Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kayerts

Arcane
Nevill, I too was wondering why a good showing that ultimately lost versus the Arhats wouldn't be sufficient.

On reflection, though, I do think my above reasoning was flawed. Treave's quotes could just as easily mean "he is exerting immense willpower just by being here; actions speak louder than words" instead of "he is conflicted and will crumble under pressure."

Absinthe

Arcane
I think we can trust him to control himself better in the presence of the abbot than in the presence of the 18-man formation. Especially since Xuxian knows all too well what he did wrong to the abbot last time.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On reflection, though, I do think my above reasoning was flawed. Treave's quotes could just as easily mean "he is exerting immense willpower just by being here; actions speak louder than words" instead of "he is conflicted and will crumble under pressure."
It is highly evident that he is conflicted and uncertain, it pretty much directly says so in the update.

Xuxian does not answer – it looks like despite what he has said, he is not entirely ready to give up the power he has achieved.

“Simple human nature,” sighs the Abbot. “But you will accept your punishment nevertheless?”

“Yes,” replies Xuxian hesitantly, his head lowered.
"Are you confident that you can defeat us in such a manner, with your half-hearted mastery of martial arts, Xuxian?”

“I… I do not know,” mumbles Xuxian.
He still seems conflicted; part of him probably does want to leave.
Moreover, he didn't come here completely on his own accord. It took his master's prodding for him to accept his punishment.

It does take balls to admit your mistakes and face the consequences, but the signs that Xuxian is not entirely alright with that are there.

There is also a matter of Xuxian being prideful and seeking acknowledgement, which led him to committing the mistake in the first place (or so it was 2 years ago). I do not think he will back off that easily - he could easily misinterpret the nature of the challenge and decide that he needs to prove himself by winning.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
Thank god I'm not too late. Flopping to B. Usually, the harder Absinthe argues for something, the more wrong he is. Plus I hate the way he spams people to curry votes and frequently assume facts not in evidence. I can't be a part of that. Let Xuxian (and the voters) make their own choices and live with the consequences.

Edit: For what it's worth I now suspect A1 is actually the correct A choice. Xuxian started with manual because he was lagging behind his brothers and his reluctance to give up this power likely stems from a similar feeling. I think he is also projecting his inadequacies on his brothers and therefore would find it more difficult to stay in control against them than the Abbot. Nevertheless I'm sticking to B.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Pussies gonna pussy out on a potential bro. I guess treave did scare us with that last stupid death and rollback. You all know you wouldnt vote B if that hadnt happened.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ERYFKRAD A1
Kipeci A1>B
LWC1996 A1
Esquilax A1
Tigranes A1>B
Kayerts A1

Akkudakku A2
Smashing Axe A2>B
Absinthe A2
Azira A2>A1
Jester A2
asxetos A2
Chumbucket A2>A1
Tribute A2
Grimgravy A2>B
Random Word A2
archaen A2
tropic A2
GreyViper A2

Kz3r0 B
The Brazilian Slaughter B>A2
profreshinal B
XenomorphII B
Rex Feral B>A2
Nevill B>A1
Elfberserker B
Kashmir Slippers B
Fangshi B
Baltika9 B
ScubaV B
m4davis B
Ganymede B

Sunnmøring C>A1

Final tally:

A1 - 6
A2 - 13
B - 13
C - 1

Post-flop:

A1 - 4
A2 - 13
B - 15
C - 1

RNG:

1 = Goes berserk, serious injury to opponent, trial failed
2 - 3 = Loses control, minor injury to opponent, trial failed
4 - 5 = Unable to take the pressure and runs without a fight, trial failed
6 = Passes the trial

Rex Feral

Prophet
What? We don't even get an update in which we choose what advice to give him?

If it was a roll in A1/A2 thank god we didn't choose that.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Id say that he should take the fight slow and just let the guys exert themselves and give up. Against the abbot he should just keep himself under control even if he might be losing

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Allowing 18 high-level guys exert themselves on you is probably a bad advice.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Allowing 18 high-level guys exert themselves on you is probably a bad advice.

Actually, if you will remember, he does have:

To his surprise, the monk blocks his axes with his bare palms – you think it is Jinzhongzhao, which Guo Fu had demonstrated before, but somehow in this monk’s hands it seems slightly different.

and a very high level neigong technique which improves on it quite a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom