Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, nice trolling on his part, he did this deliberately to draw us out. :bro:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You know what? Throwing lightning around sounds very useful indeed, but I'd rather we improve our telekinesis. Spreading points around is nice and all, but I'd much rather improve the powers we've already tapped into, however slightly.

I mean, we did tap into the telekinesis branch before, did we not?

Ohwell, A it is. :salute:
Well, we have elemental and telekinesis powers both, they're just piss weak.
A because the flashier options are likely to draw too much attention from cca 8000 angry soldiers?
We can run 60km an hour and we're at the outskirts of the enemy's encampment. Besides, don't you think 8000 soldiers might be a bit intimidated by a lightning strike so close to their base?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, Baran wasn't the one who decided to scout. You guys know what will happen tomorrow anyway.

Re: enemy distance - rest assured you'll survive to see tomorrow's battle! From the safety of your own walls, even.

:thumbsup:

Urist McLurker

Learned
B Since it's been confirmed(enough) that we'll be back on the walls for the siege, I can see a very useful thing to have against that siege tower is the ability to strike it with lightning, I doubt we'll be much good for combat for a while. A seems like it would be far, far too difficult to crush a siege tower, I can't see how C'll manage it either, but just a small enough strike to light it up could help if it fails to fall into our traps.
And outside of the short term, as mentioned before, ZEUS AND/OR THOR!

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
You know what? Throwing lightning around sounds very useful indeed, but I'd rather we improve our telekinesis. Spreading points around is nice and all, but I'd much rather improve the powers we've already tapped into, however slightly.

I mean, we did tap into the telekinesis branch before, did we not?

Ohwell, A it is. :salute:
Well, we have elemental and telekinesis powers both, they're just piss weak.
A because the flashier options are likely to draw too much attention from cca 8000 angry soldiers?
We can run 60km an hour and we're at the outskirts of the enemy's encampment. Besides, don't you think 8000 soldiers might be a bit intimidated by a lightning strike so close to their base?
Yeah, but we're currently a bit under the weather (to say the least), I doubt we can run at all right now... But seeing how treave guarantees that flashiness won't be the death of us just yet, all right :) I still like telekinesis best :)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Also, a decent reference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marduk

The first two sojourns are described in glowing terms as good for both Babylon and the other places Marduk has graciously agreed to visit. The episode in Elam however is a disaster, where the gods have followed Marduk and abandoned Babylon to famine and pestilence. Marduk prophecies that he will return once more to Babylon to a messianic new king, who will bring salvation to the city and who will wreak a terrible revenge on the Elamites. This king is understood to be Nabu-kudurri-uṣur I, 1125-1103 BC.[9] Thereafter the text lists various sacrifices.

Come to think of it, wasn't the cult of Marduk based around us? If so, it seems a Gieloth has come to take our place in the legend. This injustice must be righted.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
People. What we're doing here is a last-ditch effort to avoid being killed by the Gieloth. We will not be replicating this feat soon. So don't expect impressive lightning strikes, spears of light, or Bigby's Crushing Hand again anytime soon. :M

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B

Now we only need to develop batteries and the future's energy crisis is solved. In the mean time we can play Thor/Zeus.

Edit: Flopped.

Tigranes

Arcane
B, flashy is not a bad thing for someone in our line, as we're showing ourselves not so excellent at infiltration. And that's both Ean and the decision-makers, gais.

Still, at least we get to get rid of this guy when he's not with his brother.

Collage

Educated
I'd say B is better for our budding COME AT ME BRO attitude. Shock and awe, amirite!?

Flopping to A for general usefulness.

Bloodshifter

Educated
C thunder is good and all but we can only use it out doors seeing as its actually nature control C gives us the power to handle energy the raw form of ANY type of power be it telekinesis or thunder strikes at higher levels or greater control we can make "thunder" out of thin air anywhere regardless of conditions or any form physical damage sustained not to mention we can maybe form a shield or armour of pure raw energy *with great control and focus* and even influence any power that use this energy imagine stopping a bullet and then throwing back its kinect force on imagine that a thousand times or a telekinesis shock wave dissipating before it can hit us.

in short vote C the good stuff will come later but the best stuff is now.

Kipeci

Arcane
Think of the possibilities! We could give the crushed meat ball to a child and have hilarious games for the kids for centuries to come.

Esquilax

Arcane
Nabu seems like the real power behind the scenes. His psychic abilities are really worrying: he was able to remotely shield someone else's mind and attack ours at the same time - that's fucking nuts. If he's that powerful, finding out the presence of our exposed northern wall by reading a soldier's mind will be a breeze for him. This leaves us at a bit of an impasse: do we remain at the wall to burn down the siege tower, or do we rely on our men and our traps to take care of it and instead guard the exposed hole to make sure he doesn't sneak through?

If it's the latter, light/energy manipulation seems the more useful power. We're in rough shape, and momentarily blinding this guy with a flash of light could be the only thing that'll allow us to kill him. We aren't going to be half the warrior we normally are tomorrow, and we need every edge we can get. In our physical state, I doubt we'll be able to land a single swing on Nabu, but if we can blind him with light manipulation, that will be all we need to end him.

When you come down to it, this battle will be decided on one thing: who remains standing, Ean or the Gieloth? The Babylonians have already lost heart now that their commander is dead, we kill their other leader, and they will lay down their arms.

I'm flopping to C. The traps are enough to at least hinder the tower. We should probably wait for the other Gieloth at the northern wall. He is the cunning type, and I'm certain he'll try to sneak through. I'm speculating that he will try to use his psionic abilities to get our men to fight amongst themselves while the tower strikes the front door.

A for force choke.

For several reasons:

First, now that it looks like we are going after the big boys, it would be better to be a master of few abilities then a jack of many but master of none. Telekinesis improves a power we have rather then adding one more we need to improve to make it really useful. The current effect is the result of extraordinary circumstances - I don't think we will be able the pull this kind of thing every day.

Second, telekinesis is way more flexible ability then B or C. It can be used offensively - either directly or by moving other objects. But unlike B or C, it can be also be used defensively - to deflect a physical attack (against us or against our men) or move air / sand to create a sandstorm to hide us, and can also be used to improve our mobility dramatically by allowing us to fly. It is can also be used much more subtly then throwing thunderbolts - for example chocking somebody or causing a heart attack. B or C, while flashy and very destructive, are just used for one purpose - smiting somebody.

Finally, I think it is a better choice because of our circumstances. We took a lot of damage and we really don't want to draw attention of the vengeful brother by throwing lightnings before we can recover. Also, treave said we won't be able to pull anything like this for a while at least, and we don't know how effective B or C will be in our weakened state. Will they just cause less damage? Require more preparation? Be usable only from up close? Will they work at all? Where as A can be effective even now - instead of crushing the tower, just make one of its wheels fall of (preferably so that it makes the whole thing fall on the other Gieloth). Plus, its usage is also a hell of a lot easier to hide from our side if we wish to keep our powers a secret then throwing thunderbolts is.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We need more propaganda here people! B's heavily in the lead, no doubt due to the flashyness it exhibits.
Then again, re-reading the description, it seems Ean isn't simply calling lightning, he's sustaining an ionized channel from the Gieloth to the sky, which enables lightning to take that path.
Take the principle further, add an energy source to the base of the channel, and you'll basically be able to build a light-saber. Or am I being silly here?

What I like about option A is that is also has a load of applications. Being able to exert better control on the telekinesis allows for interesting possibilities if we should construct objects ourselves. Add to this, the possibility of flight in different atmospheres (even the lack of atmosphere) as Smashing Axe hinted at. And of course, it's every bit as Jedi to levitate and crush stuff, as it is to throw lightning around.

I guess I just like the idea of the power not being too flashy. I like Ean to be able to be more subtle, crushing the air from victims, strangling them effectively and cutting off all sound, instead of vaporising enemies with thunderclaps.

[EDIT] Also, what Zero Credibility said :bro:

Bloodshifter

Educated
Also, Treave said we won't be able to pull anything like this for a while at least

Exactly that includes A its force, power, and range will all be decreased telekinesis varies depending on the persons mental prowess which no offence Ean but we are not the "sharpest tool in the shed" and C covers all the ground that A does remember its energy manipulation it does not matter the form it takes be it heat, energy, light, movement, or another intangible force it will bend to our will.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
force, power, and range will all be decreased telekinesis varies depending on the persons mental prowess which no offence Ean but we are not the "sharpest tool in the shed"

By the same virtue, this should apply to all Eans powers. I think you're gravely underestimating our avatar. They are powers bestowed upon Ean by the voices and increase with usage, especially in critical situations just like this one. I see no reason Ean would not be able to become the best telekineticist possible, if he focused enough on that.

It just happens that Eans focus has been physical prowess so far.

Also, Treave said we won't be able to pull anything like this for a while at least

Exactly that includes A its force, power, and range will all be decreased telekinesis varies depending on the persons mental prowess which no offence Ean but we are not the "sharpest tool in the shed" and C covers all the ground that A does remember its energy manipulation it does not matter the form it takes be it heat, energy, light, movement, or another intangible force it will bend to our will.
Er, I don't think treave is just going to let us have one power that would make all (or most of) other obsolete. From what we have seen C means throwing energy bolts of some kind. Nothing there to indicate manipulation of light or matter. There might be other applications for this power, but I don't see them right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom