Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Xuezi picked it up from helping you with the meditation. She's not actually a real celestial immortal, with no magical bullshit fairy powers (beyond whatever magical bullshit fairy powers that pugilists get from qi).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Personally, I just have only one thing to add: we can't teach him the WQS quickly (even Ahura, with I AM GOD! levels of neiggong, took years to learn even the first step), so any 'balancing' that we will be doing for him will be purely as a role model/mentor.
Really?

I wonder what the fuss about teaching BJ was about, then, if we can't do it properly. :lol: In a course of a day, no less.

And Xuezi would probably disagree with you as well.
Bingo. Besides, there may be another way we could help him. Who knows? Otherwise, if we leave him, we may have just given him the "freedom" to go crazy in the near future, murder his fellow monks and end up with a death sentence.

Bottom line: The Abbot has zero idea of how to actually treat this guy. Look at what he did: he burnt the manual, judging it as wholly irredeemable because in his opinion, it WILL with almost all certainty drive the practitioner mad. Then his method of "treating" this bro was to lock him up for the rest of his life to pray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
Bottom line: The Abbot has zero idea of how to actually treat this guy. Look at what he did: he burnt the manual, judging it as wholly irredeemable because in his opinion, it WILL with almost all certainty drive the practitioner mad. Then his method of "treating" this bro was to lock him up for the rest of his life to pray.
Untrue. That would have been the case had we not intervened, but this is the outcome of 2B:
B. Xuxian will remain at the temple, but not in confinement. He should be accorded the same rights as any of the other monks. You think it would be better if he spends some time in the peaceful environments of Shaolin Temple, rather than going on another dangerous trip so soon. You can always visit him or seek his help later if you really need it.
We're basically making him a full Shaolin monk with extra attention paid to him. Fangci is all about not relying on the OP manuals and cultivating your own power and discipline, which, Xuxian being a Buddhist monk and all, I think would be better for him than our YOLOderping.

Fair enough, but my point is that he won't be dealing with anyone who actually knows how to help him not go insane.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is true. The Abbot has zero idea of how to actually treat this guy.

There is no treatment (except locking him for 52 years), he just decided Xuxian does not need one after we chimed in.

Not that I think Xuxian needs one. We are overplaying that angle here.

Baltika9

Arcane
Fair enough, but my point is that he won't be dealing with anyone who actually knows how to help him not go insane.
And my point is the contrary: Fangci will help him not go insane by teaching him discipline, balance and detachment. You know, Buddhist shit. Esquilax summed it up best:
Note: I'm not saying that Xuxian will definitely fall prey to the manual's effects if he comes with us (actually, it definitely seems like a lot of fun, and it would be nice to travel with a BRO) - I just think that letting him put his mind towards something that isn't "MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL" would be best for him in the long run. The root of all suffering is attachment, and perhaps occupying himself with other tasks will lessen the lingering attachment he still feels to the power he learned. He's almost ready, but I don't think almost is good enough. Give it some time.
Also, no records of monks controlling themselves (or not) since it's all been expunged, but how well Shaolin can control him isn't the real point of B since you aren't leaving him in Shaolin to practice the skill under guidance, but to take a break from using it and do something else instead of being too focused on the skill.

So, that's it? Nobody is going to stick to their guns for this guy? *sigh* Unbro, codex. Unbro. Not to mention, just like that, the codex let's an opportunity to learn a legendary technique slip through our fingers. 9 chapters and nothing to show for it beyond an alliance that will surely fall apart once we inevitably screw up and do something shady or get framed for screwing up and doing something shady. Meh.

Baltika9

Arcane
Eh, too lazy to compile the techniques for the choice. I'll just fix up something to compensate.
Hmm. I wonder what it could be. A meeting with our Master, perhaps, or some cool Shaolin tech?
Edit:
Not to mention, just like that, the codex let's an opportunity to learn a legendary technique slip through our fingers.
He is prohibited from teaching it to anyone.
Why are you so pessimistic, bro? :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Libraries and Dumplings

By the time you finish convincing the Shaolin elders that no, you are not lying about being the new Fire Lord, half of them have fainted and the other half were still choking on the food. Abbot Fangci has a look of grave concern. “Keep this a secret for now, as best as you can,” he says. “Certain other sects would be less… tolerant. This is a very sensitive issue. Still, you promise much, to claim that you can sway such a heretical cult to your bidding.”

“Don’t worry about it, musclehead,” sighs Xuezi. “Just keep your little friendship a secret for now, while you wait and see how the boy fares. It’s not like we’re asking you to go about announcing it with gongs and shouts.”

“I suppose you are right, child… but why are you in here, again?” frowns Fangci.

“Does it matter? Now that Xu Jing is won, he’s allowed to be in the library, right?”

“Well, yes, but-“

“Don’t beat around the bush. Yes or no?” snaps Xuezi.

“Yes.”

Xuezi cheers happily.

The Abbot’s face looks pale, as if concerned about something. It couldn’t be fear, of course – what has he to be afraid of in Shaolin? Looking at you with dead serious eyes, he says, “Always, always listen to the Librarian. I cannot guarantee your safety if you don’t.”

“Which librarian?” You know that there are many in Shaolin, fierce guards of their library.

“Not a librarian, the Librarian,” Fangci says urgently. “Remember my words.” You do not understand – perhaps it is some Buddhist practice unique to Shaolin.

When you arrive at the library with Xuezi, it appears to be empty except for a wizened old monk in plain brown robes, hunched over as he sweeps the steps. He gazes at the two of you with clear eyes that belie his age. “Ah, yes. The Abbot told me of your arrival. The Mistress of Tianshan, was it? And the disciple of little Yang. Or was it Zhang?”

Xuezi freezes up, clutching your hand tightly. “Y-you’re still alive? He’s still alive, Xu Jing! Let’s get out of here!”

You are not sure why she is so afraid of a sweeper monk when she felt no fear mouthing off to the Abbot and the other elders - or indeed anyone at all. You do not feel anything extraordinary from him… though he seems to know her true identity. Did you reveal it to the Shaolin monks somehow? You are sure you hadn’t. Restraining her as she tries to flee, you attempt to talk to the old monk. “My master is a Zhang, old qianbei. Did you know him? For that matter, how do you know this child here?”

“I have seen many people come and go in my lifetime here,” he grins, showing only a few teeth left in that aged mouth. “But that is not a story for me to tell. I am the librarian.” This must be the Librarian that Fangci spoke of.

“But you’re holding a broom, like a sweeper.”

“Who better to take care of books than a person devoted to dusting them off? Shaolin’s library is more ancient than I am by far, and requires more care than I do. Now, the Abbot has given you special dispensation to enter, although you are not monks...”

“I managed to defeat the gauntlet and become a honorary member.”

“Okay.” The old sweeper snorts dismissively with that grumpy tone all people of a certain age acquire, and continues, “You are not allowed into the advanced section. Thirty minutes is the amount of time you have per day. I will come in and fetch you if you are not done by then.” There is something about the way he says ‘fetch’ that makes you feel uneasy. You do not argue with him about the time limit imposed.

“If he says thirty minutes, we should leave in twenty,” hisses Xuezi anxiously, tugging at your sleeve. You wonder just who this decrepit old monk is.

The Shaolin archives are stored within a large building with only one main entrance and exit. The air is surprisingly fresh – you had expected it to be an old, dusty place. There are all sorts of documents lining the shelves that reach from floor to ceiling; bound books, wooden scrolls, and even scraps of leather strung together. Splitting up, Xuezi wanders off, her joy at seeing the books overcoming her fear of the Librarian. You look around – you think you should bring Cao’er here tomorrow. She would definitely love the place. Walking through the corridors made by the shelves, you spot a small pathway leading off to an annex.

‘Advanced Shaolin Martial Arts’, says a sign. You glance at the doorway; the librarian is still sweeping outside, his back to you. Perhaps you could sneak a peek. You turn around… but he is already there, in your way with broom in hand. “The books beyond here are off-limits to you, boy.”

You quickly turn your head back, towards the doorway again. It’s not a twin. Returning your attention to the old monk, you laugh awkwardly. “Right, that’s right. I was just looking.”

“Look elsewhere. Perhaps you might want to try the sixth shelf on the left of you, fifth rack from the bottom,” he suggests.

Nodding nervously, you walk off, counting the shelves. Reaching the spot that the librarian suggested you check, you browse through the stacked records. Something immediately catches your eye. The history of the three legendary manuals, written down nearly seventy five years ago. You flip through it; it is a long tale of bloodshed, betrayal and chaos. Before you know it, the time is up, yet you have still not finished your reading. Xuezi pulls you out of the library under the watchful eye of the monk. You would have to come again tomorrow.

At the end of your library visits, you are still no closer to discovering the location of the manuals, but you have learnt a few interesting matters. The Jiuyang manual moved about publicly for a while, before falling into Shaolin’s hands and triggering a lengthy war between the orthodox sects that ended up with the manual purportedly going missing. The Jiuyin manual was known to be in possession of the immortal of Luoying Manor once upon a time. With the Manor being destroyed and its resident nowhere to be found, it would be hard to follow up on that lead, but perhaps the scholars that have moved to Taoying Island would have an idea. Furthermore, the writer of the records claims that the nameless monk that created Wuxiang Qiankun had taught parts of it to his friend before he disappeared into the Western regions – and as it turns out, that friend of his would later go on to become the illustrious ancestor that brought the family of Zhang Manlou into prominence.

“More importantly of all, I learnt a way to unseal my powers temporarily!” says Xuezi excitedly. “But I can only do it once, maybe twice, since the strain of forcing all those meridian channels open would be too much even for me. But it’s a start. At this rate I might not even need the Xuanming Jiuyin manual to restore myself.”

You’re glad that she got something out of it, at least.

Upon your request, Xuxian has been reinstated as a monk and assigned his tasks. He seems pleased to be working; in his own words, he is relieved that "I don't need to think about martial arts for a while". The Abbot has also seconded him to the strange old librarian of the archives – when you asked about that, it seems that the librarian made that request himself and Fangci was in no position to refuse. You bid Xuxian goodbye, but not before the grateful young monk passed you a small scroll listing down some instructions for the finger techniques he has learnt, hoping that it would be sufficient compensation for your aid. The Jiuyang manual's neigong technique was too complicated for him to pass on in writing, he whispered, but he hoped that you would do good in the world with the techniques he has given - at least, more good than he has done. You promised him that you would return to see him again, and that you could travel together once more when he’s had enough of monastic life.

Guo Fu is accompanying you as you depart from Shaolin: he would be representing Wudang at the Ten Swords Conference, as they would like to see just who it is that took their Qixing Longyuan sword. He would be meeting up with a few other Wudang disciples in Yangzhou, and so for now he and his family would be travelling with you. You had also sent out a letter to the Fire Temple by pigeon, informing them of what you have done so far in the Central Plains. A reply should arrive in less than a week.

Before you could leave, however, Qilin would not allow you to depart the region without visiting the restaurant with the best dumplings in Luoyang. Knowing a lost argument when you see one, you gave in to her. Besides, after the bland monastery food, you are hankering for some fragrant, tasty meat.

As you enter the restaurant, your large entourage in tow, you see a few faces you know well.

Zhang Jue is there, a plate of dumplings in front of him. He is sharing a table with Gao Ying, Xiaofang, and Shun himself, dressed in commoner clothing.

You stare at the scene a few seconds, trying to make sense of it.

“Oh! What a coincidence,” calls out Shun cheerfully when he spots you all frozen up at the entrance of the restaurant. “I didn’t expect to see you here, Jing. Come, join us.”

You flash a look at Master Zhang, who seems entirely unconcerned. “You… ah, do know who you are sitting with, right?” A question meant for the both of them. They nod. You are about to ask them just what they are doing here, together, but someone taps you on the shoulder. It’s Armaiti.

“That man is your master, right? The Southern Maniac?”

“Yes, that is he.”

“Perfect. I must apologize in advance, my lord.” Muttering further apologies to Yunzi, who is looking extremely worried, she steps forward and gives Zhang Jue a slight bow. “My name is Armaiti, of the Fire Temple of Gushnap. I am the young sister of my predecessor who fell at your hands at Heihu Valley. Zhang Jue, I challenge you to a duel to avenge her.”

Well, you certainly didn’t see that coming. Armaiti had not brought it up at all before this.

Zhang looks up at the young woman, chewing the dumpling slowly. Then, he swallows, and grins ferally.

“That’s a yes,” you whisper to Armaiti, “but are you sure about this?”

She is very sure.

A. You can’t have this fight. You stop her from fighting using your authority as Lord of the Fire Temple. You have a feeling that Armaiti will be extremely displeased at that, but you cannot risk her fighting Master Zhang at this time. She is strong, but you have no doubt that he is stronger. If he treats this as a duel to the death…

B. You tell Armaiti that before she challenges Zhang Jue, she must first prove herself by defeating his disciple. That would be you. You think she would respect you more if you stop her by strength rather than by word of authority, but Armaiti is powerful enough that you are not sure if you can win in the first place.

C. You challenge Zhang Jue alongside her, to give her a fighting chance. This is a perfect opportunity to show your master what you have learnt, and you know better than anyone how much he enjoys a good fight. Teaming up with Armaiti might even afford you the chance to be the one to beat him senseless for once… probably. Maybe. You think.

D. You allow the duel to go on, as Armaiti wishes. This is vengeance for her sister – you do not wish to interfere. You will just have to pray that Master Zhang is not in a killing mood and that you will be able to jump in to interfere in time if it looks like lives are going to be spent today.

Last edited:

Eh, too lazy to compile the techniques for the choice. I'll just fix up something to compensate.
Hmm. I wonder what it could be. A meeting with our Master, perhaps, or some cool Shaolin tech?
Edit:
Not to mention, just like that, the codex let's an opportunity to learn a legendary technique slip through our fingers.
He is prohibited from teaching it to anyone.
Why are you so pessimistic, bro? :(
So? He was also forbidden from learning it. Didn't stop him then. Maybe in the future, he'd decide let us in on it anyway. Besides, we have a skill the let's us copy any move we see. In time, we could learn it just by watching. We also have a skill that let's us drain qi and we could have used it combined with WQS to learn special qi skills like the ice needles in the past. Who knows when an opportunity could have cropped up for draining it out of this guy?

edit: "he couldn't pass it on in writing", so that means he was willing to teach us. Great. Just great. :(

Nevill

Arcane
We are heading to Luoyang for the +1 SWORDS conference.

Maybe we can finally work on that Yuchang sword tech, seeing how it is the only sword we have left and how our kenjutsu does not work all that well without a wodao at 7 skill.

Speaking of which, what do we need to do to earn an upgrade to this one? Between BJ, Qingfeng, Lanhai and Jueshi Wugong Sword Song I hoped we would be able to improve a bit before the conference.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Hoo-boy.

Nobody challenges Zhang and lives. Three Amesha Spenta lay dead already as proof of this.

And of course he will treat it as a duel to the death. I doubt Armaiti challenged him just to talk it over during a sparring sdession. If she wants to kill him, he would respond in kind.

B.

Last edited:

A - viable. But we'd probably lose her as a wingman. Maybe not as an ally tho. she has devoted herself to the cult after all.
B - best option. maybe then she wouldn't hate us?
C - beat zhang? :lol:
D - zhang not in a killing mood? :lol:

B

Nevill

Arcane
To be fair, he mellowed a bit. At least enough to recognize that his way is not the only one. He cancelled our challenge and allowed us freedom of choice, so there are visible changes in his character.

But not that drastic that he would spare people trying to kill him.

Ahahahaha. We need Ameshas with higher IQ. Dumb broad.
She is a foreigner. Give her a break.

Baltika9

Arcane
C - beat zhang? :lol:
The Zhang Jue Appreciation Society politely requests that all references to the Celestial Lord Zhang Jue be made with proper capitalization.
Also, it seems that Shaolin really appreciated our decision regarding Xuxian:
Emei Sect: +20 (Neutral)

Wudang Sect: +20 (Neutral)

Shaolin Temple: +70 (Liked)

Nevill

Arcane
Wait, why the rep bonuses with Emei and Wudang?

And why that +50 bonus to Shaolin rep? Is it for coming clean with them? Did our decision to leave Xuxian alone matter here?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Emei and Wudang are buddies with Shaolin, so a bit of trickle down there. As for the rep boost, both decisions factored into it.

Baltika9

Arcane
And we got a +25 with our Temple. It really pains me to deprive our LORD of entertainment and Armaiti of her revenge, but our Temple simply is in no position to lose such a competent fighter and TRUESIS to such a derp.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
C has the ability to save Armaitis life. Our Lord Zhang Jue deserves a proper duel after being challenged. We are too lowly to deny him enterntainment! Blasphemers all of you!

Im voting C.

On the other hand, if you fight him he might finally use laser eyes on you this time.
Watches as the entire Codex flops and then treave acts surprised that they were actually dumb enough to duel Zhang.
2376936-0175006112-leapi.gif

edit: and yes I know the documentary was fake. the lemming analogy is widely understood regardless. ironic that humans codexians are actually dumb enough to do in reality what lemmings were accused of doing falsely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom