Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Test-Run

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Characters

Choose a character to vote for, and you will be locked in for that character until he or she dies. Upon death, you will be able to start voting for another character.

Aaron
NEET

CAUSE OF DEATH: Accidentally broke his neck during a fist-fight with Benton.

Quack-Quack
Gang-banger
Players:
Baltika9, Kipeci, m4davis, Lambchop19, asxetos

Caitlyn
Liberal arts student
Players:
Esquilax, Absinthe, Tigranes, Azira

Donna
Fitness trainer

CAUSE OF DEATH: Detonation of the T-chip within the skull.

Edgar
Homeless man
Players:
a bear named spigot, Kz3r0, ScubaV, Nevill, Rex Feral

Francesca
Vegan shop owner
Players:
Grimgravy, wjw, TOME

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hello and Welcome

It begins with music. Edvard Grieg’s Morning Mood, the perfect piece to start a wonderful and productive day. One by one, the people in the room stir. They come to, being greeted by the peaceful fluting piped in through rusty speakers hanging from the corners of the concrete walls.

First there is confusion. “Where am I? What is going on? Who are you?” These are the questions that they ask.

Then, there is fear. “Where am I!? What is going on!? Who are you!?” When they get no concrete answers as to their predicament, and they find that the only doors leading out of the room are firmly shut, the questions are asked again, more stridently this time.

And later on, there will be the call for calm, and for proper, polite introductions. People are predictable this way.

“Hi. I’m… uh… Aaron. I’m 22, and, uh, yeah. I’m kinda, like, finding myself at the moment… so…”

“You can call me Benton. I’m an OG businessman, you dig?”

“Hi! Caitlyn here… I’m 23 and I’m doing a course on the philosophical art of humanistic gendered theology. It’s nice to meet you all!”

“I’m Donna. I’m a fitness trainer.”

“E’gar.”

“Hello, I’m Francesca, and I’m the proprietor of the Jesus Saves Fiber-Rich Vegan Au Naturel Food Grocer Mart. I’m not sure if anyone of you have heard of us, but we have a very thriving Facebook and Twitter presence, and are at the forefront of organic foods in town…”

“Jesus what? You shittin’ me? Alright, I know they just fucking with us, man. I ain’t gonna have none of this shit, sitting around here with you guys like we’re cool or anything.” Benton is the first to stand up and kick at the locked doors in his frustration. As always, in any group of people you have the ones who are impatient and quick to resort to physical force. Though – to be fair to Benton – this was not his kind of crowd at all. Indeed, he thought that they were a…

Bunch of dumb motherfuckers.

Everyone hears it. Benton knows it, too. That his thoughts are, somehow, being broadcasted to the others. They stare at him.

“What the fuck?” he mouths.

Yeah, the fuck is going on?

Oh, oh my.

Gard’mmit.

Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit.

Everyone seems to have the same general opinion. Before they can proceed to panic, however, the music dies down, only to be replaced by Tchaikovsky’s Waltz of the Flowers, a peaceful and calming orchestral waltz that – unfortunately – does absolutely nothing to soothe their emotions. Which is about what you would expect from such a selection of people.

“What’s with this shitty-ass music?” cries Benton.

“It is rather annoying,” Donna agrees solemnly. “I’d prefer something more uplifting, if they are going to force us to listen to music.”

“Wait, I recognize this song. It’s… it’s the Blue Danube waltz, isn’t it?” says Caitlyn brightly.

“Weaksauce…” mutters Aaron.

Buncha noobs. Heh.

“U-uh… no, I don’t mean anything by it, guys,” he splutters, as the glares are now directed towards him.

A large monitor on the wall lights up, drawing their attention.

Words appear on it, emblazoned on a cue card reminiscent of that seen in silent movies: black and white, and a whole lot of grain.

HELLO AND WELCOME. ARE YOU ENJOYING YOURSELVES?

“It has not been very enjoyable thus far, no offense,” laughs Francesca awkwardly.

IF YOU ARE NOT, TOO BAD. BUT YOU WILL SOON.

“Hey, fuck you, asshole!”

FOR NOW, LET US HAVE AN ICE-BREAKING SESSION.

OF COURSE, BY ICE, I MEAN HEAD. HA HA. HA HA. HA.

THERE ARE SIX OF YOU. ONLY FIVE OF YOU WILL LEAVE THIS ROOM. PICK ONE PERSON TO DIE. MAJORITY RULES.

YOU HAVE SIXTY MINUTES.

The cue cards are replaced with a timer. The number cards flip every second. 59:59. 59:58.

“H-hey, it’s not serious, is it?” asks Caitlyn.

“It does sound like a bad joke, doesn’t it?” Donna frowns, scratching his beard. “It’s probably some reality TV prank. Let’s not pay it too much attention.”

Francesca has knelt down and begun praying out loud. “Dear Heavenly Father…”

Deliver me from evil, hallowed by thy name…

Her prayer resounds both in their ears and in their minds.

Caitlyn makes a frown of disgust. “Heavenly father?” She snorts.

Religiotards…

None of them are taking the message seriously. But as time passes, and as the numbers of the timer approach the deadline, their will begins to waver. And they begin to seriously consider picking someone. Just in case. After all, it is probably just a prank. What harm is there in picking someone?

Group Vote

Vote for:

A. Aaron.

B. Benton.

C. Caitlyn.

D. Donna.

E. Edgar.

F. Francesca.

G. No one.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Is this a Vault 11 scenario where we're in some sort of social experiment to gauge how we'll react? What if there are indeed, no consequences? I'm getting the feeling that we're a bunch of lab rats.

More likely though, we are lab rats, but the computer also isn't bluffing.

Baltika9

Arcane
Benton says G.
'Fuck you, nigga, I ain't gonna be fucked wit!'

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If your character dies, you get to pick another one to vote for. But you can't change midway if the character is still alive. Links to monocled music added. +M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's easy. The old ones have to go to make way for the young. It's the way of the world, the way of life.

Edgar will take one for the team. I am too young to die.

Baltika9

Arcane
Is this a Vault 11 scenario where we're in some sort of social experiment to gauge how we'll react? What if there are indeed, no consequences? I'm getting the feeling that we're a bunch of lab rats.

More likely though, we are lab rats, but the computer also isn't bluffing.

But it didn't say what will happen if we don't vote for anyone. Will a person be chosen at random if we don't play along or will it kill us all?

what if we vote daisy chain style and it's all tied up, do you think that'd have the same end result as voting for no one

Cassidy

Arcane
Donna shouted defiantly in support of refusing let anyone die (G), but she was very obviously freaking out from her tone :

"Do you think life is a fucking psycho game? How about you die, fucking scum? If you need to do this sick shit to feel alive, why don't you get a gun and put a bullet to your head? I will never play along this madness!"

Nevill

Arcane
Will a person be chosen at random if we don't play along or will it kill us all?
Well, that's the question, isn't it?

If I learned anything from games, you have to accept the rules before you start playing. Well, there you go - they said how it works.

But if these guys can herd us here without us knowing, I bet they have the means of enforcing the rules on their end.

Kipeci

Arcane
Shoot, I ended up late. It's no good to have a dissenting opinion with only two votes on a character, will it be possible to start up teams for a character when a character dies and someone else is freed up?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Go ahead and vote. It's fine to have a draw for a particular character at this moment, I'll just consider them undecided (and for this particular choice, refusing to vote. Which is pretty much the same as voting for "no one").

Being undecided might have fun results, like, say, you getting eaten by dogs when you are unable to decide how to handle them.

Nevill

Arcane
Will a person be chosen at random if we don't play along or will it kill us all?
That said, they probably expect that a group of random shmoes won't jump at each other's throats right away. They will need a little convincing. Convincing that refusing to play would be worse than playing.

They won't kill us all, that's no fun, but a random person or two? That's a guarantee. So, are we taking that chance?

Baltika9

Arcane
Benton doesn't seem like the type who likes authority. This guy can go fuck himself.

Esquilax

Arcane
voting G just to ensure Nevill and Esquilax can't kill me off

Haha, for all I know, this computer could end up killing everyone that voted in favour of taking a life. So me and Nevill might be screwed here. Or, if there is one vote for someone, they get picked regardless.

I kinda have Caitlyn pegged as a naive, but kinda selfish millenial type.

Nevill

Arcane
Haha, for all I know, this computer could end up killing everyone that voted in favour of taking a life.
But that would be, like, cheating!
Aaron - Benton
Benton - No one
Caitlyn - Edgar
Donna - No one
Edgar - No one
Francesca - ?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom