Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Jester

Arbiter
AB

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Jing is not satisfied because it feels like Fangci was still holding back something, you get limited access to the library, matters of the Summit and sword conference are better discussed in the context of whether you reveal yourself as Fire Lord, if at all.

Also, no records of monks controlling themselves (or not) since it's all been expunged, but how well Shaolin can control him isn't the real point of B since you aren't leaving him in Shaolin to practice the skill under guidance, but to take a break from using it and do something else instead of being too focused on the skill.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

BA
Mr%20T.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Baltika9
link

edit: *sigh*
see, BA is the first part of his name, so I did a thing where I posted his picture and...aw, forget it...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
But she didn't, she failed at the fourth stage, and you're the primary challenger.

Fangshi

Arcane
treave said:
But she didn't, she failed at the fourth stage, and you're the primary challenger.

If she had failed/been beaten why was she allowed to fight the abbot? Just trying to get a grasp on their thought process.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Bx

I want to be truthful with Shaolin, but I'm fine with either choice for Mr. Laser Finger. Abstaining from second choice unless a compelling argument either way is forthcoming.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Because she's the support, not the primary challenger, and you gave her the means to continue at a cost to yourself.

Look, you're not supposed to think too much into a test even the monks themselves acknowledge is bullshit. Just take what they offer and be content.

Fangshi

Arcane
treave said:
Look, you're not supposed to think too much into a test even the monks themselves acknowledge is bullshit. Just take what they offer and be content.

I really like these monks. :lol:

Will do.:salute:

Absinthe

Arcane
Huh, if it's like that, I guess one of these days Yunzi will probably make her own challenge and we'll be the support.

We totally used her. :lol:

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Except Xuxian is a different person with his own personality and quirks apart from Fangzhang and Wang. It's not really what we want, it's what would be best for him and his development. And honestly, I think that making him into a whoring, alcoholic degenerate would be terrible for his self-discipline and control. :lol:

Indeed. We must heed the wisdom of Big Wang's last words, passed down to us from Lord Zhang:

“I would have expected you to demand that I reach the same answer as you, Master,” you said.

“You are not me,” he replied. “Your adventures out in the world have showed me that much.” He paused, before continuing. “I encountered Wang Zhengchong shortly before he fought the Fire Temple’s master.”

You grinned. “So that is why you are using this approach?”

Zhang only smiled sinisterly, looking down at you. “Come to your own conclusions about the path you must take.”

Xuxian is clearly not Jing, and I'm not sure the same adventurous approach would work for him as well. I think we ought to remember what got Xuxian into this predicament:

“And we have always denied it, because we thought we truly did not possess it. It was by mere luck that young Xuxian discovered those pages,” replied Fangci. “His first mistake was in not reporting it, and hiding it for himself. That is covetousness.”

Xuxian has no response for this – he seems to regret that action.

“I understand why he would do so,” continues the Abbot, his brows furrowed. “As a novice he was falling behind his brothers in martial prowess. But it was not the right thing to do, and that is the truth. His second mistake was in practicing the manual, and being unable to control its power. That lack of control will ruin him one day, and all those around him.”

“T-that’s not true, Abbot Fangci,” Xuxian says tremulously, “I’ve learnt to control it better now.”
...how well Shaolin can control him isn't the real point of B since you aren't leaving him in Shaolin to practice the skill under guidance, but to take a break from using it and do something else instead of being too focused on the skill.

I mean, is it really the best idea for a guy who barely managed to squeak past his trial to have his mind constantly on the manual search when he hasn't fully gotten a grip on using his abilities? I don't see why it's so necessary to rush the guy; yes, he'd be a big help with the Zhang Clan on our tail, but maybe he won't have issues with controlling his skills if he focuses on other matters for the time being.

Note: I'm not saying that Xuxian will definitely fall prey to the manual's effects if he comes with us (actually, it definitely seems like a lot of fun, and it would be nice to travel with a BRO) - I just think that letting him put his mind towards something that isn't "MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL" would be best for him in the long run. The root of all suffering is attachment, and perhaps occupying himself with other tasks will lessen the lingering attachment he still feels to the power he learned. He's almost ready, but I don't think almost is good enough. Give it some time.

Esquilax

Arcane
Jing is not satisfied because it feels like Fangci was still holding back something, you get limited access to the library, matters of the Summit and sword conference are better discussed in the context of whether you reveal yourself as Fire Lord, if at all.

Do people who are good friends of the Sect, such as Guo Fu, also get some sort of access to the Shaolin Library as well?

On an unrelated note, I think it's hilarious how we're trying to go legit here. Jing spent most of his time not giving a fuck at all about pissing off a lot of respectable and/or dangerous people, but now we're basically attempting to turn the Fire Temple of Gushnasp into an orthodox sect:

You reveal that you are the new Lord of the Fire Temple, and that you seek a friendship with Shaolin, whether unofficial or official, on behalf of your organization. You will attempt to broker an alliance, though it probably requires that you promise to conduct Fire Temple business in an upright, honourable manner.

It's a great start to our relationship, but we are definitely going to have to follow through on our end here. We'll pretty much have to be orthodontists in how we carry ourselves if we want to remain cool with Shaolin (and we most definitely do). Ahura's methods of trying to show everyone his dick was bigger obviously didn't work, but this might.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, his whole plan was to supplant all of the eight sects with his one group. With an approach like that, no wonder he failed. Nothing unites disparate groups like a common threat.
The bad thing is that he really screwed things up for us now. We really need to show how reformed the Cult and it's policies are nowadays and do it perfectly too. I think that there is a very certain line past which the sects won't give us any leeway thanks to our predecessor.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
All of you have limited access. Very limited access. You are, after all, an honorary member, not an honorary abbot.

Absinthe

Arcane
Oh yeah, speaking of all this, treave, do we get Honorary Member of Shaolin added to our titles? And is our orthodoxy actually going to rise for once?

By the way, how long can we stick around at Shaolin? We do have some access to the library now and Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai can't exactly fight us while we're still there, so it could be good for us to stick around and buy some time.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, you used Yunzi like a tool and pulled that qi draining stunt, so no orthodoxy rise. I'll add the title in. You can stay here until your wounds have recovered, but there's things to do. The sword conference is not too far away now so you'll be heading to Yangzhou after this on plot railroads.

edit: Also, promising to guide Yunzi/Xuxian/the Fire Temple is just that - a promise. Jing can always be half-arsed or no-arsed about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom