Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Esquilax

Arcane
True. But I think you underestimate the pressure Zhang can put on us, too. He is more strong-willed than us, and he gives zero fucks as to what is considered moral. If anything, he might consider it our weakness, and decide to purge it. I fully expect him trying to mold us into the form that resembles himself, and we are only 15 years old.

This is a fair point, but keep in mind that Xu Jing was raised since childhood to be a perfect killer in his duties to the Prince:

As he grows wilder, you grow calmer.

After all, that is the state of mind they taught you to hold when you need to kill.

You remember being instructed to memorize the points of least resistance where you can stab a man. You remember being forced to practice on bound prisoners. Again, and again, and again, until the flow of blood over your hands becomes natural and you could do it without hesitation. Well, you do not dwell on that much nowadays - it is an unneeded memory. The fear of killing has already been removed from your spirit.

However, you're absolutely right that the hellish training that the Southern Maniac has prepared for us is probably going to be soul-scarring in some way. The consequences of a lot of unorthodox techniques is insanity (treave mentioned something like this earlier) - Master Zhang and our mysterious masked woman are great indicators of that.

As for the choice itself, A1 would obviously lead to the Emei nuns and Master Yao dying. treave, should we pick A1, how would Jing escape? Jumping out of the window? Zhang will probably start looking to carve us into little pieces if we manage to slip from his grasp like that. I think that it's doable: the nuns are old and might be familiar with techniques that use the Yuchang Sword, which would buy us some time, but there's no question that Zhang would tear everybody in that room a new asshole eventually.

Then he'd start looking for us right after, and he won't be happy. He'd scour the ends of the Earth to kill us. That being said, should we evade him successfully, we might have an in with the Wudang if we can find them before Zhang finds us - yes, I believe our circumstances and situation with the Southern Maniac and our qi are so extreme that they would at least be interested in talking to us, reputation aside. We're still a kid, these guys could see it as an opportunity to turn us from our wayward path.

B1 might work, but escaping from Zhang would be far tougher without the nuns having the Yuchang Sword in their possession to tip the odds in their favour a bit. The upside here is that since we didn't give them the blade, if Zhang does find us again, he'll take us in as his apprentice instead of giving us a swift death on the spot. Yao is toast in this scenario though, so with no one around to cure the poison, we lose our arm. Oh, and since Cao'er is with us in this scenario, he might also take her in as an apprentice if he doesn't kill her, so good luck protecting her.

Oh, and I'm not even entertaining the idea of joining the fray here. A2 is obviously a DEAD END.

Then there's C. We've got the Speech skills and CHA to negotiate the matter and act as an arbiter in this situation. While I feel bad that we would have to abandon Cao'er, we don't exactly have much choice here either. The upside is that we get to go on our terms: this means, Yao cures our poison, we keep the blade, and we undergo a brutal apprenticeship under the most insane badass in all of China, where we will attempt to beat the record for longest-living apprentice. It also keeps those who are close to us alive.

A1

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're very close to the door, so Yao will probably push Cao'er towards you and begin buying you time in either of the 1s. You can have the nuns come over to take the sword from you.

Baltika9

Arcane
Serious question, how do you figure the Wudang will take us in if we run to them in A1? What reasons would they have, they seem a rather neutral and balanced bunch and us, well, not really.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Our condition is unique. The fact that the Southern Maniac himself seeks us out for this very reason might pique their interest. This is a matter of a personal pride to them, to find a cure for a condition in the field they specialize in.

And we are not so far gone that they would refuse us outright... probably.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's just the thing, though, they sound like a pretty neutral and ascetic bunch, and balance implies they don't care much for pride.

Although, with 5 speech points Jing will be able to negotiate something, I'm sure. A1 sounds like the best alternative and yet it still places Yao in mortal danger. I don't like that one bit. And I really want to learn from Zhang, I think you guys are underestimating Jing's backbone.

Esquilax

Arcane
Serious question, how do you figure the Wudang will take us in if we run o them in A1? What reasons would they have, they seem a rather neutral and balanced bunch and us, well, not really.

A couple of reasons. The Southern Maniac seems to know a shitload about how to manipulate qi and utilize it for martial arts - which just so happens to be the Wudang sect's specialty. In fact, I would hazard to guess that the Wudang and Master Zhang have a history together and would not at all be surprised if he was at one point a student of theirs. Of course this is speculation, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

Also, Xu Jing is just a fucking kid. He fell in with a bad crowd, made some mistakes, and now he has an extremely dangerous person after him who is notorious among orthodox sects - and they're just going to leave us to our fate? Seems like a really shitty thing to do, since it'd be tantamount to condemning Jing and Cao'er to death. Unorthodox or not, letting two kids die like that is fucked up. Sure, they might be neutral, philosophical types, but even they would have to intervene when the Southern Maniac is on the loose.

Then of course, is the matter of our qi, that Nevill touched upon. It intrigued Master Zhang, and I think that it will intrigue the Wudang as well just from an academic standpoint.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Go with the maniac. Learn how to survive and protect yourself from the likes of the Emei. Then once the apprenticeship is done, go seek information. Being a Southern Maniac does not mean all avenues are closed. Zhang's a fellow of the Luoying manor. That's something special. The beggars might also be quite willing to speak with us.

Yes, it will be dangerous. So will having Zhang hunt for us be. I'd rather we try and turn this to our advantage instead of kill off people who actually care for us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The major orthodox sects have a general reputation for being compassionate do-gooders, which is why they are respected. (There are exceptions, of course) Even the strict monks at Shaolin can be nicer than you think. Their members are expected to live up to their sect's principles at all times so as not to shame the sect's name. Sometimes they'll help even if they know it will harm them because they are taught not to turn away from those in need.

Aka it shouldn't be a problem if you cast away your pride and plead for shelter, though don't expect excellent VIP treatment off the bat. You'll still need to earn their trust.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We will endure, and in enduring grow strong.
dakkon_1.jpg

:hmmm:
We have a legendary sword, we're Chinese so we already have yellowish skin and can grow a Fu Manchu. Zhang may teach us some philosophy, so platitudes are a possibility. I guess all we need to do is make our ears pointy.

Kayerts

Arcane
We have a legendary sword, we're Chinese so we already have yellowish skin and can grow a Fu Manchu. Zhang may teach us some philosophy, so platitudes are a possibility. I guess all we need to do is make our ears pointy.

Untrue. We also have to cause the deaths of everyone close to us. On that note, C.

LWC1996

Learned
C

A1 – if the nuns accept I can see us making it out. What happens next we don’t know, but our master hasn’t lived this long without learning some tricks, so we might be a bit optimistic here? Perhaps with the added help from the nuns he might be able to force Zhang to retreat somehow. But I doubt it. The question is, what happens to us afterwards. Luoying may be safe but hiding out in the manor forever doesn’t get us anywhere.

A2 – I think fighting is no-go here, no matter A or B

B1 – Not good. If we run like this, I’m sure the nuns will come after us, and Master Yao won’t be able to stop them. Not confident we can escape the nuns with Cao’er in tow. Worst case scenario we might get separated, then I don’t even want to think what might happen next.

B2 – see above

C – Nobody gets hurt or dies here. And to be very honest, I don't want Yao and Cao'er to die. Sure he's a crusty old goat who used poison to keep us in servitude, but all in all, he's pretty much let you do your thing AND, he has been a sort of father/mentor figure to you - eccentric and unconventional but he does care in his own way.

And I think 'tis past time that Jing actually be serious and knuckle down to serious training. We don't have a choice for a guru here. But it would make us toughen up and at least have martial arts training.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I wouldn't shed a tear if the nuns died. They said we stole their sword. It was taken 100 years ago. They should come with an offer to buy it or at least give a reward for recovering their precious sect treasure. Self entitled old bitties.

ScubaV

Prophet
I, too, would rather hang out with Yao and Cao'er for a bit longer, but all things considered I like C the best.

Codex, it is time for Jing's montage scene.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm curious what the conversation between Zhang Jue and Yao was like before we came in, treave. Judging from the tea and Zhang's amusement, and that Jing wasn't expected for a while, they definitely traded words and tea.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C - this guy is way too bad ass for us to turn him down. He'll make us 10x stronger...or kill us.

Baltika9

Arcane
Without our help, Cao'er's test goes wrong and bad stuff happens. Someone suggested earlier that Yao wants to make her kill in a controlled enviroment, I'm kinda afraid she wil incorporate Gallardo, go crazy, kill Yao, (possibly) go on a killing rampage, and then go after Jing as somesort of psycho-stalker, half-homicidal half-lovingly, who can be only healed by the Power of Love...

... which we won't in supply have after years of Training From Hell by Zhang.
After Zhang unlocks the power of Maximum FUCK! in us, it will be a "two psychos in love" scenario, "Why did you leave me, brother? Can't you see that I love you? I want a piece of you inside me, always!" Naturally, this will complicate our harem plans, what with the "Uhihihihi," but hey, no one said pimpin' be easy.
:troll:
- Emei becomes our enemies (unless Zhang gives them the sword) once we go away with the sword (and Zhang possibily kills them if they push it).
Let them send their nuns after us, then I'd love to see how that turns out for them with Zhang on our side.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After Zhang unlocks the power of Maximum FUCK! in us, it will be a "two psychos in love" scenario. Naturally, this will complicate our harem plans, what with the "Uhihihihi," but hey, no one said pimpin' be easy.
The image of Jing and Cao'er "Uhihihi"-ing while glaring creepily at each other is too much for me to handle. Where is the brain bleach when you need one?

Esquilax

Arcane
What's interesting here is that had we declined Lady Ji's invitation into the Manor, we would have had enough time to get to Master Yao before the Southern Maniac arrived. As for the sequence of events that transpired before this, I'm not quite sure. I don't know how the nuns managed to figure it all out.

Thinking about reacting, I wonder how strong is the nuns' crew. Considering how everyone else was scared of Zhang, yet they do not retreat, even through there's a very real possibility they will have to fight Zhang AND Yao, makes me think that they came ready enough to fight Yao, Jing and Cao'er at the very least, perhaps even Zhang, it is a sect treasure after all. To be fair, both Yao and Zhang don't seem to give much of a shit to them, but still...

I almost flipped from C because it seemed like treave trickery, but it has big consequences too:

- Emei becomes our enemies (unless Zhang gives them the sword) once we go away with the sword (and Zhang possibily kills them if they push it).

They didn't expect Zhang, and they are scared shitless of him, evidenced by them trying to stand as far away as fucking possible from him:

Then, there are a group of wrinkled, stern looking old nuns standing in the corner of the room furthest away from the Southern Maniac.

The only chance this group has to competently force Zhang into a retreat - no fucking way they kill him - is if the nuns and Yao work together. Given the mistrust between them, the only hope for that is if we hand them the sword and GTFO immediately. And even then, I think Yao is the first person Zhang would kill in A1. Maybe a single nun would survive the onslaught, but that's it.

I also can't see any configuration here that would result in Master Yao and Master Zhang working together. They are completely at cross-purposes and Zhang is impossible to negotiate with. Even Lady Ji, a character who probably has CHA 10 based on her beauty and her almost supernatural magnetism, was only able to stop him for a little while.

Oh, and if we vote C, the nuns are the least of our worries. If they want to take the sword from the Southern Maniac, they had better bring the entire fucking nunnery with them. What are they going to do? Take it from him?

- Without our help, Cao'er's test goes wrong and bad stuff happens. Someone suggested earlier that Yao wants to make her kill in a controlled enviroment, I'm kinda afraid she wil incorporate Gallardo, go crazy, kill Yao, (possibly) go on a killing rampage, and then go after Jing as somesort of psycho-stalker, half-homicidal half-lovingly, who can be only healed by the Power of Love...

... which we won't in supply have after years of Training From Hell by Zhang.

This could happen. We had made a promise to Cao'er at Songfeng that so long as we were around, she'd never have to worry about killing anybody. However, if you're worried about keeping her alive, C is probably still the safest bet: A1 would allow us to leave, hopefully in search of the Wudang, but we'd constantly be looking over our shoulder until we find a safe haven. Listen, and understand; that Southern Maniac is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Being able to watch Cao'er ourselves with A1 would allow us to look after her until we find a better place, such as Wudang Mountain. In that sense, in the long term should we find sanctuary somewhere, A1 is the best bet. The problem is, if I'm Zhang, that's the first place that I would expect Jing to go. He knows that we can't hide out at Luoying Manor because he's a fellow there too, so logically, he'd figure that we'd look somewhere else for backup. Given our qi issues, Wudang Mountain is a safe bet. Throwing him off our scent would be hard, to say the least.

Also, Wang Zhengchong, the leader of the Wudang, is the undisputed champion of the pugilistic world, so he's actually even more of a badass than Zhang is:

The five martial artists currently considered the greatest in the age are selected through a tournament on the summit of Mount Hua. The Huashan Sword Summit is usually conducted every twenty five years. All orthodox and unorthodox pugilists are allowed to apply. The martial artist designated 'Central' is considered the strongest pugilist.

The current five are:

Eastern Beggar: Qi Liuwu. (Beggar's Sect Head)

Western Snake: Tulu Huodu (Wudu Cult Leader)

Southern Maniac: Zhang Jue (Unaffiliated)

Northern Monk: Abbot Fangzhang (Shaolin Head Abbot)

Central Tao: Wang Zhengchong (Wudang Grand Taoist)

Baltika9

Arcane
I wonder, is Wang maybe Zhang's former master? With his aptitude with qi, I think it's entirely possible that Zhang may have studied under the Central Tao at one point or another.
They didn't expect Zhang, and they are scared shitless of him, evidenced by them trying to stand as far away as fucking possible from him:
And his completely flippant attitude, his "phallic object" comment and their stuttering silence shows who the top dog here is. The only way they may drive him off without a massive bloodbath is if Yao poisoned Zhang's tea, but then again I think the Maniac wouldn't be tricked by something like that.

I'm honestly kind of pumped for C, I want to see what this guy can do.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm honestly kind of pumped for C, I want to see what this guy can do.
Me too. The chance to learn from lunatics like Zhang - and Yao for that matter - was the reason I chose to vote for the unorthodox path in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom