Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I aim to please.
    And about the femo-hippies, we'll neeed to awaken the last loyal agent of "The Patriarchy" on this planet: Shulgi.

^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Shulgi's getting old, might be getting bored with life. I'd wager he's content with a back-row role. At most, he'll provide some advice and then let the young'uns do all the running and talking.

At least that's the impression I get from treaves updates.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Then I suppose we'll need to find a way to kick his ass into gear, maybe pulling another Dio will do the trick (remind him that he can run all he wants, but he can't hide from this job. At least not until he resurrects Ean, so it's a win-win for us really:smug:) ;or breaking the rationalist perception of this world thereby forcing him to act to avert disaster.

Edit: then again, if Ean still has his consciousness, he's either revising the Kama Sutra or studying the secrets of existence; that or Treebeard-ing the time away. And we can't, in good conscience, disturb such productive activities.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Please do continue the rampant speculation. :lol:

^ Top  
  5. Zwist Learned

Zwist
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if were the result of the Golden Womb trying to create their goddess?
    And even more fun if they actually succeeded in extracting the *female* soul from the flowers?

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm saving the lulz until I hear what this uncle has to say.
    In the meantime, whatever happened to Aphrodite and Ares?

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Aphrodite suffered the same fate as Athena. Ares is missing, presumed dead.

^ Top  
  8. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    You know what I am simply going to say this for all our Ails

Shulgi didn't mean to plan it, we just were stupid enough to run into it, either way we please the Shulgi-Mind.

Sums up our CYOA quite nicely.

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Old Leaves Bookstore

Track 21

In this day and age, books are a less common – and more expensive – pleasure. Digital information has supplanted printed pages in most places, and the only significant demand for books are from two groups; the wealthy, as a status symbol, and the scholars, who pursue old books with the lust of a middle-aged salaryman who has suppressed his desires for decades and finally has the opportunity to indulge in his fantasies with a nubile school girl. That is to say, very lustily.

It does not come to me as a surprise, then, that the Old Leaves Bookstore during the day is packed with students of all stripes, from middle school to university. There are even a few elderly professors striding about boldly, the students nervously moving aside to clear a path for them as they peruse the shelves. The virtue of learning has always been extolled here in the lands of the Shinar, and a town such as Olympia was certain to gather many people of a certain bent.

“I didn't know how popular this store was.” breathed Kyrie. She had insisted on coming along, saying that the data was formerly owned by Relius and thus property of the ISC; which means she had a say in how it was used. I found it easier to give in to her.

“Please wait for a moment. I'll let uncle know that you're here.” Erika walks off into the back of the bookstore, nimbly darting between the crowd of customers engrossed in books. I take the time to look around. Wood is the main element in the décor; the walls, bookshelves and floor are all made of it. Books are arranged by their categories in the shelves. Most modern books do not have a printed version. The newest of these should still be older than I am. I reach up and pluck a book off the shelves.

“Saucy Sexy Shinari Stories.” reads Erika out loud, standing behind me. “Are you interested in that?” Besides her, Kyrie gives me a pitying look.

I wonder when she got back. I can't read it in front of them. Making a note of the book's location, I put it back on the shelves. Perhaps I can check it out later.

“I was just picking a book at random.”

Kyrie sniffs, as if expressing her disbelief.

“I see. Uncle will see you now.” Erika gestures to the door that she had went through earlier, before going over to the cashier and taking over from the girl manning the counter. Apparently I'm to speak with him without her.

I move through the throng of customers, towards the door. Suddenly, someone grabs my arm.

“Senya-dono!”

There is only one person in Olympia that would address me so.

“Fancy seeing you here, Michael.”

Islington almost bounces up and down, giddy with excitement. “I did not expect to see you here too, Senya-dono! Are you here to look for the secret manuals of kenjutsu? I always come here to read through them. They're a bit expensive to buy, but man, can you learn a lot from them.”

I shake my head, not exactly sure what he's on about. Kyrie backs away, keeping quiet with an amused look on her face. That bitch. Islington doesn't notice her. “I have a meeting with the owner, Michael.”

His eyes widen in surprise. “You have a meeting with Shulgi sensei? That's... that's so cool! That's awesome! Are you guys going to talk about, like, the essence of the sword or something?”

So Erika's uncle was called Shulgi. I give Islington an apologetic grin and begin moving away from him. “Maybe. Sorry, can't keep him waiting. I'll talk to you later.” As I turn away, I can feel his stare of adoration boring into my back.

An owner of an old books store should have a certain look about him. His hair should be neatly combed and parted. Perhaps he has a pair of glasses on his face, even though he shouldn't need one in these times. There might be a pipe in his mouth, and he may be wearing a checkered vest with tidily cuffed shirts. He should be refined, elegant and quiet, yet with a twinkle of wit and charm in his eye that tells you he is not entirely a dry person, so to speak. His is a face that speaks of seeing the history of the world through the ink that has seeped into old paper.

Erika's uncle is none of those.

His hair is dark and messy. His face is decorated with scars, not glasses – there is an eyepatch over one eye. A cigarette sticks out of the corner of his mouth, and he wears a vest – just a vest – that shows off his tanned, muscular arms. He is clearly dangerous, rough, and brash, and his one grey eye seems to twinkle with the promise of cheerful violence, and he probably isn't a dry person, judging by the open bottle of whisky on a tower of books. His is a face that seems to speak of seeing the history of the world through explosions and gunfire.

“Do I have the wrong room, or are you Erika's uncle?”

“Hm? Ah, the boy. Good, you're here. You've brought a friend along, eh?” His voice is unmistakeably the one that had stopped Erika from continuing her attack a few nights ago.

Kyrie gives him a polite curtsey. “It is a pleasure to meet you, sir. My name is Kyrie Francesca de Shinar.”

His one eye brightens and he grins widely, showing a rough line of teeth. “The crown princess of the Empire. Welcome to my humble abode. I did not know you were friends with the boy here.”

“I would not say that we are friends. We have a working relationship of a sort. Of course, I am the superior.”

Erika's uncle laughs loudly. “You wouldn't have it any other way, would you? Give me a moment. Please, take a seat.”

I take my place on a very comfortable couch, opposite his desk. Kyrie drops herself by my side. Books are scattered haphazardly all over the room; he appears to have been reading one when I came in. I whisper to her. “Sir? I didn't know you could be so polite.”

“I know etiquette. Besides, it is only good sense to be polite to a man that looks like... well, that.”

“Well, boy, have you been getting along well with my niece?” The man cuts off our whispering. It looks like he is going to start off with small talk instead of getting to the point.

“I have, Mr. Shulgi.”

“You know my name. That's going to make introductions go faster.” He seems pleased. “Just Shulgi will do, really. If you forget it, you have my permission to call me Uncle.”

“Shulgi is not a very common name nowadays. I think I won't forget it. It's been out of use in the Shinar Empire for centuries, hasn't it? It's a very old name.”

The man shrugs. “I am not from around here. It is still quite popular back in my homeland. The United Nations of Shulgiland. When I was born, there was a strong fad of naming their children after the country. I got off easy with just Shulgi. There were boys called Shulgiana.” He takes a swig from the bottle, grinning at me. “You seem to know a lot about names.”

“I do read a bit about everything.”

“A scholar, eh? That's good to know. Erika did say you seemed like a puny book-lover. Tell me, have you ever read this?” Shulgi picks up the book that he had been reading and shows me the cover.

“The Epic of Ean.” murmurs Kyrie as she reads the title.

“I know the story, but I haven't read it yet.” I reply truthfully.

“You should. It is quite interesting.” He casually tosses the book over to me. “By the way, this copy costs a few hundred thousand dollars. Be careful with it, there are only less than a hundred left in the world.”

I fumble the book. Thankfully, no pages are torn. Still... if I'm interested in reading the tale, I could always just look up the online copy. I'm sure Shulgi knows that, so if he threw me the book, there must be something else about it.

“Does this have anything to do with our meeting today?”

Shulgi shakes his head, smiling. “No, not exactly. You can read it at your leisure; I'll lend the book to you. Well, we can get down to business immediately if you wish.”

A. Shulgi looks like he runs a bookstore where the books try to eat him daily. He certainly is no mere store owner, even discounting his connection with the Dunamis group. There is something off about him – I will try to probe his background a bit more before entrusting him with the data.

B. I do what I came here to do; exchange the data for Shulgi's advice. There doesn't seem to be much point in trying to achieve anything else for now. There are other things that await my attention, and it will not do to be side-tracked by his appearance.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    As much as I like Shulgi, it doesn't seem appropriate for our pragmatic character to just drop off the data without knowing a thing about him. I'm hoping that we still have some anonymity in the meantime, so we can afford to look into these things for a little while.

Obviously, Shulgi's copy of the Epic has details and information in it that you can't find anywhere else, in addition to probably stuff that he probably has handy to help Senya, like the lodestone he gave Ean in Chapter 6.

A

^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Annnnnnnd I knew it. I knew it! I damn well knew it. Your attempts to tricks me failed, treave!

SHULGI IS EVERYWHERE!

That or this is a cruel prank to raise my spirits high and he is merely named Shulgi by happenstance.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    B.
    Let's get this over with so that we can do other things.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And so the greatest minds are always unvalued in their times.
    So, Shulgi went from this
    [​IMG]

to a mix of this
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    :hmmm:
    :desu:

But seriously, we might want to reserve our judgement for now and datamine him for a bit, hence I'm voting A.
    Speaking of which, treave, have there been minor wars and armed conflicts in recent times?

^ Top  
  14. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I agree with Esquilax, I think it pays to stay true to our character who is pragmatic. Let's go A.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    At least we're not playing twenty questions this time around.
    :troll:(/asking for it)
    I'm also extremely curious to hear Shulgi's commentary on Ean and expecting it to be one overlong rant("And then he ate the World Tree, a billion essences strong and sacrificed himself again. Talk about a Messiah Complex, I mean fuck, you'd think a man would learn after four thousand years. But nooo, it's always Shulgi that has to clean the mess up, never mind the consequences."
    "...I miss the bastard.")

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I agree about the in-character reasoning, though I really do think B would be the right answer in these circumstances... A.

^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B for now. A does make sense for the character however.

^ Top  
  19. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    You know, I am a bit torn here. On the one hand, it just doesn't make sense for Senya to offer some incredibly sensitive information to a stranger described as follows:

What is Shulgi's stake in all of this? How does he know all of this - this is something that a reasonable person would ask, especially if they had the advantage of anonymity still on their side and time to investigate metters. On the other hand, it'll only be a matter of time until Relius' people trace the stolen data to us or Kyrie, so getting rid of hot merchandise before we're found out is a good idea as well. I am kind of on the fence, so I'm considering flopping to B.

^ Top  
  20. Zwist Learned

Zwist
    Hmm, probing Shulgi?
    If A means asking him, sure lets do that. If it means turning around going home to dig up dirt on him... not so much.
    We came here to exchange data, and his little pet knows that we did.
    It might be time for a leap of faith, based on the fact that he knows what we are, and yet actively stopped os frum getting killed(while, as I might point out, fully retaining the capacity to do so at a later date).
    And honestly, who are we to judge on appearance?

So, B.

Boy, do I hope this is a "new" Shulgi.

Edit: Ah, well A then

^ Top  
  21. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    B nope not our Shulgi if we were a Hydrid Tentacle Mob thing... he would be more intrested in us is he Working for Ean's Shulgi? Most likely.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, A means you try to ask about his background on the spot. You have Yua ready to fact check too.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, the only way this can go south is if 'Ol Shrapnel decides that we're wasting his time and tells us to bugger off, which I doubt: he seems open enough.
    I just hope he has a bike with a NO2 booster.

^ Top  
  24. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A, if that means we are going to give him the data after we have satisfied our curiosity.

^ Top  
  25. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A isn't the most Pragmatic of choices Curosity can lead down bad ends. Give him the data no need to pry into a old warhorse when we can figure out more about wth is going on...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.