Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Everything returns to nothingness.
Stay true to the classics!

"All flows from the Origin and returns to the Origin."

It helped us once!

Nevill

Arcane
Actually, if you remember, he does have:
Didn't Guo Fu have ungodly neigong for his skill and age? Not on Wang's level, of course, but still. Yet we were able to overcome his defenses alone with enough ferocity.

I guess his neigong could have helped Xuxian to endure the strain, but still there are 18 guys to defend against. If all he did was just stand there and tire them out, I thought he would have been overpowered eventually.

But I only have a vague idea of how it works.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Now that vote is closed I can add my contribution to the DISCUSSSS!!!!.
People that chose A1 took the wrong approach, first, if you decide to take the trial you must trust Xuxian to not go berserk, second, he is really nervous and unsure, so, having Xuxian fight eighteen weaker opponents when he is nervous and when he himself said that he is not confident to noy harm them is really the worst choice, furthermore, if you trust him to not go berserk tha fight agaonst the abbott is the best option, not only because is a sturdier opponent but also because going berserk there is the only way to fail, and if you chose A you already are excluding that.
In short, eighteen opponents make the odds of screwing up much higher that just one single fight.

Rex Feral

Prophet
That he should put priority on controling his power and less on winning.

That he should prove that he would rather die or lose his martial arts rather than misuse his power.

Explain him the nature of the challenge and how to pass it without having to actually defeat everyone.

Kz3r0

Arcane
That he should put priority on controling his power and less on winning.

That he should prove that he would rather die or lose his martial arts rather than misuse his power.

Explain him the nature of the challenge and how to pass it without having to actually defeat everyone.
Renounce your ego and embrace Buddha.

Jokes aside this is very sensible advice.

asxetos

Augur
I dont think the advice matters now since the result has been rolled. The only valid advice is troll advice at this point.

Nevill

Arcane
People that chose A1 took the wrong approach, first, if you decide to take the trial you must trust Xuxian to not go berserk, second, he is really nervous and unsure, so, having Xuxian fight eighteen weaker opponents when he is nervous and when he himself said that he is not confident to noy harm them is really the worst choice, furthermore, if you trust him to not go berserk tha fight agaonst the abbott is the best option, not only because is a sturdier opponent but also because going berserk there is the only way to fail, and if you chose A you already are excluding that.
What if I trust him not to go berserk against opponents that do not require exceptional strength to overcome (e.g. without relying solely on the technique)?

What if I trust him to keep his cool against one set of opponents, but not the other?

It is not as clear-cut as you make it sound.

And why is going berserk the only way to fail against the Abbott, anyway?

I guess we'll see where he failed when the update comes up.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Really the only wrong outcomes are that either he loses control or he flees the challenge. Tell hin to take it like a man and fight everyone without resorting to the special techniques and to demonstrate restraint agaonst overwhelming odds

Esquilax

Arcane
If there is any advice that I would seriously give Xuxian, it would be that in this trial the far bigger test is against himself. If he can win the battle within himself, then neither the Abbot nor the 18-man formation are an obstacle. To win that battle against himself he needs to overcome his attachment to his ego that his power has given him. Coming here is a good first step, but the key here is to fully let go of the illusory self that he built up from finding the manual. The manual itself was a crutch, an obstacle in the way of true enlightenment, giving him a shortcut and holding Xuxian back from his potential by distracting him from his true self.

I guess if there's any piece of advice like the one we got at the Fire Temple that I'd say it would be this: Suffering is an illusion. Any fear that he feels coming in here is only because of his attachment to the manual, which he studied only because he wanted to build his ego up to become an illusory version of himself. The pain, the fear, the trepidation that he feels in this trial is all an illusion - it's his false self playing tricks on him.

Maybe something like this can help him?

ChumBucket

Augur
Yes, tanking should be the prefered route. The point of the exercise is to show restraint. His finger lazors should not be used unless he knows he will not hurt the target or bystanders.

Kz3r0

Arcane
What if I trust him not to go berserk against opponents that do not require exceptional strength to overcome (e.g. without relying solely on the technique)?

What if I trust him to keep his cool against one set of opponents, but not the other?

It is not as clear-cut as you make it sound.
As I wrote, A should chosen only if you trust him to not go berserk, in this case the fight aginst the abbott is a sure win, because he can only be injured by a loss of control, what remains is winning without injuring him or losing by refusing to go all out, in both cases the trial will be passed.
Really, with the abbott you have one chance to lose and two to win, in the other case you have eighteen chances to fail.

asxetos

Augur
Esquilax thats some great advice that Xuxian probably got from his Dalai Lama master already. Jing's advice would be more like "Kick ass and troll hard (also chew bubble gum)".

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I dont think the advice matters now since the result has been rolled. The only valid advice is troll advice at this point.

Well, it would matter if I get anything insightful that isn't just stating the obvious, like "to win you must achieve the victory conditions that we just spelt out for you". :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Really the only wrong outcomes are that either he loses control or he flees the challenge. Tell hin to take it like a man and fight everyone without resorting to the special techniques and to demonstrate restraint agaonst overwhelming odds
I am afraid it goes against the point of the challenge.
An unrelated question. If we still had our qi suppression pills with us and we fed them to the guy before the fight, would that prevent him from using his technique?
You'd need a lot of those. There's another way, though. It's possible to temporarily seal his qi flow via pressure points, but I'm afraid that their point is for him to prove that he can be trusted with the neigong, which is why they are resorting to permanent measures if he fails the test.
So they are going to make this fight impossible without resorting to his powers.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Almost gets him past the hurdle, but not quite there. I mean, if he internalizes the lesson.

This is where it may have been better if you guys had fled with him and Pang Xiaohu way back when.

tropic

Scholar
If there is any advice that I would seriously give Xuxian, it would be that in this trial the far bigger test is against himself. If he can win the battle within himself, then neither the Abbot nor the 18-man formation are an obstacle. To win that battle against himself he needs to overcome his attachment to his ego that his power has given him. Coming here is a good first step, but the key here is to fully let go of the illusory self that he built up from finding the manual. The manual itself was a crutch, an obstacle in the way of true enlightenment, giving him a shortcut and holding Xuxian back from his potential by distracting him from his true self.

I guess if there's any piece of advice like the one we got at the Fire Temple that I'd say it would be this: Suffering is an illusion. Any fear that he feels coming in here is only because of his attachment to the manual, which he studied only because he wanted to build his ego up to become an illusory version of himself. The pain, the fear, the trepidation that he feels in this trial is all an illusion - it's his false self playing tricks on him.

Agreeing that we tell him something like this - reminding him of what Buddhism is about and why he came back in the first place. I don't think a "go kick ass" style pep-talk would work here given his timid personality. I'd think we want to calm him down instead of firing him up. Hopefully Jing can remember something about Buddhism. Ha.

edit: Oh treave just said "not quite enough." ...poor bastard. Xuezi, help us!

Nevill

Arcane
That lecture from Yifang we skipped would sure have come in handy now... :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom