Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

LWC1996

Learned
Isn't the Yuhe finger healing thing reliant on meridians? Pressure points? If the meridians are destroyed doesn't that mean that the pressure point healing does not work? You can't just randomly jab on your body and tell it to heal.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol: What's with all the revulsion to 1C? You guys do realize that it's next to impossible to from level 8 to 9 in any stat by human means, right. This may be our very last chance to raise our natural STR score without giving in to Khorne.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You become more able to kill someone through brute physical force when your strength stat is high. Besides that, you can break things and smash stuff better, of course. Strength 9 means you're physically stronger than a good majority of the adult martial artists out there without even having to use your inner strength. They can only hope to match or surpass you if they use their neigong. With STR 8 you may encounter plenty of martial artists who can still be on par with you, or even overpower you in strength once they activate their neigong. With 9 that becomes rarer.

Brute strength is a perfectly viable way of solving fights (and other problems) if that's your cup of tea, and that's where strength excels.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
How about other applications, can we stop a charging bull when we're a fully developed adult? Or lift an extremely heavy object, say a building support column, off of our allies? Or perhaps redirect a falling boulder.

And how strong is adult 10 STR exactly?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes.

10 STR is as strong as a human can be without cultivating his qi. Basically, by sheer force of muscles. So you might consider that to be peak human strength.

Last edited:

LWC1996

Learned
I think maxing out on AGI makes better sense that total brute strength. As I previously said in my previous post, maxed out AGI makes it easier to dodge deathblows.
And max out strength just brings to mind of a bull in a china shop. Strength isn't everything. And I think we have a high enough strength to do all right. As a swordsman type fighter, AGI is preferable to brute strength.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As far as finger moves go, you can still pick them up and use them but you'd need to be able to modify the techniques to work with your lack of a meridian system in order to channel the qi outwards. And the effects of someone getting a dose of your energy would be rather nasty. If you can't do it, you might need to seek the help of some high INT character.

Baltika9

Arcane
Swords use both AGI and STR. Both are useful in different situations. An agile fighter would dodge, a strong fighter would overpower or just shrug it off, and not be overpowered by someone else, it sucks being pinned under another fighter. I think AGI 7 is enough that we won't be a "bull in a china (I see what you did there) shop," we're still pretty fast, but I think it's better to excel in one field than be merely "good" in two.

LWC1996

Learned
Swords use both AGI and STR. Both are useful in different situations. An agile fighter would dodge, a strong fighter would overpower or just shrug it off, and not be overpowered by someone else, it sucks being pinned under another fighter. I think AGI 7 is enough that we won't be a "bull in a china (I see what you did there) shop," we're still pretty fast, but I think it's better to excel in one field than be merely "good" in two.

Are you thinking that Jing is made of titanium or something?? Sure adrenaline will give you brute strength to keep fighting...but massive blood loss and loss of limb(s)....I'd LOVE to see you shrug it off. You can't use your pressure points skills here without your hands, to stave off the pain or dizzyness temporarily since we don't even have any meridian points to jab at.

Baltika9

Arcane
Thing is, we're already pretty fast to not get into that situation, as the Emei gang-up and the Songfeng scenario showed, so 7 is pretty good, we won't be losing limbs left and right. Packing extra punch and being able to overpower the opponent, especially the overly-agile types with whom we can keep up thanks to the AGI 7 and END boost, will be pretty damn useful.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

As far as finger moves go, you can still pick them up and use them but you'd need to be able to modify the techniques to work with your lack of a meridian system in order to channel the qi outwards. And the effects of someone getting a dose of your energy would be rather nasty. If you can't do it, you might need to seek the help of some high INT character.
P cool. I'm starting to see some of A's benefits...

That reminds me, treave. Since we have no meridians, does that mean that pressure point attacks against us might be less effective?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes. It's a double edged sword. You can't be boosted or healed with acupuncture and the like, but people looking to disable you sneakily via pressure points are in for a surprise.

LWC1996

Learned
Thing is, we're already pretty fast to not get into that situation, as the Emei gang-up and the Songfeng scenario showed, so 7 is pretty good, we won't be losing limbs left and right. Packing extra punch and being able to overpower the opponent, especially the overly-agile types with whom we can keep up thanks to the AGI 7 and END boost, will be pretty damn useful.

With Emei you had Zhang's help, and they weren't trying to kill you. They didn't attack with swords or you'd be dead on the first slip up.

With Songfeng, Rong had never been stated to be anything more than a competent swordsman.

Just because you're fast enough to take on some small fries doesn't mean it's sufficient in the future.

A weapon can compensate for the damage you can do but not your own speed.

And, Tigers are sneaky.

Yes. It's a double edged sword. You can't be boosted or healed with acupuncture and the like, but people looking to disable you sneakily via pressure points are in for a surprise.
Awesome!
Serenity_7802.jpg

PRESSURE POINT OF DOOOOOM!

MalReynoldsFirefly.JPG

Actually, I have no meridians.

20f7nkh.jpg

Baltika9

Arcane
Looks like we don' need to be afraid of the crazy ninja's pressure point attack anymore, thanks Master Zhang!
I was talking about our speed, we're fast enough to stay alive and not lose a limb. The opponent can dance around us all he wants and make those small nicks, our STR and END will let us shrug it off, all we'll need is one hit. To instakill a guy with our stats through speed, they'll need to be almost supernaturally fast and accurate, like AGI 9-10 plus a high PER score.

Hey, don't get me wrong, AGI is all well and good, striking fast is an excellent way to wear your opponent down. But with our average END that'll work against us. That and I really do think Jing's fighting style will benefit from more STR. Plus it has many practical applications too.

I think all the builds - including the high INT build - are viable.

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is that this choice will affect our personality and that wrestling tigers to show them who's boss is some REEEEEAALY stupid macho BS. I rather like the way Jing has progressed so far and don't take kindly to the idea of him doing stupid things like that in the future.

With the exception of the furfag choice, any of the other choices seem more intelligent and stable mentally - by far.

Absinthe

Arcane
Using both Kuanglang Step and Yuanshi Hundun, he can already boost his AGI to 9. I don't think he needs +1 AGI as much as he needs +1 INT, considering he can't boost his INT.

Treave, can you tell us what the choices mean for Jing's personality?

Last edited:

All true. I am tempted to flop. It's just the synergy with the sneak bonus is too awesome to pass up.

Tell you what, if A looks like it has a shot of beating and B won't win C, consider me flopping to A. (1B>1A>1C)

LWC1996

Learned
Looks like we don' need to be afraid of the crazy ninja's pressure point attack anymore, thanks Master Zhang!
I was talking about our speed, we're fast enough to stay alive and not lose a limb. The opponent can dance around us all he wants and make those small nicks, our STR and END will let us shrug it off, all we'll need is one hit. To instakill a guy with our stats through speed, they'll need to be almost supernaturally fast and accurate, like AGI 9-10 plus a high PER score.

Hey, don't get me wrong, AGI is all well and good, striking fast is an excellent way to wear your opponent down. But with our average END that'll work against us. That and I really do think Jing's fighting style will benefit from more STR. Plus it has many practical applications too.

If we max AGI, we can only wear people down, even with a strength of 8 that is already noted to be stronger than many people naturally.
But apparently if we max STR, our 7 AGI won't be a disadvantage in a fight.

You're saying with maxing strength you can be strong and fast enough, but maxing AGI makes you uselessly fast at the expense of needed striking power.

Even though your base str is higher than your base AGI at the moment. You're not being consistent here. Either 8 STR is not sufficient for you, in which case having a 7 AGI should be even more of a drawback in a fight compared to STR, or 7 AGI is enough, which means 8 STR is also more than enough already?

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I like the 3(+2) Sneak too, but we also can't overlook the fact that Jing really needs to learn about Traps. He will probably encounter them in the future, but if he doesn't know the first thing about them, it's gonna suck.

Baltika9

Arcane
We're talking about maxing our strengths and signature bonuses here, though, not covering our weaknesses. Our stats are high enough in both that none of them will be a liability in a fight. All I'm saying is that having one excellent stat in STR will work out better for Jing than being just good at both.
Then there's the END bonus.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Treave, can you tell us what the choices mean for Jing's personality?

In A and B, he becomes more patient, a lot less willing to rush into a fight if he can hang back and get a handle on the situation first, though he may still get reckless impulses when he's all heated up. He also gains a more trollish nature, becoming better at pushing buttons. This is more pronounced in A, less so in B, which has a bit more of focus on trolling through deeds, not words. He'll still be rather sociable outwardly.

In C, he becomes even more sociable, outgoing and friendly, but also a lot more aggressive, reckless and willing to get into a fight. This doesn't mean he's eager to kill; he did only beat down the animals into submission, not murder them. He'll become more honest and straightforward too.

In D, he'll become more zen. Calmer, more detached. He gains the attractiveness of a man of profound mystery.

LWC1996

Learned
I like the 3(+2) Sneak too, but we also can't overlook the fact that Jing really needs to learn about Traps. He will probably encounter them in the future, but if he doesn't know the first thing about them, it's gonna suck.

True but I don't think Jing should be spread out too thin. Jack of all trades but master of none. I think he needs to pick something he's already has good skill points in, and try to get it to higher skill points. This is one of the reason I voted for him going with Zhang as I wanted him to finally take martial arts training seriously and not be flitting from one place to another.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The END is nice. But how do we get it? We get pissed and attack tigers head on. That is neither rational or sane! It sounds more like giving up, binging, doing something colossally stupid, and managing to survive (where the END comes from I imagine). No one in their right mind fights deadly animals head on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom