Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Now that I thought about it, A means going through with our plan and gambling on Emps, while B means forfeiting immediate benefits in exchange for the Prince's favor, and going to the Capital, where we will be under his and Watcher protection.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh, Dio's plan is nothing as simple as just giving the Emperor women. If that was sufficient to get him to weigh in on politics others would've succeeded long ago. :smug:

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm on telegraph, so this will take a few posts .Bear with me.
    B is not at all meritless. In fact, it is the long term gamble. Consider this: our fiance, lack of manners aside, is a rather good compliment to D. Using her as a filly is a waste. Resources.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Emps is an ineffectual, hedonistic ruler. The Watchers did not recruit us "just 'cause." I get the feeling that we're meeting the prince for a reason. I get the feeling that his pop won't live much longer, even if by our hand/scheming, or the Watchrers'.

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Building points with Lil' E is important.
    If A wins, we must make our moves fast. I'm sure Emps has these parties very often and won't remember us too long.
    Then again, I really want to play Tywin.
    Esquilax: why do we always end up on opposite sides?

^ Top  
  6. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  7. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I would think you tentacle lovers would bee-line straight for the tasteful rape. You gotta think with those other heads.
    :mhd:

^ Top  
  8. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Hate to be meta, guys, but treave did just suggest that the only reason Dio could have the idea of abandoning the plan this far in is because he's "insane".
    Doesn't that strike you who want to pick b as...a hint?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    You don't need to use metagaming to figure out that B is a shitty idea.

Okay, why are you voting for B? What I think is going on is that you are used to playing a very moral character in Ean, so now you're trying to rationalize bad decisions because you're not quite comfortable with how much of a complete asshole Diogenes is. Well, better get used to it.

We have already committed ourselves to this:

If Dio really wanted to stop the Emperor, he would have simply sent the prince to talk him down. We are already fully committed to putting this plan into motion, so we can't back out like this now, it's the worst sort of flip-flopping. The prince has had to prevent his father from taking liberties before, but I doubt our intervention will be greeted so kindly, even if we are his host.

The son could pose problems for us - he is clearly more intelligent and politically adept than his father. In any case, the son won't cause any problems for us in the near future because as long as he doesn't find out about the fact that we lied to him right now, we'll be fine. And even if he does find out eventually, we can build up a power base to properly neutralize any of the moves he makes. If we get the Emperor on our side, we can start making efforts to marginalize the prince.

We have absolutely nothing to lose and a lot to gain by earning the Emperor's confidence, so I see no reason to oppose him. In the meantime, we'll build up our power base in Ankida by being close to him, earning contacts and allies along the way. If relations with the Prince deteriorate in the next 20 or so years, at that point we will have enough clout to counter him.

As for the wife, she has been useful to us, but we'll find a new one who is even more useful to us. Thalia's family name is worth less than even Dio's, so we should look for a wife from a more prestigious family - that would really allow Dio to move up the social ladder.

^ Top  
  10. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Whole update was full of hints to vote A. And the previous update also. But I'm still going to vote B because if we vote A, we lose the respect of Thania and Runikylos, and the emperor won't give a shit to us anyway. He is the Emperor after all and receives consorts from everyone. Letting him have Thania will put us on... Exactly where? On par with every other noble who has tried this scheme?

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Everything indicates that we should vote A, but I'm voting B instead!

Who cares about Thania and Runikylos? Thania is an expendable asset to be discarded, Runikylos won't be Emperor for a long time. The current Emperor is only 40 years old, and the odds of shortening his lifespan by assassinating him are practically 0.

As treave said, there is more to it than throwing the Emperor a piece of pussy, so this part is untrue. The Emperor has all the right ingredients to become a useful puppet to a skilled politican like Dio, so why oppose him? Runikylos is far more politically adept and willing to take an active role in politics, so why not side with the guy who is better for our interests?

You're basically worried about losing respect from people that don't really matter.

^ Top  
  12. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Ahem.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Heir to the throne matters a lot. Basically we are putting our eggs on one basket and hoping the Emperor doesn't die. He is already 40 years old and might kick the bucket anyday now. And where do you get the odds for assasinations? Runikylos is politically adept and might want to hasten his rise to the power. Or someone close to him might do it to gain favor.

And Thania. She isn't from a good house but she is smart and loyal. We aren't going to succeed alone, we need allys and we are about to throw away the only one we got.

And I'm worried about losing respect from the only one that matters. Him being the very first Emperor.

^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    By "any day now", you must have meant "in the next twenty years". The man is only 40. Emperors aren't exactly easy to assassinate, and we currently don't have the means to take this guy out, which is why I said "practically 0". Therefore, we should use his station to facilitate our own rise to power. Why are you guys so dead-set on opposing the Emperor's moves? We already have a plan in place, yet you guys want to shit all over it on a whim to appease an heir that is difficult to manipulate and a wife-to-be that won't give us the power and status we so desperately need to make a mark in the world.

The situation so far indicates that Runikylos is not ruthless and won't hasten his rise to power through assassination. Actually, quite the opposite. While he's politically adept and doesn't appreciate his father's indiscretions, our first meeting with him demonstrates that he has some integrity and compassion. He also seems like he would be far more involved in actually governing the country than the current Emperor, which is also not a good deal for us.

I was not advocating putting all our eggs into one basket (i.e. The Emperor). I was advocating getting into his good graces, then once we have our foot in the door, using our relationship to establish alliances with other powerful people so that we have an actual power base.

It's been made very clear that we are a ruthless power-player, so flip-flopping at this point is incredibly ill-advised.

:hmmm:

Ean hasn't even appeared yet, nor do we know in what capacity he will appear. Our character isn't even aware of Ean beyond being the focus of religious worship. Ean is completely irrelevant to the character that we are playing as. Where do you guys get this stuff?

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Esquilax: didn't vote yet. It's also that a clearly superior choice, isn't. In addition to everything else said. And I'm sure having your fiance banged in front of you does wonedrs for rumors and reputation.
    Then again, Lil 'E might not want competition.

^ Top  
  16. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Yeah, except Dio planned and manipulated the situation to be so that the Emperor would end up raping Thania. Every action that Dio has undertaken during this party so far has been calculated and premeditated. So coming in with a bunch of irrelevant arguments like "What will Thania think? What will Runikylos think? Holy shit, what will Ean think?!" and baseless speculation like our reputation being ruined (Dio obviously planned for all of this to happen, so he is aware of what's going on) is only going to fuck up our position.

B voters are overcomplicating things and not analyzing the right details. Dio's goal here is to take steps to increase his own power base - that's the important part. Thania is skilled, but she lacks status, so as we move up in the world, she'll begin to hold us back. Runikylos is a politically adept heir apparent, but he is years away from taking power. The current Emperor however, is a great bet for us. This pretty much tells us everything:

Sometimes the obviously superior option is better because it's, well, obviously superior. You can't think "shit, this is too good to be true!" every time an opportunity presents itself. You can only read the updates, infer things, then try to plan things in accordance with your goals. And right now, A is the option to pick that fits along with our goals.

^ Top  
  17. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Fact 1: I ONLY love tentacles
    Fact 2: Thania has no tentacles

Conclusion: I have no love for Thania!

A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Now I'm just making excuses. A

Esquilax, seriously, it's like we swapping arguments every time. What the fuck?

^ Top  
  19. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME

I don't know if I have missed something but the man is 40 and our tech is equivalent to 16th century of our history. Couple first google links show that the life expectancy back then was 35 years. By "any day now", I meant any day now, not in the next 20 years, but in the next 2 years.

A might be the superior choice here, but I still think Ean-like, and that's how I'm going to vote.

Edit: Life expectancy at birth was 35 years. It's was higher once past childhood.

^ Top  
  20. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    How your life must be simple:lol:

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Because it makes sense to play Loki as Thor.
    And I doubt Lil 'E is Ean. Too obvious. Besides, his return should be awe sum .ScubaV, you know what to do.

^ Top  
  22. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Why complicate an already-extremely-complicated life?:D

^ Top  
  23. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    *insert rant here against NTR*
    B

^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Diogenes is such a scumbag.
    A., though my Crusader King-ing self winces at turning away a wife with the genius and attractive traits.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Arpad Educated

Arpad
    Flip flopping to A.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.