Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Partially yes to the pitfalls. That is, they don't block off the path entirely. It would be funny if, say, you had to jump over the pit every time you went out. There's another trick about the pits to do with their layout that Ean is holding in reserve.
Don't tell me - we can fill them with crocodiles?

Good chance of the tower hitting a pit if they decide to drive it up to the gates. You haven't really realized it yet, but that thing is big.
So it is a siege tower? Because if it is a catapult of some kind then B is the only choice. But we know how to build catapults - does it look anything like the designs the voices have gives us?

The path channeled by the fire doesn't run directly straight. More of a slight twisty path. Again there's another trick that Ean has in reserve.
You just like to keep us guessing, don't you?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'll know what it is if you check it out. Doesn't look anything like a catapult. It does kinda look like a siege tower. You don't know if it's hiding anything inside...

Well, don't be too concerned. This isn't a dead end choice that'll lose you the battle for sure. There's advantages to either action.

Well does it look like something we even can destroy? Just how powerful are our fire abilities with the honourblade?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's covered with wood. You can light it, then you can punch it down, or you go inside and wreck it from within...or pull a reverse Trojan Horse tomorrow.

Well, don't be too concerned. This isn't a dead end choice that'll lose you the battle for sure. There's advantages to either action.
Oh really?

[metagaming]
In that case A - my biggest concern was that we wouldn't be able to take out the general alone. But if we can, that gives us an additional benefit - a possible level-up of our abilities, just like the one we had every time we had to fight these things so far. Something to give us that extra edge that we will definitely need. Let's see how that siege tower fares against fireballs.
[/metagaming]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It's covered with wood. You can light it, then you can punch it down, or you go inside and wreck it from within...or pull a reverse Trojan Horse tomorrow.
A reverse...wait...what?
This just gets more interesting as we go along...
This isn't a dead end choice that'll lose you the battle for sure. There's advantages to either action.
Hmm. If that's the case and given that our main objective is to damage the enemy morale... Flopping to A.

Tigranes

Arcane
B

There's a lot of good arguments both ways, but I think the key points:
  • Either way, we can hope to eliminate both the siege tower(?) and the general (A+traps or B+lure to hole). Neither of those are guaranteed. However, we already have quite a lot of info about the Gieloth general, while we don't know what exactly this siege tower is. Tonight is the only chance to get that information before it is too late.
  • No matter how successful we are today, there will still be a siege. We've already accounted, in our preparations, for the presence of Gieloth. We haven't done so for a siege tower with whatever modifications or surprises it contains. Thus it must take priority.
  • If we find out more about the camp, the second Gieloth or the siege tower itself, all the better.
(BTW, treave's comment doesn't necessarily mean we'll actually kill the Gieloth...)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Uh... you do know that doing a Troy is a bad thing if you haven't told anyone on your team... They're gonna panic when you don't come back. It was a joke. :(

a cut of domestic sheep prime

*sigh* Treavebro we can't tell when you're joking, bro. We're dense like that. :retarded:

newcomer

Learned
I've been thinking about this, are we able to establish a one-way (or two-way?) contact with our guy in the fort with mind power? If yes we might be able to pull a reverse troy...

exe

Augur
A for divide and conquer. Killing one of the two present gieloth sounds like a good thing, especially since he is the general. His bodyguards should just be mook humans.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Treave, didn't you say we're prepared to put the entire approach to the fortress on fire? Meaning we'd have the option of surrounding the tower with flames and possibly burning it, just as the enemy is trying to dislodge it's wheel from one of our pits?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You could. As I said before, these aren't dead end choices. Not choosing to go after the general or the tower now doesn't mean you won't get a second crack at them afterwards when the real battle starts, but it will change how the Babylonians attack Tjaru tomorrow.

Baltika9

Arcane
Treavbro, did we leave any bros to guard the passes? And did Ean go to a whorehouse, or is he going to stare at the next Gieloth piece of ass he sees, again?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You have patrols on the walls. Up on the wall, it's a a damn sight easier for your men to keep an eye on the approach to the fortress than for the Babylonians to monitor the perimeter of their camp. But you don't have your men venturing beyond the walls. It's too dark, someone might fall into a hole or something. Ean got some a lot of action while resting in bed after forging the Honourblade. It's a wonder he didn't take longer to recover, actually.

Baltika9

Arcane
You have patrols on the walls. Up on the wall, it's a a damn sight easier for your men to keep an eye on the approach to the fortress than for the Babylonians to monitor the perimeter of their camp. But you don't have your men venturing beyond the walls. It's too dark, someone might fall into a hole or something. Ean got some a lot of action while resting in bed after forging the Honourblade. It's a wonder he didn't take longer to recover, actually.

Mutyre? Did he have her roleplay Sukhenun the whole time?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A

It's covered with wood. You can light it

In addition to that, you order the preparation of fire-traps which will light up and hopefully funnel the Babylonians right where you want them, if not outright burn them.

So light those traps so that the siege engine doesn't have clear path to the gate, or better yet, so that it'll burn. And also

Pretty big ones. If the tower rolls into one it won't be getting out soon...

So I don't worry about the siege engine if we trigger our fire trap right. The Gieloths are more worrysome. Especially the general. Sure there is a hole in our wall, but who is to say that the general is so stupid to use it. He might use if he doesn't know about Ean. But if we go punching down the siege engine with bare hands or burning it in mere seconds with our magic, then they might suspect our presense. And that would make then cautious and rely on ranged Gieloth magic which we can't counter.

But imagine the morale boost our troops get and their's lose when we throw their general's head over the wall. Sure we might not be 100% after that figth, but are we only relying on ourselves? We have more than thousand soldiers defending the walls. They probably can hold it a few days while we regen.

I guess the question is which one you fear more, the general or the siege engine.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I suspect the siege device is significantly more than just a siege tower. Something seems off about it, likely it's similar to Ra's sceptre in that unearthly powers flow through it. Or who knows. In either-case I think attacking the general in these circumstances is not the best idea.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I suspect the siege device is significantly more than just a siege tower. Something seems off about it, likely it's similar to Ra's sceptre in that unearthly powers flow through it. Or who knows. In either-case I think attacking the general in these circumstances is not the best idea.
It's perfectly possible that the tower doubles as a weapon platform as well - there might me several small catapults mounted on it to suppress and weaken the defenders. However, from the description we have it's main purpose is to get the attackers on the wall - something we can exploit with our traps.

The way I see it we have 4 separate problems we have to deal with to get out of this victorious (and in one piece): Gieloth general, the tower, one more unknown Gieloth and an army of 8000 elite troops. The question is, which of the first two are we going to have more problems neutralizing later on? And I think it's the general - he has unknown abilities and next time might be in the middle of the attacking army, beyond our reach, while he unleashes his powers on us. The tower on the other hand is a comparatively known variable (even if we are not aware of its full abilities) - we presume they will try to roll it up to our walls, and even if they avoids the traps we set it will still be vulnerable to fire. It's possible that doing what we did in the temple (only this time amplified by the honourblade) would set it ablaze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom