Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    C will work just fine imo. If they catch on to us and stop using their neigong during the fight to prevent qi leeching then they will be far more vulnerable to our normal attacks anyway.

^ Top  
  2. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Doing things the "easy" way hasn't really been conducive to making friends. Yunzi is well and truly pissed off at us (not tsundere, "n-not that I like you or anything!" pissed off, I mean actually pissed off) and you aren't really going to get much respect from Shaolin by looking for loopholes around their challenge and taking the path of least resistance every goddamn time. If you truly want Shaolin's respect, you have to take your lumps and keep enduring. Win or lose, that's worthy of respect. I have a feeling that Yunzi's earned that respect, and Jing hasn't. treave, have they learned that Yunzi is the Fire Cult's Holy Maiden at this point?

It might not be the smartest option, but Jing is completely fresh, and I want to do things in a way that actually respects the spirit of this competition rather than to come out of all this completely unscathed. Personally, I don't give a fuck about revealing Wuxiang Qiankun, I don't think that really matters because (a) the Shaolin are bros, and (b) earning their friendship and allying with them makes up for the fact that the rest of the world will know.

I'm just more interested in doing this the "hard" way to honor the spirit of martial arts, as Shaolin likely intended. Though, of course, I'm not quite sure if we'll win or if doing a complete 180 in our approach is particularly wise right now. Maybe I'm butthurt, but fuck easy mode.

A > B

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I don't doubt that C will work, but it's horrible for Shaolin Diplomacy.

^ Top  
  4. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    A

I like the way Jing thinks in A. We are unarmed monster at such young age and student to Zhang Jue to boot. Unarmed is our forth, pride and our primary way of dealing with problems.

This is also good way to test ourself and gain valuable experience , even if it's the hardest way.

Come on guys! Our pride and reputation as unarmed fighter is on the line and I shall not let it be tainted by vampirism or copycat technique.

^ Top  
  5. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Yeah, it'll work just fine - we'll progress unto the next stage by using a cheap strategy, we'll have enough qi in us to match or even exceed the Abbot, and we'll be able to replicate his techniques with Wuxiang Qiankun once we fight him. It's the perfectly sensible, logical strategy that will dishonor the spirit of the challenge and ensure that Shaolin grudgingly gives us the title of honorary Shaolin monk because we managed to find enough loopholes to win this thing in the cheapest way possible. Congratulations, you won... I guess.

^ Top  
  6. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    C>B

Just because it seems like the best choice, doesn't mean it isn't. I would prefer to save our repertoire moves for the Abbott since we won't be able to do B shenanigans at all, or C shenanigans easily.

Can you explain to me why you think qi-draining is dishonourable? Why is it dishonourable? It doesn't seem to go against any of the Orthodox rules. Hell, even Wudu poison qi attacks are perfectly valid under such an honour system. treave, am I missing something here?

^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    'Take pride in our own skills and techniques...'

Well damn, now I have to go with A.

Honour demands it.

It might be stupid, it might be wasteful, but we have a lot to make up for with our earlier shameful performance (admittedly not that shameful really, at least from Shaolin's perspective). The Shaolin deserve an honest fight so that is what I will vote for.

A.

Baltika9 has convinced me. Best to save our moves for the abbot and have our honourable fight then.

B.

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Most likely, after what she did in the Arhat fight. They're just not letting it interfere with the trial for now.

And, eh, Yunzi isn't that angry, just butthurt and feeling a bit humiliated. She can't exactly complain since she was the one that chose to run ahead by herself. She'll probably just confront Jing later to settle her dissatisfaction.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm in it to win it, and going all out in A seems like the kind of thing that will blow or load right before the Abbot.
    I also don't see how defeating the Manneqiun Labyrinth, a seemingly impossible task, in the manner it was intended to be defeated is not honorable. Buddhism is all about balance, us taking the smart and balanced approach is more in keeping with the Buddha's teachings than what Yunzi did.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Yeah, seriously. C sounds too good, so you immediately dismiss it. It's still using our own martial arts technique, arguably more so than the stuff we learned from Zhang Jue and others since we worked it out by ourselves after witnessing the madman's method of qi-draining. There's no advantage to A, and the other two options aren't dishonourable. It's not like we're spiking the contestants' food with laxatives or anything. We're using Jianghu skills.

A sounds like an entirely knee jerk reaction at disappointing the Codex's waifu.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, it's not a good thing to steal what others have cultivated, but as long as you're not using it in a manner that makes it permanent theft, it's only at the level of being mildly disagreeable. It's not going to wow them, but they won't exactly bay for your blood either, if you aren't abusing it on helpless people.

It will draw attention though. It's not a common ability, and most manual sources for learning this are downright vicious ones, like telling you to devour live puppies to gain the ability. That's not the case for you but a flagrant use like this will definitely raise questions you may have to deal with later on. Ditto for B though.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Exactly, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying that it's not the best choice for Shaolin Diplomacy. And some that is what we're here to do, I'd rather not screw it up by being a giant douchenozzle.

^ Top  
  14. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Who cares, the snotty brat has pissed ME off long ago, time to rein in her, for real.

Actually this was the best, we trolled both Yunzi and the monks, truly worth of Man Tiger Pig.
    How about NOT taking a companion to begin with, I hope you voted against that else your complaining is quite out of place.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Esquilax, there was nothing cheap in defeating the labyrinth in a way the maker intended, so there is no 180 on our part.

I am on a mobile now, so can't really argue, but I'll be voting A. Sometimes honest way is the best way.

Wuxiang Qiankun is not the automatic win, either. Do remember that the Elders are individually weaker than you, and we can't copy all of their techniques - particularly the defensive ones. You might just downgrade yourself to their level or worse, though you will eventually win if you mix their techs with yours.

^ Top  
  16. profreshinal Arcane

profreshinal
    B

We should use our best moves here. There's also a benefit in showing WQS and demonstrating we have perfect control over it. If Jing can showcase that then we have a good case for Xuzhan. If one person can control it there's no reason why someone else wouldn't be able to learn control it also.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. tropic Scholar

tropic
    B

Without WQS we are roughly equal to Yunzi, and even though she was tired for the 9 elders fight, it was still a "maybe."

B gives us the edge we need to guarantee victory.

C seems risky as we have never done any mass-qi-leeching and unnecessary as we are still fresh.

We can resort to qi-leeching in the 1v1 abbot fight to weaken his defense and restore our energy.

^ Top  
  18. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
    Edit: Flopped in a later post.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  19. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
  20. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    C. This is how we improve our leeching ability and neigong, plus we will show up in an even better condition against the abbot. The possibility of a neigong boost here is too good to pass up on. A higher neigong means Jing can use Wuxiang Qiankun against many more people. At any rate, for the time being it should enable us to use Wuxiang Qiankun on the abbot, which is worth far more than the nine elders.

If we could absorb the entire divine flame in the fire temple before blowing up in divine flame apotheosis, then I think C is well within our abilities. As for A, that's just stupid. Even if we beat the 9 venerable shaolin elders, we wont make it past the abbot if we do A.

Gentlemen, remember treave:
    This is a good opportunity. Don't waste it.

^ Top  
  21. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Isn't it a bad idea to perform a legendary technique in front of someone who stated that the world would be better without them and has a particular hatred and mistrust toward those that use them?

I'll go A>C

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    Profreshinal and Baltika9 arguments are convincing. Voting B.

^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Rex Feral, if Yunzi is not confident she could take on the nine elders in her full condition, I think it's reckless of Jing to try do it. Problem being, even if we succeed at clearing the nine elders, we cannot face the abbot after we weaken ourselves this much.

ChumBucket, if we pass with C now, we can use Wuxiang Qiankun against the abbot on the next floor because our ownj neigong will be higher. You're forgetting something here: Even if B (Wuxiang Qiankun) improves our abilities, we still burn our strength using it. C is the only option that leaves us in a better condition. With B we will leave the fight more drained, but with a wider arsenal. With A we will leave the fight in a severely weakened condition, if we even get past it.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Finally, a keyboard!

Kz3r0, I believe this argument to be a fallacy - if we would have gone alone, the same argument could be made about the fact that we would have earned more respect if we did it blindfolded or with arms tied behind our back. Why would we put ourselves at a disadvantage willingly? It is not like we've found a loophole in the rules - the Abbott himself offered us to take a partner. There is nothing that says we can't earn respect now that we've taken a companion, as we are acting in full adherence with Shaolin rules here and doing is the way it was intended. It is still an impossible feat that everyone have failed at achieving so far.

I don't really have a preferrence of what wins here, but it is mostly a matter of pride to me. I share Shaolin's distaste for cheating forbidden techniques, and I have confidence in Jing's own strength, especially now that we've managed to save it.

I want to take this challenge as it was meant to be taken - martial arts against martial arts, and no cheap moves.

Then again, we have Xuxian's fate to think about in case of our defeat, so I am not all too sure about anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.