Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I seem to remember a certain Turfan prince that she helped kill while we were fighting together against multiple opponents. Wonder who we'll kill together this time?
That was not quite because she is a bloodthirsty nutcase who is not familiar with the concept of restraint. In fact, she did beat Tenzin rather sparingly when we left them to fight between themselves. You are arguing against yourself here. ;)

We weren't fighting 'together against multiple opponents'. We were fighting each other on top of the multiple opponents. That's not exactly the same.

Right. And in these conditions, Yunzi's lack of strategy for fighting multiple opponents combined with her eagerness and passion would be a recipe for disaster.
The choice with Yifang was about SWORDS. This one is going to be about CROWD CONTROL, isn't it?

Saying "everything could be a disadvantage" or "anyone could kill a monk" while ignoring Yunzi's obvious lack of a correct strategy for fighting multiple opponents and stated willingness to use overwhelming force is just burying our heads in the sand.
Hmmm... what is the correct strategy of dealing with several opponents? Have we been doing it incorrectly so far? Because 'take one person out and the formation would crumble' is precicely Jing's line of thought. For that matter, what is incorrect about this strategy?

How are you even proposing A as a backup plan with a mindset like this? Isn't the problem only going to get worse if we do it alone?

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Hmmm... what is the correct strategy of dealing with several opponents? Have we been doing it incorrectly so far? Because 'take one person out and the formation would crumble' is precicely Jing's line of thought. For that matter, what is incorrect about this strategy ?

Well, I guess a strategy that doesn't involve going all MAXIMUM FUCK on an opponent and having a higher risk that he dies would help. Armaiti definitely seems like she's got more tricks up her sleeve in this regard. That being said, I am still somewhat disappointed at Lambchop19 for going full-homo and not wanting Yunzi to fight alongside. He has bravely stood against the forces of faggotry, so seeing him do a complete 180 here makes me sad.

When it comes down to it, we're going with Yunzi because of twue wuv, her hyper-competitive nature means that she'll stay on to the bitter end, and because we work well as a team. She's going to be harder to restrain than the more cool-headed Armaiti, but I'm willing to take a chance with her because it's more interesting. Also, I've got a gut feeling that Yunzi will rise to the occasion and learn a little bit about restraint in this challenge for her own sake. When you're facing a grueling endurance trial and need to carefully pace yourself, going MAXIMUM FUCK isn't really an option. We're going to have to find lots of solutions and be a little creative here, and because Yunzi and Jing are made for each other, I think that the team is really going to be greater than the sum of its parts.

On paper, Armaiti and Guo Fu are probably the better picks, but Yunzi's got a lot of intangibles that will help us.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The choice with Yifang was about SWORDS. This one is going to be about CROWD CONTROL, isn't it?
Different fight. If I had voted I would have voted for Yunzi or Qilin. That fight was about love. This fight is not. Let's not try and compensate for not picking Yunzi then by picking her now, k?
Hmmm... what is the correct strategy of dealing with several opponents? Have we been doing it incorrectly so far? Because 'take one person out and the formation would crumble' is precicely Jing's line of thought.
Her strategy isn't just to take one opponent out at a time.

“I wouldn’t be able to use such a time-wasting tactic,” says Yunzi, concentrating on the fight. “I would… yes, I would obliterate the first target with overwhelming force at the very start of the fight.”

“You might fail for using too much strength if you don’t judge that first attack correctly,” you say.

“Well, they’re just being too strict, aren’t they? It’s difficult if you have to hold back against eighteen people at that speed and power.”

“That’s the point, Holy Maiden,” says Armaiti.

“What would you do?” you ask Armaiti in turn.

“I am confident in my defensive ability, like that monk over there. I also know a technique or two for shaking the battlefield up, so fighting multiple people is not a big deal for me,” she winks. “Still… this formation is not easy to handle. I must admit, I am impressed.”

You have to agree. The fighters are individually skilled, and it moves quickly enough that a single misstep would have you overwhelmed. You could surpass any single member in speed and power, but in aggregate, they would make for a fearsome foe. A straight fight would be difficult even if you were fighting to kill.
"Overwhelming force" is the main problem.
“You might fail for using too much strength if you don’t judge that first attack correctly,” you say.
Also, she could kill someone with it.

The second problem is her lack of strategy beyond that. Armati has...
I am confident in my defensive ability, like that monk over there. I also know a technique or two for shaking the battlefield up, so fighting multiple people is not a big deal for me,” she winks. “Still… this formation is not easy to handle. I must admit, I am impressed.”
...both defensive ability and combat techniques for handling multiple opponents.

Also:
I also know a technique or two for shaking the battlefield up, so fighting multiple people is not a big deal for me,” she winks.
Armati has confidence and some sort of pre-establish strategy for fighting multiple foes. Yunzi...
I would… yes, I would obliterate the first target with overwhelming force at the very start of the fight.
...seems to have just pulled this "plan" out of her ass.

Esquilax, Armati is a woman and seems to be in favor of Jing boning Yunzi (wingman +1 harem +1). No homo here, bro.:rpgcodex:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B5. Waifu points, a chance to earn points for fire cult, and Nevill makes a good case about passion in fights.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lambchop19 said:
Her strategy isn't to take one opponents out at a time.
I am not sure I follow you. What does taking out one person at a time have to do with what I was saying?

This is our 'plan':
Take one down and the formation should crumble.

This is Yunzi's 'plan':
I would obliterate the first target with overwhelming force at the very start of the fight.

They look identical to me. Destroy the formation by eliminating one of the links.

The word 'overwhelming' is not enough to put me in the panic mode. Armaiti is geared towards defensive fighting. Yunzi is more confident when she is on the offense. This is all the difference I see between their 'strategies'.

Armaiti does look better suited for this challenge in theory, but I'll be damned if I miss such a chance to see Jing and Yunzi teaming up against impossible odds. I don't want to downplay your choice, but I'd rather not have mine labeled as a disaster, thank you.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
I think you guys are getting too caught up in being concerned about hurting the monks. How about the fact that this is a FUCKING HARD CHALLENGE that even the Abbott didn't seriously expect us to attempt? I'm more concerned about succeeding at this thing than possibly breaking a bone or two. If any of you follow sports then you know the adage that hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I'm not saying that Armaiti or whoever else is going to laze around through this gauntlet, but I'm not sure anyone can deny that Yunzi is likely to give 110% where the others might only manage 90-95%. Then factor in that while Yunzi might not be ideal for this challenge (neither is Jing, for that matter), she's still super talented.

So yeah, I'm taking the eager Yunzi. Plus, you know, we need to finally add her to the harem.

Absinthe

Arcane
The problem with banking on intangibles is that it could just as easily wind up being wishful thinking. The best that can be said for Yunzi is that she has a chance of succeeding. And we're not just picking a fight. These are FIVE challenges back to back (72 wooden mannequins labyrinth, 36 warriors, 18 bronze arhats, 9 venerable elders, 1 abbot), so I don't think Yunzi can last. Baltika9's idea where we leech more and channel it to Yunzi has issues considering we're on a timer and we don't know if there will be enough qi to leech. So, I expect that Yunzi we won't even last all the way. Given the difficulty of this challenge, we should just worry about winning. Saying "it's possible" with Yunzi just isn't good enough. We want good odds. As for harem points, we can get them later when we rematch against the Yuanyang Hudie Dream.

The word 'overwhelming' is not enough to put me in the panic mode. Armaiti is geared towards defensive fighting. Yunzi is more confident when she is on the offense. This is all the difference I see between their 'strategies'.
That's just burying your head in the sand, Nevill. Do you dispute that treave said our partner could end up killing someone or that Yunzi is the most likely candidate for this?

TOME, when it comes to winning Fire Cult points, Armaiti is Fire Cult too. And ScubaV, seeing as we're the fire temple's lord, Armaiti is bound to give us at least 100%. Amesha Spenta tend to be pretty serious about backing their lord.

Fangshi, XenomorphII, GreyViper, archaen, Kashmir Slippers, are you willing to flop considering that Armaiti has better moves tailored for these challenges and higher endurance to last all the way?

Asxetos, by your own account, Armaiti or Guo Fu would be best here. Would you be willing to vote for Armaiti then seeing as Yunzi's odds of victory are dubious (there are decent odds of fucking up by running out of steam and by killing someone)?

Kayerts, are you willing to flop to B6 now that it is gaining traction and at 6 votes + 1 conditional flop?

Smashing Axe, are you willing to flop to B6 (Armaiti) considering that Guo Fu won't win?

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
That being said, I am still somewhat disappointed at Lambchop19 for going full-homo and not wanting Yunzi to fight alongside. He has bravely stood against the forces of faggotry, so seeing him do a complete 180 here makes me sad.
The hell? Last time i check all companions with exceptions of Gou Fu were heterosexual option. Or you know something i dont... crap there are traps in our harem?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Yunzi and Jing are the top two person from the cult so they are going to score the most points. I don't see this challenge as something we absolutely must pass, I think even a nice try will score some major points here. Ignoring Yunzi second time is just not something I'm willing to do for a slightly better chance to pass this test.

Absinthe

Arcane
TOME, frankly, I disagree about earning points with a failed attempt. If we go with Yunzi, we're exposing her as the holy maiden. Unless we win, we'll be in shit. If we manage to fail by killing a person (as treave disclosed is possible), then we'll be in deep shit.

When it comes to scoring the most cult points, I think the point difference is negligible.

Baltika9

Arcane
And if we either win or forfeit honorably out of fear of killing someone, we score massive brownie points for the Cult. I'm in this for True Wuv and PR.

Absinthe

Arcane
And if you want to win and avoid killing people, then Armaiti is a better choice. This isn't where you prove your love. Save that for the rematch against the duo. Lets not forget we also get access to the Shaolin library by winning. Those are some serious perks.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
And if we go with Armaiti then we expose her as a amesha spenta. And that's much harder to explain away as the holy maiden would be.

Baltika9

Arcane
Knowing your own limits and not being a power-hungry douche counts for a lot in Shaolin.

Absinthe

Arcane
TOME, Armaiti wasn't even part of the battle against the eight sects. And her fighting style is much more respectable to Shaolin. At any rate, we'd be in it to win.

Baltika9, you know what counts for more? Proving yourself and winning. Except Yunzi isn't the right choice for that.

Baltika9

Arcane
They haven't faced this Armaiti, but her predecessor was also an Amesha of Earth. As a master of fact, the names of our Ameshas are titles of the six helpers of Ahura Mazda, each responsible for a separate domain. treave, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the "names" of our Ameshas are actually their titles as described in the Avesta.
Edit: also, what is Yunzi's END score?

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Even if they recognize her (which is certainly possible), there wouldn't be as much bad blood with her as with Yunzi.

Baltika9

Arcane
Right now, the whole orthodox side treats them as EVUL FIER KOOLT WITCHES! The only way to disprove them is to show honorable conduct on our part. Yunzi's participation will make it even better, since she is the second de-facto leader of the Cult.

Absinthe

Arcane
Right, honorable conduct. When we're concerned about the possibility of Yunzi accidentally killing people in the challenge.

When it comes to it, Armaiti is the best pick to win the challenge and even losing with her would be better than losing with Yunzi. For an honorable loss, Armaiti is more respectable than Yunzi here.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
What do you have against Yunzi? One quote from the update that involves Yunzi's strategy when fighting alone? How is it relevant to this situation?

Baltika9

Arcane
And by 'we' you of course mean 'you.' Jing has a higher chance of killing someone in there than she does. Her only actually lethal moves are Rob's "lol I win" strike. Last I checked, none of her trainers were on our LORD's level of murdertastic.
We're starting to go in circles again.

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
are you willing to flop considering that Armaiti has better moves tailored for these challenges and higher endurance to last all the way?

Sorry but I am going to stick with B5. I like Armaiti as a choice but not as much as Yunzi.

I prefer Yunzi's more diverse skillset to be honest and I would rather double down on what we are good at then try to cover some of our weaknesses with a partner we have never fought a serious battle with yet. Jing and Yunzi are at least each familiar with how the other moves and thinks and I am confident that, that will yield better results than two fighters that are unfamiliar with one another.

I would rather have time to get familiar with Armaiti's techniques before we try doing something like this with her.

I am also not really worried about killing someone unless we go in there with actual killing intent (which I am very much against for now) and I have no real problem injuring (or even seriously injuring) some of the monks. If they don't want to get hurt or think they can not win then they can always bow out honourably once we demonstrate our strength. It should also help that we have the most skilled physician in the setting on hand to patch people up.

(I am also a little reluctant to turn Armaiti's earth abilities loose in the middle of the Shaolin temple. I have a feeling that when she says she can shake things up she literally means shaking things up. I would prefer to keep property damage to a minimum. I imagine the abbot will not be too happy if we level half the temple... ;) )

Absinthe

Arcane
TOME, I have two things against Yunzi here. First, this quote from treave:
Not really, no. They might end up killing someone instead.
Our #1 candidate for doing this is Yunzi.

Second, she does not have the endurance to last through all the fights.

Armaiti is better on both fronts, so my question is: Why do you insist on going with Yunzi?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom