Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    The problem with this is that Xuxian has even less control than Jing. That and we've been told that Jing's mastery of unarmed combat has mitigated somewhat the lethality of Zhang Jue's techniques. Also we have a bunch of non-lethal techniques at our disposal. Xuxian is overflowing with crazy power, he's not going to be able to hold back much, so finding him the sturdiest target in the form of the Abbott is the way to go.

^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I thought that only Cao'er could read qi from a distance, due to her special skill? So the monk that's going to notice, would be one of the monks Jing is fighting, am I correct?

^ Top  
  3. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Hell, Jing can read qi from a distance using Reikan. Remember our first impression of Xuxian?

^ Top  
  4. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  5. LWC1996 Learned

LWC1996
    A1.

I think whoever being tougher is a red herring. Xuxian has very high neigong approaching Ahura so if he loses control he'll be injuring someone. Part of the trial seems to be testing mental strength and intent. The other part is testing if your skill matches your intent. Xuxian is a lot more likely to lose control against the Abbot. Even if he isn't injured by Xuxian he'd have failed the mental part IMO. He can keep cool better against the Arhats.

If he loses control against the Abbot he'll either lose, or 'win' by injuring him. Given the emphasis on his fear of Fangci throughout the update I think A2 is a bad idea.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Cao'er actually sees it, which is different from just sensing it like you would a smell.

^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    LWC1996, you realize our only move to break through the abbot's defense is the White Tortoiseshell Breaker? That's clearly going to lose us the trial. I don't know how you expect Xuxian to take on an entire 18-man formation either. He is nowhere near skilled enough to face a whole formation.

^ Top  
  8. LWC1996 Learned

LWC1996
    Qi draining works better on one opponent. The Abbot is more vulnerable. Once you disrupt his qi Jinzhongzhao will work less well. If the fight drags on because of his defense we are at an advantage.

And I could say the same, how do you expect Xuxian to beat a Shaolin Abbot who is likely at least as skilled as the entire 18? The difficulty is almost the same and the Abbot said that with Jing in consideration. Jing clearly doesn't fear him. In that case the smarter choice would be to consider the mental factor rather than the skill factor.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    On the other end they are eighteen weaker opponents, it's their number that makes the task difficult.
    However this is retarded, do you guys realize that we completely rely on Xuxian to not fucking up right? Admitting that we can pull it off ourselves.

^ Top  
  10. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Xuxian has exaxtly what skill that allows him to defeat the Abbot?
    Because im almost sure that Jing can use qi drain and cheat his way around.
    Then again if Xuxian loses his cool against the formation we are fucked

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    ^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    I don't know what to say about this. If you think this is the case, why in the world are you voting A2 instead of B or C? If you think that we have automatic failure from using a technique that reads as "Style Four - White Tortoiseshell Breaker - a style of forming claws strong and sharp enough to puncture the defences of the opponent, no matter their ability," against a foe using the golden vest, then we basically can't win. The golden vest skill thing isn't some crazy master level technique that only the Abbot would know, it's very likely that the 18 have it as well. And if those guys use it and you think our only countermeasure against the move is that attack, why do you think using the White Tortoiseshell Breaker would damage them any less than the far sturdier Abbot?

If you're that sure we're going to immediately maim the strongest of the Shaolin fighters while he's using one of the most effective defensive techniques around, I don't see why you wouldn't prefer the option to let the guy handle the match on his own. Unless you're just intending to use Xu Jing to absorb blows that were supposed to hit Xuxian or something, but I don't think his personality would allow much for that kind of fighting.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    A2 > B
    I got impression that new abbot isnt to rule strict and quite badass, so i doubt he will fail him if he wont go seriously over the top with tech. Possible spar with Jing will help monk to accustom himself to facing strong enemy.

^ Top  
  13. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    They are limited to same thing, they cant charm us to?

^ Top  
  14. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    He has the Taifeng Zhenyang neigong and a number of qi moves. For the most part, he has raw power on his side. If he managed to beat the abbot before, he can do it again.

That qi drain is a lot less effective against the abbot who has a stronger neigong and defense than the 18. Also, Kipeci, aside from our leech we have moves like our palm strikes (which worked well against Xsaora Vairya, remember?) and Wuying Leipo Kick. But if we face the abbot we are forced to go all out in our offense to take him down before he beats us. I can't imagine that Jing could go all out against the abbot and yet somehow not violate the rule against harming your opponent. That's just wishful thinking.

Besides, there is no fucking way Xuxian can handle an 18-man formation.

^ Top  
  15. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Fine then flop to B > A2

^ Top  
  16. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Xuxian will be unable to think straight in a fight against the Abbot. Conversely, our brutal Zhang Jue techniques are far less likely to hurt a sturdy opponent like Abbot Fangci than they are to hurt the Eighteen Arhats. I mean, we fought Guo Fu in much a similar manner, using lethal moves without holding back, and we defeated him in a way that would have satisfied the requirements of this trial as well.

Now, why did he have less control? Did Xuxian lack control because of the techniques that he possesses and his training (i.e. like Xu Jing), or did he lack control because he was in a panicked mental state and holding back didn't occur to him at the time. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Aside from the mistake he made with the Abbot, Xuxian's problem since then has in fact been holding back too much. Remember the tournament at Dukezong?

Given the guilt that he feels for hurting the Abbot, I think that he'll be too preoccupied with not hurting him. On the other hand, given how sturdy the Abbot is, I think that we can use our brutal Shouwang Claws to break through his defenses without actually harming him, thus fulfilling the conditions set here.

A1

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    We don't need to use our brutal ZJ techs against the Eighteen Arhats. We have other unarmed techniques.

We weren't nearly as deadly then as we are now. Back then we didn't have moves like the White Tortoiseshell Breaker designed to break through these sorts of defenses plus we had better speed and skills than Guo Fu, neither of which are guaranteed against the abbot.

As for Xuxian's mental block, he can overcome that. But he can't overcome his lack of skill to take on the 18man formation without harming them.

^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Yeah, but the Shouwang Claws are some of our best stuff. Why limit ourselves if we can use it against someone very tough, safely.

Yeah, we're far deadlier now than we were before, but Abbot Fangci is far more powerful than Guo Fu was a few years ago too. In any case, I think the analogy fits. We have a very powerful, deadly offense, the effects of which will be mitigated against an opponent that is resilient and with insanely powerful defense.

I believe that you're looking way into the technique and number-crunching side of it without taking into account the intangibles. Xuxian feels very guilty about what he did, and I believe that guilt will adversely affect him in a fight against the Abbot. Every fight that we've heard about him being in after escaping the Shaolin Temple has been with him holding back significantly. While that isn't helpful in the fight against Abbot Fangci, who would be a lot more resistant to such punishment, Xuxian's tendency now to go really light with his opponents for fear of hurting them would benefit him against opponents that are individually weaker.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    That's an 18-man formation. Xuxian can't leverage the fact that they're individually weaker like we can because he doesn't know how to dismantle formations. Together, they are much stronger than him.

As for his mental block, part of it is Xuxian just psyching himself out for now. He beat the abbot before, so we know he can do it again. If we give him some help and support, he should be able to face the abbot sincerely. Honestly, if Xuxian wants to make up for how he harmed the abbot, then defeating him without harming him would be his way of showing that he has learned from his mistakes. Sorry, but the way I see it, the abbot is Xuxian's responsibility.

EDIT: Also, we defeated Guo Fu via ring-out. We don't have that option against the abbot.

^ Top  
  20. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    After thinking it again, doesnt Xuxian know the 18-man formation (maybe not practiced it but he definitely saw it in action)? This should help him just enough to find an opening to take out a few of the Arhats and have a chance. Also i agree with Esquilax that the Abbot can take an almost full on Jing assault without much harm.
    With that in mind, I am flopping to A1.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Voting A1, treave, could they lend us a sword for this match? I'd rather have our Kenjutsu available if at all possible.
    Edit:
    Nonsense, as long as he defeats whither challenge, he's good to go, as stated in the update. Nobody gives a damn about responsibility here, we just gotta win this motherfucker.

^ Top  
  22. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    If either of us loses we both lose.

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I just want to remind you bros: if we fuck up in A, I don't like the odds of escaping. We're on our own and I believe that if it ends in a loss, Xuxian will simply accept his fate. Oh, and also, if we make it through in one piece, we'll be BFF's with Xuxian, but I'm not sure if he'll share the technique with anyone:

Perhaps for the purposes of the trial, since we're sharing in the burden, we can share in the rewards, though.

I'm still voting for A, just reminding everyone that it will be sink-or-swim here. treave, just curious, what event is Abbot Fangci referring to here?

Was Fangzhang in a similar predicament as Xuxian when he was a young monk? Given the old man's fondness for booze and whores, the fact that he learned some unorthodox moves doesn't surprise me. :lol: Also, based on the physical description of Abbot Fangci, I've got a pretty good idea of what Master Zhang looked like back in his Shaolin days as a youngster. He could probably barely fit into his cassock.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oi, Esquilax. If we win this together, then we're as much part of the ruling that we can keep the technique, but cannot teach it to others. We will also have proven our trustworthiness. So, as far as I understand the rules as laid out, Jing can learn it as well.

Thing is, can we convince Xuxian to teach it? I don't know..

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    Or lets just ask treave about the rules.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.