Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

TOME

Cuckmaster General
BJ had no problems wounding/killing Jing in D so I don't see how losing in A2 would be any different. I think the best bet would be to tell him we have the WQS but not confirming it.

Where do you guys get that the Zhang clan has the manual? I thought that was just Jing trolling.

Jester

Arbiter
C2 hobo rider if we dont go with character creation.

He actually got lowest overall stats.

Absinthe

Arcane
The Zhang clan was behind the assassination in Youxia City which was done to cover up the manual theft while they pinned it on the Jinkong Sect. Considering how powerful they are, odds are they actually have it. If I had to guess, it was also the source of Manxing's strange and powerful swordplay against Bai Jiutian before he got taken down.

Meh, B > C whatever. I've kind of just stoped reading all this discuss lately but would still like to see some closure in the story.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'd only ever not vote for a reroll if a choice I voted for won leading to a bad end. That's the problem with this kind of communal decision-making, it's hard to share the consequences when they are consequences for decisions you didn't support.

But we're going to lose another eye or something regardless. (Or was that only for rerolling back several updates to tell the eunuch guy who we are?)

B

Esquilax

Arcane
BJ had no problems wounding/killing Jing in D so I don't see how losing in A2 would be any different. I think the best bet would be to tell him we have the WQS but not confirming it.

Where do you guys get that the Zhang clan has the manual? I thought that was just Jing trolling.

We told him in the previous update:

You ignore his brief moment of triumph – he hasn’t won yet – and ask, “What is your shimu’s relation with the Zhang clan? Are they also searching for the manual?”

“You seem to have heard a lot. I cannot tell you how Madam Nie is connected with them. If you want to know, ask her yourself. As for the manual… perhaps?”

“So, I suppose you know that they already possess the manual for the Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill, then?”

At this, his face visibly pales, and he loses control for just a second. “They do? How do you know that?”

“Maybe Madam Nie would know, or perhaps you can ask Zhang Manlou yourself. They are really close with Huashan, aren’t they?”

The amount of time that it takes for him to reply tells you that this turn of events was certainly unexpected to him. Finally, he says, “Why are you telling me this? I… I cannot believe you.”

“You sent me Zhang Manxing as a present after all. Clearly you do not care for him or the wishes of the Zhang family. If it makes you feel better to believe that this is my way of making up for failing to kill him… well, go ahead!”

Clearly the outcomes between actually demonstrating that we have the WQS and saying we have it are two different things. The first confirms it, while the second might be read as a bluff by Bai Jiutian, who thinks we lie about everything. In any case, I'd prefer the half-truth of being the Lord of the Fire Temple, despite the grave risks it carries to our faction, because we might get an opportunity to really turn the tables on Bai Jiutian should we get him on board with a temporary alliance to take on the Zhang Clan.

Absinthe

Arcane
My problem with that, Esquilax, is that if anything B2 seems to be asking Bai Jiutian to investigate the Fire Temple for secret martial arts manuals. It just sounds like a terrible idea to me. Sometimes half-truths are worse than plain old lies.

Esquilax

Arcane
My problem with that, Esquilax, is that if anything B2 seems to be asking Bai Jiutian to investigate the Fire Temple for secret martial arts manuals. It just sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Ah, but the Zhang Clan is a more pressing matter and closer by. He doesn't know where in Tufan the Temple is, and we're his only lead, so where would he even begin to search? The only people connected to the Fire Cult that he is aware of are Yunzi, Armaiti and Jing. So it's not like he'd have any other leads, right?

Absinthe

Arcane
The Fire Temple isn't exactly hard to find. It's a temple, with many worshipers coming there, so once you start asking around for it in the neighborhood of Tufan, you'll know where it is.

Just because he'd have other leads doesn't mean he wouldn't investigate this one. And if he investigates our fire temple, he can come to the conclusion it really is the Wuxiang Qiankun technique considering his suspicions that the Wuxiang Qiankun was located in Tufan in the first place.

Esquilax

Arcane
The Fire Temple isn't exactly hard to find. It's a temple, with many worshipers coming there, so once you start asking around for it, you'll know where it is.

Yeah, but we found the location from Yunzi. I'm sure you can find it if you take the time to do so, but it doesn't seem like the location of this place is particularly easy to find either. And it's been two years since the Fire Cult was routed, yet you didn't see the Eight Sects coming after them since.

Of course, if they knew that the Cult was weak and that they had one of the Three Manuals, they would swarm the place in a hot minute, but in BJ's eyes, the matter with the Zhang Clan is more pressing. He has great ambitions at Huashan, and the Zhang Clan stands in his way, as does Nie Wuxing. They also have one of the Three Manuals too, whereas Bai Jiutian would not know that that's the case with the Fire Temple. With that in mind, why would BJ go allllll the way over to Tibet when there's much more incentive to become a more powerful martial artist and remove the rivals on his way to greater power at Huashan by dealing with the Zhang Clan first? If I were Bai Jiutian, I'd take care of that enemy first before dealing with a weakened Fire Temple that doesn't even have a legendary manual.

Absinthe

Arcane
So we did, but if I had to guess the Eight Sects already know where the Fire Temple is considering they'd be stupid not to watch the Fire Cult's movements after the battle against the sects.

By the way, Bai Jiutian overheard Yunzi giving us directions to the temple, remember?

Kipeci

Arcane
Oh, wow. I thought A2 was in the lead and wanted to just make sure it didn't win, but so very many people voted D without me noticing it was in the lead... I thought it wouldn't be a great option in terms of carrying on the fight, but I wasn't expecting anything like that to happen. Darn, now I feel stupid for concentrating on all the problems of A2 only.

Well, now it's evident at least that BJ is perfectly willing to have us die rather than join up in a superteam if we're difficult and demonstrate nothing of the skill for when B wins.

I'll vote A for this choice only. I don't want to pray, really, but I feel responsible for keeping the discussion more on whether or not A1 or A2 was the most retarded option and having that stupid conditional to keep A2 down.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'd like to condense the DISCUSS!!! a bit and try to predict about the consequences of each choice, given that the rollback seems to be a lock to win right now. Baltika9, Nevill, Tigranes, Zero Credibility Smashing Axe TOME Azira The Brazilian Slaughter Kipeci, feel free to correct me if you think I'm off in how this will go down. I'm not trying to hustle for votes here, just trying to lead this DISCUSS!!! into a better direction than bickering over trivial details.

A1: We confirm Bai Jiutian's suspicions and reveal our Wuxian Qiankun Skill. Thing is, that was his plan all along, and he's not a dumb guy, so there's no way he gives us a fight under these circumstances when he can ran for safety (we're in Huehueland and he's faster than us, he's going to get away). Yeah, it's better than getting the shit kicked out of us and we'll get out of here in one piece, but he'll definitely try and bring us down in the near future. All he has to do is finish off his shidi and then he's back on top as Huashan's golden boy, with all the resources of the sect at his disposal.

A2: I think we're gonna get our ass kicked on this one. We aren't going to die, because Bai Jiutian is sure that we're hiding something, he just doesn't know what, but what I'm pretty sure that this is a fight that we cannot win. The man's skills are much better than ours; to beat him, we need to close the distance and use our Unarmed techniques, but BJ's skills and speed make it nearly impossible to close the distance on him. I mean, we've been coming at him with our best and we still can't handle him.

B1: This might reveal more than we intended. The fact that Yunzi and Armaiti are both travelling with us is very curious. If it were just Yunzi, it could be dismissed as Man Tiger Pig just stealing away some maiden again, but the fact that the one tasked with protecting her virtue is also with us implies some connection between the Fire Cult and the fact that we obtained the Wuxian Qiankun Skill.

B2: I'm in favour of this one. It obfuscates the issue enough, and is a half-truth that's plausible enough for Bai Jiutian to believe it, but at the same time leaves our ace up our sleeve. It's believable because we have Yunzi and Armaiti with us, it explains what we found at Tufan, without exposing what we really have. I think that this will provide the most benefits long-term, provided we maneuver the situation smartly.

It explains why our qi back at Qingcheng was different (we learned how to create more orderly qi from the Fire Cult) but doesn't reveal everything. If we feign some meekness here, I think it'll pay off.

Baltika9

Arcane
A2: I think we're gonna get our ass kicked on this one. We aren't going to die, because Bai Jiutian is sure that we're hiding something, he just doesn't know what, but what I'm pretty sure that this is a fight that we cannot win. The man's skills are much better than ours; to beat him, we need to close the distance and use our Unarmed techniques, but BJ's skills and speed make it nearly impossible to close the distance on him. I mean, we've been coming at him with our best and we still can't handle him.
To be fair, we kinda didn't take this very seriously yet. We used, what, four moves that BJ had to adjust to. And we didn't even pull out our best kenjutsu moves or the Yuchang tricks. I think that the fight is more even than you picture it, and victory is possible, but I'm not willing to do this shit in Huehueshan. With not-a-manxing laying in wait right next to us.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
To be fair, we kinda didn't take this very seriously yet. We used, what, four moves that BJ had to adjust to. And we didn't even pull out our best kenjutsu moves or the Yuchang tricks. I think ghat the fight is more even than you picture it, and victory is possible, but I'm not willing to do this shit in Huehueshan. With not-a-manxing laying in wait right next to us.

Well, Bai Jiutian hasn't pulled out his best Huashan moves either, and he's got a whole lot more of those than we do Kenjutsu moves. And our Yuchang tricks are shit. From the update, it struck me that we seemed to be taking it pretty seriously:

Still, you don’t feel as confident as you sound. His speed is such that escaping might not be an easier proposition than staying and fighting him. Continuing the fight, too, poses its problems. If it was just a battle of neigong, you might be superior, but you can tell that his swordsmanship is practically flawless; you would have to draw him into a dirty, close-up brawl before you have a chance of hurting him. Not impossible… but very risky. There is no telling what other techniques he has up his sleeve either – he might still be holding back to see what you can do.

I mean, if Jing of all people doesn't feel confident about something, chances are that we ought to think very carefully about stepping into a situation like this. And yeah, I'm also concerned about Zhang Manxing trying to attack us while we're distracted with Bai Jiutian as well, though I suppose that he has good reason to kill BJ as well. I just think that there are cleverer ways to deal with this situation and if we do decide to use the Wuxian Qiankun Skill here and now, BJ will just run back to safety. He knows that fighting a guy with this technique is pointless, because the harder you fight, the more techniques you give him. Therefore, avoid him. Since BJ is both faster than us and on home turf, he can avoid us quite easily.

Absinthe

Arcane
You missed a lot of non-trivial details, Esquilax:

A1: We confirm Bai Jiutian's suspicions and reveal our Wuxian Qiankun Skill. Thing is, that was his plan all along, and he's not a dumb guy, so there's no way he gives us a fight under these circumstances when he can ran for safety (we're in Huehueland and he's faster than us, he's going to get away). Yeah, it's better than getting the shit kicked out of us and we'll get out of here in one piece, but he'll definitely try and bring us down in the near future. All he has to do is finish off his shidi and then he's back on top as Huashan's golden boy, with all the resources of the sect at his disposal.
If Manxing turns out to survive, we don't want him to know we have the Wuxiang Qiankun skill.

Actually, we have not been throwing our best at him. Raging Claws of the Mad Lion? Nope. Treave also confirmed that that wasn't one of our stronger kicks, and we definitely have stronger palm strikes than the one we used so far. In addition, since we switched to order mode, we haven't really used moves 1 and 2 from our kenjutsu which really benefit from our boosted perception (instead we used move 3, the one move that doesn't benefit from order mode). That's far from throwing our best at him, Esquilax. We can do much better.

Also, I've said this many, many times, but part of the appeal of A2 is that even if we lose, we still come out ahead because losing with A2 convinces Bai Jiutian that we don't have the technique. This not only protects our crew, but it also tells Bai Jiutian that his best lead on a manual is the Zhang family, and since Zhang family hates Bai Jiutian (courtesy of Manxing) he would need to get help from us (because Huashan is in bed with Zhang), so he would let us go and he would give us his assistance.

B1: This might reveal more than we intended. The fact that Yunzi and Armaiti are both travelling with us is very curious. If it were just Yunzi, it could be dismissed as Man Tiger Pig just stealing away some maiden again, but the fact that the one tasked with protecting her virtue is also with us implies some connection between the Fire Cult and the fact that we obtained the Wuxian Qiankun Skill.
Bai Jiutian already suspects we got Wuxiang Qiankun from Tufan. Don't forget. And Zhang Manxing would overhear us.

B2: I'm in favour of this one. It obfuscates the issue enough, and is a half-truth that's plausible enough for Bai Jiutian to believe it, but at the same time leaves our ace up our sleeve. It's believable because we have Yunzi and Armaiti with us, it explains what we found at Tufan, without exposing what we really have. I think that this will provide the most benefits long-term, provided we maneuver the situation smartly.
This is begging Bai Jiutian (and possibly Huashan by extension) to investigate the Fire Temple. The last thing we need is to get dragged into that kind of crap. And since Bai Jiutian overheard us when Yunzi invited us over, we can be sure Huashan knows where the Fire Temple is too.

It explains why our qi back at Qingcheng was different (we learned how to create more orderly qi from the Fire Cult) but doesn't reveal everything. If we feign some meekness here, I think it'll pay off.
We could always explain that one away by saying Wang Zhengchong taught it to us, which is true enough.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Sounds about right, though I'm not sure the gamble in B2 works in our favor long-term. In short-term it could be the deciding factor to gain BJ's trust. In BJ's eyes Jing is a skilled but trollish martial artist who does as he pleases. This makes him a poor ally. Telling BJ we have responsibilities to other people might make Jing a more desirable ally, having to think others might make him more predictable and more controllable in BJ's eyes.

Forget about Manxing for a moment. I doubt thing are going to be exactly the same if we roll back.

ScubaV

Prophet
Flopped original post to C1>C2. Fuck A and B.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom