Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
  1. I don't think Jing knows them well enough to have a real gauge of their strength. As one of the wielders of the ten legendary swords, the overall info would be "they are fucking strong" but between sword masters, how strong exactly is much harder to guess. Jing's danger sense has also been spoiled by Zhang Jue's training and recent upgrades. These guys don't really project danger like ZJ does, but that doesn't mean they can't be stronger than us.
  2. Jing never blabbed or revealed he had the sword on him because we knew that would draw a ton of trouble. These two were openly carrying them. That draws a lot of master-level challengers and thieves.
  3. Jing still isn't the fastest person in the setting. I would not be surprised if they were faster than us and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they outmaneuvered us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They're rather famous, but there's a good reason why they don't have a huge reputation.

Firstly, they have retired from fighting life for quite a while.

Secondly, they debuted around the same time when Zhang Jue was going on his rampages across China, the Sword Saint was going around schooling just about every swordmaster in his way, and Tulu Huodu was very active and about as a feared master of poisons.

You can, uh, see why any accomplishments they achieved back in their heyday may have been overshadowed, though this doesn't mean that they aren't skilled. They did keep those swords for 15 years after all.

Esquilax

Arcane
I can't persuade anyone over to A1, can I? Going up against multiple skilled foes is another unique circumstance in which to utilize the WQS skill, helping us to further train it up so that we can devote everything to the next level of WQS even faster, and that's where the fun will start. I forget whether it was the ability to about instantly pick up the techniques of those with a lesser neigong or else to imitate the skills of one with a higher neigong, but rest assured that either will be incredibly useful. It's nice to fight with a partner and I'm sure it will boost our relationship with the lady in question whoever it is, but I don't see it as overriding the benefit from another chance to improve the WQ skill.

Well, I'm all for using WQS when we can, but I'd prefer to be judicious and measured regarding when we use it. When it comes to using the ability, we've used it in circumstances where (a) we had secrecy, such as the fight with Zhang Manxing, and/or (b) in a very dangerous fight. Context is very important here, so we shouldn't just spam WQS willy-nilly regardless of the situation - after all, we had the chance to use WQS in the courtroom at Youxia City, but we decided to refrain from doing so. While this is indeed a dangerous fight, but the difference between this and our duel with BJ is that this time we have more options.

Also, as I said earlier, while we can mimic their tandem techniques on our own, it's not a stretch to think that a lot of those techniques are best used with their particular swords. I'm not sure how effective WQS will be in that type of situation.

Also, as to concerns about whether or not we'd win against them... it's a fight to the death, several of the girls with us have reason to be very attached to Xu Jing. If things start looking grim for us I certainly don't think that at least the more unorthodox girls wouldn't intervene to help us in this duel, and there's no way these two can stand up to all of them, especially after being severely weakened by Xu Jing.

I'm inclined to think that once we agree to the terms of the duel, we're going to stick with it. I mean, even if we pick B technically the other girls could intervene to give us help as well, but that doesn't matter IMO and it's pointless to speculate on. Whatever we pick, we're just going to have to see it through.

Not going for relationship points with Yifang?

Besides, Yifang knows our swordsmanship the best, and we are very familiar with Emei swordsmanship too. So I'm quite sure we would partner well with her.

We don't have any tandem moves either, so I'm not sure why Yifang would be better at teamwork than Yunzi would. I mean, if we had learned the Guihe Formation from her, it'd be a no-brainer, but I just don't think that she's that much better for the purposes of this fight.

Besides, Yifang is such a boring pick. We're the motherfucking Harem King: we have a duty to keep our stable of girls on lock and on our cock. (Hey, that rhymes!) Where's the romance in this? I'd rather not spurn Yunzi like that, especially when she really wants to do this. It'll be the Lord of the Fire Temple and his beautiful Holy Maiden up against Zuo Qingfeng and his wife, You Lanhai; it's the perfect double-date! How could we not go with that?

Absinthe

Arcane
Well, what ScubaV said above. It's a sword fight and everything. It's best to group with our best swordmaster. While we don't have tandem moves, our strong familiarity with each other's martial arts still gives us a strong capacity for teamwork.

As for Yifang being a boring pick, this is her moment to shine.

How about we do B3 and use WQS on Yifang instead of our opponents? That way we get her sword skills, get to practice our WQS in battle and have less of a chance to reveal it to our opponents. I'd flop to B3 if that was the plan. This is supposing you can use it to copy people that aren't directly fighting you.

I thought this was moronic at first but now that I think of it, it might be interesting.
The question is if you can activate the WQS to copy only one person's techniques, or else we might end copying the couple's, too.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Saying that it has to be a swordfight just because the duo wields swords holds about the same weight as saying that the Tufan tournament had to be an axefight because Pang Xiaohu, one of the most dangerous contestants, used axes. We were fine going with whatever we had at a time against him.

What the fight will be, thought, and what the choice directly states it will be, is a team effort. Yifang, as good as she is with swords, is unaccustomed to fighting besides Jing. How useful is her knowledge of Guihe formation if we never fought in one? Yunzi, on the other hand, fought alongside us thrice already - in the Ashina camp, in the haunted mansion, and in the tournament. If it comes to feeling the partner, predicting their reactions, and covering for their weaknesses, I'll bet my money on a Jing+Yunzi team. That is even without considering how thematically appropriate it is.

I feel uneasy about sending a rookie, even an insanely talented one, straight into the real combat experience with a dangerous foe. The pressure is too great. Yifang did say that she wasn't the naive girl she was before, but as we have seen in Youxia, she is still the one that can gift the last travelling supplies belonging to the expedition (e.g. not exactly hers) to the first beggar she comes across. I don't want to downplay her contribution to the team - her character is one of her strengths, - but that might make you question if she really changed all that much. If any of those two we are about to fight come up with a trick - and I am not saying they will, mind you, - I expect her to fall for it. That's her nature.

All in all, I think Yunzi is simply a better match for this particular job. In a 1vs1 fight, that might be questionable, but this isn't it.

Edit: goddammit, T9.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Saying that it has to be the swordfight just because the duo wields swords hold about the same weight as saying that the Turan tournament had to be an ax edit because Pang Xiaohu, one of the most dangerous contestants, used axes. We were fine going with whatever we had at a time against him.
Yeah, I gotta agree with this. This isn't about HONRABRU sword duels, it's about them being out to kill us. And, honestly, unarmed 8 is not all Yunzi has on Yifang. Fire qi, whips, swords and archery and, most of all experience. A sword isn't a superweapon that can only be beaten by another sword AND THAT'S IT, hell no. Point is, in a dangerous situation like this, there's no better match in our group than Yunzi. She thinks like us and fights like us and she is above Yifang as a fighter, and is Jing's equal.

Voting C > B3.

They walk to us, two to one, and say they are going to kill us. And they want our team mates to stay out of this, because that would be an honourable and fair thing to do in Wuxia. I guess I'm just not that into Wuxia because my first instinct is to hit back now, while they are surrounded by our girls and distracted by whatever Cao'er has up her sleeve. No need to kill them, just take them down. And then maybe loot their swords. And get some answers from them - like, why would they come out of their retirement to hunt for us? What does the Zhang Clan (presumably) have on them?

I'm also tempted to make a run for it instead, but we are too slow and too obvious a party to escape anyone. In a carriage for fuck sake. I'd say we should disguise our girls as Emei nuns instead (probably less conspicuous than just seven girls all on their own, and we do have some former nuns on our team), but that still leaves Jing. He'd look silly as a huge one-eyed nun. So I'll add another conditional vote instead - take a swordsman to a sword duel (if we really can't have a gun instead). Hopefully we can also use our overpowered technique if it becomes necessary. I'd fucking hate it if our girl gets hurt or killed.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Voting C > B3.

They walk to us, two to one, and say they are going to kill us. And they want our team mates to stay out of this, because that would be an honourable and fair thing to do in Wuxia. I guess I'm just not that into Wuxia because my first instinct is to hit back now, while they are surrounded by our girls and distracted by whatever Cao'er has up her sleeve. No need to kill them, just take them down. And then maybe loot their swords. And get some answers from them - like, why would they come out of their retirement to hunt for us? What does the Zhang Clan (presumably) have on them?

I'm also tempted to make a run for it instead, but we are too slow and too obvious a party to escape anyone. In a carriage for fuck sake. I'd say we should disguise our girls as Emei nuns instead (probably less conspicuous than just seven girls all on their own, and we do have some former nuns on our team), but that still leaves Jing. He'd look silly as a huge one-eyed nun. So I'll add another conditional vote instead - take a swordsman to a sword duel (if we really can't have a gun instead). Hopefully we can also use our overpowered technique if it becomes necessary. I'd fucking hate it if our girl gets hurt or killed.
Actually I wanted to vote to throw the table in their face but people had already took the duel path so I voted fo the best option in that case, and this is not a case of bringing a swordman to a sword fight, this is a case of bringing a virgin nun to an orgy, killers sould be matched by other killers, in before Yfang get killed or manage to have us killed.

Nevill

Arcane
That is what baffles me.

Does not want anyone on his team hurt.
Signs a nun up for a death match.

Does not compute.

Kz3r0

Arcane
That is what baffles me.

Does not compute.
It's the Bai syndrome, they are totally bros, killing us or some of our teammates? Surely you are jesting good sir.

Kz3r0

Arcane

By my probably wrong count we have a tie for the two worst options in my opinion.
A1 12
B3 12

That is what baffles me.

Does not compute.
Which is why my primary vote is to take them on right now where we have the upper hand. And since that doesn't seem to be winning, team up with someone instead of underestimating our opponents. And for my partner I choose, yes, the best swordsman in our group. None of our girls are actually seasoned killers and hopefully it will never become necessary for them to kill here. I would certainly prefer it over taking Yunzi. This isn't a fucking date, it's a fight to the death (at least for us).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Which is why my primary vote is to take them on right now where we have the upper hand. And since that doesn't seem to be winning, team up with someone instead of underestimating our opponents. And for my partner I choose, yes, the best swordsman in our group. None of our girls are actually seasoned killers and hopefully it will never become necessary for them to kill here. I would certainly prefer it over taking Yunzi. This isn't a fucking date, it's a fight to the death (at least for us).
You are getting swayed by an obvious joke, Yunzi is the most experienced fighter here 'date' or not.

Jester

Arbiter
That is what baffles me.

Does not compute.
It's the Bai syndrome, they are totally bros, killing us or some of our teammates? Surely you are jesting good sir.
Someone called? Neh guess i was mistaken.

Btw Its not nun its castration nun no.6, know the difference.

tropic

Scholar
Flopping to B3 for MTP trolling action...

Feel guilty about killing? Yifang is going to be chanting sutras in the fight. That's a psychological advantage.

Nevill

Arcane
And for my partner I choose, yes, the best swordsman in our group. None of our girls are actually seasoned killers and hopefully it will never become necessary for them to kill here. I would certainly prefer it over taking Yunzi. This isn't a fucking date, it's a fight to the death (at least for us).
Right. So, out of the two girls, who is more accustomed to do or die situations?

Yunzi fought for her freedom with us in the Ashina camp.
It was not mentioned on-screen, but I doubt she went down without a fight when Ashina fell.
She escaped the capture attempt at Wufushan.
And she fought two of the best Huashan swordswomen to a standstill during the battle at the Black Tiger Valley (which clearly never happened, since it is impossible for an unarmed fighter to efficiently fight back against swords).

Now, how often Yifang had to fight for her survival?

Once, when we've met her in a forest surrounded by bandits.

And how well did it go, exactly?

Who is treating this encounter like a date a walk in the park, you or me?

tropic

Scholar
The real goal here is not to kill them - it's to find out why they want to kill us (and then stop them from doing so).

There's a chance Yifang will attest to our virtue during the fight, and her nunliness (Emei style) lends credibility.

I originally voted C, but it obviously won't win and I think most Bs are better than A1.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

profreshinal

Arcane
C>A1

We don't have any recent fight or training experience with any of the girls. We've always gone with WQS upgrades and this might bite us in the ass if we do pick one of them to fight with us. Having to use WQS is pretty bad but clumsily trying to fight in tandem versus people that breath tandem begs for accidents.

And for my partner I choose, yes, the best swordsman in our group. None of our girls are actually seasoned killers and hopefully it will never become necessary for them to kill here. I would certainly prefer it over taking Yunzi. This isn't a fucking date, it's a fight to the death (at least for us).
Right. So, out of the two girls, who is more accustomed to do or die situations?

Yunzi fought for her freedom with us in the Ashina camp.
It was not mentioned on-screen, but I doubt she went down without a fight when Ashina fell.
She escaped the capture attempt at Wufushan.
And she fought two of the best Huashan swordswomen to a standstill during the battle at the Black Tiger Valley (which clearly never happened, since it is impossible for an unarmed fighter to efficiently fight back against swords).

Now, how often Yifang had to fight for her survival?

Once, when we've met her in a forest surrounded by bandits.

And how well did it go, exactly?

Who is treating this encounter like a date a walk in the park, you or me?
Well why not pick the kid then, she probably has the most experience in our party and has quite likely killed a lot of people? :P

I don't buy that what experience Yunzi has is somehow that critical. She certainly doesn't strike me as a hardened killer like Jing is, and her relationship with Jing and pigheaded nature is a big, big minus in my book. Remember the last fight with her? The last thing I want is more of shit like that because Yunzi points. Fuck that. Hell, if the goal of Yunzi-shippers here is really to pick the most experienced fighter, they would have chosen Armaiti, a girl that is quite likely more experienced than Yunzi and much more likely to remain cool under pressure. But no. So between B6 and B3 I choose the latter.

And I still think we should just take them down right here and now. Less chance of anyone dying that way (them included).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom