Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, ERYFKRAD, would you be willing to flop to A? You voted B because the rewards for A were too low. Turns out winning with A most likely means we can obtain Xuxian's legendary skill.

Ok then voting A1.

Esquilax

Arcane
Even with the part that says we'll totes get the technique Fangci is desperate to keep under wraps and is not going to use even in the Temple's defence? ;)

This I actually believe is true. If we are in this together, we prove that we are just as true to Shaolin's teachings as Xuxian is. So yeah, I definitely think that we'd be able to share techniques.

profreshinal, Xuxian does not have a crippling fear of the Abbot. He's definitely nervous around him because he's ashamed of the fact that he let the Abbot down, but Xuxian still had enough confidence in himself to tell the Abbot that he believed he had enough control.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This says nothing about our ability to control it, and Fangci warned about rushing the mastery of the skill.

I don't think they'll let us.

Meh, without reading discuss voting B.

I'm not even sure what we are doing here. We went after the guy because he was around (and for me because the other choice was even more meh). Than we followed him here because... well, why not. And now we are going to defend him (with 50% chance of actually fucking things up)? I'd rather he take his own chances then. Help him with whatever advice or training we can give him, but this is his fight. We already have enough problems of our own. Didn't we just promise a rescue operation for those kids?

edit:

Don't like A but if B means the guy is fucked for sure then I don't like it either. Abstaining.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Profreshinal, I think he was more afraid of the punishment that was about to be visited upon him at that moment. He didn't even know he had a fighting chance then.

ERYFKRAD, why A1? I'm convinced A1 is the option that will get us killed, tbh.

Zero Credibility, right now we're voting A because there is evidence that strongly suggests we can learn Xuxian's legendary technique by sharing his trial. Scroll up to my first post on this page and you'll see why.

Tribute

Arbiter
Do we know what's going to happen if Xuxian restrains himself from using his skill enough that he loses his fight?

Does that count as a pass on the self-restraint/control front?

Nevill

Arcane
profreshinal, Xuxian does not have a crippling fear of the Abbot. He's definitely nervous around him because he's ashamed of the fact that he let the Abbot down, but Xuxian still had enough confidence in himself to tell the Abbot that he believed he had enough control.
Well, that just says that his certainity in controlling his skill is greater that his fear. In any case, if we go with this, we'll must place our utmost faith in his ability to exert control.

Interestingly, he was afraid of the Abbott even after accepting his punishment, so there is definitely more to it than just fear of reprisal.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Do we know what's going to happen if Xuxian restrains himself from using his skill enough that he loses his fight?

Does that count as a pass on the self-restraint/control front?

It actually would, and this is an important point, but it's going to take someone with either a very strong lack of self preservation or immense willpower to win that way.

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, that just says that his certainity in controlling his skill is greater that his fear. In any case, if we go with this, we'll must place our utmost faith in his ability to exert control.

Interestingly, he was afraid of the Abbott even after accepting his punishment, so there is definitely more to it than just fear of reprisal.

Uh, he's afraid because he knows if he loses, they'll cripple him for life. He's scared because the situation is just really fucking scary.

Esquilax

Arcane
It actually would, and this is an important point, but it's going to take someone with either a very strong lack of self preservation or immense willpower to win that way.

We've got that covered. Bros, vote for A.

Zero Credibility, right now we're voting A because there is evidence that strongly suggests we can learn Xuxian's legendary technique by sharing his trial. Scroll up to my first post on this page and you'll see why.
The thing is, is it worth a 50% chance of fucking things up, not just for us but for the guy as well? I'm sorry, but I'm not going to take a chance with those odds. This is not our fight. This is not our technique.

Absinthe

Arcane
Zero Credibility, he has a 100% chance of fucking it up by himself, we already came in to help him out and now we'd be backing out at the last moment to save our own skin. Besides, we do want the manual and we want the +rep we get from winning the fight (as it will come in handy later).

Does he? Is B automatic failure for him? Then it might be worth voting for A. If not, no thanks. I'm not going to vote A just for manual or reputation.

Nevill

Arcane
+1 SWORDS incoming any time now.

Does he? Is B automatic failure for him?
It very much looks like it, unless we are the one who botches the test.

One of A options leads to an automatic failure, and I don't think it will be due to our performance.

Absinthe

Arcane
We already know Jing can win either option. The problem is whether Xuxian can win against the 18-man formation without injuring a single person. So I think he's better off facing the abbot there. Ergo, I vote A2.

Does he? Is B automatic failure for him?
It hasn't been spelled out explicitly but signs are pointing strongly towards "yes."

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here, some things to think about. The discussion is hurting me. :(

Anyway, votes close in four hours or so.

The Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill is something forbidden for any of our monks to learn, as it promotes imbalance and aggression if not studied in a careful, measured manner… and the temptation to rush its practice is something no man has ever resisted. Even the best of our monks have fallen to its lure, centuries ago, and it has only led to pointless bloodshed.

Xuxian: "I was eventually found out when I accidentally exerted a bit of my power during a sparring session and injured a fellow monk.”

“I understand why he would do so,” continues the Abbot, his brows furrowed. “As a novice he was falling behind his brothers in martial prowess."

Xuxian does not answer – it looks like despite what he has said, he is not entirely ready to give up the power he has achieved.

He still seems conflicted; part of him probably does want to leave.

Xuxian: “My master bid me return here to receive my punishment."

First, face the Eighteen Bronze Arhat Formation, and then battle the current Abbot.

The difficulty is nearly equal, for I am not as strong as my predecessor, Abbot Fangzhang,” says Fangci.

"It means that you must not harm or kill your opponent in the trial, that you demonstrate skill and mercy in your wugong. Are you confident that you can defeat us in such a manner, with your half-hearted mastery of martial arts, Xuxian?”

“His first mistake was in not reporting it, and hiding it for himself. That is covetousness.” "...His second mistake was in practicing the manual, and being unable to control its power. That lack of control will ruin him one day, and all those around him.”

Xuxian: “I’ve learnt to control it better now.”

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Anyway, votes close in four hours or so.
I'll be asleep by then.

Please don't get anyone crippled guys.

The quotes we've just been fed implies that Xuxian is probably not in the proper state of mind to let himself get his ass kicked.

So the question now becomes which is the more winnable fight for him? Is Jing fine whether he wins or loses as long as he doesn't maim anybody?

Absinthe

Arcane
Jing can win either one. He can dismantle the formation and beat them or he can take on the abbot and he could go balls-out with his techniques while refusing to use any harmful moves on him. Jing passes on both the very strong lack of self-preservation and the immense willpower fronts.

Well, fuck it, Xuxian clearly does not have the kind of immense willpower or extreme lack of self-preservation to win against the abbot this way, so I will flop to A1.

I'm still conflicted to be honest, I'm not sure Xuxian can take on the 18-man formation without injuring a single person by losing self-control for a moment.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
New voting tally:

Kz3r0 B
Kipeci A1
The Brazilian Slaughter B>A2
ERYFKRAD A1
Akkudakku A2
Smashing Axe A2>B
profreshinal B
Azira A2>A1
asxetos A2
XenomorphII B
LWC1996 A1
Jester A2
Esquilax A1
Baltika9 A1>B
Rex Feral B>A2>A1
Nevill B>A1
Elfberserker B
Tigranes A1>B
ChumBucket A2>A1
Kashmir Slippers B
Tribute A2
Fangshi B
Absinthe A2
Grimgravy A2>B
tropic A2
Kayerts A1
Sunnmøring C>A1
ScubaV A2>A1
m4davis B
Random Word A2
archaen A2
Ganymede B
Zero Credibility B
A1 - 7
A2 - 13
B - 12
C - 1 (with conditional flop to A1)

After A1 flops:
A1 - 5 (6 counting the C flop)
A2 - 13
B - 14

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Eh, flopping back to A2. That was a short-lived flop.

Honestly, Xuxian did come here to get himself permanently crippled for life and that takes some massive balls in a lack of self-preservation way. That's rather important.

Well, I think it's harder for him to maintain fine control of his movements against 18 opponents, so I'm sticking with A2. The Brazilian Slaughter, are you willing to flop to A2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom