Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, are the Emei sect expected to attend the tournament? Are they even considered in the Eight Major Sects.

Sects and Techniques

Sects
The Eight Major Orthodox Sects:

Shaolin Temple
Renowned as the originator of martial arts in the Central Plains, the Buddhist monks of Shaolin are known for their ability with unarmed fighting and staves. Some of the most powerful martial arts can be found in Shaolin. However, they have extremely strict rules, and frequently expel those who cannot abide by their laws.
Leader: Abbot Fangzhang

Wudang Sect
The Taoist priests on Mount Wudang have developed techniques based around Taiji. Harmonizing yin and yang, Wudang emphasizes mastery of balance as its initiates learn how to redirect the flow of their opponent’s attacks. Sword and unarmed techniques are the staple of Wudang.
Leader: Wang Zhengchong

Emei Sect
The Mount Emei nuns are known for their strict observance of celibacy and pure thoughts. They specialize in the use of whips, swords and throwing weapons.

Kunlun Sect
Kunlun is known for its alchemy prowess and the staff formations of its disciples.

Huashan Sect
The noble swordsmen of Mount Hua have trained long and hard to develop their reputation as one of the most powerful sects in the pugilistic world. Their weapon techniques are malleable and flexible, and their masters are reputed to be lethal swordsmen even with a stick in hand. Though the sword is the sect’s main focus, they also dabble in sabers and spears. They appear to have a qinggong move that focuses on speedy footwork.

Taishan Sect
One of the oldest Taoist sects, they have a focus on swordplay and archery.

Qingcheng Sect
A major sect that once focused on Taoism, it has relaxed its rules recently and encouraged membership from all walks of life. Qingcheng Sect focuses on the sword, staff and unarmed techniques.

Beggars' Sect
The beggars are a widespread union that spans the entirety of the country. Beggars’ Sect members can be found in every city, and their information network is unmatched. You have to become a beggar to join. The Beggars’ Sect emphasizes staves, thrown weapons and unarmed fighting in their techniques.
Leader: Qi Liuwu

Falling Pine

“Well, m’boy… this here sword,” he whispers theatrically, “it’s an Emei treasure. You know, the nuns? I think it was stolen from them ages ago. They are going to –hic– hunt you down if they find out that the blade has re-emerged from hiding.”

Emei – one of the major orthodox sects. They only accept female disciples in their ranks and are regarded as one of the great powers, strong enough to rival Shaolin and Wudang. You grow slightly nervous.

Last edited:

kazgar

Arcane
The tournament isn't just open to the majors though is it, I mean we're invited. I assume we'll also run into our not bros from the songfeng school as well. Past actions catching up!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The major sects will have most of the participants, but there are a number of invites up for contest amongst the lesser schools.

...You could always pass your crest to some eager young fighter and coerce him to participate as the apprentice of the Southern Maniac.

Baltika9

Arcane
I love that idea, but the Emei will be able to call our bluff on that and us going incognito on 1A. They know who the apprentice is and, what's more, the young nun that came in the last update will probably be attending as well. You don't put a talentless rookie with such an experienced squad on a mission like that. She must be one of their top pupils to have earned that distinction.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That is why you wear a tiger mask and register yourself as Tigerman, only revealing enough so that the age restriction doesn't get you.

Besides, doesn't matter if it's found out halfway through. That's even lulzier for you.

edit: I'll be closing the votes in 5 hours.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
It's not only our looks, though, it's also our style. She saw us fight and she knows our tricks, Jing has a pretty unique style and the nuns aren't likely to forget it. As soon as they spot our moves, they'll know it's us. Although I'm not sure if she'll start talking, or if Jing played a "devil that needs saving" well enough that she'll keep quiet and confront us first. In any event, we won't be able to bluff oyr way through the tournament completely in 1A. Secrecy Bros, flop to 1B.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How the hell do you go incognito in 1A?

- I am Tigerman, no school specified.
- Hmmm... He doesn't mention his school, must be unorthodox. *Checks the list of unorthodox participants, where Jing is the only entry*

- I am Tigerman, of the name-I-pulled-out-of-my-ass school.
- We never sent an invitation to that school and never heard of it. You must be lying. Thus unorthodox.

- I am Tigerman, of the one-of-the-invited schools.
*Disciple of the said school* - Nope, don't know this dude. Must be lying.

Unless you really steal someone's identity by abduction/murder (which is going full renegade), I just don't see it.

LWC1996 said:
Next, you say that you might be able to pursue the lead while on your way to the monasteries. Let’s say you are right. What is stopping you from doing that by obtaining the lead AFTER the tournament, and doing the pursuing then? You lose what, a month or two at the most off the investigation?
We always assume we will have time later. "Why do you need info on the swords, can't you read that in a book after you are a fellow?" Then Zhang shows up and it turns out that no, you can't.

We need to start somewhere, and this is our first chance in 2 years.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The registration is walk-in. You walk in with the crest, you register your name.

They don't have a pre-established list of attendees.

They only give the invites to the Eight Sects. The rest of the invites are given out via smaller competitions, as mentioned in the update.

Not everyone with a crest can make it to the competition for various reasons. Given the national scale, the general unrest and the era we're talking about, some of the crests are bound to go missing.

But, eh, putting your crest to good use if you're not using it is highly advisable in 1B, if it wins. That was more of what I was implying anyway.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
We had the option to follow the woman in black lead back at the manor. We chose swords and our qi instead.Whether that was a good decision is debatable.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
They don't have a pre-established list of attendees. They only give the invites to the Eight Sects. The rest of the invites are given out via smaller competitions, as mentioned in the update.
But they do know which schools get their invitations, right? Via competitions, I mean.

What I am worried about is this bit:
Don't participants declare their name and the school they came from?

Yes, the orthodox participants declare it proudly and do not lie about it. They are fighting for both their personal honour and that of their school, after all.

treave said:
But, eh, putting your crest to good use if you're not using it is highly advisable in 1B, if it wins. That was more of what I was implying anyway.
Can we find some poor bloke desperate enough for glory to participate under the name of the Southern Maniac's apprentice? That would throw our opposition off the scent. But then again, there is Emei. :/

Edit: and that was treave's idea all along. I need to read more carefully next time.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
That is why you wear a tiger mask and register yourself as Tigerman, only revealing enough so that the age restriction doesn't get you.

Besides, doesn't matter if it's found out halfway through. That's even lulzier for you.

edit: I'll be closing the votes in 5 hours.

In other words...

Mighty_Mask_vs_18.jpg

Alright, AB. I think there's plenty of time to check out Yuhua Hall inbetween what will no doubt be a lot of traveling to get to the 8 challenges, though the same could be said about Yao and Cao'er. I'm pretty sure that whichever we choose, we will learn, fight, screw up, etc. in some way that affects what we do in the tournament...but it's hard to fathom what that might be precisely enough.

As for the tournament, again I'm very borderline, but it might indeed be interesting to lose after a couple of rounds; even if we don't find out to much it will at least put other people's guard off when we start to challenge them.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
But they do know which schools get their invitations, right?

Unless it's one of the major schools, they can't be certain who won the multiple qualifying competitions and have the crests. There are some famous young fighters with renowned, wandering teachers that regularly participate (nicer versions of the Southern Maniac), these will be noted and followed. People will also pay attention to the Eight Sects' participants.

But there's plenty of schools even less recognizable than Songfeng around, and no one keeps track of them all. These are really the fodder, sent to fill out the spaces and for the better ones to build up their confidence on. The registrar has been rather lax with these participants, since they're not important and no one expects them to get into the final elimination stage. They're around to get beaten up and to show how much better the Eight Sects are - it's not official policy, but that is how things have become.

Of course, if you appear as the Southern Maniac's apprentice, expect everyone's eyes to be on you. Getting trained by a Great Pugilist personally is an extremely rare thing.

Of the other Greats, the Shaolin Abbot and Wudang Grand Taoist are more grandmasters, and thus most of the young and rising stars at the competition would have been trained by masters who are students of the grandmasters. And the Beggars rarely bother with the competition proper, preferring to make money begging at the ringside rather than fighting.

Can we find some poor bloke desperate enough for glory to participate under the name of the Southern Maniac's apprentice? That would throw our opposition off the scent. But then again, there is Emei. :/

Well, they can't conclusively prove that the Southern Maniac only has one apprentice either (who knows what that madman is really doing?), or that his apprentices all don't have the same name, so all they get out of this is that you are a trolling asshole. :lol:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
So, then, a question to those who chose 1A.

How are we going to introduce ourselves to our opponents? Registering is one thing, but what do we do once the fight starts? An orthodox is expected to state their school, as this is their pride and honor to belong to one. What do we say?

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, they can't conclusively prove that the Southern Maniac only has one apprentice either (who knows what that madman is really doing?), or that his apprentices all don't have the same name, so all they get out of this is that you are a trolling asshole. :lol:
'K, let's do it. I'm loving this idea.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It'll be easier with 1B. With 1A you'll have to procure another crest if you want to both compete and send someone else in.

Come on people - vote for 2B. I want to find out what happen to Yao and Cao'er. Where are those two weirdos, what have they been doing since we left them, did Cao'er already pass that test or does she need our help? We can work out the debt to Yao and he can help us, both with medicine and advice on how to best handle our opponents - especially important for 1B voters, we would need a master to help us analyze our opponents if we are only spectating.

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
[...]especially important to 1B voters
Funny you should say that. How do you see 1B winning?

*Sigh*. I should have known that the only way to play ninja at the 'Dex is to be a Highly Visible Ninja. We'll end up an unholy hybrid between Boshen and Minsc.

"None shall see me... THOUGH MY BATTLECRIES MAY GIVE ME AWAY!!!"

Last edited:
Zero Credibility said:
[...]especially important to 1B voters
Funny you should say that. How do you see 1B winning?
Well, I don't at this point, but if people are going to vote 1B then 2B makes sense because:
You could hang around the audience area, take notes, watch them fight, but unless you get lucky and manage to find some elder pugilist standing next to you to serve as a plot device, you're just going to get less information than you would have by taking the risk of participating and actually hanging around the fighters when they're not fighting.

Baltika9

Arcane
Look, we took 1B in the last update to make Jing a more cunning and reserved fighter, going anonymously* is very in-character for that. I could see the 1C or 1D choices going to participate directly, the first one for his theatrics and charisma and the second one for the fighting (we could have played off a dumb brute rather easily), but not this more cunning version of Jing. With all the feints and tricks available to us, plus the anonymous cover, we can really troll a lot of the contestants and learn so much about them through using our sneaking skills and putting a stunt-double out there to gauge their reactions to Zhang's "apprentice" that we'll come out with a decent amount of knowledge and they'll have shit-nothing.

LWC1996, you are right that I want to keep them out of danger and your again right that I want to get this shit settled ASAP. We procrastinated enough as it is, all the meanwhile that psycho is out at large in the world (corrupting all the young girls with her ridiculous teachings about betrayal; how will build our harem with that? She's our ultimate nemesis!), and she is a threat to Shun, whom I also worry for since he's our first, one and only BRO. There is also the fact that our Scholarbro went there before we parted ways, which means there's a good chance we may into him. So, yes, I'm sticking with 2B, because I'm a Mother Hen.
'sway better than hiding under teacups, strictly speaking.
Sadly, we're not Fighter-Jing, we must act appropriately and play to ours strengths, otherwise it's us who's going to get played.

Kipeci

Arcane
Look, we took 1B in the last update to make Jing a more cunning and reserved fighter, going anonymously* is very in-character for that.

I say we took it to augment his natural speed in the swift combat specialties he has in unarmed fighting and stabbing with swords, in addition to being somewhat more perceptive of the tricks of his enemies. Able to dodge the blows of his foes even while analyzing them, he will be better at absorbing information from them in a straight up fight. See how that works?

I detest stealthy spy shenanigans as banal, at least with this character.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh trust me man, I'm as pissed as you are and my butt will be sore for a long while about that. To explain how I feel:

But we can't let our personal desires to get in the way of what makes sense, and for the this Jing, it's 1B.
I detest stealthy spy shenanigans as banal, at least with this character.
Sorry man, that's the name of the game that will work for us. We must also consider his mental state (trolololing) as well as his physical state now. 1B plays to that perfectly and makes sense in the context. We must capitalize on all our strengths, this dude has shifted to a more "tactical" level, as opposed to a "confrontational" one, it only makes sense for us to take advantage of that. This tournament is absolutely not our goal, our goal is beating them in their schools in the most humiliating manner possible. That means turning the flow of information that Esquilax so perfectly described to our advantage.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
There is also the fact that our Scholarbro went there before we parted ways, which means there's a good chance we may into him.
No. No, we may not, and will not into him. The Harem King must draw a line somewhere.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The whorehouse can't move and is terribly unlikely to be destroyed. The same can't be said for Master Yao and Cao'er. Choose 2B, people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom