Suien will take care of the CSI part.

Chi Qilin and Fu Xia will collect rumours after she interrogated the servants and he interrogated the staff.

In before mega flip-flop.

Kipeci

Arcane
Why are we devoting so very many people to finding Xiaofang? Whether he's being held captive or trying to stay away for the moment, I think we're more likely to spook him/them with so many non-sneaky people tagging along.

Nevill

Arcane
Why are we devoting so very many people to finding Xiaofang? Whether he's being held captive or trying to stay away for the moment, I think we're more likely to spook him/them with so many non-sneaky people tagging along.
Similar reason to why we are taking a small crowd to talk to the chief.

Half of the voters insist that Jing should go investigate Xiaofang (which is logical, as our skillset is a perfect match for the task), and that the righteous girls should go see the chief, as this is the only job they can't botch with their FOR JUSTICE! attitude.
The other half wants the exact opposite - they think Jing should go see Zheng in private for some secret information and that the girls should go busy themselves with something that does not require talking to suspects and witnesses.

In the end that means that we are seeing the chief and searching for Xiaofang together, as ridiculous as it sounds.

Nevill

Arcane
I think this calls for the same approach we used when we determined training packages. There should be plans that people could vote for.

For now these matters are not subject to change anytime soon:
Cao'er and Suen will collect evidence from the crime scene and from the corpse.
Qiling will collect rumors.
Fu Xia will question the lieutenants.

That leaves these questions:
1) Who will talk to Du Yao's daughter? Fu Xia, Qilin and the girls were offered as possibilities here.
2) Who will question the servants? People think that everyone can do it - there are no clear preferences here.
3) Who will lead the search for Xiaofang? So far we have Jing or the girls as candidates. The girls will need someone else as a guide, though - letting them wander the city on their own is stupidly irresponsible.
4) Who will talk to the chief? Either Jing sees him in private, or anyone else can do it and free our valuable time.

I believe the list of 4 questions is far more manageable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom