Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Pilgrimage

Esquilax

Arcane
Ugh, we're really going with the 1,2 combo? We're really going to play as a shut-in who spends all day indulging in weird hobbies? Congratulations, we've unlocked the Codexer class.

Okay, I don't see our guy as a badass martial character really. I would think that having the potential to incinerate people at will would kinda make picking up some boxing gloves and sparring a few rounds a lot less exciting than it would to an average Joe. So I get why people aren't too crazy about 4+6 even if it's apparently the best possible combo.

That being said, we really shouldn't overlook 2,6. Gaining some more knowledge of herbalism would probably allow us to put our wards to sleep for a few hours while we explore the fortress to our heart's content. I'm flopping to this, partially because it's probably the next best thing to 4,6 power-gaming wise and 'cause I really want to explore this fucking place.

Look at this line that Issus said before we went to the shrine:

God speaks to us in the natural forms of the world, in the divine geometry and harmony of all creation, in the words of the wise and truth of scripture. It needs not manifest itself in such barbaric ways.

Seems to me that this place was built this way for a reason. And plus, it's just plain cool.

Rex Feral

Prophet
4 and 6 SOUND pretty boring.
Not that 1,2 would sound more interesting, but it's a bit more in character, since you've chosen to be a herbalist at the start of this CYOA. I would've gone with a vagrant.

EDIT: Actually I have a question for root. By choosing 1,2 are we speeding up the main plot or slowing it down ?

Rumsfeld

Scholar
If root could confirm that 1 has a best synergy with 2, then I vote 1,2.
Actually I have a question for root. By choosing 1,2 are we speeding up the main plot or slowing it down ?
What would it be more interesting for you to write, root ? 4,6 or 1,2 ?
What's with all the hand-holding? Why don't we make our choices and then see what happens.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Because the choices are, in a way, obscure as fuck. And since you guys don't seem to reach a consensus, I like to interrogate ask root some questions :)

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
1 and 4! I figure we will be spending a lot of time on our own and its quite likely we will be tussling with enemies or obstacles physically.

And I don't want us to be lord of the trogs, but it would be good to possibly gain some respect for/from our bodyguards plus maybe some affection and understanding? Perhaps we can gain some sympathy for trogs by being friendly with these two top tier trogs. And if not, then we should not feel guilty for having tried to sacrifice that other trog earlier at all, and we learn something!

Rex Feral

Prophet
What ? We chose no synergy option ? :rage:

And they are obscure for me because I don't really know what to expect of them on the long run.

Monty

Arcane
Can't believe we don't get to explore this place and will spend our time dueling with trogs. If one of those people who voted 4-6 for 'synergy' had voted 1-6 instead then at least 6 would have got in! Oh well, guess we'll just have to hope we stumble across a few clues as to the nature of the fortress on our way to our dueling practice. Sigh.

As for this stuff about the options being 'obscure' because we don't know exactly how they'll turn out in the long run, that's the whole point of the CYOA. We make the best guess we can and see how things turn out. I certainly don't see Root telegraphing everything in advance, beyond a few subtle hints. Which is what makes it interesting.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Yeah, and life is also obscure as fuck sometimes.

However I found some things about what Lawful Evil character we should be:

Lawful Evil comes in four flavors:

• Type 1 is those who believe in civic order, and are the villains who believe either in keeping order and control at all costs, or that it's much easier to become ruler of the world by exploiting the existing system than by tearing it down and starting anew. Maybe they like to rule with an iron fist, or publicly playing by rules gives them enough Good Publicity to get away with their evil schemes. If the villain is supreme ruler of their realm, then they are probably either Lawful Evil or The Caligula. This is the canonical alignment of devils in Dungeons & Dragons. Lawful Evil can be the most dangerous alignment because it represents intentional, methodical and frequently successful evil. More than likely megalomaniacal sorts out to "restore/maintain order" by — you guessed it — Taking Over The World.
  • Type 2 is a baddie with a code of honor (personal order) that prevents them from doing truly heinous things, or at least keeps them focused and disciplined. Often a form of Principles Zealot. This code of honor sometimes leads to the Type 2 conflicting with Type 1's when their values and codes conflict with those of main-stream society. This does not make them Chaotic. Types 2's do have a sense of order, just not the one that society at large possesses. If this is the case, expect the Type 2 to be a Byronic Hero or Übermensch. They typically value loyalty in their minions and possess Evil Virtues, and tend to be reliable allies in an Enemy Mine situation where alignments would fizzle out. The second type tends to either perform a Heel Face Turn or suffer death by redemption. The alternative is that they ultimately choose evil over this and cross the Moral Event Horizon. Note that these two types are not mutually exclusive.
  • Type 3 can be The Dragon in a Five-Bad Band or a minion of lower rank. Perhaps they lack the same pure drive that the Big Bad has, or maybe they're just not quite as smart, but they both do what they are told or do what they say that they are going to do, taking the most straightforward and efficient means of accomplishing the task they set out to do. They're a genuine threat, but they're not the real danger. If they're loyal to the Big Bad then they take orders without any problems, and they obey the Big Bad without any complaints. If the villains are going to be killed off, you can bet this guy is going to go down with the Big Bad. They are not The Starscream because of their loyalty to their boss, but they're just as mean in real life as they are at their job, so they're not a Punch Clock Villain either. Type 3 may work temporarily with The Hero if the Big Bad goes temporarily nuts, but this isn't a Heel Face Turn, as they will go straight back to their boss once it's all sorted out.
I would go for Type 2 for this character.

Esquilax

Arcane
Fuck off with this TV Tropes bullshit, I can't stop cringing.

Can't believe we don't get to explore this place and will spend our time dueling with trogs. If one of those people who voted 4-6 for 'synergy' had voted 1-6 instead then at least 6 would have got in! Oh well, guess we'll just have to hope we stumble across a few clues as to the nature of the fortress on our way to our dueling practice. Sigh.

As for this stuff about the options being 'obscure' because we don't know exactly how they'll turn out in the long run, that's the whole point of the CYOA. We make the best guess we can and see how things turn out. I certainly don't see Root telegraphing everything in advance, beyond a few subtle hints. Which is what makes it interesting.

Yeah man, I really wanted to explore this place and get some real knowledge of the world instead of gaining some meagre skill in battle that probably won't be much considering the dark forces we're consorting with. If we chose to become an Ashguard protected from sorcery by faith in God, martial might would have been a dangerous combination. We chose a path of dark and forbidden knowledge, so we ought to pursue things that might help us ascertain the truth of what's really going on.

oscar

Arcane
Having the ability to defend ourselves without relying solely on magic (I doubt this is some RPG where we can go around flinging fireballs like it's nothing, its probably a very draining and difficult process that ) is only a plus that means we're not some helpless frail scholar type.

Remember this is a fairly realistic, low fantasy CYOA. In real life there's serious consequences to not being physically healthy and spending all day hunched over desks. Our character will be a lot more survivable and versatile if he's in-shape and knows how to defend himself. Considering the disease and environment he's living in, right now he's probably a wheezing wreck that's as weak as a kitten.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not quite wheezing wreck. root has listed his stats like this:

Code:
Strength: Below Average
Perception: Above Average
Endurance: Above Average
Charisma: Below Average
Intelligence: Above Average
Agility: Average
Willpower: Average
Endurance is actually above average, but I can see the merit in trying to improve the strength and martial skills. Just don't make the mistake of seeing the protagonist as overly frail. He's survived being brought back to life and the disease has been halted for now. While the stats don't list health specifically, I guess it's not down the drains. Yet. A few alchemical mistakes might change this though. :roll:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Strength doesn't necessarily exclusively lend itself to martial skills, and at the very least we have the assurance now that our endurance will be maintained and our knowledge of our captors somewhat enhanced. If push does come to shove, I'd like us to be able to overpower our guards at the very least.

Monty

Arcane
Of course improving our combat skills and physical condition is a positive, each choice would have added something such as herbalism skills or potential allies. My disappointment with the result is more that I think finding out information about this place and Kurze is the highest priority, 6 seemed the most important to me.

Anyway, it's done - let's hope we don't just stumble around blindly and actually get to the bottom of what's going on.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
images

tumblr_mfra36EKpH1qm6tzso1_500.gif

Rex Feral

Prophet
Review Board ? :?

Well then I guess we won't be able to fuck things up too much in the future.

Rumsfeld

Scholar
Review Board ? :?

Well then I guess we won't be able to fuck things up too much in the future.
I'm sure we will fuck things up, I have foreseen it. Obviously he means the group of writers who collaborate on this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom