Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, I'd rather be this
    [​IMG]
    plus this
    [​IMG]
    than locked in a powersuit all our life and powerless without it. As you said, a matter of taste.

^ Top  
  2. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Well Napolean's "superpower" was charisma, reputation, political savvy and military insight. I'd say that only the latter could be applied to either choice. And Julius Caesar strikes me more as B, rather than A. The man didn't actually enter the battles he commanded. B is cold, calm, rational, whereas A is passionate, emotional and strength.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Crap. B then.

No complaining if this goes bad, guys!

edit: flopping to A to screw with Bloodshifter

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Not quite, he was also braver than any man in his armies (many witnesses of him actually fighting alongside his men and loading the guns) and was a capable cavalryman.
    And how could I forget? A guy with superstrength travelling space and dimensions in a power suit?
    [​IMG]
    :yeah:
    But seriously, the strength upgrade will net us short term and long term benefits, while compensating for our weaknesses and making us prepared for many different eventualities as well as giving us a fighter's and general's instincts. Hence, we will be covered on all fronts, instead of frantically thinking "Ohshitohshitohshit" like we did with Dio in Skane and Rus. I don't want a repeat of that.

^ Top  
  5. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    We must say freeze punk at least once in this CYOA if B wins!

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Speak for yourself.
    :rpgcodex:
    I hope Shulgi will be around to pull us out of the fire. I also don't fancy becoming an inhuman cyborg. But eh, I spoke too much for now, and I'm getting redundant.

^ Top  
  7. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    All your points are very good, Baltika. I'm still on the fence, but I would like to play a character with true brains as well. Maybe the extra brains give us hints that will help us make the right choices and avoid the really bad ones... edit: treave, I'm looking at you when I say that. Seriously, bro - we needs us some training wheels when it comes to the blind choices that can majorly fuck us over...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Alright, I'll provide choices that definitely mean what they say and say what they mean from now on, with no vagueness involved. :-/

^ Top  
  9. CaptainAwesome Arcane

CaptainAwesome
    B.

Who needs to be able to fight off armies single handedly, when you can delude the manboons into fighting for you?

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    ...but not enough, I suppose. At the risk of being a douchebag, I'll bite.

How about we start exercising those "extra brains" right now? Consider this: we take the INT upgrade...and what then? How does this help us maximize our assets, the fight club with a parody of a human being it's only member, for our goals, which right now include first and foremost completing pwincess' "quest" (because if we don't we invite her scorn and very unpleasant consequences. If she demoted us from the top to the bottom in under an hour, what else will she do?) These guys will need a leader and mentor right now, because currently nobody in the club can fight worth shit. And considering this is a treave LP, we will get Diogenes' scouting trip (where he stood with mouth open, shitting his pants) at Euphraxes rather than Ean's defense of Tjaru. The strength upgrade gives us the fighting instinct we fucking need.

Next, we're also being hounded by interstellar chimeras. Advanced brain processing power is all well and good, but in a scenario like this it's goddamn useless. Again, we need the strength and instinct.

Dimension hopping? Our suit breaks, our reasoning fails, we're pinned to the ground? We need that instinct and strength. Edit: especially with our track record. We need a last resort that doesn't ddisfigure us like Dio, and punching someone in the face always works.

Advanced brainpower? We have enough of that and then some, we can already plan out war mechs and that's enough for now. We can bring it up later by studying and experimenting. As for the implants, I don't want to see treave's grimdark interpretation of trans-humanism and soulless cyborgs, we ahve enough working against us as it is.

In short: in favor of A we have congruence with past choices, immediate benefits (Fight Club, which is too close to the movie to be funny, and :mhd:with Kyrie, plus her respect and possibly friendship) and long term gains (rounding out critical weaknesses) and totally needed and essential fighting instincts.
    In favor of B we have "omg, socially awkward Tony that is also AZN! Gigglesquee!" (which will wear thin quickly, trust me on that), increased intelligence (as stated, it is rather redundant now and it increases our processing power, not a straight-up IQ boost) and improved mechs, which we can get the regular human way (which is my preferred way here: unlock humanity's inner strengths rather than tacking on machines and calling it a day).
    Also, A makes us a fucking Space Marine. What else do you want?

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Fuck it, you sold me on A, bro. Flopping my original post to A. According to my tally, I think it's tied.

^ Top  
  12. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Um it only turns us into temp Marine not permament Marine also it increases the amount of Data we can handle per second that i s much better then playing temporary hulk.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    B.

This nerd is never going to be Hercules. His use will be in mech design and piloting. Having extra-ordinary reactions and senses mean he can become one hell of an ace.

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Bloodshifter, oscar: it also gives us fighting instincts to succeed at our immediate goals of staying alive and meeting and beating Kyrie's challenge. If anyone thinks fighting instinct and tactical sense are useless, well, you are wrong. And our being a nerd isn't set in stone, we can still mold the character as we prefer, it only needs the correct choices, this being one of them.
    Also, for those who forgot Skane and Euphraxes:
    If you think we can avoid physical confrontations forever, you are completely and absolutely mistaken. Case in point, our current predicament.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A bros, I need backup. I really, really need backup.

^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I've just got to say that all the information processing in the world won't help our hero when we blindly ignore that information as some sort of flavor or something in favor of some conspiracy theory and collectively freak out about exactly the wrong thing. The Codex doesn't seem to really work well with intelligent characters with no other back-up to speak of... at least when we goofed with Ean, we could generally fight our way out of our mistakes. This will shore us up in the physical department and give us an ace up our sleeve when we inevitably screw up.

I have no problem with B if we can play a perfect game from here on out, but judging by our track record...

^ Top  
  17. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    This is a really tough one. Yeah, that Skane thing was a bitch and a half. And the Codex is always charging headlong into situations like that. The one hope I have with B is that our character's intelligence level will compensate for our own...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Why not? If he can advance his body beyond human limits (and he can) then why would it not be possible? Yes, he has an analytical mind, but he is physically powerless - all that plotting and scheming won't do shit for us when shit hits the fan. Look at Chapter 1 and all the great things Shulgi's planning did for him when Ean came on and chopped him in half. We need to be consistent with our choices to avoid flip-flopping disasters - our character has decided to peer in and acquaint himself with the supernatural world in our first choice, exposing ourselves to personal dangers, then we decided to get ourselves involved in a physical trial, that, if we succeed in, will greatly benefit us politically and socially and provide us with status. We ought to continue with this path now that we've set on it.

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I just realized, I never actually voted. :oops:

A.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You raise a good point. I did consider, eventually, that the protagonist's personal mech might fall along the lines of either

A. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Robot

or

B. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Robot

^ Top  
  21. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Real robot, please. I'm just not sure the others will stick around if Senya starts shouting stuff like "Super Robot Sword Slash!"

edit: flopping to A to screw with Bloodshifter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    ...you...really believe that? We need a safety net, as in we really need it. And also, our intelligence will be useless if we piss of Kyrie by failing her challenge.
    Unless treave makes an asspull about how "increased processing ability compensates for complete absence of experience." Which would be total bullshit.

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Also, root voted A, I believe.

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It doesn't, but it should allow you to predict their moves based on their muscle movement and perhaps pull off a surprise victory in one of the matches.

^ Top  
  25. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Yeah, I actually think the girl will watch us get beat up and develop a grudging respect for us. Of course she'd never admit it. She'd probably just call us stupid, but she'd let us off with minor punishment. Typical anime broad...

also:
    Probably the first one. Then we lose.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.