Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, the Shaolin monks might not hurt her, but I don't think the mannequins care about that too much. I'm sensing a lot of sarcasm here. Is it sarcasm? Must be sarcasm.
The mannequins are but a start on the road to victory. You do not expect the disciple of Zhang Jue to fail the very first test, do you? Once we pass it, it would be the turn of our willing hostage to shine.

Besides, as I said before, she would provide us 360 degree vision, which should compensate for the lack of the eye. So she is going to be useful no matter the stage of the trial.

I saved the day? Really? I just figured treave cut us some slack with the dice roll, so the Abbot showed some leniency. I'm not sure if the "advice" I wrote while stoned at two in the morning had much to do with it. :lol:
Humility is a mark of a great man. The truth is, you did give Xuxian the advice, and he was spared the worst. People connect one to the other in their minds, regardless of whether or not the events were actually related. They heed your words, they listen to your reasons. Accept the responsibility and lead the 'Dex to the glorious future of B7. :salute:

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
If this is some sort of weird, reverse-psychology method to get me to vote B5, then fuck you, it worked.

I have been deceived! Back to B7, my brothers!

Kayerts

Arcane
So on one hand, Guo Fu is obviously the best candidate for an endurance match and has spent the last two years studying an art that gives him control in using his strength. He also won't be using any politically awkward techniques like radiating fiery neigong.

On the other hand, I am reminded of this gentleman's philosophy:

http://imgur.com/U7IXbJe

Accepting the challenge in the first place was incredibly dumb, so any attempt to do the rational thing now will be going partial retard. You never go partial retard.

B5

edit: I'll flop to B6 or B8 if they get traction, but they aren't going to.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Accepting the challenge in the first place was incredibly dumb, so any attempt to do the rational thing now will be going partial retard. You never go partial retard.

B7 is clearly more retarded, why aren't you voting for that? I love how this DISCUSS!!! is going to devolve into which choice is the dumbest and why we should clearly vote for it. At the very least, it'll be a refreshing change.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Esquilax said:
B7 is clearly more retarded, why aren't you voting for that? I love how this DISCUSS!!! is going to devolve into which choice is the dumbest and why we should clearly vote for it. At the very least, it'll be a refreshing change.

If I may then.

I would like to propose:

C) Cut off our own arm and do the challenge that way. Before we bleed out (no cowardly bandaging of the wound). It is the only way to make things fair for the monks.

We should all vote for that.

I mean... unless you are scared Esquilax. :smug:

ChumBucket

Augur
Actually Esquilax makes a valid point though. Of our valid options, E5 is probably the "safest" choice we have available, and Kayerts suggested we should go full retard.

Kayerts

Arcane
Good brother, 130% retard is not full retard. The Tao of Retard bids us seek oneness, not 1.3ness. We are bringing our pissed-off firebitch to fight in an impossible challenge, in the hopes of it improving our odds of getting our bone on with her--and doing all this mostly because we wished we had partnered with her in a wildly different situation. The herp of this harmonizes with the cocky sort of derp inherent in accepting this challenge. In drawing the two together and making them one, we shall become whole.

Taking Xuezi just piles random derp upon our existing derp, which may lead to a fearful imbalance and is probably the deception of the Lord Mara.

Absinthe

Arcane
Absinthe's analysis of pros and cons for every choice:

A: Do it alone.
Pros:
  • We get massive +rep.
  • YOLOTIGER
  • We don't have to worry about endangering any others.
  • We get more Wuxiang Qiankun practice.
  • We can last through all the challenges by qi leeching monks to restore our vigor.
Cons:
  • Lets face it, we'll have to reveal our Wuxiang Qiankun to pass.
  • If we use Wuxiang Qiankun but still fail, that would be bad.
Verdict: Doable, but risky.

B1: Partner with Chi Qilin
Pros:
  • Helps Qilin with her insecurity.
  • She wants to fight.
  • She has a huge bag of tricks.
Cons:
  • Poisoning Shaolin won't earn their respect.
  • She's not that great in a straight fight.
  • Not enough endurance to last through all the challenges.
Verdict: Weak choice in the end.

B2: Partner with Cao'er
Pros:
  • That girl has divine-level throwing skill and 11-12 perception.
Cons:
  • Girl is fragile with poor defenses. She might not even survive the first challenge.
  • Low endurance. She won't last.
Verdict: Hell no.

B3: Partner with Yifang
Pros:
  • Master level combat skills.
  • She knows special Emei anti-Shaolin moves.
  • She's a better fighter in a formal match than in a real death match.
Cons:
  • She doesn't want to fight.
  • We don't know if she would hold out all for all 5 matches.
Verdict: Surprisingly decent, but the need for high endurance is a real problem.

B4: Partner with Song Lingshu
Pros:
  • Girl likes brawling. She's up for this.
  • Solid skills.
  • Would be a good opportunity to improve her skills and reputation.
Cons:
  • Probably not enough endurance to last all the way.
Verdict: We would have to carry her to the top, honestly, but it might be doable.

B5: Partner with Yunzi
Pros:
  • Great combatant.
  • Extremely eager to fight.
  • We'll probably have really good teamwork.
Cons:
  • She'll be identified as the holy maiden. We'll have some explaining to do.
  • Don't think she can last all 5 challenges. She was worried about a slow approach against 18 arhats alone.
  • The only way for her to last through all the challenges is to defeat enemies as fast as possible. Self-control can really slip when you're being fast and powerful so there are solid odds that she might kill someone by accident. If that happens, everything will go to shit.
Verdict: Way too risky. Avoid. She seems unlikely to last through all of the challenges anyway.

B6: Partner with Armaiti
Pros:
  • Master level combatant.
  • Very strong defense.
  • Resilient enough to last through the entire set of challenges.
  • Has special moves for fighting multiple people.
  • As the fire lord, she would help us to the best of her ability.
Cons:
  • She would probably be identified as Fire Cult.
Verdict: Good choice.

B7: Partner with Xuezi
Pros:
  • It's even more badass than a solo victory.
Cons:
  • It's a massive dick move. Just about everyone will hate us for doing this, especially Xuezi. We would really have to win.
  • Solid odds she'd get killed.
  • Odds of success are slim to none.
Verdict: Hell no.

B8: Partner with Guo Fu
Pros:
  • VERY capable fighter.
  • Monstrous endurance. He will definitely last all the way to the end.
  • He's a gentle fighter and wouldn't really hurt anyone.
  • Improves his standing and Wudang's with Shaolin (but their standing seems good enough as is).
Cons:
  • He has no reason to fight.
  • We'd be taking advantage of him. Bros don't recruit bros in cold blood.
  • His wife and child would really disapprove of us immediately endangering him just because we saw a good opportunity.
Side note:
  • Guo Fu's int and perception have improved. While he's still no genius, he's come a long way from not recognizing us with a pig's mask on.
Verdict: Too much of a dick move to me, but if you're comfortable with that, then this is the best option.

In terms of fighters who seem likely to actually last through all 5 matches, there is really just Armaiti, Guo Fu, and Jing himself. Ruling out Guo Fu because we respect our bros, that leaves Armaiti and doing it solo. As for Yunzi, she seems like a potential disaster. If we fail by killing someone and expose the holy maiden, we'll be fucked.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ChumBucket

Augur
Your understanding of the twin forces of Herp and Derp are inspiring Kayerts. I bow to your knowledge.:excellent:

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, put a sock in it. The most dangerous and potentially lethal course of action is A, since all have to go past our limits and they're all we have at them. Yunzi is a Master-level combatant like Jing, not a murder obsessed psycho and she knows restraint. As for get endurance, we can feed her some of the qi we leech, extending her shelf life. Everything in this gauntlet is a potential disaster, it's or choices during it that will determine the outcome.

Esquilax

Arcane
Wait, treave, is our inner strength and skill at Wuxiang Qiankun enough to copy some of Guo Fu's Taiji techniques or his own Wudang neigong? Or does his inner strength exceed our own, making that impossible?

Absinthe

Arcane
I know she's not a murder-obsessed psycho, and I never said that she was. Don't put those words in my mouth. Trouble is the only way for Yunzi to clear all the challenges without burning herself out is to defeat all the enemies really quickly. And if you try to wipe out your enemies as quickly as possible, your self-control slips. Jing has killed and maimed enemies by accident before. It's not beyond Yunzi either.

Baltika9

Arcane
Or we can pump our qi in her and work together to annihilate the challenges before we get tired. I honestly think that you're underestimating her.

Absinthe

Arcane
We won't have qi to spare for that. If we pump her our qi, then our own endurance will suffer, and our endurance is not too great to begin with.

Baltika9

Arcane
Then we can suck some qi from the many opponents we fight. See the cycle? Suck-> pump-> suck-> pump.
This shit is starting to go in circles again.

Absinthe

Arcane
Conceivably we would have time to spare for that if we defeat enemies quickly, but I still have my doubts about whether this can last us both for all five challenges. Heck, we'll both be running reasonably low after the first challenge alone, and if we don't defeat opponents fast we won't have enough time to leech enough for the both of us.

So either way we have to go at it fast and hard, and risk accidentally killing someone.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
It's retarded and just asking for either Jing to get injured or Xuezi to die in a freak accident.
Hmm scene where she is bound to us and later possible freaking out during death run is worth it. It will increase possibility of Jing performing Jackie Chan moves, you saw Drunken Master? If we will get that loosing some limbs, not necessary ours is acceptable. Double YOLO for same money, its wuxia way BABE.
No it's just stupid. I do understand you guys have double standards and want that Ctulhu LPCYOA RIGHT NOW, but fuck you guys ;p
I am more of Hobo Rider kind of guy.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Speaking of Wuxiang Qiankun, treave, I thought we were going to have opportunities to copy techniques in this update so that we can use them during the challenges?

Eh, too lazy to compile the techniques for the choice. I'll just fix up something to compensate.

Wait, treave, is our inner strength and skill at Wuxiang Qiankun enough to copy some of Guo Fu's Taiji techniques or his own Wudang neigong? Or does his inner strength exceed our own, making that impossible?

His inner strength is a tad higher than yours.

Esquilax

Arcane
His inner strength is a tad higher than yours.

Damn, none of that Taiji goodness to fight the Shaolin without worrying about maiming or killing them. What about Armaiti, though? Is she our equal in terms of neigong, so that we can use Wuxiang Qiankun on her?

Esquilax

Arcane
She is, all of the girls' key skills are listed on the first page.

Well, the reason I ask is because having Neigong 8 doesn't necessarily mean that we can copy her moves:

Even in the same tier not everyone is at the same level. For example, both Vairya and Zhang Jue could be a level 9, but one may be higher than the other yet not enough to qualify as a level 10. You might be level 8, but you're at the lowest point of it, so at most you are equal to the younger Amesha Spenta in terms of internal energy. You will know who you can copy when it is mentioned.

I think we can probably copy Armaiti based on the comment here, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Who knows, her inner strength might be better than her fellow younger Amesha Spenta? For example, it seems that Guo Fu also is a level 8, but he's still slightly above us in that category, so we can't mimic his moves. In any case, I'm sure we'll get some of her abilities if we're able to copy her in the next update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom