Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Hm, I just realized we have a pretty good chance of swaying Bai Jiutian to our side right now. Nie Wuxing finally has his male heir, Zhang Manxing is usurping his position as the favored disciple, and the Zhang family dislikes him. This means Bai Jiutian's only role left is to be a pawn in their games with no hope of real advancement. If he helps us expose the Zhang family's dirty dealings and Huashan's involvement, on the other hand, he would be the prime candidate to lead Huashan after the scandal while assisting Song Lingshu would also give her reputation the sort of boost that would delegitimize Mao Sanjiao's control of Qingcheng which was becoming a threat to Huashan. On the other hand if he doesn't help us, they're going to slip the chain around him and make sure he just does what he's told.

He has some strong incentives lined up right now to quietly assist us from the shadows.
You know, with the way things are going (the Douchebag Generation rooting themselves in up top, sponsoring hacks like Manxing as the greatest of their sects, and basically turning the martial arts world into a world of politics, etc...), maybe we can gather the best and brightest of the current generation who actually give a shit about martial arts to push back against the massive :decline: that is taking place.
LORD ZHANG JUE will be the undisputed first Glorious Leader of the coalition, of course.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, does Jing refer to Lord Zhang as his sifu or something else?
Also, now that we have one of our Ameshas travelling with us, can she tell us more about their 'special domain powers?'

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
kwame.jpg

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did Yunzi and Armaiti ever fought against each other? Who is the stronger fighter out of the two?

In terms of raw stats, Armaiti looks better, but Yunzi got trained by all of the Ameshas.

Also, do we have an estimation of Yunzi's/BJ's AGI stat? I find it surprising BJ caught us off-guard with his sword qi move.

Nevill

Arcane
treave, how much Bai Jiutian knows about Madam Nie's familial circumstances? Does he know we are his shimu's son-in-law? If not, it would be nice to inform him one day just to see him squirm.

Not that these people place too much importance on relationships between siblings, though, judging by what they say about manlou and his brother.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, you don't know how much he knows, of course.

As for the previous question, Armaiti is still stronger than Yunzi for now.

Esquilax

Arcane
For some reason, I marked my vote down for A despite the fact that F is about a million times more awesome. What was I thinking? Flopping to F. I also flopped my original post.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Black and White

The pavilion is perched on an outcropping that overlooks the deep ravine of Huangpu Gorge. There is an old hut nearby, barely more than four walls and a roof. Leaving the forest trail, you see Bai Jiutian waiting at the pavilion, his hands clasped behind his back. He seems to have been waiting for a while. Just as you reach the pavilion, he speaks to you without turning around. “You are late. The tea is turning cold.”

“I did some sight-seeing on my way here. It’s not everyday you get to enjoy the sights of Huashan,” you say unapologetically.

“Why, did you think I was going to ambush you with some goons in the bushes, and went around hunting for them? You wound my pride.”

“Not my fault it is so big and easy to wound.” You do not deny his accusation, however.

Bai makes a strangled grunt and turns around, staring at you. “Your tongue, Xu Jing… one day I will cut it out.”

“Oh, get in line,” you laugh, and take your seat without being invited. It looks like he has prepared tea, as he said. There is an empty grid carved into the table – it is a weiqi board. Two clay bowls, one filled with black pieces and the other with white, are placed next to the grid.

Bai Jiutian sits down opposite you. Noticing your glance at the weiqi grid, he asks, “Do you play?”

“Not a lot. You seem to be seriously following the gentlemanly rules of etiquette in entertaining a visitor.”

“Just because you have spent your life hanging about hoodlums and uncivilized ruffians does not mean that I should not extend a minimal amount of courtesy to you,” he says, showcasing just how much more refined he is compared to you.

“Well, I appreciate it.” You pick up a black piece. “I’m not very good at it, so I’ll let you have the white.”

Bai Jiutian smiles thinly.

You move first, placing your piece on the lines. “You said that you had some questions to ask me. Go ahead.”

“Why did you sneak into Huashan?”

“Because I missed you, Tian’er,” you say cheekily. Bai’s next move involves a loud clack as he slams the piece down on the table. He did not like that answer. “Well,” you say, “I came to ask you some questions, of course. But I can wait until you finish interrogating me. What’s next?”

Still frowning, he moves on to his next question. “What are you planning? Are you also looking for the three legendary manuals?”

“Isn’t everyone?” you laugh.

“How did you defeat Zhang Manxing’s bodyguards?”

“I didn’t defeat them. They were so weak that fighting me was a self-defeating act.”

“Wh-“

“Hey, it’s my turn. I came here because I wanted to ask you some things too,” you interrupt.

Frowning, Bai nods and acquiesces to you. “That’s fair enough.” He looks down at the board and smiles. The bastard seems to have prepared a three-pronged strategy to surround your pieces.

You ignore his brief moment of triumph – he hasn’t won yet – and ask, “What is your shimu’s relation with the Zhang clan? Are they also searching for the manual?”

“You seem to have heard a lot. I cannot tell you how Madam Nie is connected with them. If you want to know, ask her yourself. As for the manual… perhaps?”

“So, I suppose you know that they already possess the manual for the Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill, then?”

At this, his face visibly pales, and he loses control for just a second. “They do? How do you know that?”

“Maybe Madam Nie would know, or perhaps you can ask Zhang Manlou yourself. They are really close with Huashan, aren’t they?”

The amount of time that it takes for him to reply tells you that this turn of events was certainly unexpected to him. Finally, he says, “Why are you telling me this? I… I cannot believe you.”

“You sent me Zhang Manxing as a present after all. Clearly you do not care for him or the wishes of the Zhang family. If it makes you feel better to believe that this is my way of making up for failing to kill him… well, go ahead!”

“Just because I think he is an interfering little git doesn’t mean that I am so foolish as to stand against the family of the Chief Secretary. Master Nie would not approve.”

“If you cared for Nie Wuxing’s approval, why did you ask to meet me in private then, away from Huashan? You could just have easily shouted out for help last night.”

“I could, and if you had not agreed to meet me here I would have. I needed to confirm one matter in private though, something that my shifu or shimu must not find out.” The encirclement of your black pieces by his white is solidifying by the moment, as Bai Jiutian deftly plays out his strategy.

“I can understand not letting Master Nie know, but even the Madam? Oh, is little Tian’er growing up and becoming rebellious?”

“Cease your mockery! If you think I’m going to spill everything to you so easily, you are mistaken, Xu Jing.”

“You’re right. So, what will your next move be?” You lift your fingers away from the board, having laid down a single black piece that throws all of his carefully arranged strategy into disarray.

“This… what? When did you…?” Bai Jiutian is visibly taken aback, unable to imagine a scenario where he would have lost to you in a thinking gentleman’s game. Of course, you had played against Shun as well as Imperial weiqi masters back in your childhood, and though Bai Jiutian was a hard opponent, he was not on the level of old farts who lived and breathed the art. Even so, you weren’t actually able to find a way to defeat him on the board – your move would likely have the game play out into a draw. You get the feeling that he would consider it as a loss, though.

“I don’t have to be your enemy,” you say. “You are already making plans to separate yourself from Master Nie and the Zhang clan, aren’t you?” Judging from the conversation last night, you do suspect that Madam Nie’s intentions may not fully align with her husband’s interests, but from Bai Jiutian’s words, you cannot be sure if he is also distancing himself from Madam Nie. He could have informed her of today’s clandestine rendezvous…

“There is no more need for me to concern myself with Zhang Manxing. He’s fallen sick, and probably won’t last the year,” says Bai Jiutian. “And as I said earlier, going against the Zhang family is reserved for fools of the highest order. I will tell you this: you know less about them than you think you do. They are not just a group of influential, rich aristocrats who dabble a bit in martial arts. You are taking them too lightly.”

“Well, no matter what you say, they certainly don’t like you. If they’re that dangerous…”

“…that is right,” he admits grudgingly. “But that only means I need to find ways to protect myself from them instead of relying solely on my shimu. So, let me return to my questions. What did you find in Tufan? I know you were there. Zhang Manxing reported your presence.”

“I found myself in trouble.”

“That is nothing new. Are you going to answer me, or do I have to force the truth out of you?” He seems serious this time: it looks like this is one question that he definitely wants an answer to. He likely selected this place so that he could fight you uninterrupted, too.

“Was this always on the list of things you wanted to do today?”

“You have been a thorn in the side of Madam Nie for a long time now, Xu Jing… but I might not pluck out that thorn today, depending on what you say.”

“What a filial disciple. Why do you insist I found something that would be interesting to you in Tufan anyway? If you don’t give me a hint, I can’t know what it is that you are looking for.”

“There was once this Shaolin monk,” he says, “who stole some scriptures from Wudang. Combining the two teachings, he developed a strange technique that granted him great power. There have been many different tellings of the conclusion of his tale, but I believe that near the end, he went west. Does this jog your memory?”

You look him in the eye and smile. “I’m afraid it all sounds silly to me. Secret technique? Great power? Have you been reading one too many of those children’s adventure books that they sell down in the market?”

Bai Jiutian’s expression turns cold and hard. “It looks like you aren’t going to cooperate. Very well-“ Before he can finish his sentence, the both of you snap your heads towards the trail that you had come from – you had detected a new presence at the same time.

“Who’s there?” calls out Bai Jiutian. The bushes rustle in movement; whoever is there is attempting to get away, but there is a swooping sound of rushing air, and leaves and branches scatter everywhere. Bai has his sword out, striking from a distance. “Come out, or I will cut you down with my next attack.”

Zhang Manxing stumbles out of the bushes, pale and sweaty. Small boils are peppered around his face, and he gives a sickly grin when he sees you and Bai Jiutian.

“What are you doing here, Manxing? You should be nursing your illness back in Huashan,” calls out Bai. “Whatever possessed you to make the journey here?” He seems just as surprised as you are to see Zhang Manxing here: looking at the man’s physical condition, it seems to be a wonder he actually made it here without fainting on the way. Either he is a very lucky man, or his constitution is a lot stronger than you gave him credit for. He is very clearly unwell and in pain as he walks towards the two of you, his hands held up in the air.

“I was wondering if my shixiong was going off to train at Huangpu this week. The twins saw you leave but refused to tell me… still, after I got forceful with them for a bit and reminded them just who is supporting their father’s leadership of Huashan, they learnt their place.” Zhang Manxing gives Bai a dirty leer.

“What did you do to them?” Bai’s voice is calm and controlled, but you can tell that his composure is beginning to slip. “You do know that Master Nie will kill you if you harm his daughters.”

“Ah, they’re adopted anyway. What does he care, now that he has a bouncing baby boy to coddle?” Zhang says confidently. “Besides, he told me I could take them as my wives if I wanted. Make me and him real blood relations, with all the benefits that come with it. Heh. I think he’ll allow me to do as I want.” He begins laughing, but it is interrupted with a hacking cough. Wiping his mouth, he stares at Bai Jiutian. “Wives… heh. Well, I know that look on your face, shixiong. You’re thinking, didn’t the doctors diagnose me as being impotent? Those idiot quacks don’t know a thing! How could I be impotent? I just need… haha, the proper stimulation. That’s all I needed!”

“Oh, I’ve heard of that disease before. It’s when a man sometimes realizes that he becomes unable to engage in sexual intercourse without having a long, thick, hard object inserted up his ass. My condolences, Zhang Manxing,” you say apologetically. “I did not know.”

“Shut up!” he screams. “That’s not it at all! What nonsense are you talking about? I’m talking about beatings! Hitting their smooth skin with my fists! Slapping them! Pulling their hair! I-I…” He goes into another fit of coughing before composing himself. Amusingly, Bai Jiutian’s face is full of disgust. Zhang continues his rant, “Anyway… Anyway! I found the two of you secretly meeting here. That’s all I need to know! Imagine this, Young Master Bai conspiring with Man Tiger Pig. I knew it was so! You were trying to get rid of me back at Qingcheng, weren’t you? And then you poisoned me, jealous of my skills when I survived!”

Bai Jiutian grimaces, but you smile at Zhang Manxing and ask a question you’ve asked once before. “Did you come alone? Surely you didn’t tell anyone else about your suspicions, did you? I mean, you would look so silly if you had done so without first confirming what your shixiong was up to.”

“Of course I came alone. What do you think I am, stupid? It would ruin my reputation if I dragged other disciples all the way out here without confirming the rumour with my own eyes first!”

“I see,” says Bai Jiutian coldly. You can feel the killing intent radiating off of him. His sword appears sharper and more menacing than before… in his hands, you see a weapon that can truly cut.

Zhang Manxing appears to sense it too, his pox-marked face blanching. He looks nervously to the sides... you get a sudden feeling that he may have lied about coming alone. You could be wrong, though.

A. You let Bai Jiutian handle it. He can take care of Zhang Manxing himself this time. You’ll just sit back and watch the show. If they injure each other, all the better for you.

B. You are not about to let him take away the satisfaction of pulverizing Zhang Manxing with your own hands. You tell Bai Jiutian to stand back. This time Zhang is not getting away.

C. You attack Zhang Manxing together with Bai Jiutian. The two of you launching a simultaneous assault should ensure his death. You can never be too careful with this sneaky creep.

D. You protect Zhang Manxing from Bai Jiutian. If he gets back to Huashan, he might be able to ruin Bai Jiutian’s reputation with his accusations. That would be priceless. Besides, Zhang Manxing is doomed from Qilin’s poison anyway. Let him suffer before he dies.

E. You try to convince Bai Jiutian that you should take his shidi alive. Perhaps an interrogation of Zhang Manxing will be revealing.

F. Run away! This is none of your business, let the Huashan people handle it.

Final tally:

asxetos - C
Azira - C
Akkudakku - C
Jester - C
Smashing Axe - D>A
Kz3r0 - A
Ifeex - C
Nevill - A
Elfberserker - B
Esquilax - B
XenomorphII - B
ERYFKRAD - E>B>C
Kashmir Slippers - C
Grimgravy - A>C
Kipeci - C
Absinthe - B>C
TOME - A
Fangshi - A>C
The Brazilian Slaughter - C
ScubaV - A>C
Baltika9 - C
Tribute - A>E
Lambchop19 - C>E
profreshinal - E>C
Zero Credibility - C
GreyViper - E
Rex Feral - C
archaen - E>A
Tigranes - A

A - 8
B - 4
C - 12
D - 1
E - 4

Post-flop:

A - 10
B - 3
C - 15
D - 0
E - 1

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Oh gods... Time to start praying again too? :M
The problem i have with praying is that, in our case, someone might answer.

Voting C.

In before Zhang Manxing already knows legendary Yin technique and kicks our ass.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
C zhang the dickless dies here :) also if he didnt come alone then bj HAS to work with us :)

asxetos

Augur
I guess, if we manage to kill ZM, BJ will either have to run away (with us?) or somehow pin the murder on us.

Jester

Arbiter
C - time to correct mistake from few updates ago. Im still annoyed he had that vest.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Edit: D>A>C>E - Finally a chance to redeem ourselves in Zhang Manxing's eyes! We shan't let him down!

We haven no reason to help BJ here. If we don't help poor Zhang Manxing, then inaction is best. We don't want BJ reading our qi and determining we have learned one of the legendary techniques. Right now all he has is suspicion.

BJ seems way too coldly rational to be touched by us aiding him too. Most likely BJ will pin the killing on us if any suspicion falls on him.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
It is in our interests that Bai did not get exposed now that he is somewhat ready to cooperate with us.

If he is exposed nonetheless, it is in our interests that he think us an ally, as we would be able to use him as he tries to get back at his enemies.

Being involved in a murder together does wonders for teambuilding. Still, I think manxing will escape his fate this time as well.

I'd vote A if only to keep an eye on the surroundings, but I do not quite support the attitude. I'd prefer to have manxing dead instead of both of them injured.

And I think he took Nie twins hostage, which severely limits Bai's options here. He did have help - I doubt he walked all the way there by himself in his condition.

Besides, he should have learned his lesson that following badass martial artists alone is not the best of ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom