Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
It doesn't matter because we can just leech Armaiti down to our level. Then we can copy.

We could copy Guo Fu this way too, but we'd owe him an explanation.

Baltika9

Arcane
"So, uh, before we do this, I need to suck some qi out of you..."
We should say it in front of his whole family too. :lol:

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
Or we can pump our qi in her and work together to annihilate the challenges before we get tired. I honestly think that you're underestimating her.

And I know just the route of physical contact to use... :smug:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I saved the day? Really? I just figured treave cut us some slack with the dice roll, so the Abbot showed some leniency. I'm not sure if the "advice" I wrote while stoned at two in the morning had much to do with it. :lol:
The key to understand philosophy and religion.

Esquilax

Arcane
Better Yunzi (hell better Jing) dies than Bro Fu. That would be a tragedy. There are always more wives but there is only one Bro Fu!

Good point, we need to have a character in rotation after Jing and Yunzi are both killed in the next few updates. Bro Fu will succeed where they failed, learn the Xiaoming Jiuyang Skill (his kind and gentle nature is perfectly suited to it) and become the righteous leader of the orthodox world after he defeats Nie Wuxing. The titular LEGEND of this LP was never Xu Jing, it was always the tale of a simple farmboy who became the inheritor of Wang Zhengchong's legacy.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
It would actually be hilarious to teach him WQS as bro fu could probably copy almost everyone at skill level 2.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, with all this pussy talk of non-lethality going around, can we call up our axebro Pang Xiaohu to run the gauntlet with us?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If I may then.

I would like to propose:

C) Cut off our own arm and do the challenge that way. Before we bleed out (no cowardly bandaging of the wound). It is the only way to make things fair for the monks.

We should all vote for that.
beot.jpg

a cut of domestic sheep prime

*tsk* *tsk* I leave for a few updates and you bros go and break our sword. Well, good thing you did the right thing with Miss Bai.

Now as for the current update, I think it is paramount that we consider what happened in the last fight:

Xuxian continues to hold out under their onslaught. Minutes pass before he gathers enough confidence to make the first move, perhaps having seen an opportunity he could grasp. He thrusts two fingers forward, shouting as he does so. An invisible force knocks one of the Arhats back. Taking advantage of the hole in their formation, he moves to attack, trading blows with the other monks using a Tibetan boxing style they are unfamiliar with. He fails to achieve a knockout blow, however, and soon the Arhat recovers and rejoins the fight… and the process repeats itself.

“I wouldn’t be able to use such a time-wasting tactic,” says Yunzi, concentrating on the fight. “I would… yes, I would obliterate the first target with overwhelming force at the very start of the fight.”

“You might fail for using too much strength if you don’t judge that first attack correctly,” you say.

“Well, they’re just being too strict, aren’t they? It’s difficult if you have to hold back against eighteen people at that speed and power.

“That’s the point, Holy Maiden,” says Armaiti.

“What would you do?” you ask Armaiti in turn.

“I am confident in my defensive ability, like that monk over there. I also know a technique or two for shaking the battlefield up, so fighting multiple people is not a big deal for me,” she winks. “Still… this formation is not easy to handle. I must admit, I am impressed.”

You have to agree. The fighters are individually skilled, and it moves quickly enough that a single misstep would have you overwhelmed. You could surpass any single member in speed and power, but in aggregate, they would make for a fearsome foe. A straight fight would be difficult even if you were fighting to kill.

My vote is B6>A. Armaiti is a strong fighter and seems to have a strategy for handling these guys. Yunzi is strong, but she lacks the wisdom for fighting such a battle. Yunzi would have been a perfect choice in fighting our would be assassins before, but not now. A sounds like a bit more than we can handle. It might work, but I think we'd need to use everything we have to succeed. It's very telling that even the confident Jing feels daunted.

Also, I think our fight with Bai showed us that the WQ skill isn't unbeatable. In using an opponents moves against them, we have to keep in mind that we'd be using a skill that they are intimately familiar with and possibly capable of countering. Against a master, it may not work very well and against higher neigong opponents (as this particular master probably is) it won't work at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absinthe

Arcane
Current voting tally, everyone feel free to take a look and let me know if I messed up your vote.

ERYFKRAD A
Ifeex A>B5
Akkudakku B5
Fangshi B5
XenomorphII B5
Kipeci B5
Baltika9 B5>A
Azira B5
Nevill B5
Smashing Axe B8
Jester B7>A
Esquilax B5
Kashmir Slippers A>B5
asxetos B5
Rex Feral B6>B5
Absinthe B6>A
GreyViper B5
Tribute B6
Kz3r0 B6
Grimgravy B6
Chumbucket B7
ScubaV B5
Profreshinal B7
archaen A>B5
Kayerts B6>B5
Lambchop19 B6>A
Elfberserker B4>B6
TOME B5
A 4
B5 12
B4 1
B6 7
B7 3
B8 1

EDIT: Tally is now out of date. New tally can be found here.

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Yeah I'll follow up on that line of thought and switch to B6>B5

Especially since treave confirmed that one of our companions might accidentaly kill a monk.

Nevill

Arcane
In fact, since we are the one with the most lethal techniques here, let's have Armaiti run the gauntlet alone to minimize the risks. Maybe with Song Lingshu as support. That way we definitely don't kill anyone.

We haven't assembled our harem for nothing, have we? Those never-do-wells have to earn their food somehow.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Considering that A won't win I am flopping to:
B6
Don't forget that choosing Yunzi will piss off Chi Qilin.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, great. Waifu wars. It's been a while.

Flopping to B2 for Cao'er romance!

Now as for the current update, I think it is paramount that we consider what happened in the last fight:
Seriously, though, the previous fight was fought under entirely different winning conditions. Even though Yunzi probably would have failed the test they gave to Xuxian - which is what the above quote is about - it says nothing about her ability to complete the current one.

Yes, I get it, Armaiti is more level-headed and tough, and probably a better fighter as well. But the will, eagerness and passion sometimes do what the raw skill can not. I do not consider Yunzi a worse pick for fighting in a team with Jing. It's just in this setup we'll be the ones that need to keep their head cool.

I'd say we will have to worry more about winning than about not hurting anyone. This fight sounds nigh impossible as it is, even without a timer. It will take every ounce of our skills just to keep the tempo. In these circumstances I feel that a bit of a competition between the two will provide sufficient motivation to go above and beyond their limits.

The 'confirmation' that one of our characters can kill a monk is not that much scary on its own. Yifang can kill a monk. Technically. What does this tell us? I just take it as a way of saying "trying to pass the test together is no more fool-proof than doing it alone", as it was originally a reply to the claim that "taking a second person will help not killing anyone".

Last edited:

Yeah, let's be the one to keep Yunzi's head cool. :lol:
You're admitting that Armati is the better fighter here and then list Yunzi's passion as an advantage over skill, when treave's update pretty much confirmed that it's that overabundance of passion that could be a disadvantage. Yunzi is plainly not as skilled as Armati in fighting multiple opponents.

BTW, I think we'd be real morons to ignore that she just told us that she'd obliterate the first guy with overwhelming force. She sounds like the highest risk of accidentally killing a monk. Sure any of the others could do it and we could do it ourselves, but why pick her when we know for a fact now that she's going to be going all out because she has no other strategy for dealing with multiple foes the way Armati does? Why not minimize the risk and pick Armati when she's the more skilled fighter against multiple foes anyway?

Come on bros, let's not pick the wrong girl for this fight and sabotage ourselves.

Baltika9

Arcane
I find your lack of faith in Yunzi and true love disturbing. Besides, that's her approach alone. Her and Jing have almost perfect teamwork.

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, let's be the one to keep Yunzi's head cool. :lol:
I meant Jing's head. :| Between Armaiti and Jing, Armaiti is the more level-headed one. Between Yunzi and Jing, the roles would be reversed... somewhat.

You're admitting that Armati is the better fighter here and then list Yunzi's passion as an advantage over skill, when treave's update pretty much confirmed that it's that overabundance of passion that could be a disadvantage.
Everything could be a disadvantage under certain conditions.

Why did we win the one hundred man battle when we could not even stand straight in the end? The remaining 22 fighters could have easily fell us, yet they've lost their motivation to fight because their goal could not be fulfilled anymore, so they turned away and left while we refused to lay down and die, leaving us victorious. Why did Yifang lose despite being a better swordsman than we are? Because she doubted what she was doing, and that is the last thing you want to do in a fight. She would have been dead by now if Lanhai didn't feel the same, which led to her and her husband's defeat. Finally, why did Xuxian fail the test? There was a multitude of reasons, but ultimately, wasn't it because for a second he wanted to be anywhere but here? His lack of determination and confidence paved the road to fear, which in turn led to the loss of control.

Do not underestimate the role of passion and a proper motivation in a fight. Our iron will and stubbornness carried us through a lot of situations where a weaker person would just give up. Maybe overzealousness is just the right mood you want to face an impossible challenge with.

Not to say that Armaiti does not want to fight, but between her and Yunzi, the latter is far more eager, and that should count for something.
Yunzi is plainly not as skilled as Armati in fighting multiple opponents. BTW, I think we'd be real morons to ignore that she just told us that she'd obliterate the first guy with overwhelming force.
That's her style, and it is not unlike ours. How many people did she kill recently?

For that matter, I very much doubt the fighters on the level of Arhat or higher could be accidentally killed.

She sounds like the highest risk of accidentally killing a monk. Sure any of the others could do it and we could do it ourselves, but why pick her when we know for a fact now that she's going to be going all out because she has no other strategy for dealing with multiple foes the way Armati does?
That's why I suggest keeping Jing out of the gauntlet and let the women do all the work! How many strategies except going all out does he have? :D

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
For that matter, I very much doubt the fighters on the level of Arhat or higher could be accidentally killed.

Even a Great-caliber pugilist can be killed by accident:

At the Huashan Summit, if you fall that easily to poisons and tricks you aren't much of a fighter in the first place. The most powerful exponents have enough mastery of their qi to gain a high level of immunity to poisons as well as detect their presence in things like water, food or wine. Besides, they are there to see who are the strongest pugilists, not to kill each other off (except by accident). It really defeats the purpose of cheating in such a tournament.

IIRC, the reason that kills are allowed in the Huashan Summit is because it allows each fighter to attack with their full arsenal and not worry about holding back. This ruleset allows people to really see who's the best. My point is, even legendary fighters can be killed with a technique unintentionally. With each subsequent challenge, we're probably going to have to worry more and more about how much aggression we're unleashing. Against a labyrinth of mannequins or a formation of armored warriors, we can probably go all out without worrying about killing someone, but after that, things will probably get even more complicated.

As for Armaiti, Xu Jing is the Lord of the Fire Temple, she'd run this gauntlet on her own if we asked her. Yeah, she doesn't seem as enthusiastic about it, but she'd probably do it. Still, Armaiti would probably be irritated that we picked her rather than Yunzi - after the previous encounter with Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai, she's probably getting annoyed at how boneheaded and oblivious Jing is. :lol:

An angle a lot of you bros may not be considering is how Shaolin will react. I reckon that once they find out Yunzi is the Holy Maiden, this will become as much of a test of control for them as it is us. The monks are very controlled, but they lost their Abbot and a lot of their friends in Heihu Valley - they're only human, and they're going to feel anger. Letting Xu Jing run the gauntlet is one thing, but the Holy Maiden of the Fire Cult is quite another. Should be a lot of fun to see how they'll react.

Nevill

Arcane
Even a Great-caliber pugilist can be killed by accident:
Well, my point was that you have to really try hard to kill someone of that caliber, with killing intent and all, at which point it can no longer be considered an accident. :)

An angle a lot of you bros may not be considering is how Shaolin will react.
Nah, I just try not to think too hard about it. Have to keep the faith strong! :D

But I am mentally preparing to confide in the Abbott about the fact that the Fire Cult is currently lead by us.

How many people did she kill recently?
I seem to remember a certain Turfan prince that she helped kill while we were fighting together against multiple opponents. Wonder who we'll kill together this time?

Everything could be a disadvantage under certain conditions.
Right. And in these conditions, Yunzi's lack of strategy for fighting multiple opponents combined with her eagerness and passion would be a recipe for disaster.

Could anyone kill a monk? Could almost anyone do almost anything? Sure. But stating such generalities while ignoring facts does not a good argument make. Saying "everything could be a disadvantage" or "anyone could kill a monk" while ignoring Yunzi's obvious lack of a correct strategy for fighting multiple opponents and stated willingness to use overwhelming force is just burying our heads in the sand. The fact is that given her statements, she's is the most likely to kill someone and the most likely to be a disadvantage in this fight, given what we know.

If this were just about who I like more, I'd be right there with you in picking Yunzi, but I think it'd be downright unwise given the giant hint treave gave us earlier as to her lack of strategy beyond "obliterate the first target with overwhelming force".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom