Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Current tally:

A - 8
B - 0
C - 10

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why are there so many A votes? Let's not blow our load on the first challenge, we can't even replenish qi from these things and we're very likely to be injured.
This is just wood. A dangerous, spiked, barbed, armed-to-the-teeth wood, indeed, but they are simple machines - deadly, but predictable. I can't expect Jing to lose or receive an injury to those. Not to say that it's safe - it is reckless - but it would be just... wrong if we fall here. How can we expect to face a living opponent if we can't handle a bunch of mannequins?

Besides, these devices are perhaps the only stage of the trial where we can unleash our whole strength without fear of hurting anyone.

I get the desire to proceed carefully, but let's not pretend we chose to partner with Armaiti who would be alright with that. Splitting up with Yunzi is something I am unwilling to do for everyone's sake, and she won't wait for us. We chose the most aggressive team, and I guess going all out would be playing to our strengths here.

The challenge is dangerous. All of the choices might backfire in a way we didn't entirely predict. Maybe it's time to go with gut feelings instead of logic.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave,

I motion we tell Yunzi not to rush ahead. As the Fire Lord, we should be able to sway her.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
C - This will earn us the most respect from the monks. We will need in case we can't complete all the challenges. And quite frankly, I don't like the idea of a race when we are supposed to be working together.

Absinthe

Arcane
Can we just admit defeat to her on this floor right now and ask her to please stick around?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Xu Jing? Admitting defeat? :lol:

Maybe she'd listen if she had been picked in that last duel with Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai. She was really disappointed at the time.

Anyway, you don't need her sticking around if you're taking C. The more she beats up on her own, the easier it gets for you.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yunzi isn't like that. Everything is a competition for her, so unless we break her will and turn her into a battered housewife, she'll stay that way.

Absinthe

Arcane
Well if we pick C only a retard would expect to win that race. So yes, call it how it is.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's a race that won't stop just because either of you make it across the room. Given their natures, it's going to be a race to the top.

Absinthe

Arcane
So treave, what happened to Wuxiang Qiankun? I suppose we didn't get to copy any moves that would be good for this challenge? Considering there are no witnesses, this is a perfectly good stage to use it.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, it would make sense to have a slower start, then catch up with her later and overtake her when she is out of steam... Still, that's not how I imagined this test would go.

Kipeci

Arcane
The stuff is predictable... if we take the time to notice the patterns and make a path to avoid the worst of it. That option is C, however. Going with A we don't have any benefit from their inherent lack of creativity as we're essentially taking on 72 heavily armed dudes at once with wood for a body.

A is just an EXTREME!!! button the way I see it. B makes much more sense for keeping up with Yunzi and getting through unharmed.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So treave, what happened to Wuxiang Qiankun? I suppose we didn't get to copy any moves that would be good for this challenge? Considering there are no witnesses, this is a perfectly good stage to use it.

No technique that's going to help you progress faster with C here. The best path is preset and you'll still have to fight your way through it, there's just less resistance. You already have enough techniques to help with that one, as proven by the mass of REIKAN + ORDER votes in the preceding pages.

Absinthe

Arcane
Kipeci, for B, our qinggong is 6. If you could pass the challenge with only 6 qinggong this would be too easy. I suppose order mode can supplement our qinggong by letting us pick out better footing. Incidentally, treave, how come we can't we copy her qinggong? I notice it gave boosts to our own qinggong and her neigong is definitely below ours.

Nevill

Arcane
The stuff is predictable... if we take the time to notice the patterns and make a path to avoid the worst of it. That option is C, however. Going with A we don't have any benefit from their inherent lack of creativity as we're essentially taking on 72 heavily armed dudes at once with wood for a body.
They are predictable in a sense that they are inherently inferior to a living opponent. They don't do feints, they don't fight in a formation, they don't dodge your blows. That's what makes it doable.

Still, wouldn't want to go all 'it will totes be fine' on you. It is risky. But it is a risk we are well-suited to take.

Kipeci

Arcane
Kipeci, for B, our qinggong is 6. If you could pass the challenge with only 6 qinggong this would be too easy. I suppose order mode can supplement our qinggong by letting us pick out better footing. Incidentally, treave, how come we can't we copy her qinggong? I notice it gave boosts to our own qinggong and her neigong is definitely below ours.
I'm on mobile now, I can't reply in full.

Anyway, this isn't all just a numbers game, you know? Jing has very decent qinggong, rather ridiculous agility, and on top of that a set of techniques entirely based around absurdly high jumping skills and aerial combat. Just saying 'qinggong is nit x points high so the numbers don't work' doesn't take into account other factors going for it. At any rate, conditions in the air look much better than those on the ground, particularly if Yunzi is a bit ahead due to her slightly higher agility.

I'm going to make a flop to B>C, Nevill's right that we should probably be a little aggressive in keeping up with her.

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci, I hate to use numbers in the argument, too, but these concerns have something from the update to support them:
Yunzi makes short, nimble hops from mannequin to mannequin, steadily progressing across the room. Still, you recall the blood spatters on the ceiling, and it doesn’t take long before your suspicions are confirmed. One of the mannequins makes a sudden turn, swinging its weapons upwards instead. With a surprised yell, Yunzi hops back. The ones behind are have also begun attacking vertically, the reach of their weapons passing dangerously close to Yunzi. Gasping, she zig-zags her way over the tops of the flailing mannequins, hopping as if her life depended on it.
Yunzi had to flee for her life, and it took all she had to get out of a bad spot. Granted, she failed in the same way we did when she went unprepared, but it demonstrates that if she ever miscalculates again, she'll probably be able to avoid the worst of it. Since our ability with qinggong is less developed, we might not be so lucky.

It is not about 6 in qinggong being 'bad'. It is about the fact that this trial is a worthy challenge for someone who is clearly better at this method than we are.

This is why I am hesitant to parrot her solution. While it might be correct for her, it might not work for us. She is trying to analyze the movements of the dummies, but it is not guaranteed we'll be able to follow her path. We've seen it already with Chi Qilin:
“Well then, let’s do it!” You throw yourself off the steps and aim for the nearest tree. As you land on the bamboo, you kick off – it bends a lot more than it did for Qilin, where it had barely budged. As a result, your subsequent leap is unstable. You gain less height than you had hoped.

Angling for the nearest rock, you decide to use an alternate path; your qinggong won’t be graceful enough to follow Qilin’s exact route. You stick close to the cliff, skirting the side of the gorge as you make small leaps from outcrop to outcrop quickly. As you reach the final stretch, you realize that you are out of footholds to get you closer. It would be embarrassing to get stuck up here. You leap upwards, using your Shouwang Claws to help the climb until you find yourself hanging from a rock.

There, this height should be sufficient. Concentrating on your feet, you kick off from the rock wall and make a powerful leap away from the cliff. You soar through the sky. The jump brings you a good distance across the gorge, clearing almost half of its width. Making an agile somersault in mid-air, you flip around and land on your feet, albeit a little heavily. You’ve made it.

When you look up, Qilin is laughing at you. “What was that all about? You took almost as long as it would have to just follow the steps!”
But here we'll have much less room to maneuver, and the situation is far more dangerous.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
C - This will earn us the most respect from the monks. We will need in case we can't complete all the challenges. And quite frankly, I don't like the idea of a race when we are supposed to be working together.

The monks will respect us if we don't hurt or kill their brothers. I don't think that their strict religious principles forbid them from performing vicious, brutal murders on a bunch of dolls, so this won't bother them. I mean, I get the arguments for C - it's safe, and that this trial is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't want to blow your load so soon. But I think it's best if we do this challenge as a team, and right now, that means staying on pace. And when it comes to Yunzi, the best way to work as a team is to make her think you're about to beat her.

A is just an EXTREME!!! button the way I see it. B makes much more sense for keeping up with Yunzi and getting through unharmed.

Well, I'm not so sure it lacks creativity. Tearing up these dummies and avoiding their blows, then finding a new solution that the creator never intended for seems pretty creative, no? But all jokes aside, yeah, it's EXTREME, but we're an EXTREME team. And I'd rather remain a team than get split apart because our solution took to much time. This challenge is just going to get harder, and I'd rather have both of us on pace, working together (while simultaneously trying to beat each other).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom