Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    It's a pity the Dio arc wasn't longer. :(

I wonder what will happen if B2 Kayerts is accepted by Adrahasis, they all stand guard as we fire the giant black hole at Marduk... and the Dragon survives. :eek: The terms of the agreement don't exclude Adrahasis then capturing us for the Emprah, or standing aside for the ensuing combat round 2.

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Then we'll just have to kick his ass again. Seriously, all we did as Senya was get into fights against impossible odds and push him past the limits. Even exhausted, we can take him.
    Speaking of the Watchers, what happened to those guys? I saw no trace of them in this chapter, which means they've gotten much better, or disbanded.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, B2 victory. I'm assuming the six month time limit.

The Mission

“So, now that everyone’s here, shall we begin? I’ll be taking the minutes for today.” says Emiri, twirling a pen between her fingers.

Thanks to the stable black hole where Uranus used to be, and some quick negotiations with Adrahasis, the Imperial Crusade into Earth territory was stopped in its tracks. It was definitely the sort of situation that warranted a meeting.

Rei, Emiri, Erec and Erika are present as my subordinates, although Erec would probably rather die than admit it – even if I don’t have an official rank, I’m being regarded as the leader of… well, something. People seem to listen to me nowadays. The newly minted President Iannes is here too, together with the Federation’s latest Chief of Staff, Admiral Harlsen. Besides him are Sekhenun and the Tree-Emperor, which is what I had taken to calling him in my mind after seeing him step out of one that sprouted almost spontaneously inside Sekhenun’s laboratory.

Pity. Having a dragon fight a tree would have been amusing to watch.

On the other side of the long table are Adrahasis and his twin sister, Adrasteia. Apparently they are rare offspring borne from a union between two immortals. Having had the chance to talk to Adrasteia on the way back she was definitely unlike her more thoughtful brother. Adrahasis tells me that she takes after their father. “That reminds me, I probably owe them a nice boat.” I hear the Tree-Emperor muttering to Sekhenun, glancing at the twin immortals.

“I suppose her flaming red hair is rather attractive. I’ll give her that. Now, please do your job.” whispers Kyrie icily in my ear as I feel a clammy hand on my neck. The first thing she’d manage to do upon regaining the ability to manifest again was catching me chatting with Adrasteia and her handmaidens. I didn’t know ghosts could kick so hard. I almost turn my head to speak to her, before catching myself. I’ll have to make it up to her later, in private.

Admiral Harlsen clears his throat, giving me the sort of odd glance you reserve for people who seem like they’re about to talk to empty space. “Can we start now?” he says, scratching his chin while casting a suspicious look over everyone at the table. I suppose we do make for an odd meeting – Iannes and the Admiral aside, no one here looks a day over 25, but the combined ages of some of the people here add up to thousands of years.

“Sorry, Admiral. I’m still a bit tired,” I try to smile. “Very well, let’s begin. I think we should hear from our new friends from the Empire. Lord Adrahasis, Lady Adrasteia, if you would?”

Adrahasis and his sister stand up and give a crisp salute after the Imperial fashion, which Harlsen matches with the Federation style.

“Thank you for having us here,” Adrahasis begins. “I believe everyone here has read the report that I wrote up on the true nature of our Crusade.”

Iannes nods. “You mean to say that these gods that the League believe in are real, and the Empire wants to slay them?”

“That is correct, Mr. President,” says Adrahasis smoothly, his mannerisms incongruent with his child-like appearance. It seems like he has done his homework. “Our Emperor was to have led us there, though it would have been at the cost of many Earthling lives. Sir Hoshikawa provided a rather persuasive counter-argument to our prior strategy, and so here we are.”

“Are the rest of your men alright with this?” asks Ean, the Tree-Emperor.

“I estimate 77% of the ships will follow my lead without question for now. Footage of Sir Hoshikawa’s battle with our Emperor have been spread throughout the fleet. They are rather impressed. As for the remainder, I am sad to say that we have some dissenting opinions who are preparing to return home now that the Emperor is inconvenienced for an indeterminate amount of time. They may be planning to establish fiefdoms of their own in the fragmenting Empire.”

I do the mental calculations in my head. That would work out to roughly a hundred thousand warships, perhaps more. It is a sizeable force, one that I would be loathe to give up for lost.

“Is there any way we can convert them?”

“I don’t see the point,” interjects Adrasteia. “They have rejected cooperation. Let me have a thousand ships and I will smash them before they can run.”

“You’re certainly very quick to attack your former comrades.” I say.

Adrasteia gives me a feral grin. “Let’s just say that there are some cowardly bastards there that I’ll enjoy killing.”

“Still, the resources that they hold are considerably valuable,” points out Sekhenun. “We will need every man and ship that we can get.”

Is it worth the risk to confront them, however?

A. Attack the uncooperative remnants of the Imperial fleet. Adrasteia and the Dunamis Clan will lead a boarding action to slaughter anyone who does not surrender. We need those ships and those supplies.

B. Allow them to go unharmed. Their return to Imperial space could serve to inconvenience the Star League instead. They will serve as a distraction.

“This matter aside, how do you plan on killing these gods you are talking about, if they do exist? How are we even getting there in the first place?” asks the Admiral.

Adrahasis turns his eyes on me. Well, I suppose I did promise. I turn my eyes towards Sekhenun, who lets out a sigh of annoyance.

“I will explain that matter. Now, the gateway to the dimension of these gods… the Masters, if you will, exists in a heavily guarded sector at the center of the galactic core. The Imperial Crusade aimed to turn Earth into an alternative entrance. Now, the Devourer’s method to do so, and the tool he would have used, are lost to us, no thanks to a certain hotshot. We do not have the knowledge nor the capability to turn Earth into another gateway to the Masters’ dimension.”

“A full frontal assault is suicide,” frowns Adrahasis. “There are billions of automated defense units guarding the gateway, each capable of destroying a planet. They will only allow passage for the victors of the game.”

“As I see it, the Masters have already decided that the Star League will win this game of theirs,” says Ean. “In that case, they will certainly do everything that they can to assist the Star League in achieving victory. In order to win the game, the Star League will be required to defeat us, their last standing opponent now that the Empire’s military is practically under our command.”

“The defeat can be diplomatic or military,” says Adrahasis. “If we surrender and bow to them it will also be considered their victory, granting them passage past the maze of defensive systems.”

“How automated are these systems? Can they be manipulated in any way?”

“As far I know, they will not respond to any commands; these at least are designed to be fair,” answers Adrahasis. “They will either shoot upon you, or recognize you as the victor and allow you to pass. Their victory recognition criteria is unchangeable, even for their creators. If not they would have sent these units against the Dragon Emperor long ago. Instead they attempted to defeat us via more manipulative means.”

“Gentlemen, all of this talk of getting to the gate is well and good, but how are we going to destroy these gods once we are there?” asks Iannes.

“Hunting them down one by one would be a hassle. Would our pact be fulfiled if I simply collapsed their entire dimension in on itself?” I turn to Adrahasis again.

He gives me a blank stare. “Yes, it would, but how do you talk about such terrible things so casually?”

“I have a rather different perspective from you, I suspect.” I grin. “So, there’s our method. I am confident that I can create a bomb that can wipe out their reality, beyond their ability to repair it. I would only require the Sun.”

“You’re going to turn the Sun into a bomb?” Multiple variations of this question are shouted towards me all at once.

“We don’t have the time to go out and get another star from under the League's noses.” I shrug. “I could use Jupiter, but it would not be anywhere near as lethal. Of course, that might be sufficient, but if you want to be very sure that they are all destroyed at once…”

In the end, we decide to:

A. Use the Sun to create a device powerful enough to collapse the Masters’ entire dimension into a singularity when it is detonated. There is no point half-assing total destruction.

B. Turn Jupiter into a bomb that is powerful enough to destroy a galaxy.

C. Keep our explosives in our pants and do things the hard way – we will sally through the gateway and take on the Masters in direct combat.

D. Try using wormholes to transport men and materials towards the nearest G-type main-sequence star in order to build the bomb there.

As for getting there;

A. Surrender. All we need is to get our people and equipment in place. It doesn’t matter whether we’re travelling with the Star League or over the flaming wrecks of their fleet.

B. Take on the Star League, head on. I find it unlikely that the Masters will like us winning, but once we defeat the League their systems will automatically recognize us as the winners of the game, allowing us passage.

C. Distract the League with our fleets while we attempt to infiltrate the gateway with a small, stealthy squad of elite units. This choice precludes the building of any bombs, however, as those devices will end up being too large for any stealth mission to work.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Can't resist voting

AAB

:glee:

^ Top  
  5. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B
    D - after defeating the League we can acquire another star. Hell, I doubt the League guards every star in the Galaxy. Stars with habitable worlds, maybe. But not every single star.
    B

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Don't forget you only have six months. Defeating the League then grabbing a hypergiant might be nice but sadly the pact you made means you don't have enough time to prepare after you defeat them. It'll have to be done in one shot. As for going out and getting another star right now, it is doable with wormholes but the sheer amount of trips required means that certain someones in another dimension might notice and get suspicious. Not recommended.

^ Top  
  7. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    By the way, the automated defence drones are most curious. Why the hell would the Masters be incapable of changing their programming?

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Firstly, they can't interfere directly right now without taking an avatar. Secondly, they supposedly set the rules themselves. They will bend but not break the rules outright for whatever reason best known to them alone. Though given that no one besides them knows all the rules, this might be a moot point. Thirdly, once they're done with the victor they usually collapse the universe and start anew anyway, so a few rotten apples are of no concern, at least not to the point they have to take the trouble to cross over and reprogram the drones from this side.

At any rate, the system is locked and they appear to have no inclination to attempt to change it even if it is to their benefit, and that is all you know.

Anyway, if you guys want to chance warping to and fro in order to build a stellar bomb, then I'll happily offer you guys a shot at it with a D. No skin off my back.

^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Let's just use the sun, we can get a new one once we wipe the masters out.

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait, Shulgi is still trapped in the Sun. I wonder what will happen with his scattered nanites in the Masters' dimension? Will the blast destroy them, or will we be creating another cosmic mystery?

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    There won't be a dimension once you're done with it. :troll:

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Sucks to be him then, I guess.

What does the team look like for 3C?

^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    What's Ean's power level like now? Is he stronger than he's ever been? How does he compare in power to your run of the mill immortal in the current era?

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You'll have a small, fast ship full of named characters. And mechs, of course.

As for Ean's power I addressed that in a previous post, strong enough. :lol:

^ Top  
  15. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Haha, great update, treave. I would vote BAA just because it seems like the quickest and cleanest way to go about things, but do we really want to kill off Shulgi for good in the process? Hmm. Voting BCC for now, the mooks can distract the League while Ean and the gang take the Masters head on for MAXIMUM GLORY!

EDIT: Flopping to BBA.

EDITEDIT: Flopping back to BCC.

^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Do we need that Sun thing?

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What is the estimated damage from depriving Terra of a Sun?

^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, are the Star League attacking Empire space at the moment? If so, it seems like 1B is the way to go since it saves us the time of attacking our own people. I mean, if the defectors are going to end up fighting the Star League forces in their system for us, then why bother going after them anyways? The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I'm very wary about 2A/B. We don't know what sort of consequences collapsing an entire dimension could result in, and it's quite possible that the Masters have a contingency for this sort of situation over the millions of times that they've played this game. And even if we do succeed in taking out their dimension, I don't know what the results of that would be. Nevertheless, taking on the Masters in their home dimension seems like a fucking insane proposition.

A war with the Star League is not a great alternative either. The technology of our CF and the nanotech that Senya is implanted with is all produced (and thus prone to interdimensional manipulation) by the Masters, so we really have to be aware of that if we're going to fight a war in which the odds are rigged against us. Getting rid of all that fancy tech is a must in a direct war with the Star League. Expect the possibility of having to fight CF's like the one that we made, without using any Master tech on our side. It's a serious disadvantage, but that's what it's going to take to fight these fucks.

Another possibility is a Trojan Horse strategy. Surrender to the Star League so that the defenses open up to us, while creating a bomb with the 2D strategy while they are unawares. But then there's the possibility of being discovered along the way.

Very tough series of choices here.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    BDA
    Good update, doubt that we will be able to defeat masters head on. Probably we either win game and try to not fulfill ending conditions or we blow things up. I wonder how much data corruption will it make.

Hmm is B dimension collapsing thing or galaxy range high explosive?

^ Top  
  20. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Wait a second:

treave, do we possess the remaining pieces of Vajra after we defeated Marduk? It occurred to me that Vajra could provide an alternative to Marduk's plans:

Sure, Marduk's knowledge is lost to us, but perhaps there's more than one way to skin a cat here; if we manage to steal the piece of Vajra in the League's possession in a lightning assault headed by Ean while most of the Star League's forces are distracted attacking Empire space (1B), perhaps with all three pieces we can create an alternative gateway of our own into their dimension. We don't necessarily have to win a rigged war - we just need to bypass the defenses that the Masters have set up in our way, and Vajra could provide an opportunity to do that.

However, there's the matter of finding the fucking thing in the first place. Also, I don't know if this might backfire horribly; it's quite possible that the moment we put Vajra together, the Masters will simply teleport it to our enemies, granting them victory. Perhaps having it under Ean's possession would make it impossible for them to take it from us? After all, he isn't bound to the Masters.

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You don't have any pieces, it's been black holed. I did say it was on the Emperor physically. Completing it would have been an alternate way to reach the Masters, but that's no longer possible.

The Star League are currently consolidating their hold over Imperial territory with little resistance. They have perhaps 200,000 ships in the area, with another 200,000 defending their own space. Numerically you are not that disadvantaged thanks to the Imperial fleet. As for the technology, the Masters can't actually interact with it physically unless it specifically came from them like the quantum computer. It's not a real problem, this is the reason we pursued black hole technology. They can't redirect a wormhole or close it. Attempting to affect a person mentally, playing with their perception while passing through a hole, yes. Not much they can do besides that short of manifesting and showing their full strength. Anything else will be manipulation and a reliance on the League to do their work. Senya doesn't have any nanites either, they were flushed out when he got his tentacles back.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We wont need the sun once we finish the Masters. Senya will then kick the Overseer's butt and rewrite the universe with Better Rules.

And as treave already stated, the CF tech does not rely on Master tech. The nanites were inactivated when Sekh implanted Senya with tentacles again. He's "free".

Take the sun, make it into a WMD and fuck the masters. We'll need ships to cut off the League at its roots, while half of its own fleet is off into Empire space. We cut the head of the snake, attack their homeworld and have Ean the Tree curbstomp them, once their defeat is acknowledged, we bomb the masters and all's golden.

^ Top  
  23. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    So, about the surrender option. How exactly are we going to sneak in a gigantic sunbomb Trojan Horse-style without our captors noticing that we have it?

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    From this
    it looks like Ean and Sek can double as scrambling devices against the masters, too.

I'm personally leaning towards sending an infiltration team while distracting the League with the fleets. If we wiped the floor with the dude that was supposed to devour them (and it seems like Ean could've done the same thing had the fight been on the ground), plus all the superhumans we have on our side, I think we can take 'em. Destroying their knowledge seems like a tremendous waste.

And I can't see a better way to finish off this LP than a Jagged Alliance 2-style seek-and-destroy campaign through the Masters' reality with our Hall-of-Fame. (And a Senya-Ean trollteam.)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    BAA - (I'm a lamb after all.)

Leaving the traitors to the League will ensure we're finished with the bomb before the enemy comes a'knocking.

We're at the end and and facing the Masters. We can't afford to do half-assed things like using jupiter or stupid things like rushing the gateway head-on. If we defeat the league, they'll just collapse the universe with us in it. If we invade, our forces will be wiped out before they reach the Masters by the planet destroying turrets. Also, Senya may not have immortal tech, but Ean is loaded with it isn't he, treave - or did eating the voices mean devouring the nanites too? If he still has immortal tech in him, they could use it against us should we attempt the stealth route.

Besides, these are the Masters we're talking about. Do you think they'll be defenseless when inviting in the most powerful beings their experiment has to offer? They'll be ready for almost any fight we could possibly put up. A sun bomb being the exception to that "almost"...

And anyone who votes 2d after treave's warnings that the masters will figure out what's up is asking for what happens next.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.