Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Kipeci

Arcane
D, though I'd have gone for A if it had popular support.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A is a mindfuck attack. He doesn't die, he'll just go catatonic forever... or until someone skilled in healing minds repairs it. It has the advantage of confusing his men, buying you more time to make a run for it. Killing him visibly is only going to make them go "the bastard killed the King, git 'im!" after a brief moment of shock and they're coming after you, which is what you want if you want them to leave the protection of the walls and out in the open where you can do your thing....

Bloodshifter

Educated
Still the same vote as earlier (D) but I say we tell him we wish to killKumare he should grant us that and we easily can go home collect the bro's and MOVE OUT. and show Kumare the awesomeness of being spineless literally

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We installed Wanketh so we could be the man-behind-the-scenes, correct? In Astarth, we have someone crafty who wants to unite Egypt, exactly what we wanted. We just placed our bets on the wrong politician.
Let's back Astarth. We've lost the political game, there's no reason to endanger the rest of Egypt. We're easily powerful enough that we can just say "fuck it" and leave whenever we so desire. I opt for option
C

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C - Azira has me convinced. Besides, I never cared for Wanker anyway. We'll unite Egypt, and then train the Pharaoh to heel like the good dog he is.

Kipeci

Arcane
I do like C for that sense, but I also hate ditching our bros, which is why I prefer both D and A over C.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C isnt ditching our bros, we'll take them with us. Then we can get to work on making the uppity mortal our servant and enacting utilitarian policies.

Did we learn from Astarth along which route are the messengers stationed? Because I'm thinking we don't have to be faster then all of them, just some of them. If we know their approximate route we can run along it feeling for anyone around us - and then kill them before they can relay the signal. Every messenger we take out will give us valuable time.

If this is an option, I'm voting A - take out the fucker, go back to the army and explain what happened, then run. Fuck Wanketh, we must save the city and our friends. If A is not likely to work, then C it must be (provided our friends are safe) - we can always deal with Astarth later (remember what happened to the last king we were general to?).

EDIT: Just realized it's the signal to stop the poisoning that needs to be send. In which case we don't even need to run to Memphis. Just learn what the signal is from Astarth or from the first messenger we come across, then send it ourselves.

EDIT 2: Flip - Flop to C.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If we wish to save our friends, we need to work with Astarth. We don't know what the signal that needs to be relayed to stop the poisoning is, and even though we can mindrape someone for the answer, it doesn't mesh well with our character so far.
We turned down the opportunity to be pharaoh ourselves, why the distaste for serving someone actually competent? Yes, Astarth has planned and plotted to take down his opponents, but he's also clearly a man who appreciates martial prowess. And he clearly does not know what we're really capable of.
Let's swear allegiance for now and have him spare Memphis and our friends, and then set to work on stabilizing Egypt and killing tentacles. :salute:

Esquilax

Arcane
We installed Wanketh so we could be the man-behind-the-scenes, correct? In Astarth, we have someone crafty who wants to unite Egypt, exactly what we wanted. We just placed our bets on the wrong politician.
Let's back Astarth. We've lost the political game, there's no reason to endanger the rest of Egypt. We're easily powerful enough that we can just say "fuck it" and leave whenever we so desire. I opt for option

I didn't want Wanketh on the throne so we could rule behind-the-scenes, I wanted him there because I thought it was the option most likely to ensure stability in the region and that he'd be the man most conducive to human progress in the far future. Astarth is cunning and strong, but his ambition and ruthlessness mean that he doesn't care about the cost of his ambitions. Perhaps we can temper his influence, and when the time is right, overtake him.

even though we can mindrape someone for the answer, it doesn't mesh well with our character so far.

Then again, does being the employee of a ruthless King after our previous experience of following a man just like Astarth mesh with our character so far? I could see Ean doing something like A, then running straight for the city to stop the poisoning, or D, but working for Astarth? I dunno, man. The intention with putting Wanketh on the throne was just to get a stable, non-aggressive ruler on the throne then gtfo.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C - Contingent on us getting to kill Kumare. We can always scramble Astarth's brains and take over at a later date.

kazgar

Arcane
Can't see what the focus on Kumare is, most likely he was just one of Astarth's agents/a stooge and trying to work on a number of his plans, getting you out of the city was paramount so the trap could be sprung.

Paranoia's turning all the choices weird, but when you've lived that long, maybe madness is the only result, and its spreading to the participants.

Saving the bro's is paramount and in character. Risking the genocide of a whole city (and bros) seems a little unlike our protagonist.

Then beyond that it comes down to hanging around with Astarth to a) make sure he's not tentacle controlled and/or b) unite Egypt under a strong and stable ruler allowing you to rape tentacles. (assuming working with him saves memphis and your bros)

or

Getting you and your posse outta dodge, let egypt sort itself out.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
even though we can mindrape someone for the answer, it doesn't mesh well with our character so far.

Then again, does being the employee of a ruthless King after our previous experience of following a man just like Astarth mesh with our character so far? I could see Ean doing something like A, then running straight for the city to stop the poisoning, or D, but working for Astarth? I dunno, man. The intention with putting Wanketh on the throne was just to get a stable, non-aggressive ruler on the throne then gtfo.

Then we should have put Akil on the throne, but bygones are bygones. We have to deal with the current situation. M:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Can't see what the focus on Kumare is, most likely he was just one of Astarth's agents/a stooge and trying to work on a number of his plans, getting you out of the city was paramount so the trap could be sprung.

Paranoia's turning all the choices weird, but when you've lived that long, maybe madness is the only result, and its spreading to the participants.
At this point we know Kumare is a traitor who confidently lied to us. He may or may not have the ability to shield his thoughts from us. Maybe he's Shulgi, maybe not. Call it paranoid if you want, but had we shattered the guy's mind in the first place - or at least touched him and read it - we could have avoided all this mess. Better safe than sorry.

Baltika9

Arcane
A- it's the only correct choice, bros. Scramble Astarth's brains and get back to Memphis ASAP. Save our bros and then gauge the situation from there. Besides, Shulgi will most likely plan to get his hands on them. Astarth will have us killed as soon as we're no longer useful, or too powerful, just like Sargon. And why would we want that?

By the way, treavebro, I think Sukhenun is more popular than Anbar-Shi.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
At this point we know Kumare is a traitor who confidently lied to us. He may or may not have the ability to shield his thoughts from us. Maybe he's Shulgi, maybe not. Call it paranoid if you want, but had we shattered the guy's mind in the first place - or at least touched him and read it - we could have avoided all this mess. Better safe than sorry.

You had rejected Kumare's proposal - his shiftiness made you wary. Before he left you managed to place a hand on his bare, left shoulder, but you only managed to read some vague thoughts about Astarth before he smiled at you and walked away.

We did manage to touch him and get this reading. I'm not convinced he's Shulgi. Might be he is just what he appears to be; Astarth's stooge. He did as his lord told him to. Should he die for this?
He wanted us out of Memphis so we couldn't protect the Pharaoh, nowhere is it apparent that he wanted us dead or wished us harm at all. If he really serves Astarth loyally, he'd be much more likely to want us on their side, unharmed. We're too great an asset.
I still advocate that we make the best of this sour turn of events. We wanted to stay in Egypt to stabilize the region. We don't do that by potentially letting a city die of poisoning and killing/making a vegetable of its most legitimate ruler. We're a one-man army, not James Bond. Our mission is to kill tentacles and hone our "honourblade", develop our own powers. Astarth is no real threat to us, unless he's under tentacled influence, and if he is, we should work on freeing him from that, so Egypt gets a proper ruler. :rpgcodex:

Flip - flopping to C. Astarth seems to know we can read his mind (why else would he let us touch him), so unless he was stupid enough to actually know the details about the signal and the messengers, we aren't likely to learn anything from him. He probably had some other person set up the whole thing - someone that is going end up very dead before we can reach him if anything happens to him. And just running to Memphis is just too risky. So, if he can guarantee the safety of our men let him have this victory. Besides, uniting the Egypt was kind of the point of this - we certainly didn't do it for the (already dead) Wanketh. If Astarth turns out to be more trouble then worth, we can always repeat what we did with our last king.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what's up with the Kumare fixation? He's probably just your ordinary traitor / spy for Astarth. There are probably plenty of others as well (because it is unlikely he could poison the entire city water supply alone). We did get some readings from him, so it is unlikely he is connected to Shulgi.

Tigranes

Arcane
C is bad. If we're talking a typical story with no immortals and Gieloth, C might appeal as an option, because Astarth would most likely reward us and keep us around at least for a good few years. But we don't really know who or what is behind Astarth, and thus far, our history in this CYOA has taught us that pretty much any strong character has some immortal, Gieloth or whatever behind them (with the exception of Sargon, who, of course, had Ean behind him).

I'm not too fussed about Kumare, but the cost does become substantial once you factor in our comrades and allies - that is, pretty much everyone who is positive and supportive of Runi/Ean in Egypt. We would be letting go of all the goodwill and friends we earnt through our banishment of Shekhenun. (That's another thing - we don't seem to be getting any credit for that? Did we lose that opportunity in our convalescence?)

A is also bad. To beat such a hasty retreat might make our allies in Memphis think that we have turned on them. They'll be in an uproar after the assassination of Wanketh, so it wouldn't be too difficult for someone like Kumare to paint our return that way. Thus we end up with only B or D as viable options. I'm still on B, at the moment...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
(That's another thing - we don't seem to be getting any credit for that? Did we lose that opportunity in our convalescence?)

No, you didn't. People on the streets do have heard of a Runi as the man who defeated the cult, but the remaining Gieloth in the Delta cities did their best to suppress any news. Of course Wanketh knew too, but he was paranoid it may have been another plot by the cult to return in another form. His dynasty has been one that have collaborated with the Gieloth for a long, long time, and that has built up his paranoia about infiltrators. His men have (had) done their best to downplay your feats - since you didn't want to take power, you didn't try to play up your reputation and give him more trust issues. You weren't likely to start declaring yourself godslayer anyway.

Cities outside the Nile delta, including Heracleopolis, where the cult did not operate overtly, aren't too impressed by that feat. Heliopolis is the only place that really, really adores you, given that they were hit hardest by the cult. They don't like sheep all that much though since they lost quite a few civilians to the sheep army when it swarmed into the city.

Your victory over Sekhenun is also part of the reason why Astarth desires you on his side.

tl;dr, you are known, but mostly by name and certainly not by sight for most people. Awe at your feats vary, being greatest in Heliopolis, Memphis and the surrounding areas where you have been more active, and the lesser the further you go up the Nile. Those who are power-players definitely know of your deeds.

Something to note: if you'd picked to attack the Gieloth from the shadows, you'd have built up quite a bit of an urban legend around yourself.

Baltika9

Arcane
Bro of treaves, if C is the winning option, at least let ean negotiate for the safety of his bros in Memphis.

ScubaV

Prophet
Alright, I'll flop the flip to C with the contingency of safe passage for our bros, should they choose to join us. This will guarantee the city's and their safety and we can always fuck it later.

re: Kumare, whoever or whatever he is I'm confident he's no ordinary human or we would have gotten more than vague thoughts. It could be Shulgi or a Gieloth that's learned that blank voids are a dead giveaway. Or it could be one of their puppets that's been trained or enhanced with powers. Or something else entirely.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You do need concentration and some time to read thoroughly, which you didn't get with Kumare. What you're saying is possible, of course. Best way to be sure is to push him down on some nice Egyptian cotton bed and hold him there, your palm on his naked chest. I can arrange for that. :troll:

At any rate, I think C is in the lead, so I'll begin writing up the update.

newcomer

Learned
You do need concentration and some time to read thoroughly, which you didn't get with Kumare. What you're saying is possible, of course. Best way to be sure is to push him down on some nice Egyptian cotton bed and hold him there, your palm on his naked chest. I can arrange for that. :troll:

Finally, some hentai-esque shapeshifting power in action :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 3.16: Babylon Strikes

Astarth was every bit as ruthless the man you thought he was. He had agreed to spare the men you had brought with you from Memphis, but only If they would follow him as you have. Many did. Some did not, and they died, cut down by Astarth’s warriors as they knelt in front of him, cursing your name as they did so. Luckily, your companions who had been with you since Heliopolis did not cling to some misguided sense of loyalty to the late Wanketh, and they were granted positions in the new regime, along with Astarth’s stooges who had betrayed the last royal of the Eighth Dynasty. You took the effort of embracing every last one of them just to ensure that they weren't an alien monster or immortal waiting to stab you in the back. Despite their general shiftiness and naturally untrustworthy demeanor, you found nothing else out of place. As for the general populace, the craftsmen and traders and farmers of Egypt... few cared which king you sided with.​
Astarth's administration was a strong one, despite your misgivings, and you could concentrate on putting an end to Sekhenun’s legacy in Egypt. You briefed him on the Gieloth, giving him only enough information to let him understand their danger and their tendency to infiltrate human courts – he gave you ten years to hunt down every last one in his kingdom after hearing your words. You did it in three.​
In the mean time, Astarth had launched a campaign against Thebes before he had even settled into the comfy throne he had brought to Heracleopolis from the old palace in Memphis. His reckless ambition was such that he did not listen to your advice to wait until you had completed the task of exterminating the Gieloth in his own kingdom. Though Astarth was a good strategist, and a fearless warrior, the Thebans held out well with the aid of Gieloth sorcery. His spies proved to be of no use, as the Gieloth infesting the court were unnaturally good at sniffing out his attempted plots.​
Near the beginning of the fourth year of his reign, as you had just completed mopping up the last of the Children of Sekhenun in the Nile Delta, you intercepted a message from the Gieloth – a message sent from the ones in Babylon, to those in Thebes. The Babylonians were sending an army against Egypt. In recent years, Babylon had gained the upper hand against Assyria. A decisive battle just six months ago had ended in the death of the Assyrian king – they were a broken lot at the moment. It was no surprise that the well-trained and Gieloth-influenced Babylonians, flush with victory, would march to aid the Thebans, who were harboring the last of the Gieloth in Egypt.​
Eight thousand Babylonian soldiers were headed for Egypt. You were in Heliopolis at the moment, visiting your friend Akil, who had been appointed governor of the holy city. Astarth was still south near Thebes – he had recently taken the town of Dendera, just a few days’ march from Thebes itself. The going was slow, however, as at every turn his soldiers were frustrated by Gieloth conjurations. This has led him to finally send a missive to you, asking you to get down to Thebes so that you could continue your Gieloth hunt in the south. He had more than ten thousand men with him, a great host gathered from all over his kingdom, as he aimed to crush Thebes once and for all. The Nile Delta itself remained lightly defended – if you were to summon all available soldiers, you would not get more than one thousand men. Three years of war with Thebes had drained most of the manpower available.​
There was no time to inform the Pharaoh and wait for his orders to return to you... you will have to make this decision on your own.​
***​
A. You gather whatever men you can and head to the long neglected border fortress of Tjaru. The Babylonians were about a month away from the fortress right now. You will meet Babylon's army there and break them – they cannot be allowed to pass Tjaru and invade the fertile, populated regions of Egypt. You send a message to the Pharaoh telling him of the incoming Babylonians. Astarth can take care of himself.​
B. You send out orders for the cities to defend themselves the best they can in your absence, before you ride swiftly to reinforce Astarth as per his request. Your arrival in the southern battlegrounds would spell doom for the Gieloth; Thebes would simply fall soon after. It is much more important to end this civil war and reunite Egypt. Then you can turn the entirety of Astarth’s army on the invading Babylonians.​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom