Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [LP CYOA] Night of the Hummingbird

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It was touch and go for a while, but I'm alive now. Sorry for disappearing for the better part of the year. There were some unforeseen circumstances that put me offline for a very long time.
Picked the wrong hentai option and got a timeskip for your troubles, didn't you?

You of all people should have known, tsk tsk.

lightbane

Arcane
Anyway, I'm going to take a look at this whole CYOA again

If you don't know what to do, I suggest you try making a parody of an Isekai story. They are all the rage lately and a Codexian interpretation of one would be glorious. Or embarrassing.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Clearly it'd have to be named "I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts And My Only Communication With My Old World Is Through The RPGCodex Forums"

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Thanks for leading me to that cliffhanger story. Now I will have to trawl the deep dark Japanese 2ch interwebs to find out how it all ended.

Anyway, prognosis for this one restarting: not good.

Kipeci

Arcane
After all this time I’d imagined it would be difficult to swing back into old ideas and plans even with notes. No problem. Don’t hesitate to tell us if you are ever inspired to start up something else on or offline, though; I don’t care if it’s a braille cookbook or what.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
More'n the CYOA, I trust you're doing alright now.

Yeah, thanks. I'm doing fine in real life, for a certain definition of the word fine.

After all this time I’d imagined it would be difficult to swing back into old ideas and plans even with notes. No problem. Don’t hesitate to tell us if you are ever inspired to start up something else on or offline, though; I don’t care if it’s a braille cookbook or what.

Pretty much. On top of that I think my writing skills have massively rusted away over the past year of inactivity; was just reading my old CYOAs and I'm actually amazed I managed to write some of those scenes. It's a strange feeling.

Kipeci

Arcane
More'n the CYOA, I trust you're doing alright now.

Yeah, thanks. I'm doing fine in real life, for a certain definition of the word fine.

Pretty much. On top of that I think my writing skills have massively rusted away over the past year of inactivity; was just reading my old CYOAs and I'm actually amazed I managed to write some of those scenes. It's a strange feeling.
Which one of yours CYOAs is your favored one to read through, by the way?

Also, if this one is not going to be continued, can we ask questions about some of what was going on as in the end of the other CYOAs? I’m pretty curious as to what the plan of those guys with the blue dot masks was for the coup, and how I guess we were supposed to go about unveiling and doing anything about it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Definitely Legend.

Also, if this one is not going to be continued, can we ask questions about some of what was going on as in the end of the other CYOAs? I’m pretty curious as to what the plan of those guys with the blue dot masks was for the coup, and how I guess we were supposed to go about unveiling and doing anything about it.

The fundamental plan for the coup was pretty straightforward. As indicated in Ending 1, it was a massacre. As you went through the various perspectives you'd have found out more and more about who and what was involved. However, whether or not you would want to stop it was something I had planned to be a dilemma. IIRC the various endings you could stumble upon were supposed to set up lines of history that were horrific in inverse proportion to the personal happiness of the 'protagonist' of each chapter, and ultimately meant to suggest the idea that letting everyone die is the best answer.

Kipeci

Arcane

Definitely Legend.

The fundamental plan for the coup was pretty straightforward. As indicated in Ending 1, it was a massacre. As you went through the various perspectives you'd have found out more and more about who and what was involved. However, whether or not you would want to stop it was something I had planned to be a dilemma. IIRC the various endings you could stumble upon were supposed to set up lines of history that were horrific in inverse proportion to the personal happiness of the 'protagonist' of each chapter, and ultimately meant to suggest the idea that letting everyone die is the best answer.
Gotta agree with you on Legend, though Overlord falls in at a close second for me.

What sorts of ideas did you have in mind for the darker timelines where the massacre was averted? Aside from just about everyone at the mansion ending up dead when the coup was bungled, you had the whole nation descend into revolutionary war against itself. Did some foolish attendee have a key to let a rape train of spheres sneakily roll up through a gate and then envelop the world or something?

It's a good idea, especially as I don't think we ever took the action of doing nothing in any of your CYOAs no matter how allegedly lazy the main character was or how ignorant we were of our circumstances.

lightbane

Arcane
What would have happened in Overlord if we killed the Devil Princess and accepted the angel heritage? Was it possible to capture that female angel?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What sorts of ideas did you have in mind for the darker timelines where the massacre was averted? Aside from just about everyone at the mansion ending up dead when the coup was bungled, you had the whole nation descend into revolutionary war against itself. Did some foolish attendee have a key to let a rape train of spheres sneakily roll up through a gate and then envelop the world or something?

In the "OG" timeline, the revolution was ultimately a good thing. A failed revolution, or one that was hijacked by other forces, would end up in pretty major setbacks to the progress of human civilization despite Shulgi's best efforts. Spheres were on the menu, yes.

Though on the other hand, it wouldn't really be anything new for you guys, would it? +M

What would have happened in Overlord if we killed the Devil Princess and accepted the angel heritage? Was it possible to capture that female angel?

It would have been a bad ending route of sorts, since all subsequent choices would be stripped of personality and the only thing you would vote on would be "which place dies next in horrible, gruesome detail?"

lightbane

Arcane
It would have been a bad ending route of sorts, since all subsequent choices would be stripped of personality and the only thing you would vote on would be "which place dies next in horrible, gruesome detail?"

What would have the endgame been for that then? Also, you didn't answer whether it could have been possible to capture that female Angel or not.

In any case, in restrospect I now realize how good your quests were, or even RPGCodex's quests in general. Compared with other quest-focused places, here there isn't a fixation with shitty web fanfiction and/or overrated anime, nor lazy qms who cannot do more than 2/3 updates without ditching the thing entirely*, or politically correct mods that will enforce draconian laws and will hit you with the banhammer for saying stuff like "attack helicopter" or "trap" due being "transphobic", etc.

*Let's plays don't count.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What would have the endgame been for that then? Also, you didn't answer whether it could have been possible to capture that female Angel or not.

Killing everything that moves would be the end-game, I guess. And no, not possible to capture the female angel after you nuked the capital. Poor choice there. :M

Compared with other quest-focused places, here there isn't a fixation with shitty web fanfiction and/or overrated anime

Let's do an overrated shitty anime fanfic CYOA then. I hear that Fate thing is pretty popular nowadays. :M

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:

I decided to reread this quest on a whim and boy, how good it looks compared to the standard drivel at SB and especially SV. I know the previous year I mentioned that fact, but I swear things are really getting worse, with stuff such as a historic quest having the QM banned officially because he wasn't thought-policing posters that said non-PC things, although I'm certain the main reason had to do with the Muslim mods were butthurt at Arabs being reproduced historically (as in, evil barbarians) and that the Roman player characters managed to conquer their main capital and more.

Worse, even here in RpgCodex there aren't many quests as well, besides treave's newest one. Fiction.live/anonkun has more stories with better quality, but lately that too has been degenerating. Only a few authors like prodigium here are really good, but that remains to be seen how long it stays like that.

Anyway, I think it's about time to read the last work treave finished: Spiral. I suppose it should be readable at the very least, right?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I suppose it should be readable at the very least, right?
yeah, but we screwed it up at the end...which applies to most of them in some ways tbh so expect a bit of imperfection. Overlord also got abandoned, IIRC due to a hard drive loss or something. Had some nice moments though.

Epic and Legend remain the most complete works and have an arc that doesn't end with sphere diplomacy ruining everything.

There was also Test Run, which was a short, less serious LP about surviving a Saw-like murder's labyrinth. That's a complete work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom