Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Ifeex

Augur
Decided to go with B.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Anyone else wondering how a fight between The Librarian and Zhang Jue would go? :avatard:
Unmovable object meets unstopable force. Im no quantum phisicist but I think they would just pass though each other. That or the world would explode.

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, Armaiti, it was nice knowing you. We'll replace her with someone smarter. Let's try and compare how well we'd fare in a battle against Lord Zhang:

Hearing the panicked shouts of the cooking monks, you leap down, dropping into the kitchen to check on the Abbot. Hopefully he isn’t dead.

You find him lying on the floor, eyes closed and limbs spread-eagled. Without warning, he sits up, letting out a great big sigh. There is a trail of blood from the corner of his mouth: Yunzi’s move had an effect. Dusting himself off, he gets to his feet while brushing off the younger monks’ attempts to help him up, wincing as he does so. “You pass, Xu Jing.”

You have cleared the gauntlet, but you are not entirely satisfied with the outcome for some reason. “I thought you said you were weaker than Fangzhang,” you say. You rather suspect that anyone still moving after taking that sort of attack is on the level of a Great Pugilist.

Okay, so Master Zhang's twin brother is a nice guy who went easy on Jing and Yunzi, both at 70%. Master Zhang believes that going easy on someone is popamole, and is very likely stronger than the Abbot thanks to the skills he learned in his Nippon Adventure, but the upside is we'd be fighting him completely fresh with Armaiti, who's a bit stronger than Yunzi. I understand the motivation behind B, but I'm just too curious to see how we stack up to Master Zhang at this point. Should be a good litmus test for how ready we are at the moment for the upcoming Sword Summit if we survive.

C

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Unmovable object meets unstopable force.
That's why they would never fight, and would settle for a polite discussion over some intricate aspect of ancient poetry.

And now I remember that we had an option to sneak inside the Shaolin library at night instead of fighting through the Gauntlet. Wonder how well that would have gone...

Edit: Esquilax, curiosity? Is that all there is to your motivation? Not that it is a bad one, per se, but if it was Zhang fighting you in the Gauntlet, this is where your run would have ended:
At the same time, you vaguely perceive that Fangci is in front of you. He has finally managed to corner you. “You caught me,” you grin.

“So I have. Don’t bite your tongue now.” Two stone-like fists embed themselves in your torso.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
That's why they would never fight, and would settle for a polite discussion over some intricate aspect of ancient poetry.

And now I remember that we had an option to sneak inside the Shaolin library at night instead of fighting through the Gauntlet. Wonder how well that would have gone...

Esquilax, curiosity? Is that all there is to your motivation? Not that it is a bad one, per se, but if it was Zhang fighting you in the Gauntlet, this is where you run would have ended:
Jing steamrolled into submission, probably.

Esquilax

Arcane
So? He was also forbidden from learning it. Didn't stop him then. Maybe in the future, he'd decide let us in on it anyway. Besides, we have a skill the let's us copy any move we see. In time, we could learn it just by watching. We also have a skill that let's us drain qi and we could have used it combined with WQS to learn special qi skills like the ice needles in the past. Who knows when an opportunity could have cropped up for draining it out of this guy?

edit: "he couldn't pass it on in writing", so that means he was willing to teach us. Great. Just great. :(

Well, since I was arguing in favour of this choice a lot, I should at least try and defend it. I figured that Xuxian would not have minded sharing his ability with us, considering that our involvement here helped free him, and that we were now bros and all. However, when I was pushing for having him stay at Shaolin the next little while, it was based on what was best for him, not necessarily what was best for us. I get it, MOAR POWER is awesome, but I think that holding off for a little while until Xuxian gets a better sense of controlling it is wiser in the long-run.

Also, it does seem that Shaolin does have better resources to teach Xuxian control:

He seems pleased to be working; in his own words, he is relieved that "I don't need to think about martial arts for a while". The Abbot has also seconded him to the strange old librarian of the archives – when you asked about that, it seems that the librarian made that request himself and Fangci was in no position to refuse.

That old Librarian scares the shit out of me, but I don't think that there's anybody out there who's more qualified to teach him how to handle the ill effects of the manual. We'll meet up with Xuxian and learn his neigong technique eventually (with the Fire Temple and Shaolin coming together, it's going to happen at some point) but I think right now was too soon. He just seems to be happy that he doesn't have to worry about martial arts right now.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Well, since I was arguing in favour of this choice a lot, I should at least try and defend it. I figured that Xuxian would not have minded sharing his ability with us, considering that our involvement here helped free him, and that we were now bros and all. However, when I was pushing for having him stay at Shaolin the next little while, it was based on what was best for him, not necessarily what was best for us. I get it, MOAR POWER is awesome, but I think that holding off for a little while until Xuxian gets a better sense of controlling it is wiser in the long-run.

Also, it does seem that Shaolin does have better resources to teach Xuxian control:

That old Librarian scares the shit out of me, but I don't think that there's anybody out there who's more qualified to teach him how to handle the ill effects of the manual. We'll meet up with Xuxian and learn his neigong technique eventually (with the Fire Temple and Shaolin coming together, it's going to happen at some point) but I think right now was too soon. He just seems to be happy that he doesn't have to worry about martial arts right now.
Lets give Xuxian a month or two to get bored of the monastic life and then take him with us. He will get the peace of mind (and Mystic Stealth Floor Sweeping Divine Skill) he needs and we will get our neigong boost and UNLIMITED POWER (at least 1.21 gigameridians)!

ScubaV

Prophet
treave, I assume the finger techniques Xuxian gave us will become options to learn in a future update?

I think I'll go B for the current choice.

1. It will save Armaiti from almost certain death if we win
2. We can still show off for Lord Zhang Jue
3. It will be a good challenge for us
4. Beating an Amesha Spenta should improve our rep and authority as Fire Lord

I just hope we get a chance to learn the Manly Lion Roar from this encounter.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
treave, I assume the finger techniques Xuxian gave us will become options to learn in a future update?

I think I'll go B for the current choice.

1. It will save Armaiti from almost certain death if we win
2. We can still show off for Lord Zhang Jue
3. It will be a good challenge for us
4. Beating an Amesha Spenta should improve our rep and authority as Fire Lord

I just hope we get a chance to learn the Manly Lion Roar from this encounter.
You think that denying the cult revenge for its fallen brothers will give us a rep boost? :troll:

Nevill

Arcane
We are not denying her revenge. If she can't beat us, she can't possibly avenge her sister anyway.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
We are not denying her revenge. If she can't beat us, she can't possibly avenge her sister anyway.
I was being sarcastic Nevill :smug: I do understand well the arguments, all true. I just dont want Our Lord Zhang Jue (praise be upon him) to be dissapointed that he gets no duel. Man has had to grown bored if he left the Maniac Island.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, a bit of information on the manuals. There has been misinformation circulating around the jianghu, and the Shaolin record appears to be the most comprehensive one thus far.

Xuanming Jiuyin Holy Art (玄冥九陰聖術, Profound Darkness Nine Yin Holy Art)

First appeared in the late Warring States period with only the first three steps of the art, and used by a master assassin. The rest were gradually developed later by its various practitioners throughout the ages.

1. Fuyinqi Skill (伏陰氣功, Hidden Yin Qi Skill)

The fundamental neigong of the Jiuyin Holy Art. Generates a strong yin presence and is required to understand the subsequent techniques to their highest level. Qi cultivated from this neigong is associated with cold, darkness and death.

2. Jiuming Step (九冥步, Nine Darkness Step)

The qinggong of the Jiuyin Holy Art, allowing the user to move as lightly and as unseen as a shadow.

3. Fuyin Huagu Claws (伏陰化骨爪, Hidden Yin Bone Melting Claws)

A claw technique that can melt through bone.

4. Xuantiedun (玄鐵盾, Profound Iron Shield)

A defensive technique that can conjure a qi barrier to stop even projectiles and weapons.

5. Santou Longshe Staff (三頭龍蛇棍, Three-Headed Dragon Snake Staff)

A staff technique that is slow and fast in equal measure, moving in erratic, snake-like ways to confuse the enemy.

6. Xiansha Finger (仙殺指, Immortal-Killing Finger)

A deadly, precise finger technique that is said to be able to manipulate any pressure point regardless of the opponent’s level.

7. Jiuying Zhiyu Sword (九影制獄劍, Nine Shadows Imprisonment Sword)

A shadowy sword technique that is imperceptible in its movements even as it restricts the enemy’s actions.

8. Xuanyin Shenlong Palm (玄陰聖龍掌, Profound Yin Holy Dragon Palm)

An extremely destructive palm technique that carries the element of softness.

9. Wuming Jiuyu Shenyin Art (無明九獄聖陰術, Lightless Nine Prisons Holy Yin Art)

The most powerful qi-based technique in the Jiuyin Holy Art that purportedly allows its wielder to massacre even the strongest armies with dark shadows.

Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill (晓明九陽神功, Dawning Light Nine Yang Divine Skill)

First appeared during the fall of the Han dynasty, with only the first step to its name. Rumoured to have been the basis of power for many a renowned general in that era.

1. Taifeng Zhenyang Skill (太峰真陽功, Supreme Peak True Yang Skill)

The fundamental neigong of the Jiuyang Divine Skill. Generates a strong yang presence and is required to understand the subsequent techniques to their highest level. Qi cultivated from this neigong has the qualities of heat, light and life.

2. Jiuyang Fist (九陽拳, Nine Yang Fist)

A fast and hard set of fist movements designed to work best with theTaifeng Zhenyang Skill.

3. Menghu Charge (猛虎冲, Fierce Tiger Charge)

An aggressive qinggong that charges at the enemy.

4. Xiaoyan Saber (晓焰刀, Dawning Flame Saber)

A speedy, fiery saber style evoking the light of the dawning day.

5. Jiumingjia (九明甲, Nine Illuminations Armour)

A protective qi technique that is said to render the practitioner’s body practically impervious to injury.

6. Baolie Feihu Palm (爆裂飞虎, Explosive Flying Tiger Palm)

A palm technique with unparalleled explosive force, able to destroy its targets with ease.

7. Yixiao Spear (燡晓槍, Blazing Dawn Spear)

A powerful spear technique that condenses the practitioner’s life force for a double-edged attack.

8. Jiuyang Divine Finger (九陽神指, Nine Yang Divine Finger)

A finger technique utilizing the power of the Jiuyang Divine Skill’s neigong for destructive long range attacks.

9. Zhaoming Xuanyi Shenyang Skill (照玄燡神陽功, Illuminating Profound Radiance Divine Yang Skill)

The most powerful qi-based technique in the Jiuyang Divine Skill that is said to grant its practitioner the ability to scorch the land with boundless light.

Wuxiang Qiankun Skill (無相乾坤功, Formless Universe Skill)

Created by a Shaolin monk who merged Buddhist and Taoist teachings. It is said to have no step at all, being formless, with its progression entirely dependent on the user to develop for itself. Due to that requirement, the risk of losing oneself during meditation – causing their consciousness to never return – is rumoured to be extremely high. It is the only method in existence that can reconcile the energies of the Jiuyin Holy Art and the Jiuyang Divine Skill.

As for the librarian, Xuezi tells you that she encountered him once close to a hundred years ago, when she still had all of her powers. He was rather old even then, but he looks a little older now. She attempted a manual raid on the Shaolin library and after single-handedly easily trashing the entire temple and the Eight Sects masters who stood in her way, was so soundly and humiliatingly beaten in front of the library that she didn’t feel like setting foot in the Central Plains until now (when she has no choice). She was of the impression that he must have been long dead by now (hence her excitement to visit the library), but after meeting him again, thinks that he must be practicing some sort of longevity neigong similar to hers.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Due to that requirement, the risk of losing oneself during meditation – causing their consciousness to never return – is rumoured to be extremely high.
Sweet. Any precautions that could help against an ending like this?

Fangshi

Arcane
D

This is a personal matter between her and our master. She probably won't win but it does not feel right to stop her from trying.

Failing that, C. At least it will be fun.

D>C

tropic

Scholar
B > D

A - Lose respect from all sides
B - If we win, she won't be killed today and can seek revenge later, furthermore no abuse of authority and lets her know she isn't ready
C - Still killing intent on both sides, no matter who wins
D - She will probably die - who's to say we will even have time to interfere

I'm all for non-interference in general, but we don't have any history of not meddling in others' business.

Esquilax

Arcane
The old Librarian seems to know everything about us:

He gazes at the two of you with clear eyes that belie his age. “Ah, yes. The Abbot told me of your arrival. The Mistress of Tianshan, was it? And the disciple of little Yang. Or was it Zhang?”

I think he was playing dumb here. The other monks might not know of our involvement with Yang Xue, but I have a feeling that this dude does.

Esquilax, curiosity? Is that all there is to your motivation? Not that it is a bad one, per se, but if it was Zhang fighting you in the Gauntlet, this is where your run would have ended:

Well, I am just too curious to see where we stack up next to Master Zhang, even with these long odds. Considering that we're heading to the Ten Swords Conference and we'll be encountering all sorts of powerful pugilists there - some of whom could possess the legendary techniques - I'm viewing this as sort of an insane Zhang Jue training exercise. If we can't handle a full-on Maniac assault, then we deserve to die.

On a side note, I find it very interesting how involved Shun and Gao Ying have gotten in the pugilistic world. Last time we heard from Shun, he was discussing the manuals with Qi Liuwu, now he's having a calm, relaxed lunch with Master Zhang of all people. The Zhang Clan's involvement here and the Xuanyuan Sword at the Ten Swords Conference must have Shun on edge.

Tribute

Arbiter
Too bad he cant become our Master in the limited time span we have :(

Always fear the custodian/janitor I say.
Xuxian is already his disciple.

Which may result in interesting things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom