Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
I disagree here. If it's just Jing, he can use his qi leeching to keep himself going challenge after challenge.

But with Yunzi we won't have that option.

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
I disagree here. If it's just Jing, he can use his qi leeching to keep himself going challenge after challenge.

That is where we disagree really. I do not see Jing making it through all five rounds with the leeching. If the early rounds drag on too long I think we will simply be too tired to defeat the abbot which is why I am putting everything on speed and strength.

Crush them quick and move on quickly before we burn out.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hm, frankly speaking, I do see him lasting. Because when he finishes a round, he can just spend a bit of time leeching his unconscious/etc. opponents to recover his strength back to full. We even went out of our way to improve qi leeching, so yes I expect it to be useful.

What makes you think he won't be able to do that?

As for putting everything on speed and strength, how do you expect to reconcile that with the whole "avoid options that can result in killing opponents?"

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not sure how to write that scene.

"Guys just hold on a bit and watch as I do something very unorthodox and drain the qi from your friends after I bludgeon them into a coma kthx?"

Edit: not to say that it can't come into play for endurance purposes, just that it won't be used the way you're imagining it.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
What makes you think he won't be able to do that?

I think the monks will not take kindly to our draining their defeated members. If we try I think they will object to the practice. I can't be certain of course but it seems like the sort of thing they would frown upon.

As such I think the only leeching we will be able to do is while our enemies are fighting back. On the sly so to speak.

Nevermind. What treave said.

Still if they do let us drain their people (or even let us drain our people) in between rounds then we should be able to recharge our partner (whoever that is) as well. Even in the smallest group fight we will have nine targets to drain upon victory which should be enough to recharge

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm not sure how to write that scene.

"Guys just hold on a bit and watch as I do something very unorthodox and drain the qi from your friends after I bludgeon them into a coma kthx?"
:lol: Honestly, all it needs is a MTP grin and that sounds about right.

Edit: not to say that it can't come into play for endurance purposes, just that it won't be used the way you're imagining it.
Er, do we get breaks between challenges to recover, etc.?

Recharging our partner increases the burden and time issues significantly.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What I mean is that they aren't likely to stand there and let you do it. You're pretty much attacking someone after they've been clearly defeated if you pull that sort of stunt. More likely it spurs the temple to cancel the trial and come down on your head. During the fight is fine.

And as for break time, that's up to the challenger. The only time limit given is that incense. He can take as long between stages as he wants.

Absinthe

Arcane
Ah, but while the challenge is on it's just the two of us? Or can we take a moment and get medical attention from Cao'er, leech our buddies, etc.? Actually, would we even need to leech our buddies or could they just channel qi into us?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, you aren't supposed to meet up with the others. Just the two of you.

Or one of you, if A wins.

Oh yeah, that stick of incense is estimated to burn for at least 7 hours. You won't exactly be pressed for time.

Absinthe

Arcane
So we can't reasonably expect to leech enough for the both of us. Jing can just leech for himself during the fight and anything he pushes to Yunzi will cost him. Presumably they could rest a bit, recover some of their strength, and administer some medical skills between fights though.

I think this makes a stronger argument for teaming with Armaiti, to be honest.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Nope. 7 hours at minimum is enough for five challenges unless we get maimed/seriously injured.

Absinthe

Arcane
You're overlooking the bit where Yunzi does not have a high endurance or qi leeching to pull through all five challenges.

Treave, what is Yunzi's endurance?

Tribute

Arbiter
I am thinking Armaiti is a better plan.

We should pick Yunzi for something more romantic than this.

Absinthe

Arcane
Facing the Yuanyang Hudie Dream technique from Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai together, of course. You do realize that when we let them go, we also signed ourselves up for a rematch? Yunzi would be the right one there.

Absinthe

Arcane
No, but it is some strange technique that requires true love to beat, so it's plenty romantic.

And these odds aren't impossible either, unless you pick the wrong people for the task.

Baltika9

Arcane
Bullshit. We broke it already, it's not romantic anymore. We gotta step our game up now and conquer the loyalty of all four BRO sects with true wuv.

Absinthe

Arcane
We only managed to break it that time because You Lanhai hesitated against Yifang. I'm going to guess that won't work in a rematch. In fact, in the rematch they would probably use that technique from the start.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eight hours and two pages later, not a single new thing was said. Must be the work of a true master.

But there is a request to see the list of Yunzi's and Armaiti's techniques to add more fuel to baseless speculation. :lol:

I imagine that, once revealed, it would be totes obvious that Yunzi will kill everyone with her moves, Jing included, and die from exhaustion (because FIRE and DESTRUCTION), failing the trial at a 76.534% probability, while Armaiti will bring prosperity and happiness with each pass of her hand (because EARTH and FERTILITY), succeeding unconditionally.

:avatard:

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Facing the Yuanyang Hudie Dream technique from Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai together, of course. You do realize that when we let them go, we also signed ourselves up for a rematch? Yunzi would be the right one there.

Yeah, and I'm sure that Yunzi will be right there, delighted to fight with us, after we've blown her off twice like that after she was so "eager". Maybe she'll get sick of Jing's shit and find a man who isn't such a clueless idiot and possible HOMOTIGER after this. I hear Zhang Manxing is single.

I'm formally flopping to B5 in case I wake up to ten more pages of bitter, polarizing DISCUSS!!! and true love is stifled yet again, with Armaiti winning by one vote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom