Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Esquilax

Arcane
A quick refresher on these two:

You take the opportunity to practice your Wuxiang Qiankun alone against a duo known for fighting in tandem.
Gan Jiang and Mo Ye
Forged by the swordsmith couple Gan Jiang and Mo Ye for the King of Wu. It is rumoured that the wife, Mo Ye, turned herself into a human sacrifice to complete the twin swords. The Gan Jiang Sword is powerful and commanding while the Mo Ye Sword is gentle and flexible. It is currently in the keeping of the swordsman Zuo Qingfeng and his wife, You Lanhai.

I'm not sure I want to risk fighting the couple on our own without Wuxiang Qiankun, when we've spent our time training it almost exclusively. The update states that they are both accustomed to fighting as a team (i.e. in formation), which also implies that we can copy their formation just like we did with the Four Lions Formation back at Qingcheng. Anyways, I think that underestimating these two is a huge and completely unnecessary mistake. At the same time, I also don't want to use Wuxiang Qiankun when there's no pressing need to either. Nor do I want to defeat them dishonorably; they sound reluctant to actually fight us and I'd rather earn their respect and possibly their friendship in a proper fight.

So I guess now we have to suggest a double-date. Xu Jing and his Holy Maiden up against Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai.

B6

Akkudakku

Arbiter
I think Ax (while A1 is more in the lines of what I want to do) >B6/4/7/3 - these ones can go into a fight and not die horribly > C.

A and B options might end with us making new friends, that is as long as they will stay reasonable.

ScubaV

Prophet
“Of course,” you smile, and clasp her hand tightly, twining your fingers with hers. “Good luck, Jiutian-xiong. I’ll let you know what I find out east.” She is stunned for a moment. Then, with a sudden shout, Bai wrenches her hand away and slaps you across the cheek. “Y-y-you reprobate! This is no way for a gentleman to behave! I’ll remember this!” she shouts, storming away red-faced.

treave, what does this mean? According to wikipedia: xiong is "The pinyin romanization of several Chinese characters, including (elder brother), (chest), (heroic) and (bear)".

Elder brother is the only thing that makes sense in this context. Was BJ embarrased by Jing clasping fingers or making fun of the confused nature of her gender? Or probably both? Sorry if I ruined the moment by over-analysis.

I'm going to go with B3>A1. As mentioned, I'm sure Yunzi would love the opportunity to fight, although I think there are arguments to be made that another of our retinue would be better matchup against the sword couple.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Elder brother, yes. As for embarrassment, Jing was getting too physical for her tastes, sparked some unwanted memories, and she lost her cool for a moment.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Taking on a pair of legendary sword wielders alone is a fool's errand. The other two wielders that we know are the Sword Saint and Nie Wuxing, both highly experienced swordsmen with skills greatly surpassing ours. I suggest we treat the pair the same.

Wuxiang Qiankun would be extremely easy to recognize if we copy techniques that are meant to be used in a pair all by ourselves. The outside of the inn is not the best place for such a display. Showing our hand it to Bai Jiutian is not exactly the same as showing it to the rest of the world.

Yunzi, Armaiti and Yifang are all appropriate choices for the occasion. I favor Yunzi over the other two for obvious reasons. :)

B6.

Last edited:

tropic

Scholar
Voting C - 8 versus 2.

It's past time to stop messing around with people who are trying to kill us.

edit:

OK, flopping to B6

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Aye, we've been needing that int increase.

A1 seems like a bad idea because Jing alone would still try to take on two swordmasters with legendary swords who specialize in teamwork. I don't think we can win a 1v2 against opponents of this caliber just because we have Wuxiang Qiankun.

So, I think we should duo with our best sword fighters, meaning either Yifang or Song Lingshu. Going with B3 right now. Yifang has the right combination of skill and a lack of hostile intent for this fight. Plus she knows our sword style and we're very familiar with Emei swordplay, so we should work well together. This whole encounter seems like the golden opportunity for Yifang to demonstrate her massive sword skills, to be honest.

Uh, tropic, I'm worried about C. They're not wholehearted in killing us right now, but if we pick C they will be. Some of our crew can get killed if they try to mob the couple.

Also, treave, I motion we encourage Cao'er and Qilin to pool their efforts on making a convincing prosthetic eye. Clearly we're a bit too recognizable just by being one-eyed. Also, did Yifang learn our two improvements to our self-taught style?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wouldn't be complete before the LP is over, so it doesn't matter to you. Besides, that missing eye needs to have at least a bit of a drawback.

Yeah, Yifang has picked up everything you have. She's a fast learner.

Esquilax

Arcane
As mentioned, I'm sure Yunzi would love the opportunity to fight, although I think there are arguments to be made that another of our retinue would be better matchup against the sword couple.

Well, we want to give these folks a fair fight, so we're being nice by not unleashing the power of Xuezi upon them.

Taking on a pair of legendary sword wielders alone is a fool's errand. The other two wielders that we know are the Sword Saint and Nie Wuxing, highly experienced swordsmen, whose skill surpasses ours. I suggest we treat the pair the same.

I'm nitpicking a little bit here, but I'm sure that the power of the Great Sword wielders varies considerably. The Saint is obviously #1, but I suspect that we might actually be superior to Nie Wuxing now. The man is a coward and he seems to be the sort who gets complacent in his skills, so unlike BJ, I don't think he's progressed all that much over the past couple of years. Of course, I could be completely wrong if it turns out that he's had access to some techniques from one of the Three Manuals.

In any case, it would indeed be pretty stupid to fight these guys on our own and without the legendary technique that we've spent almost all of our free time training on.

Hahahahaha, I regret nothing about X and XI. Intelligence increase!

That was from XI, X gave us the standard Wuxiang Qiankun level up that allowed us to mimic people at our own level of inner strength. Xuezi's guided meditation gave us that +1 INT, not Jing's solo meditation. At least, I think that's how it worked out.

Absinthe

Arcane
Nie Wuxing is a coward, but I think his sword skills are real.

Wouldn't be complete before the LP is over, so it doesn't matter to you. Besides, that missing eye needs to have at least a bit of a drawback.
I thought -2 Per was the drawback. I notice you got rid of the entire eye in the Fire Temple so we couldn't get Cao'er to restore it anyway.

Yeah, Yifang has picked up everything you have. She's a fast learner.
Gentlemen, I think B3 is the way to go now. She understands our sword style best, so she should team with us.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A1>B3>BX

The outcome of this of course depends entirely on whether their inner strength is greater than ours. Living away as hermits generally means a whole bunch of time meditating. So maybe.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I thought -2 Per was the drawback. I notice you got rid of the entire eye in the Fire Temple so we couldn't get Cao'er to restore it anyway.

Eh, not too much of a drawback nowadays since that's compensated for by Reikan as well as neigong boosts. It is almost a non-factor now.

And the entire eye was already removed more than two years before you reached the Fire Temple to prevent it from getting infected and rotting in your eye socket.

Absinthe

Arcane
Eh, not too much of a drawback nowadays since that's compensated for by Reikan as well as neigong boosts. It is almost a non-factor now.
Eh, we'd still be 2 Per higher otherwise. That's still quite a difference in perception.

And the entire eye was already removed more than two years before you reached the Fire Temple to prevent it from getting infected and rotting in your eye socket.
Huh. Alright then.

Remember that night with Yunzi in the Tujue camp?
I'm not concerned about whether we can work well with Yunzi. My concern is that this is a sword fight and Yunzi is only 6 skill with the sword. Yifang is obviously the best sword fighter here. Plus, I'm not convinced we should face these two with hostile intent like Yunzi is intending.

Absinthe

Arcane
Point taken. Our Reikan has effectively become a permanent +3 to perception now too.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not concerned about whether we can work well with Yunzi. My concern is that this is a sword fight and Yunzi is only 6 skill with the sword. Yifang is obviously the best sword fighter here. Plus, I'm not convinced we should face these two with hostile intent like Yunzi is intending.
Yeah, and Jing is at Sword 7, nothing to brag about when compared to a lifelong swordsman couple. However, Yunzi is at Unarmed 8, had Rob Halford's 'loldead' move and has three supplementary skills at good levels. She's just a better choice here.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Meh, I'll go with B6 just because it sounds romantic.

C and A1 also sound nice but I don't think they'll go just as planned.

B6>B3>B7>A1>C

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Baltika9, Jing has some solid sword techniques though. Kenjutsu is at rank 8. Self-taught style has some new high-power Huashan moves. Nine Shadows Imprisonment Sword is a legendary technique. As for Yifang, she is completely loaded in sword moves with her Guihe Formation/Qingcheng Stab/Jing-style Sword/Qingzi Sword. No seriously, I want to see Yifang fight.

Also, lets ask treave. What are Yunzi's sword techniques? And what level are Yifang's techniques?

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that if they're after our life, this isn't necessarily a sword fight. Anything goes, whips, fists and bored included.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's a Tujue-style basic fencing technique and Haurvatat's water-themed flowing swordplay. The latter is not mastered yet.

Yifang has mastered all of her Emei techniques and is already highly proficient with the Qingzi Sword.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom