Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We have a tie between E3 and E7. Resolving it would have been nice. A vote for either will do.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
This vote isn't over yet? You guys could be in congress with all of your Discuss! and wishy-washy flip flopping madness. I don't care if the Balticans or the Nevillcrats are in charge, I just want action!

Jester

Arbiter
Nevill is just counting on one of the weaker minds to flop.
hqdefault.jpg
Rather:

":salute: Those are not votes you are looking for. Flop to tie option."
Specially for this thread hand motion included.

Kipeci

Arcane
Does it matter? Treave won't be able to update for a while anyway, we might as well let the butthurt flow in the time being.

Absinthe

Arcane
Tigranes, vote E3. Nevill didn't count profreshinal's tiebreaker flop (from D6/E6 to D3/E3) or my votes (D3/E3) on the last page. Your E7 vote will only increase the odds of another tie.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
E3 if I'm not already voting for it or it generates a tie, in which case I revoke my E3 vote.

It's kind of funny, the more discuss there is the less inclined I am to read any arguments and just vote my own preferences. I read treave's posts and a handful of other posters and the rest I just skim.

Absinthe

Arcane
I believe treave already confirmed that Zhang Jue's orthodoxy reputation has been dropping even more because of his disciple's antics.

Nevill is just counting on one of the weaker minds to flop.

Kipeci, Zero Credibility, LWC1996, Esquilax, Elfberserker, ScubaV, you guys have only one task for both Yifang and Song. Assigning only one task for both of them would require 80% of the voters which at the moment is 17 guys. You are not going to get so many so please solve this tie?
Well, can you tell me tell me what to vote for because I'm not going to wade through the discuss to find out? What's the tie at the moment and how can we resolve it? I thought we would already have an update by now.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, I should be able to manage an update in the next few hours or so, I think. Closing the votes.

Here's the final assignments based on the tally:

Xu Jing - 7,8
Qilin - 2,6
Cao'er - 1,5
Yifang - 3,7
Lingshu - 2,3
Suien - 1,5
Fu Xia - 3,4

Nevill

Arcane
At least we get to continue turning Yifang's head, so even if we don't manage to find Xiaofang, it is not a complete loss. :P

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Duck Testimony

Xinchun Restaurant is as noisy as usual, the damages of last night’s brawl already repaired; though there was not really much to repair in the first place, considering the condition of the furniture – it looked like they had been pieced and hammered back together more times than you would care to count. Though you thought that the constables would have preferred a quieter place to discuss their findings, Fu Xia had claimed that public places attracted less attention, and that it was constable tradition to deliberate the case over a good meal. Lady Suien had not raised any objections, and so you followed their lead back to the restaurant.

As usual, Qilin made a quick order for duck.

While waiting for the food to arrive, everyone began sharing what they have found, working their way down the list of tasks in a systematic manner.

Cao’er and Lady Suien sit in silence for many minutes before the latter finally offers any words. “We investigated the body,” she says quietly. “There were just a few wounds, but I think the physician would be better suited to talking about that.”

“Ah… yes…” Cao’er looks at you. “Jing, listen carefully…”

“What about the rest of us?” jokes Fu Xia. He is swiftly cowed into silence by a combined glare from Cao’er and Lady Suien.

Cao’er begins her report, detailing the injuries inflicted upon Du Yao by his murderer.

“…two small contusions along the right arm.”

“Probably self-defense from blocking an attack. Appears to have been a kick,” comments Lady Suien.

“…a single stab wound just below the left collarbone. Made by a flat blade of twelve inches in length and two inches in width... but not the killing blow.”

“It matches that of the standard short sword issued to the constables.”

“…three very small puncture marks in the side of the neck… similar to a needle wound…” continues Cao’er.

“I would definitely have missed that,” Lady Suien frowns.

“He could have been undergoing acupuncture,” offers Fu Xia excitedly. “Perhaps he was stressed out over something important!”

He is ignored by the two ladies, leaving him looking like a fool. “I cannot be sure right now, but… poison is my guess…”

“Through the needles?” you ask.

“Possibly,” says Cao’er. “… from the angle and depth of penetration, they were thrown… and were not aimed for any pressure points… the time of death was in the middle of the hai hour, and all the injuries were made around the same time.”

“I see,” you nod. “If it were not poisoned, it would be rather useless as a weapon.”

“Without any other lethal injuries on his body, I think poison is the best explanation we have,” concludes Lady Suien.

“Miss Song made a new friend quickly,” grins Qilin.

“You exaggerate!” says Lingshu, smiling, “Miss Du was easy to talk to. She was still distraught over her father’s death, but I managed to cheer her up.”

“We asked her to write down her testimony,” Qilin adds, handing over a few sheets of paper to you. “I thought it would be wiser this way, just in case she forgets something.”

Taking the paper, you scan your eye past the lines of neat, feminine writing. It is marked with the Du family seal, establishing its authenticity. You begin to read the testimony of Du’s daughter.

“I had brought tea over to my father’s study in the inner yard, near the end of the xu hour. At that time, he was conversing with a man called Jiang Zheng. I did not plan to eavesdrop, but I overheard them discussing the Jinkong Sect and some manual. They paused their discussion when I knocked. When I entered the room, everything was normal. I paid my greetings and left. Some time after the middle of the hai hour, I returned to the study to remind my father to rest since he had not yet retired to his chambers. I found Jiang Zheng holding a bloody sword, standing over my father’s corpse. There was no one else in the room. When I screamed, the guards came to help, and arrested the murderer. Thus are the facts as I have seen them, with the heavens as my witness.”

“Does she know anything of her father’s business dealings, or who could have wanted him dead?” you ask.

Qilin shakes her head. “She is not too involved with his work. She did say, however, that whoever killed Du Yao did not have the city’s best interests at heart, and I would concur. He was protected from assassination mainly by his ability to keep the city thriving, not by the mediocre guards around his house.”

“The servants did not see anything out of the extraordinary,” says Lingshu and Yifang. “They work mainly in the inner yard, where Du Yao’s henchmen are not allowed, and did not spot any suspicious people lurking around besides Jiang Zheng.”

“Are you sure?” asks Fu Xia, who had been questioning the servants with them. The two girls nod, and he grins. “Aha! Now is the time for me to show my prowess! Listen and be amazed; I was told by one of the servants that there was a disciple of the Jinkong Sect at the mansion during the hai hour. From her description, he looked like that guy… uh… at the restaurant. Xi…?”

“Xi Mukang,” says Lady Suien impatiently.

“That’s right, him!”

“But I knocked him out,” says Lingshu. Fu Xia’s eyes widen at her statement, apparently impressed..

“The fight ended and we started eating at the end of the xu hour, leaving before the middle of the hai hour. Xi Mukang was still around at the time,” you say.

Fu Xia scratches his head, puzzled. “Well, could be someone who looks like him, but I’m certain that the servant was certain that the man was wearing the Jinkong uniform. They have visited Du Yao a few times before this. She saw him running across the courtyard during the hai hour and leapt over a wall.” The young constable sighs, leaning back. “I don’t think she was lying to me… though it was dark…” He seems to be getting despondent, unsure of his information.

Letting out an even bigger sigh, Fu Xia tries to cheer up, and says, “Anyway, I also questioned his lieutenants and the guards of the mansion. They said they knew nothing, and doubted this was over business. They seem rather convinced Chief Jiang did it.” Shaking his head solemnly, he continues, “I don’t trust them, though. Let’s look closer. Something’s fishy there… my detective instinct is tingling.”

“Our investigation in the grounds matches the scenario of a person fleeing from Du Yao’s study and escaping over the wall,” says Lady Suien. “Judging from the footprints, the person would have possessed above average skill at qinggong, and he was also injured. With my tools I have determined that there was a struggle with Du Yao, and this person was slightly injured.”

“…we didn’t find anything else… there were no needles either,” adds Cao’er, slightly dejectedly. “…was hoping to find some…”

“There are a few rumours flying around. Some say Du Yao was in cahoots with some of the Grand Eunuchs to overthrow the Emperor, others say he was supporting the Emperor against those same eunuchs. Then there are those who say he was killed for, depending on who you ask, the Xuanming Jiuyin Holy Art, the Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill, and the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill, and the named culprits range from the Jinkong Sect to the Man Tiger Pig. None of the people I asked think it has anything to do with the city’s business,” reports Qilin. Then, she shrugs. “I don’t think any of these rumours are particularly useful, there is far, far too much noise to sift through to get to the truth. We won’t manage it in time. Of course, having these much useless rumours floating around is rather abnormal… but I can’t make any sense of it at the moment. Sorry.”

Next, you begin detailing your search for the eunuch together with Yifang. It had seemed to be panning out as a fruitless search, but a random little act of kindness by Yifang towards an old homeless man had given you some interesting information. You think you would never have helped the man; for one, there was quite a lot of them in the city, and you did not think helping a single man would be of any use. Apparently, Yifang thought differently, and her way of thinking had given you a small lead… a tiny fragment of luck.

After the middle of the hai hour, the homeless man had seen someone matching Xiaofang’s description arguing, and then fighting with a masked man in black, though his failing ears were not good enough to hear their words clearly. The unknown man had won, leaving behind Xiaofang on the ground. The homeless man was too afraid to venture out and hid, trying to sleep, but shortly after the night watch rang out the end of the hai hour and the beginning of the zi hour, he finally gathered enough courage to creep out from his shack of rags. By that time, Xiaofang’s body was no longer there.

“He could be dead,” says Fu Xia quietly, looking down.

“Or he survived and either crawled away or was picked up by someone else. Whatever it is, we know that he was still in the city late last night,” says Lady Suien. “If we follow up on the trail tonight, we might be able to get something useful.”

The last piece of information comes from Chief Jiang himself; you had met with him alone, and he seemed to have approve of your actions. He told his story without prompting, recognizing the gravity of the situation.

“I was discussing the theft of the manual with Du Yao from the end of the xu hour till sometime into the hai hour. I had quietly asked Xiaofang to come meet me at the entrance of the mansion around the start of the hai hour so that I could give him his next orders, but when I did not see him there, I felt that something was wrong. I snuck back into the mansion and went back to the study close to the middle of the hai hour. The study was dark, but I could sense a presence within… and I heard something like a small tussle going on. The moment I entered the room, I heard Du Yao scream out and fall. There was a man clothed in black there. I struck out at the man with my short sword and drew blood, but he leapt out of the window and escaped. Shortly after, Du Yao’s daughter arrived and screamed for the guards. I attempted to fight my way out. As you can see, I did not succeed.”

Having listened to Jiang Zheng quietly, you ask, “What did Du Yao say about the manual?”

“I have reason to believe he is not involved. He seemed to have discovered something during our talk, but he did not talk about it. Instead, he told me to return the next day, once he had gathered his thoughts. If you know Du Yao, you will know that there are some things that you cannot push.”

“And what about the Jinkong Sect?”

“It is up in the air. Certainly, Du Yao did not confirm whether they were the culprits… it is still possible.”

“Hm, I suppose that has nothing to do with the orders you were to give Xiaofang?”

Jiang Zheng laughs suddenly, his hands slapping the metal bars. “Good question. Yes, I suspected that Du Yao, being the man he is, would be neck deep in matters that may lead to the eunuchs either directly or indirectly. After talking to him, I was going to discuss it with Xiaofang as a matter of precaution. Could you ask him to meet with me later?”

“Well, I would have brought him, but… Xiaofang is missing.”

This elicits a huge scowl from Jiang. “That… is not good.” When he doesn’t seem to be explaining further, you prod him for one. Jiang Zheng sighs. “Either he has turned on us and is actually working for one of the Grand Eunuchs that do not like the Imperial Constabulary, or he has run afoul of a person who knows of his role with the eunuch department. I must say, even though he is my subordinate, I am perfectly willing to accept either explanation.”

“You do not trust a eunuch?”

“Trust no one,” he says grimly.

You leave the last parts of your conversation out at Jiang Zheng’s request, only describing his testimony to the others.

“Perhaps I should investigate the Jinkong Sect,” offers Fu Xia. “I am familiar with talking to pugilists, and I think after what we have found, we cannot rule out their involvement.”

“I would rather focus our efforts here,” says Lady Suien. “Xiaofang is either in trouble, or involved with the murder.”

“Or both,” says Lingshu.

“…I think I can confirm the cause of death if you allow me to open up the body with Qilin’s help…” mutters Cao’er.

“Would his daughter be okay with it, though?” points out Qilin.

Lingshu frowns for a second and then nods. “I might just be able to get Miss Du to agree to that. Let me talk to her.”

Yifang looks at the other girls, a mixed expression on her face. It seems she is feeling a bit left out. You pat her on the head suddenly, causing her to give an alarmed squeak and hunch down, away from the physical touch.

You laugh. “Don’t worry, you did well. If you did not help that man, we wouldn’t have heard of what happened to Xiaofang.”

She flushes slightly, and says, “Really? It was something anyone would have done, giving him food and water.”

“Not when those were the last of our travel supplies,” you reply.

It seems that the focus of the investigation tomorrow would be on following up the leads you have found today. Hopefully Cao’er’s inspection will enlighten you more about Du Yao’s death and open up new avenues of inquiry.

A. You agree with Fu Xia’s suggestion to investigate the Jinkong Sect, and ask him to travel out to their location.

B. You think the investigation would be better served by focusing it on the city, and tell Fu Xia that he should stay put and help out here.

Finally, the duck arrives.

The aroma is tantalizingly fragrant, and the glistening, crispy skin looks awfully appetizing. The waiter does not set it down on your table, however, holding the dish in his hand with an apologetic look on his face. “What’s wrong?” you ask.

He bows and says, “Valued customer, you see… someone else is insisting that they get this last duck. They’re willing to pay more for it.”

“Really?” You raise an eyebrow.

Qilin hisses at you, “No. No negotiations.”

“Waiter, we will pay you at least fifty percent more for that duck. It is the last one this week, isn’t it?” The mysterious customer appears, talking in an affected baritone and looking straight at you. “I must have it. I’m sure you will understand, won’t you, you… you… you…”

You stare at the customer, and the customer stares back.

“…you …you …you…” continues the stunned person with the big turban wrapped around the head and what appears to be a moustache and beard stuck on to the face. You touch the top of your lip, pointing at it repeatedly. “It’s peeling off.”

Yunzi claps her hand to the fake beard and says, “No, it’s not!” while still using that false, forced baritone that she thinks is going to fool you. “Anyway, first things first! That duck is mine! I’m paying for it!”

“You haven’t paid for anything yet,” snarls Qilin. “We ordered it first!”

“Well, as long as it’s not on the table yet, it’s not yours,” retorts Yunzi. “I’ve travelled so far for this... I will not let you have it.”

“Maybe we could share?” you say.

The resulting “No!” from both girls is loud enough to hush the entire restaurant, all three floors of it.

A. She’s welcome to the duck if she wants it. You give Yunzi the duck. Qilin will be unhappy, but it is better than causing a scene.

B. You tell Yunzi that in addition to what she’s paying the restaurant for the duck, she has to pay you on top of it. The extra money might make Qilin feel better.

C. There’s only one way to resolve this: you fight for the duck.

D. You reveal that you have been marked by the Flame in order to get her to lay off the duck.

Current tally:

Baltika9 - AC
Nevill - C
Smashing Axe - BC
Kz340 - BD>C
Zero Credibility - BC
asxetos - AC
Akkudakku - BC
Kipeci - AC
Jester - BC
profreshinal - AC
Tribute - BC
Rex Feral - BC
Kashmir Slippers - BC
Elfberserker - BC
Lambchop19 - BC>A
Absinthe - BA
XenomorphII - BD
Tigranes - BA
GreyViper - BC
Bloodshifter - BC
Grimgravy - BB>A
ScubaV - BC
Esquilax - BC
TOME - BC

Jinkong:
A - 4
B - 19

Duck:
A - 2
B - 1
C - 19
D - 2

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Turban. Oh Ean, this is rich. :lol:
AC, this rematch has been too long in the coming.

Nevill

Arcane
SQUEEEE!!! YUNZIIIIIIII!!!!!
:love::love::love:

I mean... :obviously: Good job, Codex. Our extended stay in Youxia City have paid off already. We must incorporate the newfound recruits into our task force and proceed with the investigation, so it would be best to... to assign Fu Xia to...

YUNZIIIIIIII!!!!11!11! :retarded:

I am sorry, I'll leave the reasoning to others for the time being.

2C.

Baltika9

Arcane
My thoughts exactly, Nevill.

On a side note, I now understand why the Constables aren't very liked. Instead of doing their jobs, thy prefer to waste the Treasury's money on expensive dinners.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom