Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Sorry he wanted to investigate Jinkong Sect.
    “Perhaps I should investigate the Jinkong Sect,” offers Fu Xia. “I am familiar with talking to pugilists, and I think after what we have found, we cannot rule out their involvement.”

Going with C.

^ Top  
  2. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    I'm bit late responding this, but not necessarily. Everyone in the constabulary could have gotten the info when our party is supposed to be in Youxia city. Then the assassin just have to stake the manor for a couple hours for Jiang Zheng to show up.

C for now. I still have most of the arguments to read so this might change in a while.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Bloody Truth

“If you’re sure…” Qilin walks right up to the frozen Fu Xia, and after observing him for a few minutes, holds up a long, slender needle, its center hollow. She concentrates on it, focusing her qi.

“H-hey, what are you going to do with that?” asks Fu Xia nervously. She smiles at him sweetly and stabs him right in the centre of his forehead. The needle penetrates the skull and sinks in deep. A single drop of blood trickles down his nose. The constable’s eyes roll up, showing white. There is a disturbing, gurgling noise from his throat as his lower jaw hangs open loosely.

Everyone in the court gasps.

“Qilin, I hope you didn’t just kill him,” you say.

“Don’t worry, darling. This is just the first step of the operation. Now, where did I put that… ah, here it is!” Qilin opens up a little satchel. Tilting his head backwards, she pours the contents into the needle. Then, she places her hands on the sides of his head and shakes it gently. “That should do it.” Clapping her hands twice, she skips away hurriedly from Fu Xia, ducking behind you.

“What’s the matter?” You glance at her – you can tell from the look in her eyes that she’s anticipating the coming moments rather eagerly.

“Well, I haven’t tried it on a person before… so he might explode. I had that sort of thing happen right next to me once. It was rather messy,” she answers.

Fu Xia moans softly. His head lolls to one side.

“Alright,” whispers Qilin after a few more minutes pass, “I think you can try it now. This seems rather different from what I was expecting, but there’s no going back.”

“You tell me that now?” Shaking your head, you take a deep breath – this feels slightly disturbing to you – and approach Fu Xia. “Can you hear me?”

“I… hear you. I hear you. I hear you,” he chants, his voice dry and listless. His eyes are still rolled up in his head.

“What is your name?”

“My name is… Fu Xia.”

“Are you performing some kind of hypnotic acupuncture?” asks the garrison commander, his eyes transfixed to the scene.

“…something like that,” you say – you wouldn’t be able to explain it well anyway. You had better hurry before the drug loses its effect or does something bad to Fu Xia. Turning your attention back to him, you decide to jump straight to the most important question of all.

“Did you kill Du Yao?”

“I killed Du Yao.”

“That’s it!” shouts the lieutenant excitedly. “We have him! We have a confession!”

Still, if you are to be honest with yourself… you are not entirely sure if the drug is making him tell the truth, or if it is merely causing him to follow your suggestions.

“I killed Du Yao,” the newly confirmed murderer repeats. His arms twitch. You were sure that you had sealed his pressure points properly; with his level of skill, he would not be able to undo it so soon. Fu Xia begins chattering, his teeth colliding noisily. A strange, dark liquid spills from the needle in his head.

“This is new,” you hear Qilin mutter from behind you.

The air changes. The temperature seems to drop, a chill permeating the hall. With an ear-piercing scream, Fu Xia breaks free of his seals, throwing his hands into the air. His fingers begin clawing at his temples, scrabbling as if he is trying to get at something inside his head. “I killed Du Yao!” he screams. “I killed Du Yao!” Digging deep, bloody furrows down the side of his cheeks, Fu Xia takes one step towards you, crying out hoarsely. His eyes bulge out, crimson lines branching across the white. The gurgle floats up again from the depths of his throat, gradually rising in volume until it suddenly cuts off with a choking noise. Fu Xia falls silent.

“Killed…” he mumbles. “Killed Du Yao. Kill. Xu Jing.”

With only a ghastly wail as a warning, Fu Xia leaps towards you with a sudden burst of speed.

“Get back!” you shout out, waving at your companions. They scatter, giving Fu Xia and you a wide berth. A dozen Youxia guards run out to restrain him, but to no avail. He lashes out like a rabid animal, his fists and feet raining down blow after blow after blow, each attack accompanied by a rage-filled scream. The sound of breaking bones fills the hall. The guards are flung away like rag dolls. He seems to have gained surprising speed and power, beyond what you originally thought him capable of. Is it the effect of the drug?

Having defeated the guards, Fu Xia comes after you again, screaming madly as blood flows from the self-inflicted wounds on his face. You retaliate by attempting to immobilize him again, but to no effect; he is somehow changed enough that it will no longer work. A powerful punch grazes your chest – his movements might be fast and strong, but they are still sloppy. You evade his furious assault by a hair’s breadth, ducking and weaving between his blows. Letting the spider silk unravel into your palm, you loop it around Fu Xia, hoping to restrain him this way. He howls, exerting his neigong. The silk freezes, becoming brittle enough to shatter with his next move.

You spot a tiny glint between his fingers and instinctively spin aside instead of blocking his next attack – as he throws his hand out, tiny shards of translucent ice fly past you.

Hanbing Needles. There is no longer any doubt.

Going on the attack, you close the gap between the two of you. Fu Xia tries to grab your throat, but you bat his arm aside with your elbow. In such close quarters, he is unable to strike at you properly. You swiftly take advantage of your position to execute The Hidden Dragon In The Fields; your palm drives into his ribs, causing him to cough up dark red blood. Reaching out, you grasp the shoulder of his outstretched arm with your Shouwang Claws and twist his arm back, forcing him into a submissive position.

“Alright, we better calm-“

“Kill! KIIILL!” Screeching, he tears himself away from your grip forcefully. Your instinct, as honed by Master Zhang, was to lock down if your opponent resisted, and that is just what you do.

There is a wet, ripping noise. His shoulder gives way, the forces driving his body stronger than the flesh that constitutes it. You are left holding a twitching arm, your fingers stained with blood. The audience roars in horror, some of them cursing loudly, Pang Xiaohu letting out a laugh of amazement.

Fu Xia is crouched down on the ground, but it is not a posture of surrender. He pushes off with his hand and feet, pouncing at you again. It seems that the loss of his arm has not perturbed him one bit. He is not shocked nor does he seem to be in any extra pain from it. Just what did Qilin’s medicine do to him?

Backing away from his attack with a quick hop, you retaliate, swinging hard. You bludgeon him over the head with his own arm, knocking Fu Xia to the ground. He rolls to his feet instantly, panting – his face is already pale from the blood loss, but his violent urge to kill is undiminished. Shaking your head, you toss his arm aside. If you cannot subdue him, then you would just have to kill him. You breathe in deeply and take a stance. From this distance it would take only one move to twist his head off. The entire hall is silenced as your killing intent is made clear. Even the insane Fu Xia falters for a moment, staring blankly at you.

Before you can move, however, the situation changes.

More blood pours from Fu Xia’s eyes, ears, nose and mouth, an unending stream that soaks his clothes and turns them dark. A deep crack appears from where the needle is still embedded, travelling downwards and splitting his skin down the middle. The needle drops out. He sinks to his knees and collapses. You approach him cautiously, stepping around the widening pool of blood.

“…I don’t… I don’t want to die…” wheezes Fu Xia, his eyes unfocused and staring in different directions. His breathing is growing faint. His flesh appears to be melting… skin and fat and muscle congealing and falling off his bones. Already his nose is no more, leaving behind a raw, red cavity in the center of his face. Just what did that drug do? Your gaze darts towards Qilin, but she looks just as confused and horrified as you are.

“Fu Xia! Who ordered you to do this?” shouts Jiang Zheng, shaken by what he has just witnessed.

“Chief… I didn’t mean to… they made me… threatened… autumn… I’m sorry.” Tears are welling up in his eyes, mixing with the blood. His tongue is beginning to fall apart, garbling his speech. Gasping loudly, Fu Xia manages to croaks out a single word.

“Zhang…”

He breathes his last, the gurgle in his throat petering out into a slow, painful rattle that gradually fades into silence.

“Zhang?” The lieutenant exclaims the name loudly and stares at you, his expression nervous. “Does he mean Zhang Jue?”

“Nah, looks like there’s only one bunch of bastards it can be. Old Master Du was my father’s sworn brother, you know,” says the Little Tiger. “As good as my own uncle, that’s how I thought of him. Not short for enemies, of course, but given what’s going on here… looks like it was probably them.” He grins at the garrison commander. “Your Emperor is going to have a tough time of this, eh? Go back and tell him that if he is going to have more important things to do than to trouble us poor bandits who are just trying to make a living down here.”

The commander frowns, and glances at Jiang. “Can you tell me what he is talking about, Chief Jiang?”

Jiang Zheng looks at Pang coldly, exuding dignity even in his shackles. “This… I am not at liberty to say, commander. It is not information I am permitted to share. But for now, everything is over.”

As Xiaofang was in no condition to be moved, the remaining constables and you remained in Youxia until Cao’er could heal him. The city was gradually returning to normal despite the shock of Du Yao’s death; after that gruesome show in court, the lieutenants had decided that it was a very, very good reason for them to keep their heads down and attempt to keep things going the way they were. They had agreed to rule by committee and to uphold Youxia’s neutrality, though you did not have much interaction with them before this and could not really care less as to what they decided. Pang Xiaohu and his bandits had left as soon as the trial concluded, their motives here still an enigma. Everyone seems to think that it was for the best. The garrison commander too packed up the camp of three thousand men to return to the fort. Chief Jiang had spoken with him, convincing the commander not to file a report on what he had witnessed.

“He was not saying autumn. He was referring to his younger sister, Fu Qiu,” says Jiang. “I should have known.”

“What is it that you are not telling me, Chief Jiang? Between you and Xiaofang’s actions, it seems that this investigation would have gone a lot more easily had you been frank with me from the start,” you say. “It did not have to end this way.”

When Xiaofang woke up, he had confirmed that Fu Xia was the one who attacked him. You also found out that Yunzi was the one who rescued him, and that they were attacked again later that night while they were on their way to the sickhouse, though the mysterious assailant was beaten off easily by Armaiti. Xiaofang had refused to be forthcoming about the reason for his tardiness in meeting up with the chief, however. On Jiang’s part, he did not seem inclined to pursue that question for now. You wonder what he is hiding. His face is weary, his eyes sunken; the events of the past week seem to have taken a heavy toll on him, particularly after news came that the Jinkong Sect had been massacred almost to a man by the Black Dragon Society. It seems that they were rumoured to have stolen the Xiaoming Jiuyang manual, and the Hei brothers had descended upon the small sect to investigate that rumour forcefully.

“I cannot tell you anything just yet,” he repeats, the same words that he has been using to deflect the questions. This time, however, he adds, “I have my own investigation to run now, and it would be better if you did not know of it. This will take some time. Besides, you should already have the clue in your hands.”

“Zhang?”

“A political matter, if there was ever one. I would tread carefully, especially since it is related to the manual. Of course, whoever you are thinking of may have links to people that are easier for you to approach. My advice is to stay away from eunuchs and nobility as much as you can, Xu Jing. You are not too well suited for that field, judging from what just happened,” he says quietly, sipping his tea.

“It’s not our fault,” pouts Qilin. “I did expect the unexpected, but that was beyond any expectations of mine. That should not have happened! I’ve never messed up so badly!”

“Something else in Fu Xia’s body reacted poorly with your medicine, perhaps?” suggests Lady Suien, who has been quietly reading her books all this while.

Qilin perks up. “That… that could be a possible explanation! I’m going to have to investigate this drug further… You’re a genius, sister!”

Lady Suien ignores her.

“Anyway,” coughs Jiang, “we should be returning to Chang’an as soon as possible. What will you do, Xu Jing? I think it best if you operate in the field for now, following your own nose. I will likely be stuck behind a desk for a good long time.”

You ponder his words while taking a bite of the long-awaited duck.

It is every bit as good as you expected it to be.

A. You will return to Chang’an. If your suspicions are correct, you will want to pay a visit to Bai Jiutian in the night and have a little private chat with him. If he is involved with this, it is better that you confirm it quickly; if he is not, then he might become a useful partner thanks to his status in Huashan.

B. You head towards Wudang. Wang Zhengchong may not be there anymore, but you think you should meet up with Guo Fu and see if there is anything he can tell you. Xuezi also still seems to be keen on visiting the place.

C. You head for Xiangyang and the Black Dragon Society. If they are also searching for the manuals, they might have some leads that could be useful to you. Besides, your return visit to the place is long overdue; you have some unfinished business with the Hei brothers.

Not long after you exit the city gates, you see two people in turbans waiting for you by the roadside.

“R-r-right, what a coincidence!” stammers one of them, “Since we just bumped into each other here, it's a good opportunity to talk. We’ve been thinking-“

You have been thinking, Holy Maiden.”

“Don’t push this on me, Armaiti! A-anyway, I heard about what happened in court. Ultimately, it’s about those manuals, isn’t it?”

You nod. “What have you heard about them?”

“Not a lot, but if you’re looking for the manuals to help us out, then we should…” She falters, unable to continue.

Armaiti sighs loudly, seemingly frustrated at Yunzi’s inability to finish a sentence. “Swallow your pride, Holy Maiden. You want to help with the search, right? Well, uh… Lord?”

“You don’t have to call me that if you don’t want to.” You feel that your other companions are observing you keenly for some reason.

“I’ll just call you Xu Jing, then,” she says without hesitation. “So, how about it? You call the shots around here.”

Yunzi is glaring at you.

A. You have them come along. The more people the merrier, you suppose, though you think you’ll be leading a small army of girls before the year is out at this rate.

B. You don’t have them come along. It’s better to spread out and cover more ground that way. Besides, you might be going into some dangerous situations.

Vote Tally (open)

Final tally:

Akkudakku - C>AA
    ERYFKRAD - AA
    Fangshi - B>AA
    asxetos - AA
    Nevill - AA
    Jester - BB
    TOME - AA
    Azira - B>AA
    Baltika9 - BA
    Kipeci - AA
    Grimgravy - CA
    GreyViper - CA
    Tribute - BA
    Kz3r0 - BA
    Rex Feral - BA
    XenomorphII - AA
    Absinthe - A>BA
    Tigranes - AA
    The Brazilian Slaughter - C
    Esquilax - BA
    Kashmir Slippers - BA
    Lambchop19 - A>BA
    Elfberserker - B>AA
    Smashing Axe - AA
    root - CB
    ScubaV - BA
    LWC1996 - AA
    a bear named spigot - AA
    archaen - AA

Destination:
    A - 13
    B - 11
    C - 5

Companion:
    A - 26
    B - 2

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    So Fu Xia had a Geas spell some interesting technique/poison used on him. Interesting that it melted him away. We dont want that to happen to us certainly...
    Also the geas was to later kill us, someone wants us dead, Zhang Manxing maybe?

My vote:
    CA - revenge for our eye (lets take theirs), lets torture what they know about the manuals out of them and of course our Waifu has to come along :) > AA - lets get info on Manxing trying to fuck us up AND discover if BJ is a man or not (a visit at night ;p) AND take our Waifu along :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Just when did we became so awesome? And are projecting any killing intent when we normally fight?

treave, when is Guo Fu's wife due? Is the kid born yet?

^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    AA

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    B>A A.

If the Xuezi wants to go to Wudang that might be a good reason to check the place out. She is quite motivated to get her hands on the manual so I doubt she is in it for the sightseeing. It would also give us a chance to apologize profusely to Bro Fu for letting him down. Failing that I suppose we could go talk to BJ though she has probably already made up her mind about us by now. The BDS does not seem like a great lead, if they are running around massacring sects based on rumours it sounds like they do not know any more than we do.

Second choice should be easy, bring Yunzi and Armaiti along. The two of them can handle themselves if we get into trouble and they probably make the whole group safer to be honest. Also given how much trouble she is having with this if we go with B and send her mixed signals again the girl might well snap... would be kind of entertaining though... :lol:

^ Top  
  8. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    That was... brutal. Great read :)

I would love to vote for Bro Fu but i think Chang'an is the place to go if we are after the manual.
    Voting AA.
    We should avoid BDS, atleast until Shun is done with them. Else we will just bring chaos to his plans.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I guess it went well, since we got the duck in the end.

A talk with Miss Bai is long overdue. AA.

^ Top  
  10. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    BB
    There was duck nuff said...

^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Why is Qilin calling Lady Suien a sister? Is it because she is a candidate for our harem now?

AA.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    B>A
    A

^ Top  
  13. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    It would be cool to be Shun's uncle :troll:

Show Spoiler
    But i dont think she likes the D.

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    BA

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  15. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    AA for me, I think. Though I'm also fine with paying our respects to the Black Dragon Society, them killing everyone seems to make it clear that they don't have anything yet and I think we should attempt to pursue a partnership of sorts with BJ, as it seems we've been friendly-ish recently. Anything that's not checking in with Wudang will probably work out, though.

^ Top  
  16. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    CA

With extreme prejudice.

^ Top  
  17. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    CA yeah we do have a score to settle and our own "sisters of battle" to back us up. And agree with extreme prejudice!

^ Top  
  18. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Well that was horrifying. xA for now, not sure what to go with for the first choice. I kind of want to go see Guo Fu again but I don't see it actually being very useful to our actual goals.

Then again, I don't remember us taking any trips that turned out to be completely pointless.

^ Top  
  19. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Zhang Manxing is now the person to pin the blame on. Or his fammerly, anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    What suspicions? I haven't got the slightest clue what happened. Guess I'll have to read the discuss.

BA for now

^ Top  
  21. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I must say I love the part where Jing beats him over the head with his own arm. That's a classic and should be our new signature move. Assisted self flagellation for the win, fun, and profit!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  23. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    A>B A

Our clue is the Zhang family. A will have us investigate the Zhang family. C will have us investigate the BDS who just pursued what we already know to be a dead end.

B is cool for meeting Guo Fu and maybe improving rep at Wudang, but it doesn't get us closer to the manual, so I think A is the way to go. Besides, I think in the manual hunt, speed is important. If a lead gets even a little old, odds are it's already been investigated and/or moved, and the risk of interlopers increases.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.