Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Which is why by the time we get them we'll be fighting an army of Celestials led by superpowered zhang manxing.

Meanwhile, it would be nice not to suck too much at the conference...

Last edited:

tropic

Scholar
I think I know that WQS is really the best choice, but I'm just getting tired of it.

Also, we need three more levels of it to learn high-level techniques instantly. Two levels will only give us the basic levels of a technique.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Im ammending my vote to A, VI VII - we dont know how long Lord Zhang Jue will travel with us so we have to learn those nao

Kipeci

Arcane
A X XI

The other techniques are rad as all get-out but that's why we need to try advancing fast enough in the WQS to try to pick them up early. We have the advantage of having taken almost every opportunity to pick the stuff up.

Tigranes

Arcane
VI X

the roar is a unique technique and we need many of those to avoid just being a copycat.

Baltika9

Arcane
Bros, you do realize that WQS at lvl 4 allows us to instantly memorize techniques from opponents with lower neigong, right? I get it, WQS is fuck-all awesome, but we gotta learn some actually new stuff so that we're not sucking without it. Besides that, Lord Zhang is a mercurial and independent spirit, no telling when we will next meet him. The Serpent Eye and Conquering Roar are very advanced and useful techniques.

Absinthe

Arcane
A

X, XI We should aim for Rank 4 asap so that we can instantly learn all the techniques in time for the Huashan summit. With our qi leeching we can cause all of our buddies to have lower neigong than us anyhow.

A few more questions, treave: Is Cao'er going to learn techniques from Xuezi now? Is Yifang going to learn the Jueshi Wugong Sword Song? Can we warn Shun about the risks of losing yourself in meditation, never to return, and advise him that it is best to practice it a lot in matches - not to improve your understanding of the skill, but to keep your understanding grounded in practical applications and reduce the risk of losing yourself? Can we teach Wuxiang Qiankun to Yunzi?

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
x X XI.

If we get 2 more levels in WQS we will be able to get techs just by looking at them.

This is still a long ways away:

Level 1: mimic lower level internal energy
Level 2: mimic same level internal energy
Level 3: mimic higher level internal energy
Level 4: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize lower level internal energy instantly
Level 5: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize same level internal energy instantly
Level 6: ???
Level 7: PROFIT!!!

It took us two meditation sessions on our own to advance to level 2, and while WQS provides some badass MYSTARY! boosts (which is probably what we're going to get, not progression to Level 3), we aren't going to memorize lower level internal energy any time soon. Level 4 also isn't going to get us any closer to memorizing Master Zhang's techniques, because he has a ridiculous amount of qi flowing through his body. And well, as Baltika9 said, we don't know when we're going to run into him next. You can't memorize his techniques if you never see the guy.

The Manly Lion's Violent Roar is also perfect for a situation like the Conference:

Oh yes, it is a technique that most will find hard to counter as well as a faster way to disable your opponent compared to silk and a very, very effective method of crowd control. Pity indeed.

Given that we'll be fighting multiple people, this is just the sort of thing that could give Jing an edge.

treave, I noticed the description for Master Zhang's Fiery Eye of the Serpent Tyrant is different than the others:

You attempt to pick up Zhang Jue’s Jinshe Baojun Fiery Eye (金蛇暴君火眼, Fiery Eye of the Serpent Tyrant), an advanced technique that enhances perception and allows the practitioner to project qi from his eyes to immobilize or damage his opponent.

This implies that we might fail to learn the technique. Maybe if we learn it with the Yiyang Finger...

Voting A VI VII for now

Absinthe

Arcane
Esquilax, we've practiced Wuxiang Qiankun quite a bit since then. We learned a new application of synchronizing qi with Yunzi and we used it against Armaiti recently. If we focus our efforts on Wuxiang Qiankun we should make a lot of progress.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A few more questions, treave: Is Cao'er going to learn techniques from Xuezi now? Is Yifang going to learn the Jueshi Wugong Sword Song? Can we warn Shun about the risks of losing yourself in meditation, never to return, and advise him that it is best to practice it a lot in matches - not to improve your understand of the skill, but to keep your understanding grounded in practical applications and reduce the risk of losing yourself? Can we teach Wuxiang Qiankun to Yunzi?

Maybe. Yes. You will, after learning about that drawback from Shaolin's records. You could, but she won't find it easy to learn.

treave, I noticed the description for Master Zhang's Fiery Eye of the Serpent Tyrant is different than the others

Nah, you'll learn it, just that it's an advanced technique so you might not instantly get super laz0r eyes.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
This probabry little too early, but here is current tally.

Please check, if I missed anything or counted wrong.

Current Tally:

Eryfkrad A V VI

Asxetos A VI VIII

AkkuDakku A VI VII

Jester A VIII VII

Tropic A V VIII

Azira A X XI

Baltika9 A VI VII

Chumbucket A V VIII

Elfberserker A V>VIII VI

Nevill A V>VIII, VI

Kz3r0 A X XI

Ifeek - X XI

Ganymede A IV VII

Kipeci A X XI

Tigranes - VI XI

Absinthe A X XI

Esquilax A VI VII

XenomorphII A VII IX

Tome A, V XI>X.

Fangshi A VI VIII

Current tally

A: 17
-: 2

A: 18
-: 2

V: 6
VI: 9
VII: 6
VIII: 6 (conditional 8 )
IX: 1
X: 5 (conditional 6)
XI: 7

Edit: XenomorphII vote added

Edit: Tropic vote fixed

Edit: I forgot to put Eryfkrad vote there. Now fixed.

Edit: Fangshi vote added

Edit: I think I counted votes right...Maybe.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Esquilax, we've practiced Wuxiang Qiankun quite a bit since then. We learned a new application of synchronizing qi with Yunzi and we used it against Armaiti recently. If we focus our efforts on Wuxiang Qiankun we should make a lot of progress.

Yeah, but we've invested everything we've had in it. It's easy to say "Oh cool, when we're Level 4, we can mimic people instantly", but that isn't going to happen any time soon, and in the meantime, we need a few actual techniques to use in the upcoming Conference. That sort of long-term thinking isn't very helpful when you have a big challenge to face in the short-term. We're treating Wuxiang Qiankun as something of a magic bullet - it isn't exactly useful against a person with higher qi than us (which could describe a few of our challengers) or against someone attacking you with a Great Sword, using techniques specifically tailored to that sword.

We need something in the short-term to help us with the Conference, and for that, we gotta look at actual techniques. We have Master Zhang with us here, and we'd be wise to take advantage of that.

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, huh, could we encourage Cao'er on this front? She seems to stand a lot to gain on this front.

As for Shun, I'm just concerned because the scholarly interest he cited sounds like the way to lose yourself in it. So uh, we should tell him that.

We may as well teach it to Yunzi then. Girl's been falling behind a bit, and I'm curious how well we can synchronize if we both use Wuxiang Qiankun.

Esquilax, I dunno, given the additional practice we've gotten as of late, I think another rank boost might be possible if we fully devote ourselves to improving Wuxiang Qiankun. As for being unable to instantly master Zhang Jue's techniques, those manuals offer neigong boosts galore and the next time we go to Shaolin we can learn one of these neigong techniques, so it's quite possible he will have lower neigong than us next time we meet.

As for helping us in the conference, I rather expect that we will just expose ourselves as the master of Wuxiang Qiankun there. Against the stronger sword masters, I think an improved Wuxiang Qiankun would be our best bet.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Huh, could we encourage Cao'er on this front? She seems to stand a lot to gain on this front.

Willingness to learn and willingness to teach. Need to encourage both sides. At any rate Cao'er's neigong is too low to pick up any killer techniques from Xuezi. Need to start from the basics.

We may as well teach it to Yunzi then. Girl's been falling behind a bit, and I'm curious how well we can synchronize if we both use Wuxiang Qiankun.

You could try to teach it. I'm not guaranteeing that she can use it anytime soon.

Absinthe

Arcane
Well then, could we encourage both sides? You mentioned earlier that Xuezi's teaching is very effective with smart people, and they both have Immortal's Eyes on top of that. They seem like they would do very well together. Just learning Hanbing Needles would be useful for Cao'er with her throwing skill.

May as well start trying to teach Wuxiang Qiankun to Yunzi too.

Absinthe

Arcane
She's the Child Immortal of Tianshan, and she appeared to recognize us as the user of Wuxiang Qiankun on sight (when we weren't even using it), so we assumed she did. Come to think of it, that was never properly confirmed. Treave, if you could confirm?

Esquilax

Arcane
Esquilax, I dunno, given the additional practice we've gotten as of late, I think another rank boost might be possible if we fully devote ourselves to improving Wuxiang Qiankun. As for being unable to copy Zhang Jue's technique, those manuals offer neigong boosts galore and the next time we go to Shaolin we can learn one of the neigong techniques, so it's quite possible he will have lower neigong than us next time we meet.

As I understood it, the meditation that Jing does on his own and the meditation guided by Xuezi are two different things. For example, last time, Jing's solo meditation unlocked Level 2, while Xuezi's guided meditation gave us +1 INT. They are diverging paths.

As for helping us in the conference, I rather expect that we will just expose ourselves as the master of Wuxiang Qiankun there. Against the stronger sword masters, I think an improved Wuxiang Qiankun would be our best bet.

Ah, but this is exactly my point, it wouldn't. Each Great Sword is unique and utilizes techniques designed for it, specifically. Look at our own Yuchang Sword; it's lighter, faster and more flexible than any blade out there, so a lot of moves work best for it, and only it. If someone were to use WQS on us while we're using Yuchang Sword techniques, it wouldn't really be a good idea, because we can still perform the same technique that they copied, but much more effectively.

Absinthe

Arcane
As I understood it, either one will enhance our understanding of the technique (and bring us closer to the next level). It's just that Xuezi's instructions will give our mastery a different quality than we would have obtained on our own. Learning both still brings us much closer than learning one.

The Yuchang Sword "handles far more easily than any blade in existence." It sounds like the best sword to use in tandem with Wuxiang Qiankun to mimic other people's techniques. And we still have some fairly powerful Yuchang Sword techniques of our own.

Treave, can you confirm these points?

Last edited:

tropic

Scholar
Elfberserker, you have my votes wrong- A, V, VIII

edit: The sword holders are going to know all the orthodox techniques, including how to counter them, so WQS is less useful when fighting them. Unorthodox techniques will be best here - Dingdi Step, Lion's Roar, Serpent Eye.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Xuezi doesn't have Immortal's Eyes.

The two meditation options stack and will advance the skill faster.

Handling easily doesn't mean you can use it efficiently in mimicking other Great Sword techniques because those techniques tend to focus on the particular unique qualities of each sword. The Yuchang Sword can't mimic the weight of the Zhanlu Sword, or the flexibility of the Chengying Sword, and it sure as hell isn't going to glow golden like the Chunjun Sword even if you mimic Nie Wuxing's particular swordplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom