Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, since it was rather obvious that Xuxian beelined for Shaolin monastery, I would expect zhang clan to make a final attempt at capturing him here. How would they go about it is unknown - they might request to hand him over on behalf of the imperial court or the city authorities, or they might try to exert force. Leaving the girls outside might be risky. On the other hand, if we want an ally out of this, we'd better respect the local rules and make our behavior a stark contrast to the one of our adversaries.

Baltika9 A
Akkudakku A
ERYFKRAD C
Kz3r0 A
Smashing Axe C>A
Jester C>A
asxetos A
Esquilax A
Elfberserker A
Ganymede C
Tigranes B>A
ChumBucket A
Nevill A
Ifeex A
Azira A
a bear named spigot A
tropic A
archaen A
Fangshi A
TOME A
XenomorphII C
Tribute A
Rex Feral A

A - 17(18)
B - 1(0)
C - 5

Voting A.

Between Armaiti, Yunzi, Yifang, Song Lingshu, Cao'er and Qillin, they would need one hell of a force to attack them, maybe one or two Bais. Just Yifang is so skilled with the Sword I think she would do fine against Bai Jiutian. Also, I don't think Shaolin would allow our friends to simply get butchered before their walls.

It seems clear that Wudang, Emei and Shaolin are the last remaining "Bro Sects" in the orthodox world, everyone else is either douchebag-owned. Beggars were so taken over they tried to murder Qi Liuwu without even a excuse.

Follow the rules. One of Jing's strengths is that he speaks like others want to hear. He can be speak like a good little respectful young martial artist, and then troll Bai Jiutian two seconds after. Shaolin are a bunch of uptight pricks, but it seems they're good folks.

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, since it was rather obvious that Xuxian beelined for Shaolin monastery, I would expect zhang clan to make a final attempt at capturing him here. How would they go about it is unknown - they might request to hand him over on behalf of the imperial court or the city authorities, or they might try to exert force. Leaving the girls outside might be risky. On the other hand, if we want an ally out of this, we'd better respect the local rules and make our behavior a stark contrast to the one of our adversaries.

Well, the most vulnerable of the girls is Xuezi, so maybe she could come with us? She also knows a shit-ton about the history of the various Sects, as well as martial arts, so she might actually be helpful in negotiations as well. Perhaps I'm stretching things a bit, though.

Follow the rules. One of Jing's strengths is that he speaks like others want to hear. He can be speak like a good little respectful young martial artist, and then troll Bai Jiutian two seconds after. Shaolin are a bunch of uptight pricks, but it seems they're good folks.

Yep, Jing knows how to be polite and respectful when he needs to thanks to his noble upbringing.

I wouldn't call the Shaolin particularly uptight though, that'd be Huashan. The Shaolin are disciplined, ascetic types, and I suspect that their sect is so resistant to corruption because of their adherence to their principles and traditions. It'd take a while longer for their sect to hit the decline. Also, their new leader is around the same age as Abbot Fangzhang and seems to be a decent sort who isn't corrupt (he burned the manual when he could have kept it), so my initial impression is that the danger we'll face won't be from the Shaolin provided we show the proper respect as guests. Could be wrong about that though, of course.

Absinthe

Arcane
A and lets bring Xuezi along. While she's not a good fighter in her current condition, we're here to talk, and she knows a lot.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why was Xuxian afraid for his life, then? Was he just not thinking straight?

Yup. He panicked. Though it's arguable if the punishment might be worse than death.

Anyway, if there is no one speaking out against bringing Xuezi in, I won't have a vote for that one.

Another vote to bring Xuezi in, too. She's a child and a ladybro, after all. Imagine their surprise when they find out we have a friggin' Child Elder travelling with us. Also she's gonna be useless in a fight, unless Manlou's goons are affected by Conservation of Ninjitsu and attack us in large waves.

Esquilax

Arcane
Another vote to bring Xuezi in, too. She's a child and a ladybro, after all. Imagine their surprise when they find out we have a friggin' Child Elder travelling with us. Also she's gonna be useless in a fight, unless Manlou's goons are affected by Conservation of Ninjitsu and attack us in large waves.

I have mixed feelings about bringing Xuezi, but it definitely makes the situation more risky, with more potential of having Xuezi helping us in negotiations or getting into deep shit because we have to protect someone with almost no skill in combat if things turn sour. I won't formally argue against having her with us, though, because it could turn out well.

I don't know if I'm quite comfortable with telling the Shaolin that Xuezi is the Tianshan Child Immortal, though. An orthodox sectarian first took Xuezi's powers and had the Jiuyin manual in the first place, and while my own suspicions are that it's Mao Sanjiao, I'm not sure if I want this many people knowing that a completely de-powered immortal is travelling with us while the Zhang Clan is hot on our heels. Might be safer for her if everyone just thinks that she's just some random little girl. Though I suppose that we'll cross that bridge once we reach it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not sure why you guys think Xuezi has the personality for sensitive negotiations instead of succumbing to force of habit from being the supreme mistress of all she surveys for a hundred years or two and trying to lord it over the uptight monks by virtue of her (actual) age and (non-existent) power. :lol:

Her knowledge can be worked in, though, that much is correct. So I'm not too fussed about adding her to A.

Absinthe

Arcane
I was thinking Xuezi would just play the quiet girl and leave the negotiations to us while we consult her for information. At any rate, she's probably safer with us in shaolin than with the girls who will probably be attacked while we're gone. If Xuezi has to be protected it will be harder for the girls anyway.

On another note, I suspect the pages weren't burned. If the abbot wanted to keep them, he'd have to hide them anyway, so it would make sense for him to claim they were destroyed.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Xuezi likes making fun of monks because they're bald.

While the girls are being left just outside the temple, they're still considered guests under Shaolin protection when you're inside. Anyone attacking them would either be don't-give-a-fuck of Zhang Jue's level or totally batshit retarded. It would actually be a good thing for you, if anyone was stupid enough to try such a thing as that'd push Shaolin on your side, and if it was Zhang Manlou that did it, he can look forward to the Emperor and Chief Jiang having a solid excuse to confiscate his assets and execute his entire family.

Zhang Manxing would probably do it though, if he was still around. He's cute like that.

Absinthe

Arcane
Alright. Lets leave Xuezi then. If our crew is under Shaolin protection and Xuezi is just going to antagonize people, then we should just consult her after negotiations. In that case, is there anything useful Xuezi could share right now about Shaolin, its history, and the legendary manuals before we enter?

Right now, being in Shaolin's good graces is more important to get shit done.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
None that she can think of at the moment or care to mention. If you bring her in she'll probably be reminded of something.

Anyway...

Bring Xuezi in - 2
Don't bring Xuezi in - 1

Last edited:
Voting against Xuezi then, she doesn't strike me as Ms. Diplomacy.
She's more useful in Wudang anyway.

I think Xuxian will either be neigong-capped, bad, or Shaolin will accept his apology (perhaps after some token punishment) and then keep him around because he's a big gun (Ahura/Wang level neigong ain't nothing to scoff at) and they probably need all the big guns they can get at the manual hunt. If Xuxian finds the manuals (at this point his only other alternative to Shaolin safe haven against all the people thinking he has the manuals), its way better for him to stick with Shaolin and keep/burn the manuals than to have everyone hunt and then mob him to take his stuff. Fool should've run all the way to the Middle-East if he really wanted to be in peace.

Xuxian is not a bad guy, althrough I would't trust him entirely if we went adventuring for the manuals together, but that's just because we want the manuals to stay with the Fire Cult (and thus, Jing) while he would take them with himself to Shaolin.

Can't see them randomly butchering or torturing Xuxian or something, I could see Huashan doing that sorta stuff on the sly, but not Shaolin.

Leave her out, otherwise joining the bandwagon (we're bandwagoning again right?)

More like Chaos Undivided. It will last one or two updates, at best, and then we all go back to in-fighting and multi-backstabbing at the threshehold of victory.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Xu Jing isn't the most diplomatic person around either, unless you count his fists as tools of negotiation.

Absinthe

Arcane
Xu Jing isn't the most diplomatic person around either, unless you count his fists as tools of negotiation.
Hm, could we get pointers for +Speech from Qilin then?

Seems we've done it before.
After an exchange of insults, the conversation veers into skills and the two of you end up spending a bit more time exchanging pointers – she can be charming enough as it is, but you have the advantage in noble etiquette, while you are a good sneak in deserted areas, but require more knowledge about how to blend into a crowd and make your way around the packed structures of a city.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Bring the little critter with us. We need more d'awww here.

Indeed, Xuezi's delightful demeanor will put some laughter in the hearts of those stuffy, serious Shaolin monks:

“The duck-thief came knocking at our door looking for a cure to some nasty laxatives,” smiles Qilin. “What a stroke of good luck.”

“You are still not getting that duck back, unless you want to eat watery shit,” hisses the dirty girl, who looks to be about twelve and reminds you of the first time you met Cao’er… though this one definitely talks more.

Isn't she adorable? What a first impression!

But seriously, this girl is a goldmine of information on practically everything, and if there's someone in the area who possesses a legendary technique, Xuezi will figure it out in five seconds, just like she did with us. We're still playing by their rules by bringing her, even if they probably won't particularly be pleased by her foul mouth and complete lack of manners. I can understand the reluctance, since we are here to make some friends, but having Xuezi with us might give us some interesting options as well, so I'm willing to take a chance.

Bring Xuezi with us!

Hm, could we get pointers for +Speech from Qilin then?

I always figured that in the same way that Jing's intelligence is more geared towards fighting and strategy than it is to academics, that his charisma is more geared towards seducing maidens and trolling people.

So you could say Jing is a...

hands-on negotiatior :yeah:

But the Xu Jing school of diplomacy is still better than the Zhang Jue school of diplomacy. Better at ensuring less bloodletting, I mean.

Jingian School of Diplomacy steps:
1. Polite solicitation
2. If it doesn't work, troll and mock them mercilessely to make them attack
3. Kick their asses, sometimes while trolling them mercilessely
4. Ask again
5. Switch to Zhangian school

Zhang Jue School ofDdiplomacy steps:
1. Tell them what you want and specify the terms and time of givings (as in, "give me the stuff now or I kill all of you and write poetry with your blood")
2. If it fails, kill them all and take their stuff, exactly as you said you would do (this is important)
3. If NZ (Negotiator = Zhang Jue) tries but NRX rival negotiator cannot be killed, kneel before it, for it undoubtedly your Master or a God(dess) in disguise and therefore worthy of worship/massive respect. If negotiator = Nx, then go directly to step 4
4. Challenge it to a fight (because why not), return to step 1 of the ZJSD, repeat until objective is acquired

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom