Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Akkudakku

Arbiter
So lets reiterate, xuxian is able to finish what challenge and why.
I believe he can fight the formation as evidenced by his fights on the way to the monastery. While I believe he will have problems with the abbot the same way as our nun had just 2 updates ago - wrong mindset
In other words A1

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can't grasp the reasoning behind letting Xuxian fight the Abbott again. As was already mentioned, he is terrified of him. His motivation for this fight is at its lowest, even though his life is on the line. This was also Yifang's downfall - despite her skills being well-suited for the fight on paper, her personality and the circumstances of the fight were such that the skills ended up not mattering all that much. You need to be in a certain state of mind to have the best chance at victory, and though the opponents are similarly difficult, fighting the Abbott poses additional challenges for Xuxian that are not there for us. Why place him in that kind of predictment without need?

Besides, where does that talk about Xuxian lacking the skill to deal with several opponents with moderation come from? The only statement we have is from Xuxian himself, who said that he learned to control it better - and he believed in that enough to raise an objection in the Abbott's face. Moreover, we witnessed that he didn't hurt anyone seriously at the Tufan tournament or on the way here, with danger to his life present in both cases. If anything, there is more evidence to support this claim than the other way around.

And seriously, what kind of argument is 'he fought the Abbott once, he can do it again'? Yes, he did, and it ended with him panicking and injuring the man. He certainly can do it again, sure. If he goes in the fight with a guilty concience and fear in his heart, then he have already lost.

It is not like A2 is destined to fail, it's just the chances for both of us are simply better for A1.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
That's an 18-man formation. Xuxian can't leverage the fact that they're individually weaker like we can because he doesn't know how to dismantle formations. Together, they are much stronger than him.

"Formations" is such a broad term, encompassing a huge variety of techniques, just like with individual martial arts. Just because you know how to counter the Guihe Formation doesn't mean that you have the experience to counter the Eighteen Bronze Arhat Formation that we've never seen before. And really, Xuxian has seen this technique far more often than we have, seeing as he's lived in the temple for so long:

And when I say they've seen it, I mean that they probably know exactly how to counter the Eagle Claw Fist itself. I mean, seeing as they're supposed to be a challenging trial for Shaolin disciples up to master-level and all. This is including pressure points and every other common trick. They are eighteen highly skilled fighters, not a bunch of mooks. Draining qi would work but holding off the other seventeen at the same time is the tough part.

The biggest benefit of A2 that hasn't been mentioned would likely be that we might be able to use Wuxiang Qiankun to mimic the formation, though of course that poses problems of its own as well. Still, they might not see it coming from us, and if we replicate the move better than they're able to counter it, we can still win. In a fight against a dude like Abbot Fangci, who seems to be built like a brick shithouse and possess powerful neigong, we'd probably have to qi drain him for a bit before we can use WQS.

Of course, we'll see what our options are when it's crunch time, but given the fact that Xuxian seems more nervous about facing the Abbot and both trials are of equal difficulty, combined with the fact that our brutal techniques are less likely to harm the Abbot, it makes A1 the clear choice.

As for his mental block, part of it is Xuxian just psyching himself out for now. He beat the abbot before, so we know he can do it again. If we give him some help and support, he should be able to face the abbot sincerely. Honestly, if Xuxian wants to make up for how he harmed the abbot, then defeating him without harming him would be his way of showing that he has learned from his mistakes. Sorry, but the way I see it, the abbot is Xuxian's responsibility.

If we're going to accept this challenge, our fates are intertwined, so his responsibility is our responsibility too. The entire point of this trial is to show that Xuxian is fit to possess the technique by testing both his power and his mercy. If either of us are lacking in these attributes, we're screwed. Xuxian may have beaten the Abbot before, but he lacked control and mercy in doing so (and the Abbot may have been holding back as well, according to Xuxian). What I'm concerned about is that he might overcompensate for his previous mistake by lacking power this time.

On the other hand, given the Abbot's strong constitution and defensive neigong, we have a bit more free reign to let loose without breaking the rules of the test. The same cannot be said for A2.

Also, we defeated Guo Fu via ring-out. We don't have that option against the abbot.

My point with that example is that we beat Guo Fu in such a way that he acknowledged that we defeated him, and that we did so without harming him.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
B

I must admit that getting second legendary technique sound delicious, but if we lose then we have nothing. Even if the monk wins alone and doesn't share the technique is the loss I am willing to take compared to loosing much of our current power.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Regarding Xuxian and formations. Remember how treave mentioned we'd been following his tracks, where his assailants were all left behind, battered and bruised but not killed until Jing and crew fell upon them?
Yeah, Xuxian can definitely fight a crowd. Thing is, we don't exactly know how well.

Kipeci

Arcane
You are aware that it's not certain that we will be stripped of our power even in the event of failure for this, right?

Say that we accidentally maim or kill one of their dudes when mopping up. Well, provided that we're able to hold off or overpower the others, what's holding Jing here to be punished? There's his vestigial sense of honor which doesn't really care for their various regulations, and I guess there's the enmity that this would generate between Xu Jing and other orthodox sects because of him not accepting the punishment for his actions, but so long as he's able to fight his way out he won't be drained of his power and crippled unless we decide to go for that.

I'm not saying that outcome would be fantastic (it wouldn't, and I'm definitely not hoping for that) but it's not an end of the CYOA sort of disaster (unless we can't fight our way out). And even in that case, there's the chance of our girls growing suspicious and staging something stupid to rescue him.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Regarding Xuxian and formations. Remember how treave mentioned we'd been following his tracks, where his assailants were all left behind, battered and bruised but not killed until Jing and crew fell upon them?
Yeah, Xuxian can definitely fight a crowd. Thing is, we don't exactly know how well.
Same can be said about his fight against the abbot.
We know that Jing should be able to do either task, but xuxian can fuck up either task. But I believe that his chances of fucking up against the abbot are greater.

Also another thing is after either of us is done with his part can he help the other?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
B, I ain't risking our neck pointlessly.
I must admit that getting second legendary technique sound delicious, but if we lose then we have nothing.
Such is the nature of the plot we got into. Stakes are going to get progressively higher with each fight. Ahura, Bai Jiutian, Qingfeng and Lanhai were all fights where we stood to lose everything, and it is only going to get worse. Don't forget, zhang family have a fragment of the Jiuyin manual, and a full copy of Jiuyang one. If we want to have a chance of defeating them, we must take risks. Else we'll just lose everything when it comes to the final confrontation - and seeing how manlou is probably the one holding Yu's legendary sword as well, it won't take long.

It is not a pointless risk. At least, it is not more pointless than the one we took when we infiltrated the Fire Temple.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
B, I ain't risking our neck pointlessly.
I must admit that getting second legendary technique sound delicious, but if we lose then we have nothing.
Such is the nature of the plot we got into. Stakes are going to get progressively higher with each fight. Ahura, Bai Jiutian, Qingfeng and Lanhai were all fights where we stood to lose everything, and it is only going to get worse. Don't forget, zhang family have a fragment of the Jiuyin manual, and a full copy of Jiuyang one. If we want to have a chance to defeat them, we must take risks. Else we'll just lose everything when if comes to the final confrontation - and seeing how manlou is probably the one holding Yu's legendary sword as well, it won't take long.

It is not a pointless risk. At least, it is not more pointless than the one we took when we infiltrated the Fire Temple.

Good point.

Flopping to A1, because fuck fear.

B

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You are aware that it's not certain that we will be stripped of our power even in the event of failure for this, right?

In the event of failure, it's a choice between being stripped of your martial arts, or bearing the stigma of being such a giant gaping pussy who talks big but can't back it up that you either kill yourself out of shame or Zhang Jue puts you out of your misery.

Kipeci

Arcane

In the event of failure, it's a choice between being stripped of your martial arts, or bearing the stigma of being such a giant gaping pussy who talks big but can't back it up that you either kill yourself out of shame or Zhang Jue puts you out of your misery.
It didn't strike me through reading the update that Jing would view it as quite that intense a personal dishonor, but that's fair enough, there does need to be some sort of consequence for not backing this up properly. At least facing this guy should be a good warm-up for taking on our master in the event of failure. :P

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
B This guy is nothing to us. There is no guarantee that we would learn the skill if we win anyway, and I do not feel like potentially crippling ourselves over some guy we have met just once before.

Elfberserker

Liturgist

Oh.

on second thought, I think I will flop.

B

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Hey lets overanalyze this DISCUSS! style. If one of A options fails then B fails too, unless its Jing that fucks up. If A fails we have a game over. If B fails we are ok and Shaolin likes us same if B succeds. If B would sycced then either A option should succed. If A succeds we might get a neigong boost.
Now which option is good...

Tribute

Arbiter
A1>A2. Why did we even bother coming here instead of going to Wudang if we're not going to help him?

XenomorphII

Prophet
We already have helped him. Now he either proves he can handle the technique or shows he cannot.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
A1>A2. Why did we even bother coming here instead of going to Wudang if we're not going to help him?
We did help. If not us he would just be vegiefied as his punishment. Now he has the ability to prove he is in control thanks to us.
Also flop to A1 > B

Baltika9

Arcane
Why does he need to prove anything to us? All we care about is that Jiuyang skill that will raise or neigong to retarded levels. For that, we gotta put our ass on the line here and fight LORD Zhang Jue's orthodox brother.

Tigranes

Arcane
I have a feeling (I hope?) that if we succeed with Ax, we can have Xuxian honour-bound loyal & coming along with us as the first male member of the traveling harem. We may not learn the Divine Skill ourselves, but we will have someone who can use it to some degree. Our very own Dak'kon.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
I have a feeling (I hope?) that if we succeed with Ax, we can have Xuxian honour-bound loyal & coming along with us as the first male member of the traveling harem. We may not learn the Divine Skill ourselves, but we will have someone who can use it to some degree. Our very own Dak'kon.
He has no Karach blade though. But he might teach us the finger lazor.

tropic

Scholar
treave, if we fight and win, is Xuxian allowed to teach us the technique?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom