Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Pilgrimage

oscar

Arcane
Hellraiser 's Europareich series has seen pretty solid decision making. Prisoner of Life started out with some pretty poor decision making but we've gotten pretty good. Generally when people start laying out the merits of their plans and show a willingness to change their vote after hearing other arguments things have gotten pretty good instead of trying to constantly push the Button of Awesome.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
I thought the codex picked flames here so we could engulf the world in flames, if we so chose? Either to be the other option that we refused in the Anime Epic or just because firepower is so satisfying. Neither one means either crazy chaotic evil or pragmatic (anti)hero. It just means a character who wants to take some visceral satisfaction and contentment/power/intimidation in a grimdark, low magic world.

But that's just my newfag view.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Priests rot away mulling over forgotten tomes and praying to their false gods, the common folk stew in their own filth and mutter about better times like good little sheep while the aristocracy chokes the hope out of them, both ultimately die alone and unfulfilled while wishing they had more time left. I refuse to be either. To become something, to gain anything in this world, you must take it by force. The Lord's only mistake is allowing himself to be content with ruling over a gaggle of sub-humans with his whore in his cave.

Baltika9

Arcane
Why do we want power? Simple, really: we want to be above this small, mortal coil; this pathetic, broken world and the apes that call it home. No, for us there are grander things in store, we want to be more than just a man, or a noble, or a ruler.
We wish to leave a grand mark upon this world, to achieve a greatness unprecedented in this realm. And for that...

...for that, we need power.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why do I want power?

Dude, this world is utter shit, power is the only thing that would make existence bearable here, and looking at fatso maybe even power isn't enough to escape the squalor.

oscar

Arcane
To rise above our present condition and help forge a better world.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is a cold barren world where light and hope are dying.

I want power to remake it, to shape it to whatever my mind's eye can see.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Power

demands

sacrifice

The Lord laughs and slaps me in the back, then tells me to get on with my duties.

"Good show. Oi, guv, quit ya sloggin' an' git back t'yer deader harvest, chop chop! Tally ho!"

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why do I seek power?

I seek power so that I might master my own fate. I seek power to be able to fight back against those who would do me harm or stand in my way. I seek power to understand myself and my current situation, so that I might master it.

I seek power to survive.

Rex Feral

Prophet
So that we may never have to feel weak or morally conflicted again.

So that we may be free. Free as in having the power to choose our own path, without any compromise and deal with the heretic or the zealot.

And if we are talking about a hell lot of power. So that we may reshape this damnable world full of slaughter and orgies and general grimdarkness. So that we make things right without selling the world to either the New Church or any other religion.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Fire shall set me free.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Your actions affect so many others than yourself. You will come to realize what little choice you have. You will do what you must, become what you must, or others will pay for your cowardice. You WILL accept the power offered to you.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why do I seek power?

I seek power so that I might master my own fate. I seek power to be able to fight back against those who would do me harm or stand in my way. I seek power to understand myself and my current situation, so that I might master it.

I seek power to survive.
Actually I want to go with this :thumbsup:

Zwist

Learned
Power in itself was not a goal. It was a means to serve. And we meant to serve to feel security, to let go of doubt.
No, there was never a goal. We were a pilgrim. The path, the pilgrimage was the goal.
And as such the reason to seek power was not the power, but its source. A natural progression. The alternative being stagnation.

Now that we have fallen from grace, power is a mean to itself, if no good can fill the void in our soul we must do so ourself.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Though your youth was blessed in many ways and you lightly felt the lash of suffering, you still came across it. As you grew seeing the suffering of others, you learned fear of your own suffering. In order to protect yourself, in order to believe that your fear's mastery of yourself is in fact your self-mastery, in order to keep strong your weak psyche, and in order to keep your fear at arm's length, you desire power.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Your actions affect so many others than yourself. You will come to realize what little choice you have. You will do what you must, become what you must, or others will pay for your cowardice. You WILL accept the power offered to you.
:thumbsup: but he didn't actually offer you power, did he? Didn't he just want to steal your soul and heritage?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The perils of greed.

Power should not be sought. Desiring it too strongly clouds your sight, weakens your thoughts, muddles your decisions. If you should have power, use it, but do not seek it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom