Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
One thing. We didn't know anything about what skills these manuals contain until we stumbled across one. Do the orthodox sects or BJ have more knowledge of the WQ manual than that? I.e. does BJ know for sure what kind of forbidden ability we possess? If he suspects strongly that we have some legendary skill, OK, but does he know what exactly it is and how to counter it? What kind of preparations can he have done? Have I missed anything here?

Absinthe

Arcane
If he doesn't know anything about Wuxiang Qiankun he wouldn't have suspected it from that limited evidence. It's safe to say he knows Wuxiang Qiankun lets us copy the target's moves. As for what kind of preparations he can have done, I dunno, but I just cannot imagine him goading us into using Wuxiang Qiankun if he wouldn't come out ahead from us doing so.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm pretty sure he knows enough about what Wuxiang Qiankun does. I mean, its focus is copying other people's moves anyhow.

Would anyone care to flop to A2 now?

Absinthe

Arcane
You firmly believe that doing exactly what Bai Jiutian wants you to do is in Jing's best interests. Alright then.

Absinthe

Arcane
I suppose if his interest is to screw you over and your interest is to get screwed over, you can be said to have common interests, but that does not make it a good common goal to strive for.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
His interest is in seeing what we can do. My interest is in letting Jing try out his "broken" skill on a worthy opponent, so yes. Here I see our interests aligned.

I'm not a doomsayer as you are here. If I were, I'd be arguing for A2 possibly leading to Jing dying. Again. :M

Absinthe

Arcane
If you're looking for a worthy opponent, you can just use it on Yunzi. She'll be more than happy to oblige us with a fight.

Bai Jiutian is just a damn bad idea.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Treave please just close the votes, the discuss is picking up again and it is not swaying anyone +M

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, I motion we create a new option E - Use Item: Five Poisons Powder.

It seems a number of people just want to kill Bai Jiutian so this should be the best way to do it. The sect is a few hours away so Bai Jiutian shouldn't be able to receive any form of assistance in time.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It is far from the best way to do it, particularly since the poison has little effect unless you let him drink it or alternatively think of a way to transfer the contents of the entire satchel directly into his nostrils and down his lungs.

Besides, if you think he's smart enough to be prepared for Wuxiang Qiankun, he should be smart enough to be prepared for tricks from you, poisonous or otherwise. :roll:

Absinthe

Arcane
Wow, we need better poisons. Jing's Sleight of Hand isn't high enough to spike Bai Jiutian's tea either.

Besides, if you think he's smart enough to be prepared for Wuxiang Qiankun, he should be smart enough to be prepared for tricks from you, poisonous or otherwise. :roll:
Well, he'd be positively retarded to not be prepared for Wuxiang Qiankun, considering how much he is goading Jing to use it. I wasn't as certain about being prepared against poisons, though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, we need better poisons. Jing's Sleight of Hand isn't high enough to spike Bai Jiutian's tea either.

Well, he'd be positively retarded to not be prepared for Wuxiang Qiankun, considering how much he is goading Jing to use it. I'm not as certain about being prepared against poisons, though.
Just vote D, dude.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Given that you're known to travel with the heiress of the Wudu Cult and that his shimu, Madam Nie was once involved with a Wudu bigwig and that some of you suspect her of being behind a poison that is insidious enough to weaken a top master like Wang Zhengchong... do you really want to bet on how poorly prepared he is for a poison attack?

He's watching you very, very keenly. I can't emphasize enough how much he is, but he really, really is. Remember that he's on the lookout for any signs of strange skills.

This isn't the place to do consequence-free trolling... not like you guys deserve that anyway after Qingcheng. :lol:

Absinthe

Arcane
I suppose my bigger question is "How does one prepare for poisons?" short of happening to carry the right antidote, being an amazing physician who can create a cure immediately, or having something like the Wudu neigong or our now-lost capacity to absorb poisons.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By knowing the best way to deliver the most common poisons, avoiding such situations, and having relevant antidotes on hand (or pre-ingested, prior to meeting some scumbag you don't trust).

Five Poisons Powder is pretty common. We're not talking about something like Zhang's Lust Drug (TM) or the unknown poison that killed Du Yao.

Besides, if you manage to create an opening big enough for you to throw powder without getting your hand cut off/having it blown back at you with a swing of his sword, you're better off just using that opening to stab him in the face.

Absinthe

Arcane
Wow. We need better poisons. What exactly does Qilin's special variation do for it, anyway?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Paralytic component.

Anyway, I thought I already covered this a while back. If your opponent is powerful enough, they can outright no-sell the poison. You guys picked the Zhang Jue route. That, as far as I'm concerned, is not the 'sneaky poisoner' route. You are not going to become like Tulu Huodu unless you are going to devote more years of training to master poisons, and frankly you guys didn't seem all that interested before this.

You want better poisons? The more effective ones are delivered with needles, and those are classified under thrown weapons. I can offer a poison needle training package with better poisons for the next session, no problem.

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, that was because we were worried about big hits to our orthodoxy reputation. At this point it's safe to say that orthodoxy is a lost cause.

Azira, can I perhaps interest you in a shift to A2? We can always practice Wuxiang Qiankun against Yunzi. Round 3 needs to happen anyway.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You seem oddly fixated on the poison here Absinthe. Can I perhaps interest you in a laxatives package? :martini:

A1 – 1
A2 – 8
B1 – 3
B2 – 12
C1 – 8
C2 – 1

Mar 26 2014 NEVAR FORGET

Treave, that was because we were worried about big hits to our orthodoxy reputation. At this point it's safe to say that orthodoxy is a lost cause.

Which still doesn't make the character someone who will, when faced with a strong opponent, have as the first thought in his mind: "I'm going to use a strong aphrodisiac/poison on him because OMG Bai Jiutian is too strong I'm so scared of losing to him!" instead of "I'm not sure I can beat him but damn if this isn't going to be a fun fight. Let's do it!"

Should Xu Jing always be allowed access to the 'easiest' choices to solve a problem regardless of how the character has been mainly portrayed thus far?

I am willing to make that happen. You guys just need to say yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom