Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You would if you had to look Greek.

^ Top  
  2. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I'm pretty sure that Ariadne is long gone, considering the reason why we were ditched by our supposed 'bro' in the first place.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Bros, if we do manage to become Minos' retainer, which is a good idea if we can pull it off, we'll also have to do something that'll send a message to Sekhenun that let's her know it's Ean who's on Crete.

That being said, I'm for sailing to Cyprus and snacking on Aphrodite. If we can sell a bogus story that convinces Minos to employ us, we can sell a bogus story that Cyprus is a worthy target and/or in Athen's pocket and thus worthy of domination.

^ Top  
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Wait, why is everyone assuming the sword is somewhere anyway? Might it not have been destroyed / absorbed during our super-devouring thing?

Given that we got no such option in the previous update, I'm not sure there's anything hugely important to come from Daedalus, either.

And as Kipeci says, Ariadne being around and willing to talk to us and knowing something specific enough about Sekhenun and us getting to talk to her is a long, long, long shot.

Finally, a retainer to Minos could work, except the previous updates have told us one thing about the dude, he's erratic and prone to killing people close to him.

Seriously guys, I'm willing to flop to any choice if I see some good arguments, but we've been the most harebrained (heh, consequences of what's happened to Ean?) and nonsensical. We're not really coming up with anything that makes much sense in terms of an action plan, which is why I'm hoping we can get out of here for now, precisely to take stock, learn more, take some time, find Sekhenun.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Most likely Ariadne is now stranded on an island between Crete & Aegan.

I guess I'll go with C for now, but can certainly flop to A

^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Okay, I'm having difficulty understanding you. Just a second ago you were on board with the plan of "find Sekhenun and don't tamper with this hunger we've got until we learn more about it", now you're saying "work with Minos and eat Aphrodite!!!" You are not making much sense here.

Tigranes, this leads me to believe that the sword is intact:

Ariadne is definitely with Theseus now, they're both in Athens. If we can't find any clues as we're running through the palace, our next stop should be there. No, not to burn it to the fucking ground, but to find out where Sekhenun went.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I am on board with the whole thing. However, we must consider that we're entering in negotiations with Minos, being an intruder in his castle, stealing a statuette from his treasury and having killed one of his guards(which he may or may not find out about). We might not have a choice later on. He may just say: "You work for me or you're dead." And an opportunity to escape might not present itself quickly. In that case, we must plan for the future. Better to have all the bases covered and best to plan for every outcome. Just saying, it's not optimal, we could do much worse. The guy is psycho.

And about Aphrodite, I want to give her what's coming to her. You're damn right I want her dead.

^ Top  
  8. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Are you arguing for C or for A? Because none of what you said makes negotiating with Minos sound appealing. I've flopped to A because of it. We're an intruder in the maze that Minos loves and he is crazy as fuck. I'd rather take my chances escaping than take my chances trying to reason with someone who is clearly batshit insane.

Once we fully recover, we can return here at another time and take him on. Hopefully we'll be able to catch the presence of Anbar-Shi in the palace somewhere.

For what? She has nothing to do with our current dilemma. In fact, we were the ones that came to her in the first place, she wouldn't even know we existed if we hadn't come to her. Ean is justifiably angry and bitter at this point, but he needs to try and stay calm.

The voices gave us this opportunity because they thought Ean was the only immortal with the strength of character to be able to withstand the burden of such a terrible hunger. Let's not succumb to vengeance.

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I flop to C because of your arguments, you flop to because of mine. Funny.

Don't get me wrong, this is a difficult situation. We risk our life by staying here and negotiating with Minos, yes. But we can be at least somewhat confident that we'll get some info out of the guy, no matter how batfuck insane he is.

Our alternative is to head to Athens. And what do we do once we get there, where do we start looking? And if we do find Theseus there, what the hell are we going to do to him? He's either living in the lap of luxury with his tentacle waifu (in which case he doesn't want to see us for obvious reasons, and all he'll have to do is call for the city guard to bear down on our ass, and we're either dead or we lose his track for a long time), keeping it on the low-down (in which case he doesn't want to see us for obvious reasons, and all he has to do is scream "THIEF!" at the top of his lungs to get the city guard on our ass, in which case we're either dead or we lose his track for a long time), or not there altogether (in which case... "Now what?"). We're not even sure the love potion still works.

And I'm under no illusion that Minos can have a field day with us, and that we have to tell him a very, very clever story and predict his moods. Worst case scenario, we're dead. Moderate success: a) he tells us to take a hike, might even coax some intel out of him, or b) we end up in his employ, and we could do much worse now, at least no one will look for us on this backwater. Success: we get our info and hightail it. Risky, yes, but worth pulling it off.

But this is a fucked-up situation to begin with, and there are no easy choices. The only safe choice here is to run to the hills and hide for a long time until we figure out what's what and hope that Sekhenun finds us. Which isn't bloody likely considering she probably thinks us dead.

Can I go back to making shitty one-liners now?

Edit: I liked the "I hate Athens part."

^ Top  
  10. Kattze Andhaira

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    treave, Some questions bro.

Is Minos aware of the role that we played during the Gieloth-Master conflict?
    Do we still have some kind of a telepathic connection with the Anbar-Shi despite our current condition?

I think I'm flipping to A. Stealing the statuette, killing his guard and the fact that he isn't aware of Ean's abilities (martial or otherwise) might make it seem as if Ean is just some common scum that needed to be dispatched. I think Ariadne (If the love potion continued to work) would have rejected Theseus' advances and might still have remained in the palace to search for her beloved (Ean). We can use her help to hightail it out of Crete and rebuild our fortune somewhere else (Carthage? Mycenae? Asia?)

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well... Minos doesn't even know who the fuck you are. He generally ignores anything not related to bulls. Generally. Also you don't feel the sword anywhere around you. Could be you can't sense it anymore, could be it's too far away, could be it's gone for good.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Repost: Treave, requesting a confirmation: Ean thinks the Gieloth presence is Minos, or he knows it is Minos. And can he sense any other gieloth signatures around?

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Thinks. It's the only one he can sense. What other Gieloth could be around?

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Ariadne's shy little sister?

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A - 7
    B - 1
    C - 4
    D - 1

Chapter 4.11: Greece at War

Surprisingly enough, the guards make no real effort to stop you once you knock two of them down and send the other sprawling against a wall. They back away from you, their eyes fearful. You quicken your pace and run through the palace, moving away from Minos's presence. You soon find yourself near the outside walls, and with a bound, you leap onto a nearby cart and vault onto the wall. From there, it was a brief hop to freedom, and soon you are safely away from the palace.

At Amnisos, you begin seeking a way off Crete. You have regained some of your powers, but you are still nowhere as strong as you once were. The first thing you notice as you enter the port town is the abundance of military men about. You decide to spend a bit of time asking about recent events before proceeding further, and visit the nearest tavern.

"The king is attacking the other Greek cities, pal. Where've you been stuck this past year?" The innkeep was generous enough with his information, once you've officially become a customer by ordering some drinks.

"Crete, against the other Greek cities? All the other Greek cities?" You can't believe your ears. Despite Minos being a Gieloth, you are certain that two years ago, Crete would only have the military strength to tackle two or three of the Greek cities at a time. Minos did not have enough manpower to conduct a sustained campaign against all of them.

Another man in the tavern, a merchant by the looks of it, spoke up. "Aye, all of them. He'd vowed to tear Athens to the ground, and would have done it too, but apparently Zeus himself ordered the other cities to ally against Minos. At least, that's what I heard. This new king of Athens, Theseus, is much in the favour of the Skyfather. He slew the Minotaur of our own lord, y'know."

If you weren't mistaken, Zeus was a god, and the head of the Greek pantheon. You continue your inquiries.

"And why would Minos want to destroy Athens? Did the loss of the Minotaur weigh so much on him?"

"Oh no, no, it was not because of his divine pet. Theseus dishonored and abducted the princess Ariadne, then murdered the princess Phaedra! All while as an esteemed guest of our king! Where have you been, man? The entire island is still shaken over this."

"Surely Crete, strong as it may be, cannot beat the whole of Greece?" you venture.

"We would not presume to think that even though we love our island and our king so, so much." chuckled the merchant. "King Minos brokered an alliance with Egypt. They've been helping in the war for the past three months now."

It looks like Mehrune's visit had some consequences. You wonder if Sekhenun was still with Mehrune, or if she'd vanished somewhere else for her own purposes. It looks like you have few other leads at the moment.

Stepping out of the tavern, you duck into a dark alley. It may be a good idea to utilize your limited shifting abilities to nudge your features, making yourself look less Sumerian and more Grecian, if you plan on staying in the area.

A. You stow yourself aboard a military vessel heading to the frontlines of the war on the Greek mainland. You plan to eventually head to Athens to investigate the matter of Theseus and this Zeus. Rather than relying on hear-say, it would be more advisable to see the current condition of the region with your own eyes.

B. You take a ship back to Egypt, to look for Mehrune. Hopefully Sekhenun will still be with her; if not, it is still a safer place than staying in the war-torn Aegean for now. Before your powers fully revive, you do not plan on taking any chances with your presence.

C. You return to Minos's court to offer your services incognito. With your knowledge and powers, you could use his admittedly vast resources to find a way to restore your full strength. He will be requiring good men now that he is engaged in a war, and you know how to wage one.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. GameOver Educated

GameOver
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B. Screw Greece, Sekhenun is the main priority.

Now let's just hope Sekhenun isn't on Crete with Minos as her sockpuppet.

^ Top  
  18. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    B. Though Greece is cool and it would be nice to spend some time just doing plain fighting and war, Sekhenun is the main priority. What's your thoughts on this Zeus/Theseus v Minos war? Two Gieloth fighting it out (with 'Zeus' using Theseus as a puppet) or perhaps Zeus is a fellow immortal.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Judging by Aphrodite, the Greek Pantheon will be organized of Immortals.

^ Top  
  20. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Horus was/is a Master. I suppose other chief deities might be too.

Anyway, voting B. There'll be time enough for partying in Greece once we recover.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, if he is a master, then...fuck. Find Sekhenun asap, then.

^ Top  
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B. Let's track down Sek, hopefully we can come to an agreement, or she can at least tap into the artifact for us. We do after all still have a task to complete for her.

Knowing our luck though it will turn out that she's left Egypt and is nowhere to be found.

^ Top  
  23. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
  24. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    B
    Theseus will pay later.

^ Top  
  25. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    B Soul Eater needs to introduce himself to people eating Sekhenun

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.